Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Options

Replies

• sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I heard so many good things about greek yogurt! It has a good amount of protein in it. I decided to try it today and it's so gross! It's completely sour! I am eating chobani greek yogurt lowfat strawberry banana =(
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I heard so many good things about greek yogurt! It has a good amount of protein in it. I decided to try it today and it's so gross! It's completely sour! I am eating chobani greek yogurt lowfat strawberry banana =(

I personally don't care for Chobani...to me it always tastes like it is going bad. Here is the thing about Greek style yogurt...not everyone is going to like it. Fage and Trader Joe's full fat plain yogurts are my favorite. They taste like sour cream, can be used in place of sour cream. Yogurt isn't dessert. Cucumber yogurt salad with garlic...yum! For example. You may never like it...but get creative and you may love it. Keep in mind Greek style yogurt is regular yogurt with some of the extra water stained out. You can make it yourself with you favorite brand of plain yogurt. Just make sure you weigh it before and after so you can refigure the nutrient breakdown by weight, because with less water weight a 2 oz. serving will now be more nutrient dense.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No idea. I love it. Chobani is one of the better ones. Fage is probably the least offensive to yoplait lovers.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's frozen greek yogurt....yummy. Regular stuff has great texture but I am not moved by it either.
  • scarlet_goddess13
    Options
    I ALWAYS buy the one with the honey on the bottom! The other ones dont seem to have a good flavor. Or if you don't get the homey, try adding some sweetener to it...
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. Going back to regular yogurt I find it too runny.

I eat - Danone Oikos Key Lime, Liberte Lemon, Liberte Vanilla & Liberte Honey
  • roses4
    roses4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love greek yogurt...i buy the plain one and add fresh fruit and a little granola with low sugar and then i add a packet of stevia raw....stir it all together and it tastes yummy...
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some people who don't like Greek yogurt really object to the texture (the taste, to me, isn't that different from regular yogurt - it's just very thick and weird-feeling). If you don't like the texture but want the protein, maybe mix it half-and-half with regular yogurt, then add a little sugar or honey?

I LOVE Greek yogurt and eat it every day, but I do like the thicker, weirder texture. I like putting a couple of tablespoons of honey-sweetened granola on it, though, then mixing it all up. The sweetness of the granola mitigates the tartness of the yogurt for me.
  • JoEh1959
    JoEh1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Buy a small can of crushed no sugar added pineapple, drain all the juice and stir in...then add some shredded coconut..pinacolada yogurt..it's yummy.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really like greek yogurt. I eat it plain sometimes. I prefer it in a savory dish, though. I like it as a replacement for sour cream on burritos and enchiladas more than anything. That being said, It's also pretty good with bananas and honey and topped with grape nuts. Just let it set overnight if you like your grape nuts soggy.
  • longleggedgiraffe
    Options
    I eat FAGE 2% I love it! I agree the other yogurts dont taste that great.Since Istrted eating the Fage all other yogurts are screwed! lol They are on the expensive side but I eat them as a treat a couple times a week. Peach is my favorite.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it why it eat?
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Oikos number one maker of greek yogurt! All other brands have inferior greek yogurt!!

Umm add oatmeal or fresh fruit? I looove their vanilla, strawberry and raspberry. black cherry was just meh.

chobani SUCKS. their vanilla tastes like pure vanilla extract.

and i agree w/ ironmanpanda, why eat it if you don't like it?? another person asked about fish earlier, they didn't like it but it's healthy....
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue with greek yogurt is the aftertaste.. I agree with what someone said above.. that it is kind of like eating sour cream. That is exactly how I feel - like I'm eating sour cream out of the container.. It definitely takes getting used to and so far, I haven't found one that I can stomach.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always get plain yogurt and fix it myself with my OWN fruits, honey, etc. You throw enough yummy in the blender, and it eventually erases the taste of any yogurt.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue with greek yogurt is the aftertaste.. I agree with what someone said above.. that it is kind of like eating sour cream. That is exactly how I feel - like I'm eating sour cream out of the container.. It definitely takes getting used to and so far, I haven't found one that I can stomach.

Exactly what I love about Greek yogurt. When I was a kid I loved eating sour cream straight of the container. We obviously all have different tastes. I think plain Greek yogurt tastes a lot better than plain unstrained yogurt. If I hated any yogurt, I wouldn't eat it. It isn't a necessity, merely an option.
  • MizzouChick1985
    Options
    I like the Chobani brand.....blood orange, raspberry & apple cinammon are my faves, but the others just seem to have a chalky-ish texture to them.
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally like it. I use the plain in berry banana pb breakfast smoothies I make. Also eat the vanilla 0% with nothing else added. But if u don't like it don push it! Google things that r high in protein. Also, reg American yogurt is still ok! We must forget that. Just all this Greek yogurt hype reg yogurt has fallen to the back burner. May not get as much protein, but still some good bacteria, etc stick with the tried and true if you don't like the new!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I usually have it stirred through my porridge with honey and fruit. If I have it on its own I add honey. You can use it to make dressings and desserts to.
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like Oikos more than Chiboni, though the mango Chiboni is really good.

I generally don't like the fruit on the bottom of any kind of yogurt, but that's just me. I prefer to just get plain or vanilla and add my own.

I do like vanilla greek yogurt with granola or even with the Vanilla Almond Special K.