Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options
ok so I had posted a lil success story of my own with the suggestion that we start a post for the men and get a mens group going to keep us motivated and challenge one another to keep bettering ourselves and offer any support we can either diet advice or workout advice whatever we need, ****** about the wife if you like lol* whatever works. I started out at 198 and am now down to 178, 2 months or so after starting out. So guys feel free to post your results, before/after pics or whatever motivates you. I posted a before/after pic so here is mine to date;
sidebyside.jpg
Now keep in mind that I will be issuing a weekly challenge to the members this past week was to try and beat your personal best by 5% I did one better I beat it by 25%, from 4 miles to 5 in just over 50 mins. Now I want you guys to post up and join up for the friendly competition. It does not matter what size, age, weight, or colour you are just get in the game and lets get things rolling. We can leave the bra sizes, dress sizes, and toms to the girls, this is for the men.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Great photos. I beat my best speed while cross country skiing today. My PB was 39 minutes, I did it in 32 today. In fact I was so fast I did the trail twice, and even the second time around was only 34 minutes. It was a great workout. I have not idea if I beat it by 5% as I haven't done the math, but I was quite happy with it.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Great idea. I have been looking for this kind of a thread. I am drastically over weight, but I am working hard on weights and cardio right now. Check out my blog if you want to know more.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard guys, as a tip for you weightlosstrek try speed intervals, they work great and are a really rapid means of getting yourself in shape. I have tons to tips to help so if you ever want any advice feel free to ask, I also highly recommend mens health magazine they have lots of good tips for men in there.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Intervals are excellent. I have just discovered them but so far the best resource I have found is http://www.intervaltraining.net/

At this point I need to add more weight training. I used to body build back in high school and for several years after that, and I have the weights downstairs. Now it is just a matter of finding the workout I want to do that maximizes results with minimal time. I had all the time I wanted when I was in high school, and could spend hours in the gym. I can't do that any longer, I don't have that sort of time available, so I am looking at other options. Another thing that interests me, which works off the principles of interval training, is Turbulance Training. It comes highly recommended, but I want to know more before I make decisions. What I am doing is working, but I want to put on more muscles than I have put on so far.
  • dmconstruct
    Options
    New here, started counting calories a little over 2 weeks ago. I ran/jogged 2.5 miles in under 30 min. I'm steadily increasing my time on the cardio machines. I have much more breath and stamina since I quit smoking on new years eve. Lots to look forward to in 2011
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    good to hear dmconstruct, quitting that nasty habit is one of the best things you could have done. Growing up I was one of the few who did not get into smoking, drinking on the other hand yeah I did that lots lol. Anyhow further to rileys post I do interval training and turbulence training. I have a 2 week rotation that I follow so never the same workout for more than 2 weeks at a time. I have had pretty decent results so far I am going to be upping the intensity next week see how far I can push it. I have been trying to build up my back muscles more so I can do chin ups lol, not so good on those. Also if you want to get a lot out of the weights in a short time then dead lifts and lunges will work the most muscles, also dead lift to military overhead press in one fluid movement will work lower and upper in 1 shot.
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    Hello, everybody. It's been a long time since I've logged on, so I'll re-introduce myself. My name is Jeff. I go by Murdog all the time, but call me by either. I went for a run with my 5 year old son on his big-wheel. And man... it was reall good getting out again.

I've had this on my mind for some time, to get back out there and change my life. I'm not looking for a quick fix, just change in my life-style. I really miss being active, and my family is feeling it, too.

I'm tired of being tired. I want to change, I guess there's nothing to it--but to do it, huh. This was a great day.

Here's to many more just like it. Have a great rest of the weekend.:smile:
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Are there any weight lifting exercises that you guys find work really well? I have found a couple that work great for me, but I am always on the look out for ways to improve my routine.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Hey murdog, I hear you on the being tired and finally getting off your butt and just doing it. I always liked that saying "just do it" you could not sum up wanting to make a change any better. For me it was just a matter of getting moving and getting through the first few weeks of exercise. Back in highschool and university I was an avid gym rat and I was bodybuilding and getting stronger all the time. I quit when life got to to busy and I went through some completely unessecary bullcrap in my life. I ended up letting myself go and occasionally dropping weight but not really trying (for me it was job dependent for weight loss but never trying really.) Ate and drank what I wanted whenever I wanted and without realizing it was gaining weight. It was not until this past summer that I saw pics of myself and thought "damn I am getting fat, and I do not look happy". So when my wife started making the change in her life I thought no better time than the present and got off my butt and made the changes I needed to get the results I have gotten to date. 20 lbs down and still going, I am much happier, healthier and in almost the best shape of my life for the cardio. So welcome aboard and if you need any advice ask away, we will be more than happy to help you stay motivated.

