Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I went back and read some earlier posts and yes, oldtyke is Judi and oldbat is Pam....it is so great to have such a great group but it gets harder to keep all the names in my brain......I remember when there were only a few of us and the names were easier to remember but there is so much more laughter and information and and friendship now .:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that everyone put their name at the bottom of their post? Using the signature feature makes this painless.
    we can suggest newcomers do this to make it easier to remember their name, and they will see what we mean when they see everyone elses signature on the end of their posts.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all from Saskatchewan (you will never forget where I am from)!! It was melting a bit today and is supposed to be nice all week. I would be a fool to think that winter is done but will sure enjoy the warmth while it is here. I do try to quickly read the posts each day although I know that sometimes I miss some things. I only post a few highlights about what is going on in my life and usually respond to a few folks each time but I haven't been able to take the time to do personals for each person. I think that people understand when posts are short and don't feel bad when life gets busy and you can't do a newsy post or if you need to miss for a bit. It is nice to have you drop in so that we know you are ok but please don't feel pressured to do more than you can. Sorry that I haven't been around much. To whomever said 'Are you having fun yet?' I have to say buying the appliances was fun although stressful! Now Dave is concerned that the oven we picked out is going to be about 1/2 inch too wide for our spot and may not allow the drawers to open. Always something, but I have faith it will all work out. We are going to the store tomorrow to measure it just to be sure.

Jeri -- Way to go!! You are doing great.

Connie -- It is so hard to see someone we love in pain and so hard when there is little we can do to make the pain go away. You have been given excellent advice so I won't give you more. She will find herself and if it is meant to be you will find the forgiveness in your heart. I hope she has a strong circle of friends to help her through this. She certainly has her Grandma on her side. Just love her as you do.

Barbie -- I surely do feel blessed. I know that in a few weeks we will have a lovely kitchen. Shame on me for whining!! I know that I can unload here and you wonderful people will love me anyway. Sorry for going on about it.

Marie -- I hope your grandaughter is safe. It must be very scary for you. So glad Alice is doing well. I will be thinking of you and Jerry this week.

Sandy -- So glad you had so much birthday fun! You deserve it!

Take care and keep smiling. Will catch more of you the next time. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks barbiecat for bring that to my attention. You are so correct. I was doing that without my glasses I do not even have Oldtyke on my list. I remember when I first saw oldtyke One day I would get those two mixed up and I did. Sorry Girls I hope the rest are correct. Connie I need an update. It is really hard to keep the names strieght with these OLd MInd. I thank I will change mine to OLD MIND
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    who needs a laugh???

Diary of a New Bride

Monday: Now home from honeymoon and settled in our new home. It's fun to cook for Tim. Today I made an angel food cake and the recipe said, "Beat 12 eggs separately ". Well, I didn't have enough bowls to do that, so I had to borrow 12 bowls to beat the eggs in. The cake turned out fine though.

Tuesday: We wanted a fruit salad for supper. The recipe said, "Serve without dressing". So I didn't dress.. But Tim happened to bring a friend home for supper that night. They both looked so startled when I served them. I think it was the salad.

Wednesday: I decided to serve rice and found a recipe, which said, " Wash thoroughly before steaming the rice". So I heated some water and took a bath before steaming the rice. Sounded kind of silly in the middle of the day. I can't say it improved the rice anyhow.

Thursday: Today Tim asked for salad again. I tried a new recipe. It said, prepare ingredients, and then toss on a bed of lettuce one hour before serving." I hunted all over the place for a garden and when I got one, I tossed my salad into the bed of lettuce and stood over there for over one hour so the dog would not take it. Tim came over and asked if I felt all right. I wonder why? He must be stressed at work; I'll try and be supportive.

Friday: Today I found an easy recipe for cookies. It said, "Put all ingredients in a bowl and beat it". Beat it I did, to my mum's place. There must have been something wrong with the recipe, because when I came back home again; it looked the same as when I left it.

Saturday: Tim went shopping today and brought home a chicken. He asked me to dress it for Sunday. I'm sure I don't know how hens dress for Sunday.I never noticed back on the farm, but I found an old doll dress and its little cute shoes. I thought the hen looked really cute.When Tim saw it, he started counting to ten. Either he was really stressed because of his work, or he wanted the chicken to dance. When I asked him what was wrng he started crying and shouting out "Why me? Why me?"

