Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    awesome deal outersoul, good to hear that you entered that. I am going to be hitting the gym later hopefully my hip joints do not bother me as much as they have been lately thats been slowing me down a bit, but the joint care seems to be helping with that.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Are there any weight lifting exercises that you guys find work really well? I have found a couple that work great for me, but I am always on the look out for ways to improve my routine.

One of the best workouts I ever did was one that I timed myself doing sets of pullups, dips, and pushups. Once I got to a hundred of each, I stopped. The first time I did it took me 40 minutes, the next time 30. My final sets of pullups I could only do about 3, but I kept going till I got it. Every muscle in my upper body was sore for the next several days, including my abs.

I've thought about incorporating snatches, and power cleans into my routine, but still unsure as to how to break up my workout to incorporate them. I'm also afraid that I will have to lighten the weight too much to push my quads enough.

I have never thought about doing that but it sounds brilliant and brutal all at the same time. Did you intermingle, like do 20 pushups and run over and do 30 situps then go 10 pull ups or did you concentrate on finishing 100 of each before moving on?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Are there any weight lifting exercises that you guys find work really well? I have found a couple that work great for me, but I am always on the look out for ways to improve my routine.

One of the best workouts I ever did was one that I timed myself doing sets of pullups, dips, and pushups. Once I got to a hundred of each, I stopped. The first time I did it took me 40 minutes, the next time 30. My final sets of pullups I could only do about 3, but I kept going till I got it. Every muscle in my upper body was sore for the next several days, including my abs.

I've thought about incorporating snatches, and power cleans into my routine, but still unsure as to how to break up my workout to incorporate them. I'm also afraid that I will have to lighten the weight too much to push my quads enough.

I have never thought about doing that but it sounds brilliant and brutal all at the same time. Did you intermingle, like do 20 pushups and run over and do 30 situps then go 10 pull ups or did you concentrate on finishing 100 of each before moving on?

I started with pullups, did as many as I could, which was around 10, then I did about 20 dips, then went back to pullups, dips, pullups, dips, until I reached 100 dips, then I rotated pullups with pushups, until I was done.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I could probably get the pushups no problem and the same for the dips but the pullups I doubt, I suck at those but am working on it.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    @Newfiedan You and your son are swoll! Awesome!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I could probably get the pushups no problem and the same for the dips but the pullups I doubt, I suck at those but am working on it.

I probably couldn't get through all of it right now. I am ok at pushups, stuck and dips and pullups. I need to set up my stuff to do dips again, I forgot them, and they are an excellent exercise.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I was looking into tabatha thrusts today those look pretty sweet for an interval workout, going to try them tomorrow. I needed today for recovery hips are still naggin me. @ Pinoy_pal thx lol. I am hopin to punch a new notch in my belt next week, The new one I punched last week I can almost pull it down without undoing it lol.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump for the men.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    So how many of you feel guilty if you do not get to the gym as per your normal routine. I am a routine kind of guy, I like sticking to one and usually do not like veering off path as I like things in my life to be in order, so any of you feel that way if you miss or skip a day? I am not sure what I did but I somehow managed to hurt my damn tailbone, feels like someone drove their knee into it hard. Been that way for about 2 or 3 days now but its slowly getting better.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I always hate missing weight training days. I like to hit each muscle group, at meat once a week. As long as I hit most of my cardio days, I'm ok. I miss a lot of Saturdays because I want to spend time with my kids, or my girlfriend.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yeah i am going to hit the gym hard tonight, not sure if its going to be end up being a weight or cardio day depends on how I feel when I get there.
  • outersoul
    Options
    yeah i am going to hit the gym hard tonight, not sure if its going to be end up being a weight or cardio day depends on how I feel when I get there.

That's how I am most of the time. I always do cardio but weights just depend on my mood.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    My workouts are all in the basement. I have a power rack, a couple of benches, a upright/seated row machine, and lots of room for other workouts. Then there is the recumbent bike upstairs. I am considering getting another Olympic bar as most of my weight training is super sets and it would make for quicker changes and more flexibility in exercise choice for me. I will have to price another one out sometime though as I have no idea on current prices.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Ok so its tueday and here is my challenge for the week, try something completely out of the norm of exercise routine for you. I am going to be trying tabatha thrusts this week at the end of 1 of my weight training days and report back the results you got from it either in the way it felt or how much u sweated ur butt off.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I tried to best my time x-country skiing today, but the trails were in such horrible condition I am happy I got done without injuring myself. They were really icy, and someone had went through with narrow skis and maybe too much weight for them and had broken through in spots. Wherever they had broken through the trail base, my skies would stick requiring me to catch my balance. I have not fallen so many times while skiing in a long time. Still burned 772 calories though :smile:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    way to go , I pushed through a brutal interval workout today for 44 mins burnt off 763 cal even though I had wicked bad abdomen cramps about mid ways through and my damn hip joint and knees were hurting. I just finished one mother load of a dinner meal and am stuffed. Now to enjoy a nice warm cup of tea and watch some tv. At 9mph uphill on 2 degrees I resembeled a jack rabbit more than a runner lol.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I did an Interval Training session on the recumbent while watching TV, 19 minutes 198 calories. My legs are exhausted now, but it still turns into 970 calories for today. I wish I could do that every day.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yeah I burnt up 763 during the session no idea what that translates into over the day, tonight I am going to weight session going to throw in some of those tabatha trusts, same idea as intervals just works a lot of muscles at once see how it works out for me. I should throw in that I have upped the treadmill by doing the entire run on a 2% incline as well.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    there is an open invitation to more male members boys, by the way women feel free to comment on anything in the posts.