Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    good morning! even though its lunchtime!! we are going shopping today too, Marie. just a few groceries and prescriptions. I am looking forward to checking out all of the weight watchers items in the store, since I haven't paid much attention to those things lately. Marie, I laughed when you said the first thing you ate whenyou reached your goal was a burger and fries! sounds like me!
    I didn't eat all of my points yesterday, just didn't get hungry. I have days when I am very hungry.
    Lynn and Maddie, I love both of those songs, thanks for putting them into my head.
    I had a friend that hated vegetables, but to persevere, she used a juicer and was very dedicated to her juices.. she was very slender and energetic.
    Sandy, you are doing great on your 'shreds' hope you are feeling good.
    Gayla, glad your oven situation is straightened out. I have wondered if I would like two ovens..I saw this large stove with a smaller oven over the big one,with the smooth cooktop.. cant decide if I would like it, coz it means giving up that drawer at the bottom of the stove. I have such a mess of pots and pans, that drawer is handy.
    well, got to scoot for now..
    hi to the rest of the Sneakers, sorry to miss you, but I will be back later.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My lovely granddaughter is on her way to Missouri today so I will soon be able to give her all the hugs your sweet folks have been sending her way. Can't wait to see her.

Got the following via e-mail today. Since is has to do with dieting, humor, pets AND senior citizens, I thought it was appropriate to post here.

"Yesterday I was at my local COSTCO buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Jake, the Wonder Dog and was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had an elephant? So since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a Perfect Diet and that the way that it works is, to load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care, because the dog food poisoned me . I told her no, I stepped off a curb to sniff a poodle's butt and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Costco won't let me shop there anymore.

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of crazy things to say.

Speaking of e-mail, if you want a copy of the posters list, please use regular e-mail to contact me. I cannot attach files to the mail function of MFP.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Afternoon my Lovelies! Sorry I've been a bit sporadic with my posting over the last week. A combination of being busy and the dreaded "Glums" creeping up on me. I've always had a tendency towards depression, but thought that SAD had passed me by this year,,,, HAH! Just not being able to get the frames I wanted for my glasses pitched me into a trough. I've got some vitamin B12 and if I don't improve I'll go to the Dr. Must get back to exercising now my back has settled.
    I had 4 hours in the garden on monday morning as the sun was out, then we woke up to thick fog yesterday and it hasn't lifted!
    Still trying to catch up on the posts. But Gayla, the thought of a 24lb turkey :noway: I hope once you've got everything in place you'll really enjoy your kitchen.
    Tlp8rb enjoy your grandaughter! I've seen that email, it's very funny.
    I'll get back to you all tomorrow afternoon, I'm having lunch at my slimming consultant's, I'm being trained on the Computer to clerk people in and weigh them :ohwell: she may regret asking me!
    Keep yourselves pure! Judi xx
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    CONNIE:

chuckle.gif

Maddie
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Checking in to log my smoothie....Oh Connie:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Funny stuff Connie...so glad you get to wrap your arms around your granddaughter. :heart:

I got my new heart monitor and so far I love it. I did my 30 day shred and burned more calories than I was guessing so I am happy. It also means I really didn't go over calories yesterday so that makes me even happier. Now the question is do I wear it all day to see how many calories I burn along with my pedometer to see how many mile I walk? I shut if off after my shred exercise to see how many calories I burned but will put it back on again for the elliptical and/or bike. Welcome all advice.

Thank you
  • Sandydur
    Options
    The local news station was interviewing an 85-year-old lady because
    she had just married for the fourth time.
    The interviewer asked her questions about her life, about what it felt
    like to be marrying again at 85, and then about her new husband's
    occupation.

"He's a funeral director," she answered.

"Interesting," the newsman thought. He then asked her if she wouldn't
    mind telling him a little about her first three husbands and what they
    did for a living.

She paused for a few moments, needing time to reflect on all those years.

After a short time, a smile came to her face and she answered proudly,
    explaining that she had first married a banker when she was in her
    early 20's, then a circus ringmaster when in her 40's, then a preacher
    when in her 60's, and now in her 80's, the funeral director.
    The interviewer looked at her, quite astonished, and asked why she had
    married four men with such diverse careers.