It has to be his job.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :bigsmile:

Judy, again you sent me to bed with a smile on my face...............:bigsmile:

Marie, don't feel bad, I go into a room to get something and forget what I went in there for. :laugh:

Gayla, you will be so happy with your new kitchen, just don't over cook and over eat!! :laugh:

Phoebe, good idea with the signature, you are just so smart. :bigsmile:

Barbie, you mean I am not the only one having problems remembering? :laugh:

Buzz, you must be exhausted from all that housework, but would you mind coming and cleaning my house? :bigsmile:

Dee, hope your tummy feels better soon, you're not preggie are you? :laugh:

Marilyn, good advice for Connie, even though most of want to fix things, we can't. :bigsmile:

Jeri, you better sleep for a few days to get your energy back. :laugh:

Maddie, do you like Ruby??:bigsmile:

Mae, glad you got caught up, that won't last for long with these ladies!! :laugh:

Barb, Daisy needs a lot of room in bed, just sayin". :laugh:

Lynn, you gave great advice and I agree that to do nothing but be there is the best. :heart:

Tried to keep my post short and light............Mondays are hard enough.

Have a great day!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am noting everyone's request for an updated list. I just got a new computer and the list, along with all my old files and programs is on my backup drive which I have not yet hooked up to the new computer. Old laptop is going to our son out in Oregon. His lady's 10-year old son seems to monopolize their home computer so maybe this will enable him to be online and SKYPE with his mother!

Please be patient with me, and I will get a list to you. And please, if you see or spot any errors, let me know.

We had a cool and rainy Sunday after a glorious Saturday in the 70s. Today is chilly and overcast - very gloomy which matches my mood. I'm watching too much CNN with it's ever running videos of the destruction in Japan. I was a very little girl in August of 1945 when we unleashed a similar holocaust on the people there.

Here's my contribution to the humor mill:

A turtle was walking down an alley in New York when he was mugged by a gang of snails.
    A police detective came to investigate and asked the turtle if he could explain what happened.
    The turtle looked at the detective with a confused look on his face and replied “I don't know, it all happened so fast.”
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Am discouraged today. As you know, two weeks ago I had to do a mandatory "cleansing" and lost 4 pounds. The weight stayed off all last week until Thursday then all of a sudden it started creeping up and I've gained it back. I also started walking seriously last week (did 8 miles) so I thought that would keep the creeping at bay.....NOT! When I talked to my daughter, she said she gained when she started exercising so she divorced her scales and only visits it once a week. Maybe I'd better start doing that. :grumble: :frown:

Eye update: still have the big floater but it seems to be decreasing in size. The dr said it would hang around for a while.

Tummy update: better today for sure.

Maddie, I never even heard of Rubie but will definitely check her out. I have been watching Biggest Loser for the first time because of Rulon Gardner and I've enjoyed it. It does inspire me.

Break over, back to cleaning. Love this exercise. It gets easier every time. The sun is trying to come out. Maybe I'll get a mile in outside during my lunchbreak. I clocked a mile in my daughter's neighborhood just for that reason.

Love the bride story. :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers, Kathy our daughter came by to take her Daddy to talk to the radiation doctor this morning. I twisthed may ankle get in and out of her little car. so I decided to atay home this morning. My dear husband hears what he wants to and make up the rest. So the girls decided someone should go with him. He will be able to ride the bus up there for his trestment. Alice is still doing fine. My son has lost 70 ;bs in five months on the weigh lost surgey. He says he want to lose 40 lbs more. I don't think he needs to lose that much, but that is just
    me. talking

Good Monday morning to all of you.Gayla, i know where you are from just don't know how to pronounce it or spell it. It turn a little chilli this morning. but the rest of the week looks wonderful.
    Options
    Hi Marie, hope your ankle is ok. How is your day going? Are you still on your oa plan?
    well, Im discouraged too, Ms. Dee.
    i even looked into changing my program to WW points plus. I may still do it, and keep the sugars, high carbs out of it.
    The reason for this is, I have not lost weight. In spite of my clothes feeling a bit looser, and I thought my tummy looked. Bit smaller. Reminding myself of Barbies mantra, never ever give up, Im going to give it more time. I will try to eat less fat, but other than that, I dont think I can do much until I reach the next stage of my plan. That is where I can add more carbs.
    and on that note, Id better find something to eat.

