bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think the goal weight that MFP has suggested for me is way under what I should actually weigh to be healthy, I'm built like a redneck (broad shoulders, wide frame) and to weigh that little at my height would look sickly.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU BANKS!!!!!!! Once again, well said!!! BRAVO!!!!! :happy:
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm up to page 2 right now, I'm hoping somewhere between there and here you did put up those goal weight range calculators & tables you mentioned on page 1.

I'm set for maintenance right now though with my body comp being 19.8%BF, there is probably anywhere between 40-300 calories deficit/day.

I've decided it's more important to me to maintain my lean mass and get my BF% down to 15%.

My sense of self worth is tied more to how I look in the mirror now more than what the scale says.

Last month was the first month I didn't feel anxiety over gaining 2lbs of ToM weight. It stuck around 4 days before I lost it all plus half a pound.

I am a bit guilty of having an ideal in my mind of the place I was at physically (it seems to just me though that wants to throw in a big whiny "ONLY") 5 years ago at 25 after having 2 of my 3 kids. I've leaned to absolutely adore the hips and lower WHR ratio childbearing has given me though :)

Thanks for this post! I'm slowly but surely coming around I think...
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for this. At first I had set my calories at the bottom line of 1200. All while proclaiming I wanted a liveit plan and not a diet. I realized I was hungry and setting diet goals for myself. So I set my calorie goals for my ideal weight range. Yes, I am losing slower now. But I feel much more comfortable with my food allowance daily and feel like I am living a healthy lifestyle now and not just a diet. It has allowed me to actually know what I can and cannot eat for my goal weight range, and that is perspective I needed for a lifetime of change and not just a quick fix!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm up to page 2 right now, I'm hoping somewhere between there and here you did put up those goal weight range calculators & tables you mentioned on page 1.

I'm set for maintenance right now though with my body comp being 19.8%BF, there is probably anywhere between 40-300 calories deficit/day.

I've decided it's more important to me to maintain my lean mass and get my BF% down to 15%.

My sense of self worth is tied more to how I look in the mirror now more than what the scale says.

Last month was the first month I didn't feel anxiety over gaining 2lbs of ToM weight. It stuck around 4 days before I lost it all plus half a pound.

I am a bit guilty of having an ideal in my mind of the place I was at physically (it seems to just me though that wants to throw in a big whiny "ONLY") 5 years ago at 25 after having 2 of my 3 kids. I've leaned to absolutely adore the hips and lower WHR ratio childbearing has given me though :)

Thanks for this post! I'm slowly but surely coming around I think...

the problem with a 15% body fat % for women is that it's extremely difficult to maintain as it's right on the cusp of the lowest healthy BF%, generally only fitness professionals and professional athletes and others who are able to exercise multiple hours a day can maintain it. If you can, that's great, but I just wanted you to be aware of it.

best luck to you.

Banks
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If I could go back to the beginning, I would take the time to take my measurements. I've only lost 10 pounds, but I've lost a ton of inches.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    the problem with a 15% body fat % for women is that it's extremely difficult to maintain as it's right on the cusp of the lowest healthy BF%, generally only fitness professionals and professional athletes and others who are able to exercise multiple hours a day can maintain it. If you can, that's great, but I just wanted you to be aware of it.

best luck to you.

Banks

Ha! Love that about you :) Your brutal honesty always raining on my oblivious parade, lol. Really, thanks for paving the way for me to accept my body just the way it is... but I wouldn't be a chick if I didn't make a show of resisting (insert visual of me being dragged off kicking and screaming with my fingernails scraping for hold in the pavement)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    After losing 22lbs, I back to my high school weight. Too bad I was overweight back in high school too :laugh: I still have a lot of fat to lose!

Would "having defined ab muscles" be a healthy/realistic goal for a woman?
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I wondering that maybe I set my weight loss per week too low? I need to lose a LOT , like 60-70lb, and I set my goal to be 1lb per week. I am 5'"8 and 220 lb, andmy scale says I have 44.5% bodyfat .(36yrs old female)
    Should I aim to the 1.5lb or even 2lb weight loss?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • nickblackburn82
    Options
    just found this post after about a year on MFP i currently weigh 313lbs and TBH have no idea what my goals are weekly or final all i know is i need to lose weight any advice on what goals i should be aiming for im 5'10" with a BMI of over 40

BTW i read it 3 times i found it that fascinating
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you for that! That is a huge pitfall to me, comparing myself to someone I used to be. I didn't have 4 children in High School. Though, truth be told, I was heavy in high school. But later, before children, I did lose weight. I tend to compare myself with who I was then and not who I should be now.

don't get me started on post-pregnancy women and goals. The female body changes massively after child birth. Don't believe it when some pop star has a baby and says "I got my pre-baby body back." they didn't, they have a DIFFERENT body now, it can still be sexy, and healthy, and beautiful, but it'll never be what it was pre-baby. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I totally agree with this since my three children my hips are so much wider and I don't think there is much i can do to move bone. I am smaller than I was before I had children as I was 95kg but my body is definatly different but I just see it as a sign of how amazing my body is to make three beautiful children
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, and very timely for me as I was just scratching my head wondering where I'd come up with the goal weight on my ticker, which is 6 lbs different from the one in my signature.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump