Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    why do I always forget to refer to this one? I LOVE this one.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    the problem with a 15% body fat % for women is that it's extremely difficult to maintain as it's right on the cusp of the lowest healthy BF%, generally only fitness professionals and professional athletes and others who are able to exercise multiple hours a day can maintain it. If you can, that's great, but I just wanted you to be aware of it.

best luck to you.

Banks

Ha! Love that about you :) Your brutal honesty always raining on my oblivious parade, lol. Really, thanks for paving the way for me to accept my body just the way it is... but I wouldn't be a chick if I didn't make a show of resisting (insert visual of me being dragged off kicking and screaming with my fingernails scraping for hold in the pavement)

Oh don't misunderstand, I think 15% is possible, but it's just not going to be remotely easy to get to, and even then, it'll take a dedicated lifestyle to maintain it, and some very disciplined eating and exercise. It can be done, heck it's done all the time, but I just wanted to make sure you knew, it's not something you should just jump out of bed one day and decide, it takes planning, a lot of effort, probably quite a bit of pain and failures along the way, a few injuries, missing out on some "activities" here and there and well, just a different lifestyle from the majority of people in the US. I think it's a fantastic goal to shoot for, and anyone who can do it I respect and admire greatly, cuz that would be approximately equal to about 7% body fat for a guy, and I know that I CAN'T maintain (or even get to, I have a sit down job, it would be hell for me to try) that low level, my goal is to HIT 9% and maintain 11 to 12% (I'm just over 12% now). So you see, it's not that I think it can't be done, I just think it's probably not reasonable for most people.
  • Rheagansmom
    Rheagansmom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I am obese, but because of PCOS I am hoping to hit the 1 lb a week mark. One of the biggest problems that I have with any of this is that I have never EVER been what would be considered a helathy BMI due to being 4 foot 11 and extremely muscular. I am hoping however to get back close to a healthy weight range. I would love to see the BMI charts thrown out the window.
  • blueillusion3
    blueillusion3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump. this is way helpful! thanks!!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a goal. Um. I'd like to be under 200, be that 190 or 160. My goals are more practical (for me)--be able to buy clothes at a regular retail outlet. Keep my blood sugar under control so that I never do take that leap to medication. Relieve my back to the point where walking a couple of miles doesn't destroy me. Not have to worry that I'm too heavy for a chair or too wide for an airplane seat. Become increasingly healthy as I achieve those goals.

Those are my goals. I don't even have a timeline. I've already reached one goal--get my A1c below 6% (I've dropped from 6.9% to 5.7% in the past few months).

My way's probably not good for many other people, but it's working for me. I'm down 66, and I plan on continuing to do what I'm doing since it seems to be working for me and my blood work is fabulous.

I like your post. I think it's got some good stuff, and some folks who are totally caught up in speed and numbers might benefit.

Kris
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great post,
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great information and thanks for sharing. I have been overweight my whole life and so have no idea what my final weight range will be. I started at 243 lbs last December and am down to 161 lbs. Right now I'm aiming for a size 10 which on my 5'7" non-petite frame should be about 155 lbs. I'd like for my body to be tighter and more muscular so as I work toward that I'm sure my weight/size will change as well.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    marvelously written, i'm surprised i haven't seen this before. i will be making sure i put this in as a must read for some threads i see.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight. I agree that many people have unrealistic goals. I do claim i want my highschool weight back - but I know as I get closer to that weight it will change. I am and will be a lot stronger and muscular this time around.
  • dtrm88
    dtrm88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!

3108166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I really needed to read this tonight :smile:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • doodlebug1966
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    this is probably a good time to bump this as well. Still seeing lot of folks who set their goals wrong and are expecting too much weight loss to quickly for the amount of weight they are looking to lose.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schleschwig
    Options
    I wish I had read this when I started using the app! So useful, going to re-look at my goals thanks!
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    So true...and thank you. So many things to think about now....
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

I am obese (no longer morbidly obese, Yeaaaaaaah) and haven’t exercised regularly in decades. I was just put on a low sodium, 1800 calorie per day diet, so I chose 2 lbs per week to start with, since anything less than what I ate and doing any exercise more than playing facebook games should be a piece of cake (pun not intended)

According to the BMI charts, at 5’10”, my weight should be between 139 – 174 lbs. Since I think 139 is preposterous, I would look like a cadaver (and probably feel like one too), and not knowing if 174 is realistic, I’ve settled for a nice round number of 180 lbs as a goal weight. If I go below that because of eating well and exercising, then that would be fine, but I’m not going to sweat it.