Terrible news from Japan. Just the worst news, and then it gets worse. My heart goes out to them. I hope they can resolve the nuclear problem, prayers are being sent.
    once again, good jokes, and we needed them!
    have a great Monday
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jerry got back from the cancer center. The doctor said he will have radiation treatment for 30 days . And that it was curable.
    He also said it was likly cause by smoking . we Both quit smoking 26 years ago, Cold turkey. He goes back Friday to find out more details about it . Insurace will have to OK . it.first No telling how long that will take. and that he should get his voice back.

Phoebe WW is a good program.. Remember you did not grain it all in one day and you will not lose it in one day. This take time. Aat least with WW you can eat more normal. Than you are now. I don't know much about their new program. All I know you don't count your fruit and veggies.

Dee are you on the new program of WW.?.
    You have lost real good.
    My daughter join but I don' think she is following it real good. I keeping heaing from her no food is off limit. I join in 1969 and reach my goal.Firt thing I had after reaching goal was a hamburger and french fries
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

So glad things went the way they did today for your DH. I was so sad to read about your ankle...I hope your ankle heals quickly.
    Do you have any kind of brace?

A little humor to brighten an otherwise gloomy day:

An Italian Meal

For several years, a man had been having an affair with an Italian woman. One night, she confided to him that she was pregnant.

Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she would go back to Italy to secretly have the child. Also, if she stayed in Italy to raise the child, he would provide child support until the child turned 18.

She agreed, but asked how he would know when the baby was born. To keep it discrete, he told her to simply mail him a post card, and write 'Spaghetti' on the back when the child was born. He would then arrange for the Child Support Payments to begin.

One day, about 8 months later, he came home to his confused wife. 'Honey,' she said, 'you received a very strange post card today.' 'Oh, just give it to me and I'll explain it later,' he said. The wife obeyed and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.

On the card was written: Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, and Spaghetti, three with meatballs, two without. Send extra sauce. :noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh:

I'll post to the rest of you another time....my concentration is spent today.

Best to all for a good day with food, family and plans.:flowerforyou:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Lynn, I have heard that one before but it is still funny no matter how many times you hear it. :laugh:

Marie, I am glad your daughter went with Jerry so you got all the correct information. The news sounds good and once he is done with the radiation and gets his voice back, hopefully your life will be somewhat normal. I hope your granddaughter learned her lesson and will not take that idiot back into her life. There is absolutely no reason for another human being to hit another in any relationship.
    I hope she goes and talks to someone about this situation. Again, I missed whether Alice had surgery or not, I know she was going to and I know the news is good that she doesn't have cancer, but did she have a hysterectomy? Inquiring minds want to know.

Connie, just briefly let me add that I like you feel my granddaughter who is 16 is like another daughter to me. I want to do everything I can to protect her and keep her safe from anything hurtful. However, that is not always possible and it is part of growing up. I too feel, that if he did marry her feeling this way, the marriage would never have worked. I know how hard it must be for her, but just be there for her and tell her to take it one day at a time.

I did the 30 day shred day 3 and then tried to get 3 miles on my elliptical but my back started hurting so I only rode it for 10 minutes, I then went to the stationary bike but only did 24 minutes on that. Every little bit helps and if my back feels better later I will either walk Daisy or do the wii free step. Arizona in a little over two weeks, hope I make my goal, wish me luck.

Have a great day!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I've got the Posters list moved over to my new computer and I went all the way back to the beginning of March looking for new people. I only added one person to the list so I'm not sure why so many of you felt there are lots of new posters.

A couple of us have changed our users names, and that may make it seem like there are folks posting who never did before. Both Maddie and I are using new user names.

Someone suggested and we add our real first names, or nicknames to our signatures that appear automatically at the bottom of each post. I think that's a great idea. I prefer to address people by their first names rather than some cryptic user name.

I did this list in rich text format which can be opened and updated in Word Pad which is standard on all Windows computers and on all Windows operating systems since day one and will get it out to everyone who asked for an update.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    I've got the Posters list moved over to my new computer and I went all the way back to the beginning of March looking for new people. I only added one person to the list so I'm not sure why so many of you felt there are lots of new posters.