As for you weightlosstrek I would say that it would depend on what you are trying to work. If you want overall effective workouts then I would be doing deadman lifts to military press in one fluid movement, it will work almost all major muscles and focus on your breathing exhailing on the flex and inhaling on the stretch. It will allow you to focus more strength on the flex and give you a better burn. Never lift anything beyond where you feel the burn for the last 3 reps, I learned that while body bodybuilding, the burn is when you are shaping the muscles and getting the most out of it. I gave that advice to a kid at the gym a few days ago that was damn near popping a blood vessel struggling to lift heavy, I showed him proper technique (and this is more effective than lifting any amount of weight) and saw him last night at the gym, poor bugger was sore he did his chest workout with my advice and he was hurting lol. So then I let him in on my recovery tips and he is going to try that out as well. What I learned from the older guys who had great shape and size was that the weight you can lift will come in time, master the technique first. I also do their tricep workout that i learned with the rope, it hits all 3 heads of the tricep and works that muscle great, I also do dips and skull crushers for them but they make up 2/3 of the arm so do not neglect them when you do arms.
  • nmarch869
    Options
    Permission to come aboard? I currently do 60 min of cardio 5 x's a week. I have hit a spot so I kicked in Kettlebell for 20 min 3 x's a week. I have kettlebelled for a couple of years and really enjoy it. Can feel the HR increase while kettlebelling. Any other kettlebell men?
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    @ rileysowner: Great results. By the way, 5% of 40 min is 2 min so you blew that away ... twice. Do it again tomorrow!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    weclome aboard guys, tell your friends the larger the mens group the better, the greater the pool the broader the input and advice.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Are there any weight lifting exercises that you guys find work really well? I have found a couple that work great for me, but I am always on the look out for ways to improve my routine.

One of the best workouts I ever did was one that I timed myself doing sets of pullups, dips, and pushups. Once I got to a hundred of each, I stopped. The first time I did it took me 40 minutes, the next time 30. My final sets of pullups I could only do about 3, but I kept going till I got it. Every muscle in my upper body was sore for the next several days, including my abs.

I've thought about incorporating snatches, and power cleans into my routine, but still unsure as to how to break up my workout to incorporate them. I'm also afraid that I will have to lighten the weight too much to push my quads enough.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    @ rileysowner: Great results. By the way, 5% of 40 min is 2 min so you blew that away ... twice. Do it again tomorrow!

I will see what I can do, but back to back it is unlikely I would improve on it, as the muscles will take a while to recover. I am hoping the snow is still good today as the temperature is above freezing and often that will cause negative changes in the snow. One day no matter what I did the snow kept sticking to the bottom of my skis. I was really slow that day. :smile:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    The main idea is to just push yourself beyond your comfort zone, and how much past it you can maintain for a set period. When I did my 5 mile about midways through I got a brutal cramp felt like someone driving a knife into my sides first the left which lasted for 3/4 of a mile and the second on the opposite side that lasted for 1 mile. It hurt like hell but I pushed through. I find thats one of my bigger problems with running is getting cramps in my abdomen area that hurt like a mother, depending on the day it can be light or none at all to pretty nasty. I went from bad shin splints killing me for about a week of training to these cramps now. It may have something to do with when I eat prior to running but either way I push through it.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Newfiedan, you were mentioning you had some tips for recovering after a workout, anything info you can provide would be great.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    What I do for recovery from workouts is simple really, within 1 hour of the workout I drink a shake that raises the blood sugar temporarily to help the body absorb more protein or at least as much as it can at 1 time, the shake recipe is;

1 scoop of body fortress protein powder (cookies n cream is the brand I am using atm)
    1 small banana or 1/2 a large one
    4-5 strabwerries frozen ones
    1 tbsp flax seed (added fiber and great for the heart)
    1 cup of very cold water alternatively you can use some ice
    1/2 tsp cinamon for the antibacterial properties and the taste
    Blend till smooth

For breakfast I have a high protein breakfast typically 1 whole egg combined with 2 eggs whites some green pepper for the vit c some cooked mushrooms for the vit d and a wrap for the fiber. Usually a dempsters ancient grain wrap, and topped with salsa if you do not like the taste of egg whites. If I am really sore I will add some spinach to the mix as well to up the vit intake.

Post workout supper is a large veggie stirfry with a lean protein like chicken, pork loin, or some beef. Beef is best if its nice and lean due to the creatine content. I will make this up with a low sodium beef or chicken broth and some garlic cloves. Usually eating 1 or 2 bowls of it. if you need an extra filler add a little brown grain minute rice to fill you up. No more than a cup though. You can store the rest for a meal the following day At night usually an hour or so after supper I will take my multivitamin, and 2 omega 3 capsules (if you eat lots of salmon or cod you do not really need this) and some walmart brand joint care as I have some knee and hip joint problems that flare up time to time. In addition add some almonds, peanuts and pumpkin seeds all unsalted and unflavoured as these are a great source of the good fats which will actually help you burn off the bad fats. Almonds are king in this department. Also make sure broccoli is in the diet I use this in the stir fry along with cauliflower and some watercress and bean sprouts. Post workout make sure that you keep the muscles loose and stretched out it helps to improve felxibility and blood flow. Do a flex show in the mirror if you like, it helps loosen/stretch the muscles afterwards. Once my meals are done and I have stretched out I relax for about an hour and clear the mind of stress. Stress is the enemy to recovery a happy man makes for a faster recovery. Any more tips you need just let me know. I also bought a book called the 4 hour body by tim ferriss to read up on his recovery methods and tips. I will post what I learn on here for the men.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Permission to come aboard? I currently do 60 min of cardio 5 x's a week. I have hit a spot so I kicked in Kettlebell for 20 min 3 x's a week. I have kettlebelled for a couple of years and really enjoy it. Can feel the HR increase while kettlebelling. Any other kettlebell men?

I do them on my cardio days and they are harder on my cardiovascular system than any running I do, they are great. I need to get set for home to work on my core.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. I actually had a kick *kitten* week last week with my lifting and cardio. My cardio always seems to be on point but this week my lifts are all up except for my shoulders. I try to go easy on my shoulders because my left one always feels sore. I leg pressed 450lbs last night!

This weeks goal is to run outdoors at least once. I've decide to enter a 5k in May. So I need to get some road time.