Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Options

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ewww I would never eat that stuff!! so expensive and nasty, no thanks!!...plus why would I want to add sugar to it and make it unhealthy!....Its a hype thing at the moment.
  • FIREfitGrl27
    Options
    Hmm, it's hard to get use to. I didn't think I'd like it. What I did was just try a bunch of different greek yogurts out and see which ones I liked and which ones I didn't...

Add more fruit to it....add more honey (i.e. pure 'n simple honey, natural honey, etc)
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I add some Splenda to it and it is HEAVENLY. I agree that without it, greek yogurt is nasty lol
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I mix plain greek yogurt (Fage) with honey and dried fruit. But I hate American yogurt because to me it is sickeningly sweet.
  • oscelyn
    Options
    I personally love Chobani yogurt with fruit on the bottom. Try the Fage brand. My girlfriend hates Chobani too but love the FAGE brand with honey.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Oh sadly Kristi, we don't have a Trader Joe's here, so i don't even have the opp to try it!
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I tried something today and I was in heaven. I added a couple drops of almond extract, a dash of cinnamon, and a few truvia packets (until it was sweetened to my liking). It was so delicious. It almost tasted like cheesecake filling. I added it to the Fage 0% plain greek yogurt. A 6oz serving is 100 calories with 18g protein, and 7g carbs.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I like it. It is what it is.

If I didn't like it I wouldn't make my life a misery trying to force it down. Just find an alternative.

exactly.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    IMO, there is no way to salvage Greek Yogurt. To me, it just tastes GROSS and that is all there is to it. :sick:
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chobani is incredible.. and it is one of the sweeter ones. Fage is separate from the fruit and uses very little sugar in the actual yogurt.. I love them all. Oikos is pretty sweet.. Dannon is good.. Yoplait is the worst. good luck!
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fage is sold at target too.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the Chobani stuff at first either (tried vanilla). I've been eating the Yoplait Greek 2x Protein yogurt. The key lime is AWESOME!!! Then I went back and tried the Chobani pomegranate and that was good. Trader Joe's pomegranate and blueberry is really good too.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i was the SAME way, the BEST greek yogurt is DANNON Vanillia yogurt- I add fresh strawberries..yummy
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt (Dannon) with a Tablespoon of honey mixed into it for the sweet factor...YUM-O!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I buy Kroger Greek vanilla yogurt and layer it with fresh fruit (usually strawberries and blueberries) and bran buds (I find they don't get soggy as quickly as most granola) for a yummy parfait. I can't eat the plain greek yogurt, except maybe in a recipe like a dip or sauce. But liked it right from the beginning this way. Of course I liked champagne and lamb the first time I tried those too. :wink:

But if you really hate it then just eat something else. There are plenty of good healthy sources of protein out there.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am confused as to why a person would try to choke down a food item they clearly don't like.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine
    [/quot

ooh I wonder how this tastes!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!
    You could try another brand, I prefer FAGE, but then again I hate those other sugary yogurt. But here's the thing. If you really don;t like it, don't eat it. Why torture yourself. Just seek out other ways to get your protein in.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I finally tried Greek yogurt. It was blueberry. I think because it's called yogurt you taste buds are expecting yogurt. I found that it was kind of tart and thicker maybe. Definitly wasn't like yoplait strawberry as that's more soft and thinner in texture. Also more sweet.
    It had little granola pieces to mix with it so that made it taste a little better too. I would probably buy it again but I haven't made a special trip for it! ha
    I agree though, if you have to choke something down it isn't worth it. There's too many other food choices. Now if it guaranteed to make a person lose 10 pounds instantly then I probably would change my mind! ha