A couple of us have changed our users names, and that may make it seem like there are folks posting who never did before. Both Maddie and I are using new user names.

Someone suggested and we add our real first names, or nicknames to our signatures that appear automatically at the bottom of each post. I think that's a great idea. I prefer to address people by their first names rather than some cryptic user name.

I did this list in rich text format which can be opened and updated in Word Pad which is standard on all Windows computers and on all Windows operating systems since day one and will get it out to everyone who asked for an update.

Thank you Connie....I think some of us did get confused with new user names and a couple of new people like grandee and SS88.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    By the way the latest posting on twitter with Jeffrey says::

jeffrey1598 jeffrey writtenhouse
    I'm at Starbucks (301 East Coliseum Blvd, Coliseum & Coldwater, Fort Wayne)
    Options
    Sandy, Alice's surgery went well. She has gone home. They got it all, and no further treatment is necessary. Isn't. That amazing!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Wow, am I confused or what :huh: ? I thought I knew oldbats from oldtykes, but since both are from the UK, it seems once we hit the 80 year mark, evryone looks alike, eh, MARIE???:embarassed: OK, I think I have it straightened out, but CONNIE's kind list will help immeasurably! I just hope I'll understand saving it in Word Pad! I'm really technically deficient!!! :ohwell: Anyway, SANDY and BARBIE...thanks again for being so informative!

PHOEBE: I always mean to mention the name at the bottom of a post, since not everyone's appears, so thanks for bringing it up :smile: ...It helps me focus better!!!

GAYLA..
    .Dave is concerned that the oven we picked out is going to be about 1/2 inch too wide for our spot and may not allow the drawers to open
    Oh my goodness- - - just move the darn wall!!! I'll bet it does fit, but it's always one worry or another close to the finish line! Puhlease let us know, so I can breathe again!!! :frown:

MARIE...
    I thank I will change mine to OLD MIND
    not YOUR mind, dahlin'! You're sharp as a tack! :love:

JUDY---there you go again!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Is it a special NZ trait? And with all you've had going on down under!!!:smooched:

SANDY...
    would you mind coming and cleaning my house?
    I hate cleaning my own, luv, or
    I'd surely fly to you!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Somehow my last post posted itself! continuation...............

CONNIE: thank you for the list. You are so generous with your time and efforts! Loved your snail-paced joke! Are you coming to terms with your feelings? :flowerforyou: I, too, clearly recall the day our bomb decimated Hiroshima! I was a bit older than you, and my emotions were so strong then...but it ended a horrendous war. Why is war such a necessity to otherwise civilized societies? :mad:

DEE:... I'd do that once-a-week scale thing, too, if I had the willpower! Right now, my weight is going in the wrong direction! :cry:

MARIE: So glad Kathy is going with her Dad; He's not the only male with selective hearing/imagination!!! :noway: Just saw your latest post...whew, 30 days and then he should start feeling normal soon after, I hope! Have some info following.....

PHOEBE: Is it possible we have ALL been coming in under our calorie goals? It may be why we aren't losing weight. That's what my nutritionist advised, but I have trouble eating more than I am! Thought I'd never say that!!!

LYNN...spaghetti funny!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here is simple fiber information I copied; it may help explain the way to get it:

FIBER

A high-fiber diet can help normalize your blood-sugar levels, improve your cholesterol, regulate your bowel function, and help keep you from feeling hungry, which aids in weight loss.

How Much Fiber?
    " According to some statistics, Americans eat only 12 to 17 grams per day when they should be getting 25 to 30 grams."

What Kind of Fiber Is Best?
    There are two forms of fiber: soluble and insoluble. It's important to consume both types of fiber for good health. Soluble fiber helps regulate blood-sugar levels by delaying the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream, and it improves cholesterol levels by reducing the absorption of cholesterol as well. Insoluble fiber adds bulk to your stool, which promotes regularity. Most foods contain both types of fiber, but oats, nuts, beans, and fruit contain predominately soluble fiber, while whole grains and vegetables contain more insoluble fiber..

Buzz
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hey Buzz, that sounds like something I read on South Beach today????

Maddie