She smiled and patiently explained, " I married one for the money, two
    for the show, three to get ready, and four to go."

(Oh, just be quiet and send this one on).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Sandy said:
    I got my new heart monitor and so far I love it. I did my 30 day shred and burned more calories than I was guessing so I am happy. It also means I really didn't go over calories yesterday so that makes me even happier. Now the question is do I wear it all day to see how many calories I burn along with my pedometer to see how many mile I walk? I shut if off after my shred exercise to see how many calories I burned but will put it back on again for the elliptical and/or bike. Welcome all advice.

Thank you
    And Connie replies:

I wear mine (same one you got) as a watch but I do unsnap the transmitter from the chest strap to save on batteries. I keep it in my pocket so it is handy to snap back on when I need to. It would be very interesting to start a workout upon rising, and then check it again the next morning on rising to see how many calories you actually do burn on a normal day. It would need to be an exercise free day to give you an accurate baseline. Since I prefer to track my training sessions separately, I stop it after each training session. In that way I can see which exercises are more effective. Since it stores 10 sessions, it's easy to just start it and then stop it again.

I'm also only logging the time I'm in my "fat burning zone" as exercise time although I keep track of both real time and zone time in the notes section of the MFP exercise log.

I also reposition the strap slightly through the day so the "sensor" area isn't always against the same patch of skin. I haven't had any irritation in the two weeks I've been using it, but it is a precaution.

One thing I found really interesting. Start a session when you begin a morning of house cleaning (vacuuming, scrubbing, laundry, beds, dusting, window washing, etc.). you'll be shocked to see how many calories your body burns doing that!

The other thing I've noticed is that there is a real difference in the results between the first exercise class I attended, and the most recent one. I burned fewer calories, and was in the zone less at the most recent session. Talked to my trainer and he said it is because I am becoming more fit, and it is taking less effort to accomplish the routine. Makes sense.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Thank you

Just out of interest, how much does your 30 Day Shred burn? And big respect to you for doing it! Lets show the youngsters the way to go! Judi
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sandy said:

Thank you
    And Connie replies:

I wear mine (same one you got) as a watch but I do unsnap the transmitter from the chest strap to save on batteries. I keep it in my pocket so it is handy to snap back on when I need to. It would be very interesting to start a workout upon rising, and then check it again the next morning on rising to see how many calories you actually do burn on a normal day. It would need to be an exercise free day to give you an accurate baseline. Since I prefer to track my training sessions separately, I stop it after each training session. In that way I can see which exercises are more effective. Since it stores 10 sessions, it's easy to just start it and then stop it again.

I'm also only logging the time I'm in my "fat burning zone" as exercise time although I keep track of both real time and zone time in the notes section of the MFP exercise log.

I also reposition the strap slightly through the day so the "sensor" area isn't always against the same patch of skin. I haven't had any irritation in the two weeks I've been using it, but it is a precaution.

One thing I found really interesting. Start a session when you begin a morning of house cleaning (vacuuming, scrubbing, laundry, beds, dusting, window washing, etc.). you'll be shocked to see how many calories your body burns doing that!

The other thing I've noticed is that there is a real difference in the results between the first exercise class I attended, and the most recent one. I burned fewer calories, and was in the zone less at the most recent session. Talked to my trainer and he said it is because I am becoming more fit, and it is taking less effort to accomplish the routine. Makes sense.

Thanks Connie, I did stop if after the shred exercise session and started it again with the elliptical. Do I set my own burn zone or does it do it with my age and weight? I think the first session I was only in zone about 3 minutes, but the second it said 29 minutes.
    I am sure I will get used to this, but I am so afraid to put in so many calories. I will for today but tomorrow I think I will wear it all day just to see how many calories it says for an average day.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    [/quote]

Just out of interest, how much does your 30 Day Shred burn? And big respect to you for doing it! Lets show the youngsters the way to go! Judi
    [/quote]

My new heart rate monitor said I burned 228 calories today, I have been estimating 150 from what I found on the website. I do know that it is a hard 20 minutes workout and I can't wait until it is done. :laugh: I want to trust my new monitor but I don't want to put in the wrong calories since more will let me eat more. Am I making myself clear?
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    The local news station was interviewing an 85-year-old lady because
    she had just married for the fourth time.
    The interviewer asked her questions about her life, about what it felt
    like to be marrying again at 85, and then about her new husband's
    occupation.

