Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options

Replies

• aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Kevin (a.k.a. "aweigh2go"). I have exercise routine ADHD. I can't stay focused on a workout for more than three weeks. Therefore, I do what I feel when I go to the gym. The key is to just do something. I burn, on average 600 calories in a one hour workout. I have started posting my workouts and my daily thoughts on my blog here on MFP

(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aweigh2go) .

My weekly goal this week is to burn 3,000 calories and take the junk out of my diet.

My short term goal is to lose 20 lbs between now and my 40th birthday.
  • nmarch869
    Options
    If you KB there is a swing app for iPhone and Touch that is awesome. It can be changed up to whatever interval you want. I don't just limit it to swings. I really like it and for every 1 min of KB you burn 20 cal per min. I do my cardio on cardio day and KB on alternate days along with cardio.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    give tabatha thursts a shot with the kbs see how you like that.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump for the men.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    All this bumping. I will add to that :smile:

I am enjoying Interval Training and man it takes the fat off. Sadly yesterday my head was just not in my weight training workout. I tried later in the day to see if that helped, but to no avail. I was just going through the motions. I did much of it anyway, but couldn't concentrate to do the exercises with the weight I can normally handle.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yeah I call those days body wants a rest so listen days lol. i had one of those yesterday the mind was willing but the body was more like "o no you don't buddy" lol. It was crap weather snowing and slick out so I decided to listen in the end and take a rest day. I feel much more energized today.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    we need more men come on guys lets get a larger group going here.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    how many of the men in the group run 2-3 times per week?
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a runner but I have to admit, I'm thinking about it. Even if I start slowly with 2 min walk, 1 min run or something, I'd like to be able to take my workouts outdoors. The elliptical machine in my bedroom is good, but limiting.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    I simply am too heavy to be running right now. I get my cardio in low impact forms right now. But, when I get my weight down, I am going to give it a try.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I still don't classify myself as a "runner" per say lol I started running at 198 lbs and the reason was simple, I wanted to improve my cardio and I picked the activity that I hated to do and decided to conquer it. So I started at it and at first was running at about 5mph for 1 mile for a week, then 1.5 for a week or so then upped to 2.5 for a few weeks then onto 3, 3.5 and 4 with a scattered 5 mile if I want to push it. I have greatly improved my times and speeds by using high intensity interval training in a 8 week period. It amazing what 8 weeks can do, from 198 to 178 now. I am hoping to get over this cramping crap I am hitting at 2 miles in now if I hit that i switch to HIIT to get me past it. I am going to be throwing in tabatha thrusts for weight training and swimming for my cardio this week see what kind of cal burn I get from that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    how many of the men in the group run 2-3 times per week?

Other than the running in place with the Insanity workouts, I don't do running. In the summer my choice is cycling and in the winter Cross-country Skiing.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I'm a runner damnit! At least in my head. I'm buying new shoes this weekend just for running. I need to transition to outdoor running. It's my next step.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol, I have been told that if I can run the way I do then I should consider myself a runner, I don't know I try my best and I know that my cardio is a hell of a lot better now that I do run. I will keep you posted on tonights thoughts after I shake up my weight routine, I am still going to have to work on my pullups/chinups , my goal is do be able to do 2 sets of 10 unassissted with weights.
  • dmconstruct
    Options
    Hey guys I've began running 3-4 times a week. Istarted @ 18 min mile and have had a PB 3miles @ 30 min.
    I have never counted my calories before until I found this site ( app). I've logged for 20+ days and been working out
    2+ weeks and have lost 7 lbs. My next weigh in is tomorrow morning. Keep u posted
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    welcome to the group feel free to add me to your friends list for weekly challenge updates and I will be posting them here as well. Ok guys update today I threw in some tabatha thrusts into the mix and it felt awkward doing them and getting into the rythmn but once I got into the 3rd set it was starting to work a little better for me. I am going to have to practice the motion at home more I think to get it down pat but it certainly raises the heart rate as I had hoped. I burnt off 563 cals in 43 mins today for my weight session and did an extra 20 lbs on my arm curls and a little more on the dips as well. I have been endeavouring to work my back more to get my pullups and chinups up to par. I found myself kind of lacking that omph to my energy level so I am going to experiment a lil more with my diet and add a few more carbs as I usually do not eat that many in my regular diet (not intentionally mind you). Anyhow have any of the groups members been attempting to add in a new exercise yet?
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like to run for cardio but my knees are starting to hurt. Any suggestions? Send me an message as I don't check here frequently.
  • outersoul
    Options
    My plan this weekend is to go to a running store and get fitted for some running shoes. I'm skipping the mall stores because they don't actually test anything like gait, stance, etc. Hopefully I'll have a new pair of running shoes come Saturday.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm working this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to work my shoulders, and legs tonight. I'm thinking about trying snatches. I'll probably look like an idiot though. It'll take me a while to figure out proper form. I need a lot of practice to get it right. Sunday I'll get my kids for the night, so I will probably work the punching bag a little.