MFP's most common user pitfall to avoid

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've skipped a lot after the first post but is it then recommended that once I hit the "fat" category rather than the "obese category that I should be aiming for 1lbs a week? (Its only 11 lbs away and I like to plan in advance.

you should definitely consider lowering your deficit, whether that needs to be 1 lb or not, would depend on your specific situation.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    My lean mass (59kg) at 27, is what my overall mass was at 17!
    While I could realistically fit that size again I know there's no reason I should be aiming for that weight again.
    Getting that figure though, really hammered it home - I'd only weigh that much again by losing lean mass, and a lot of it, which I don't don't dont want.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This post was encouraging. While I have a number listed as my goal here, I actually have a ten pound range that I would consider a "happy to thrilled" range. And I have heard SO much about the weekly goal thing over the past year, that I set my loss at one pound a week. It's nice to know I'm getting SOMETHING right. :tongue:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love your post because it really sums up my situation and dilemma. My bmi says I am over weight but I know that I am technically okay due to muscle content. I am unable to put a number to my goals. I don't know what I need to weigh since kung fu is putting a lot more muscle on my body that a normal girl my size (especially glutes). So I am playing it by ear. I can SEE that my stomach can lose a couple more inches. If my goal was the 95 pounds that I weighed in high school, I would be a very sickly short girl, instead of a fit or even healthy short girl. But what can I healthfully expect to LOOK like at 38 having had three kids? I don't know; I am having to wait and see and making myself look at what I LIKE about my body and what it can do, right now.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    self bump
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    BUMP THIS!
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bump - THANKS SO MUCH - excellent common sense article!
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    gonna do a bit of a bump here.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love this! A friend of mine in her late 50s is 5'6" and weighs 160ish. She's extremely unhappy and always frustrated/depressed because she wants so badly to weigh 130 because that's what she weighed in her 20s. We've tried to tell her that's probably unrealistic, but she insists it's not because she's "got a small frame."

I'm 5'7" and 160ish is my goal, so I don't get it, but you can't talk to some people, I guess.
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    i have to remind myself , that this new life change doesnt happen over night. im still in the obese category but not for much longer. thanks for this , i need to sit down and look at my goals. ooh and i sure dont want to look like i did in high school. im now one pound away from high school weight..
  • yportia
    yportia Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try and figure out why I have been on this horrible roller coaster for the past 2 months. Up one week - down the next - and I don't mean small amounts - my head is spinning and I know I'm doing something wrong. Just can't figure out what it is.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Great info. I actually set mine based upon my lean bodymass, and my bodyfat goals. I actually want to gain around 5, or 10lbs in lean mass, so I am putting that in there too. As I get closer to my goal, I will increase the calories, and adjust my goals as well. I am going for a certain range in overall weight, and body fat. I want to keep myself between 8 and 14% bodyfat.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!  I really dont have a weekly goal of how much i want to lose.  For me my weekly goal is to make sure I'm doing what i need to do to get the weight off so i can be healthy.  That includes making better choices when i eat, making time to exercise & posting on MFP.  Of course i want to see the scale move, but since i'm having some health issues, i have to focus on my food & exercise.  As far as my final goal weight, i have always had a number of 175 in my head.  I dont know where i got it from, bit its stuck with me for over a decade.  A few years ago i decided that i am not a number.  Granted i have a large amount of weight to lose (100+), but as i got closer to that goal of 175, i would make a decision based on how i felt, how my clothes fit me, etc if that is where i wanted to be.  So i say all that to say, that i am shooting for this magical number of 175, but if i get close and im happy with my results, i'll be ok if i'm heavier than that. Its all about being healthy this time around.  Thanks again for your post, its a great reminder!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    Bump would like to read more later:)
  • bethanna91
    bethanna91 Posts: 63
    Options
    I love reading your posts. Thank you!!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    love this post, lots of info
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    thanks
    I am obese so I still want to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week but I am not sure what my end goal range is. The "charts say around 15o ish for a healthy Bmi. I don't think I want to go below that. And I am not sure if I would recognize myself even at that weight :blushing:
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    WOW AMazing POST Thank you so much!!

While I am obese OVER obese range I was happy with where I was But for my son I decided to get healthier. If I lose weight then YEAH if I tone up Yeah. The only reason I have a goal is due to my parents want me to be about 150. Being at where I was never stopped me and never put me down. But going down makes my confidence much higher.