"He's a funeral director," she answered.

"Interesting," the newsman thought. He then asked her if she wouldn't
    mind telling him a little about her first three husbands and what they
    did for a living.

She paused for a few moments, needing time to reflect on all those years.

After a short time, a smile came to her face and she answered proudly,
    explaining that she had first married a banker when she was in her
    early 20's, then a circus ringmaster when in her 40's, then a preacher
    when in her 60's, and now in her 80's, the funeral director.
    The interviewer looked at her, quite astonished, and asked why she had
    married four men with such diverse careers.

She smiled and patiently explained, " I married one for the money, two
    for the show, three to get ready, and four to go."

(Oh, just be quiet and send this one on).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love the jokes this morning.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies...although we're a day ahead of most of you, i seem to be a day behind with my postings.

St Parick's day here today so have to find something green to wear...not my usual colour...

This will be my last one - promise

Into a Belfast pub comes Paddy Murphy, looking like he'd just been run over by a train. His arm is in a sling, his nose is broken, his face is cut, and bruised, and he's walking with a limp.

'What happened to you?' asks Sean, the bartender.

'Micheal O'Connor and me had a fight,' says Paddy.

'That little O'Connor,' says Sean, 'He couldn't do that to you, he must have had something in his hand.'

'That he did,' says Paddy, 'a shovel is what he had, and a terrible lickin' he gave me with it.'

'Well,' says Sean, 'you should have defended yourself. Didn't you have something in your hand?'

That I did,' said Paddy, 'Mrs. O'Connor's breast, and a thing of beauty it was; but useless in a fight.'
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Judy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maddie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Ladies on a roll today............:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    ho ho
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    hOhO
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Sandy said:
    Thanks Connie, I did stop if after the shred exercise session and started it again with the elliptical. Do I set my own burn zone or does it do it with my age and weight? I think the first session I was only in zone about 3 minutes, but the second it said 29 minutes.
    I am sure I will get used to this, but I am so afraid to put in so many calories. I will for today but tomorrow I think I will wear it all day just to see how many calories it says for an average day.
    Connie said: Sandy,

Don't forget to subtract your base calories from the calories the monitor says you've burned.

If I sit still and do nothing for 20 minutes, I burn about 1.6 calories a minute or 30 calories.

If I work out for 20 minutes, and the calculator says I burned 150 calories, I subtract the 30 calories, and record only the calories burned from doing the exercise - or 120.

Understand? Look at it in money terms.

It's like calculating profit. If you start a business with a $100 kitty, and you earn another $80, you have a total of $180, but only $80 of that is profit.
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies,

MARIE, I'm in Canada, yes province of Ontario. I do not travel to the U. S. though, that would be interesting.

CONNIE, Love it, did you over- hear me explaining to that other lady that she should have a vet approved diet, clearly she needed a low calorie one.:tongue: I am bad for that too, especially at work (Tims) excuse me.."are those doughnuts fresh"? :noway: My face goes into stone, "no I just found them in the back hall, someone forgot to bring them out front last shift or the other day". "Are you looking to buy a dozen, I will be glad to bring what I can out"? :devil: Meanwhile I get a kick from my front counter person.:wink:

Anyone else have those questions, that you want to do something not good, yet you dish a "getting even" answer?

HEART MONITORS -- What is the main purpose of these instruments? Is there a danger you could become number greedy and go overboard on the calorie burning that leads into fatigue, malnutrition, or crazy habits??:noway:

Good grief I have been sitting on my glutes for a long time, nothing done!!! I have to do exercises yet. Been watching the Japan unfold, shake my head, what a tragic thing. New Zealand is still cleaning up, and it may take many months to get things done.
    Quebec had a bit of a shake today, from Montreal to Ottawa it was felt. The Ottawa River is on a fault as well, so we (bordering the river) could be in for a nasty surprise some day. :frown: Enough gab me! Time for exercises!

Catch you all tomorrow, behave! Or else have some fun doing it.:laugh:

Marilyn