Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options

Replies

• WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Any Olympic lift is pretty tough from what I know. But they sure do work a lot of different muscles at once and develop power.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Ok guys this week is done, so I hope that all of you threw in a new exercise, for me it was elliptical, rowing and tabatha thrusts, still have to work on the form for that one, this upcoming week its going to be snatches getting thrown into the mix, I was a litte disappointed with the weeks cal burn as life was a little hectic this week but I did notice that I am getting stronger all the way around. I shall conquer that chin up bar, that is my next nemesis in the gym I feel that I have conquered my old foe of running lol. Anyhow guys enjoy whats left of the day and I hope that you have had a good week. For those who have added me as a friend look to your pages for the updates and challenges. I am working on a doozy for this coming week so brace yourselves its going to be a cal burn goal for the week. Running got boring after 2 miles on friday which i thought was funny I am going to try a change of venue to the track this week for that.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Chin-ups are a long term goal of mine. Can't wait until i am able to do them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    If you can't do a pullup (I still can't but am getting closer) this might work for you. I haven't been diligent with it, but do use the negatives to get my back strength up http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14892
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I have been working the muscles in my back moreso and using assisted pull ups with the weight steadily dropping on the assisted part, i started out 3 weeks ago using 100 pounds to assist me on the chin up and am now down to 80lbs assist so 3 weeks 20 pounds difference not to bad. I also got a copy of tim ferris' the 4 hour body and have been reading it, I am going fo the fat loss first then once I have stabilized at a happy weight I am going to give the geek to freak program a run and see what happens. I do not want to get much larger muscle wise but get back to my former strength level when I was training hard, the biggest problem I had back then was a good diet program to supplement me, I relied heavily on supplements like protein powders, creatine etc to give me the mass, without really paying proper attention to the rest of my diet.
    ************* this weeks challenge****************
    Do a 1000 cal burn in 1 workout and try for 3000 for the week, if you are already at this then way to go try to beat a personal best again or try for 3500 cals. My weight loss goal once I start the 4 hr body program is 2lbs/wk.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I tried doing assisted pullups, but had the weight set so low, It was easier to do them regular. I did 3 without any assistance. Considering I'm still over 200lbs. I figure that is pretty good.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just found this board this evening. I have a "boxing" gym very near my house that I go to 3-5 times a week. Lately it's been more like 5 days. I am the worst morning person as far as getting out of bed, but I manage to go at 5:30am. I am salary at my job and I don't really leave at the same time every day. Plus, the last thing I usually want to do at the end of the day is work out. Although most days that I go in the morning, I feel like going again in the evening, I have so much more energy for the whole day. I'm really working on getting my calories tuned in for the day. A nice big breakfast and moderate lunch and trying to do a smaller dinner. The gym has 60 min classes that focus on cardio and core workouts. Interval, boxing, kickboxing are the ones I usually do but they also have a forge and strength as well as pilates and yoga and a few other classes. I really love it because the classes are always different. I'm in the middle of a 12 week challenge at the gym and have been consistent at 2lbs a week, but last week was hard for some reason. Anyway, looking forward to trying some of the exercises and tips mentioned here.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    My rule is never the same workout for more than a 2 week period, switch it up as much as you an for 2 reasons. 1) it confuses the body so it can not adapt and slow down on you and 2) its more fun and you are less likely to get bored. My first golden rule this time around when I started losing weight was to follow the K.I.S.S principle and make it fun. (KISS keep it simple stupid) I first decided to conquer my old foe the treadmill and today got told from an experienced runner that I am a machine on the treadmill lol, that was weird for me since I still don't consider myself a runner per say. And now I am going to conquer the chin up bar I got 5 out un assisted today at 177 lbs. A personal best. If you want to amp up the weight loss opt for a high protein breakfast min of 30g protein (either via egg whites and 1 whole egg or protein powder). I picked up a copy of tim ferris' the 4 hr body last week and am going to be employing his techniques as well this week. My first goal is weight loss then followed up with the geek to freak program just on a more moderate scale than what he has in the book to add some more muscle. I started at 198 2 mths 1 week ago and now at 176.8. Any advice with regards to diet or different combo exercises feel free to ask away and also feel free to add me as a friend for the weekly challenge updates.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I don't know if I will be able to meet that challenge. I gotta see if I can get out skiing this week. We really need some more snow, but maybe there will be enough.

