Options

Replies

• BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki
    Make Tzatziki!!!!!
    :)

I use the Wildtree Brand of the seasoning and prefer not to add the cucumber within the dip for weird texture reasons but I like Tzatziki as a whole...
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I put it on a bagel or a whole wheat Eggo, kinda like you would cream cheese. I love it by itself also, although I find that some brands I have to add a bit of honey too- even if they have fruit mixed in. I also love it as a dip for a sliced apple.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    isnt greek yogurt way high in calories compaired to say non fat plain put your own fruit in ?

Dannon - Plain Nonfat Yogurt –Serving Size 1 container (170.0 g)
    Calories 80
    Total Carbs 12 g
    Sugars 12 g
    Protein 8 g

Dannon – Greek Plain Nonfat –Serving Size 1 container (150.0 g)
    Calories 80
    Total Carbs 6 g
    Sugars 6 g
    Protein 15 g

Greek definitely gives you more bang for your buck. Love it!
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!
    Its all in the brand I think. The CHOBANI is supposed to be one of the top brands I prefer Brown Cow and another sold at Whole Foods I cant remember the name of. I personally like Greek better than traditional.
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!
    Its all in the brand I think. The CHOBANI is supposed to be one of the top brands I prefer Brown Cow and another sold at Whole Foods I cant remember the name of. I personally like Greek better than traditional.
    Oh yeah try it with Granola!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Try getting the 2% plain, and adding your own fruit, honey, etc. It has a creamier flavor to it. Or, try the Fage greek yogurt, it doesn't have the aftertaste that the chobani has.

I tried the Chiobani and wasn't a fan of it: the Fage is much much better!!!!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I take ripe (or frozen) strawberries, blend them with a bit of agave nectar and then freeze them in ice cube trays. Then I get the Fage 0% Fat yogurt at Costco (a huge one) then I make my own fruit/yogurt blends. I pop a cube or two in the container, cover with yogurt, and it's thawed by the time lunch rolls around. I love the texture and the taste, but to the OP, if you really don't like it...then don't eat it!
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The chobani 2 percent has a few fat grams but it is way better than the non-fat. The 2 percent with pineapple is delish.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here's a scale from 1(yuck!) to 5(yum!) of Greek yogurt brands I've tried. I eat low carb so fat gets a lot of love here, which may or may not fit into your goals. Also in some parts there isn't much demand for higher fat yogurt, so may be hard to find. These are all plain and cost about the same pricewise per oz.

1. Cabot 10% (blue label): Very sour. Only bought when there is absolutely no other brand of Greek yogurt around. Akin to eating a gooey pile of pennies.

2. Chobani 0% (blue label, about $1 for ): Slightly sour, thick, somewhat creamy. 2% is way better.

3. Fage Total Classic (blue label): Not sure % milkfat, probably 10%. No sour taste, creamy and yummy, but not as good as Chobani 2%. Funny considering Chobani 2% has less fat! :huh:

4. Chobani 2% (green label): Easy to find, and if you're fat-conscious it doesn't have much of that.

5. The Greek Gods Plain Traditional (brown label) : Not sure % milkfat, probably 10%. Delicious and creamy. Throw in some low sugar fruits and this is an awesome replacement for ice cream. The only place in town that sells it seems to be Whole Foods.

Whether you like fat or not, making it taste better can be as easy as tossing in some strawberries or dried fruit like apricots/mangos. The chewy texture of the dried fruit releases a bit of sweetness that can help hide the taste/texture you don't like.

In any case, if you can't stand the taste of Greek yogurt, then don't eat it! There are plenty of other ways to get the same amount of nutrients in a form you'll appreciate better.
  • Joy78
    Joy78 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. I can't stand it. Nas-ty.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know there so many people that didn't like Chobani given how often it is in short supply in the store. It is not uncommon to all of the Chobani gone while the other Greek yogurts just sit on the shelf.

It really sounds like it is not for you. If you don't like Chobani I really don't think you will like Fage. If you are looking for sweeter you might to Skyr.is yogurt. It is an Icelandic yogurt that is very similar to Greek yogurt and the Skry.is brand is a little sweeter than Chobani.

But at the end of the day, if you don't like it there are plenty of other things to eat.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I can't get on board with greek yogurt.

On the simplest level-I can't get over paying twice as much as regular yogurt.

I prefer my "sugar filled" 80 calorie Light and Fits. I eat one every day at lunch. I'm not worried about getting extra protein-I get quite alot of that througout the day.

That being said, I probably wouldn't be opposed to trying the plain ones for a recipe here and there.
  • trez8181
    trez8181 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and splenda, but yeah, it basically sucks.
  • emilyw916
    emilyw916 Posts: 1
    Options
    I didn't really like it at first either.. but it tastes a little better if you mix in a little Kashi or other cereals or some granola.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just looked at the one I had. It was Yo Crunch Blueberry nonfat Greek yogurt with granola. 6 oz cup had 11 protein. I like the idea someone said about putting it on a bagel. That's about the consistency of it if I remember, more like cream cheese or something. Maybe if they didn't call it yogurt you wouldn't have vision in your head as to what it should taste like.
    Kind of sounds good right now from talking about it so much! ha
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I definitely think its an acquired taste!
    I like FAGE with fruit (0%) and Siggi's (iclandic style skyr strained non fat yogurt) 14g of protein in only 5.3 oz and 100 calories! I mix it with honey because Siggi's is definitely weird, it takes me like 30 minutes to eat it
  • Shiverss
    Shiverss Posts: 3
    Options
    Chobani fruit flavored yogurts ROCK! Try those.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the store and tried the YoCrunch Greek yogurt strawberry with the granola. I really like this one! :) Better than the blueberry.
  • 5kforme
    5kforme Posts: 23
    Options
    I LOVE my greek yogurt. My favorite is Chobani!
  • tkb3abby
    tkb3abby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in some sugar free jam or preserves (I use Smucker's sugar free strawberry preserves). It's healthier than buying the "already flavored" varieties, but tastes just as good in my opinion.