Starting c25k again tomorrow!!!!

Options

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I am just afraid I won't be able to complete day 1! I have taken a 2 month break and haven't worked out in awhile.

If it helps any, I haven't worked out in years, although I do still get about a half hour at least of walking in per day because the dog needs it. :)

The first running interval was hard for me. The next one easier, and all the ones after that were about the same.

My problems are two-fold: One, I was a dedicated runner for many years, so what feels like the 'right' pace for me is WAY too fast for me these days after 5 years of no running and 35 pounds. I have to really think about trying to get through the interval, even if that means I am barely jogging. Two, with the weight came many more cigarettes--my lung capacity is drastically different from what it was when I was a regular runner.

But, having run before for years, I do have a sense of how long I can keep going at a certain intensity, so that's helping me now while I'm starting out again and needing to adjust my pace.

I'm not doing this with music for now, as I tend to run to the beat. I'm listening to a podcast (yesterday was Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!). For me, music would throw me off track at this point.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm planning on starting also...but had a question. I know the program starts by walking, jogging, walking...but did any of you do anything to "prepare" for this? Or did you just start with day one?

I've been walking 2-3 times a week to get myself used to doing it before I decide to hit the "start" button! i get what i think are shin splints in my left leg, but when i wear my sketcher shape-ups (i know, they're super funky looking!) i have no pain at all. does anyone use a "shape-type" shoe for jogging? mine are good for walking, but i'd be afraid i'd break my ankle if i tried jogging in them.

good luck to everyone...i plan to start soon also!

ToBR

I have always walked about a half hour a day. Owning a dog and working in a city just demand it, so I guess I'm maybe not technically starting from 'scratch'.

The C25K program is meant to ease you into running. It's about moving for a certain amount of time- not a pace, distance or speed- so feel free to modify it as needed.

If you really are beginning from the couch, then maybe the best plan for you is to walk at a normal pace on the 'walk' portions' and walk briskly on the 'run' portions at first and see how you feel. If you feel as though that was easy, then try to do some very slow jogging the next time on the 'run' portions. Don't worry if you can't do ALL the run intervals at first--do what you can while pushing a bit, but not so much that you feel AWFUL.

The whole point of this program is to help people begin to run without being so overwhelmed (or injured!) that they quit running. So take your time.

RE: the shoes:

I think two things are happening here.

1. You need the cushioning that the shape-ups provide for now. As you log more miles, you'll build bone density and muscle in your legs and take off some weight, all of which will help you to absorb more shock without injury or pain. That takes months though.

2. Yes, I agree that the shape ups are too unstable for actual running. Stand a good chance of turning an ankle and really hurting yourself.

You might want to buy some running shoes with the help of a specialty running store, so you buy the best shoes for your frame, experience level and gait.
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks Atlantique!! I sent you a msg.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well I did my first day and it felt good to actually do it, but I will tell you I almost quit....really was tough at the end. I hope I can keep it up. The thought of doing it again does not excite me but I know I need to do it.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    just finished w1d2....2.27 miles in 33 mins....with a little extra walk back to my office....

who is where????

bluiz13 ~~~ w1d2
    halfofhilary
    kwilliams75
    larrypgh
    strandedeyes
    mrsbuzz ~~~ w1d1
    atlantique
    tiredofbeinground
    ofccat
    ejb245
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Well I did my first day and it felt good to actually do it, but I will tell you I almost quit....really was tough at the end. I hope I can keep it up. The thought of doing it again does not excite me but I know I need to do it.
    You did it! YAYA!

There are two ways to go from here:

-Repeat what you did today

-Ease up a bit on the pace for the run portions. (I'd go with this one).

Keep in mind that the goal of this program is to get people into running by PREVENTING OVEREXERTION AND INJURY. If you feel awful, you tried too hard and went too fast.

I think you said you were doing this on a treadmill, right?

Back off the run portion by at least 30 seconds per mile. And make the walk portions 'recovery' phase, which means a relaxed walking pace.

You can DO THIS. Take your time!

I can't say this enough apparently: the goal of C25K is to let people ease into running without becoming so overwhelmed that they hate it or injure themselves. You pushed too hard today, yes, it's a feather in your cap to have made it through. But not a good sign for becoming a long-time runner. You need to slow down and ease up a bit. Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

Your goal for next C25K workout should be, IMO (and take that as it is) to feel like it was some work, but that you could have done another running interval.
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Atlantique- thanks for the tips and advice. I will think about and see what I need to do. I was walking 3.0 and running/joggin 5.0. I could have pushed myself to do another, but was glad it was over. Thanks again for the support.
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm at week 1 day 2, doing day 3 tomorrow. 2.3 miles in 30 minutes.
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing tomorrow. W9D3 here I come! I will be lost without it, but I have 19 lbs. off to show for it. Good luck to all!
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok I finished week one yesterday!! i did a little over 2 miles in the thirty minutes!! Super proud of myself! onto week two we go!!
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Well yesterday I did my wk 1 day 2 and it was better then day 1. I feel great about what I have done and so excited at what I can do if I keep at it.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    i'm planning on finishing week 1 today...gotta walk to the courthouse to record something and then i'll do the c25k thing after....
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Well yesterday I did my wk 1 day 2 and it was better then day 1. I feel great about what I have done and so excited at what I can do if I keep at it.

Way to go! :bigsmile:
  • bluiz13
    Options
    just finished week one with a walk to the courthouse to get something recorded and then started the run/walk intervals for day 3 from week 1...2.83 miles in 49 mins....onto week 2...
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Just back from W1D3 and it went pretty well!

Also was the first day in my new running shoes, which helped even at this short distance. No heel pain and no hip pain!
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Finished W1D3 and did W2D1. Seems a little easier and my speed is increasing even though it doesn't feel like it is. Kept thinking that I should be running more during W2D1 because of the 2 minutes of walking, but I'm excited to keep going. I'm going to start looking for 5ks in Philly for a couple weeks after the program. Might be a little premature, but I think it will help the motivation in the upcoming weeks. :)
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Yesterday I finished week 1...not sure I am ready for week 2 but I will give it a try.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started week two day 1!!
  • bluiz13
    Options
    Yesterday I started week two day 1!!

i'm starting week 2 today during my lunchtime walk...
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Just got done doing week 2 day 1 and I didn't think I could do it but I did it. I am feeling good.