I tried a Tabata Interval today. I had already worked out today so my muscles and the rest of me was fairly fatigued. I got though two intervals and I was breathing as heavy as I do after 10 minutes of Insanity. I really have to try an Tabata workout when I am fresh. It looks like a great way to get a very good workout in 4 minutes.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    well what I am most interested in here is min time for max gains. I find anything after 40 mins I tend to get somewhat bored so from my readings so far I am exploring the means to get the best workout/most beneficial workout for min time, even if that means like I am feeling like I want to die lol. For 30 mins or less if I can get as much benefits as someone who works out for 60 mins then thats my goal. I really went to HIITs for this, I can effectively burn 100 cals for every 6-8 mins of workout or more. You should see my hrm go nuts when I switch to HIIT lol, it counts off cals like no ones business. I am also exploring other workouts like snatches and kettlebell workouts. As I write this i have the ice pack on the back of my neck lol, first time around with it for 20 mins.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    4 minutes of tabita 70 calories. Add 3 minutes warm-up and 3 minutes cool down and in 10 minutes I burned 100 calories based on my HRM. I couldn't do it again though, that was the longest 4 minutes I have ever done. I could probably burn more in that time if I did a different exercise, but the recumbent is handy.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    What it boils down to is what works for you, the challenges are just there for those who want to partake, hell anything that motivates you to make the changes are king. The main idea behind the tabatha thrusts is the benefits afterward, you may not see it upfront at the time of the workout but the benefits can last up to 48 hours afterwards. Just the fact that you got through the 4 minutes is an accomplishment all its own lol. I did the 4 mins at the end of my workout as well and I felt it to.
  • outersoul
    Options
    How are we tracking this week's challenge?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I have been keeping an eye on the ppl who have added me as a friend, but ppl can report it to me via this post of via msg if you like so far I have 1550 cals down to the 3000 cal week. To date here are the numbers; (correct me via msg if I am wrong these are from monday onward, those who show 0 means I have not seen any cals burnt so if you want to fix that let me know via msg)

paul 3671 **def ahead of the pack lol**
    Dan2k11 422
    Weightlosstrek 876
    Outersoul 482
    Mgasperoni 0
    rileysowner 1014
    Aweigh2go 1025
    newfiedan 1620
    Jeffman622 1240
    DMconstruct 0
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I want in on this.

I'm 276 pounds. I run. I will be doing pushups, pullups, and crunches, too. All of these are guided regiments from free websites:

www.runnersworld.com (SmartCoach takes you WHEREVER you are and builds a running plan for you)
    www.hundredpushups.com
    www.fiftypullups.com
    www.twohundredsitups.com

It's a cheapskate's/poor man's workout program. But I have a long way to go, and I'm glad there's a men's thread, too. I actually learn a lot reading a lot of the women-only threads, but it's just usually pretty obvious when a man's input is or is not wanted. :)
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    welcome aboard, feel free to add me to yor friends list for weekly updates and challenges, the current one is to attempt to burn 3000 cals for the week with a workout goal of 1000 cals if possible (I know not everyone is going to reach it but the point is to push yourself to improve on your workouts). I have made my diary public and have started a blog about my routine and workout feel free to read it and comment on it.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Dan2k11 422
    Weightlosstrek 876
    Outersoul 482
    Mgasperoni 0
    rileysowner 1014
    Aweigh2go 1025
    newfiedan 1620
    Jeffman622 1240
    DMconstruct 0
    Wayne224 1710
  • outersoul
    Options
    Outersoul 482

Update to my total...if we're counting Sunday then I've burned 1288 + the 428 listed = 1716. If we're starting on Monday then I've burned 661 + 428 = 1089.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yeah monday was the official start, good job outersoul.
    Dan2k11 703
    Weightlosstrek 876
    Outersoul 1089
    Mgasperoni 0
    rileysowner 1014
    Aweigh2go 1025
    newfiedan 1620
    Jeffman622 1240
    DMconstruct 0
    Wayne224 1710
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I gotta get in gear. Yesterday was really busy for me, and I didn't sleep well Monday to Tuesday, so I was exhausted all day. I decided not to workout. Insanity is scheduled for tonight, and with the Interval stuff this AM, I should get a good burn in.