Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Happy St Patrick Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh LUV2Cruz! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Well I'm feeling alot better today, the training session turned out to be computers for dummies so I reckon I'll cope with it :wink: Out of the 5 of us there, 3 are going to Canada for their hols, so prepare for an invasion!
    I actually did 46 mins on my Wii today ! 30 of that should have been step, but I think the batteries on the board were low, so it all ended up being the cycling, but I did it fast enough to work up a sweat.
    JUDY:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    DEE I hope you have a good day out, sighs whistfully at the thought of 70 degrees .
    JERI, it is sad when someone who has been very active gets dementia, you have to remember the happy times.
    XYLA, I had a hysterectomy at 33. It was when they cut you across your stomach "so you could wear a bikini again"! The first 12 hours were not what I would call comfortable, but we were on paracetamol within 24 hrs and it all went swimmingly from then on. The worst thing was the wind :angry: They pump it in to separate everything and it only really comes out one way :laugh:
    They also gave us enemas and alot of the girls were very constipated afterwards but I was fine as I ate oranges non stop. Now most "hysterical rectomies" are done as an up and under job. But this was all a long time ago. Joke on the subject;-

Did you hear about the gynaecologist who wallpapered his hall through the letterbox?

LYNN, loved the joke it made me LOL. The juicing sounds like something from a health spa.
    CONNIE, do take it easy and get well soon. Drink plenty!
    PHOEBE, commiserations at having to go back to work. I always loved being at home. I hope you feel the benefit of being off.
    Barbie, I have a pedometer. It's in my bedside cabinet drawer. When I worked "on the district" it would count a step every time I changed gear in the car, but I don't think it was ever accurate, and it had a very irritating woman's voice. I used to swear at her :blushing:
    I've just put a piri piri chicken bake in the oven, so I hope it's going to hit the spot.
    I'll see if I can find the photos of the local "big house's" snowdrop walk , when I was quite ill last year it was a glorious morning which really lifted my spirits.
    So take care my lovelies, don't do anything I wouldn't do! (gives you plenty of scope) and I'll speak to you all tomorrow, Judi xx
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies - have just done my morning workout on my treadmill...it's going to be a lovely day here - well into the 80's so going to do some gardening..

THE TOILET SEAT

Charlie's wife, Lucy, had been after him for several weeks to paint the
    seat on their toilet. Finally, he got around to doing it while Lucy was
    out. After finishing, he left to take care of another matter before she
    returned.

She came in and undressed to take a shower. Before getting
    in the shower, she sat on the toilet. As she tried to stand up, she
    realized that the not-quite-dry epoxy paint had glued her to the toilet
    seat. About that time, Charlie got home and realized her predicament.
    They both pushed and pulled without any success whatsoever. Finally, in
    desperation, Charlie undid the toilet seat bolts. Lucy wrapped a sheet
    around herself and Charlie drove her to the hospital emergency room.
    The ER Doctor got her into a position where he could study how to free
    her (Try to get a mental picture of this.). Lucy tried to lighten the
    embarrassment of it all by saying, "Well, Doctor, I'll bet you've never
    seen anything like this before." The Doctor replied, "Actually, I've
    seen lots of them. I just never saw one mounted and framed."
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Hi everyone - sorry i haven't posted! I'm still playing catch up at work and trying to walk the dogs and hit the gym after work to get rid of all this weight i put on on our road trip! sheesh.......:grumble: bad me.

Sandy - i love your new picture and i think you rock doing the shred thing!

Connie, Xyla and anyone else who is sick - get well soon!!!!!!!:sick: being sick stinks!

Gayla - i haven't read your post but i get it that you're getting all new kitchen appliances?!?!? oh SO fun! That was one of the best things about renovating my house. My kitchen rocks and i love all the new appliances! my microwave is a drawer in the island - it's kinda cool.

Lynn - you're amazing! all that juice! way cool. you have so much energy.

So i gained like 5 pounds in 4 days - i lost 2 this morning. I'm not changing my ticker 'till i see where i'm at on Monday. I even swam laps at 1 of the motels we stayed in. My friend is a bad junk food eater though and i joined in way more than i should have. ugh.......:angry:

ok, back to work so i can leave in time for the dog walk, the gym and a visit with baby Kodi! She's 2 months already!!!!!!!

hope you're all having a great day.

l:heart: , e
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Oh you jokesters!! good stuff, keep it coming!
    Lyn, I enjoyed your info about your juice plan, and why you do it, and of course, how much experience you have had with it. Does it have any 'negative side effects' ? I thought with all that liquid, and you sure can't soak those veggies overnight to prevent gas, can you? LOL
    Marie, you are doing great, I know you get tired of cooking, but you may get used to it, and even enjoy it.
    Wonderful day here, sunny, warm, about 75. Crazy cats don't even stay outside, they get sleepy and come in to nap.. so spoiled.
    Judi, what is piri piri chicken?
    Judy, sounds like a plan, gardening, wanna come here and do some more..you are welcome!
    Sandy, hope your meeting goes well.
    Jackie, swim girl, that sounds like fun. And I love the image I have in my mind of you and Ms. Millie sitting peacefully!
    Maddie, with all our traveling, I never had much desire to camp, but now, next to a river sounds too good to pass up, hope you enjoy your summer.
    Hi Barbie, thanks for reposting your peds. name. You must be very coordinated, I look at people line dancing, and I know it is not for me, I could not for the life of me get it right! I'd always turn the wrong way!
    take care
  • LJT2
    LJT2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been looking for a good pedometer. Does yours have to have any of those belts or other things, in addition to putting it in your pocket? If not, it may be JUST what I've been looking for. Thanks for the tip!

:flowerforyou: My pedometer is Omron HJ-720ITC......I carry it in my pocket (so it is doesn't fall off a belt clip)......it has software so I can download the data onto my computer and see my progress and averages, etc, over time.........I have been wearing/carrying a pedometer for about ten years and it encourages me to walk more and be more active
  • LJT2
    Options
    Uh Oh - I was trying to reply to Barbiecat's message, and I see it seems to have developed a life of it's own. I'm not sure I understand how to do the 'thread' type reply yet!!! Sorry!
    Hi - I've been looking for a good pedometer. Does yours have to have any of those belts or other things, in addition to putting it in your pocket? If not, it may be JUST what I've been looking for. Thanks for the tip!

:flowerforyou: My pedometer is Omron HJ-720ITC......I carry it in my pocket (so it is doesn't fall off a belt clip)......it has software so I can download the data onto my computer and see my progress and averages, etc, over time.........I have been wearing/carrying a pedometer for about ten years and it encourages me to walk more and be more active
  • LJT2
    Options
    OK - trying again. I was hoping to post a reply to your note earlier, and I see it's loaded below. I really hope this adds to Barbiecat's posting!

If not, can someone help me!??!! (Both with how to reply correctly to someone's posting, and about the Omron pedometer)

Thanks!
    Laura
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies, Happy St. Patricks Day, Cheers!!

Been busy cleaning house, sis is away so I am the maid until she returns. Legs became sore just after three hours, and I'm not happy with that because I will be on my feet 8-11 hours week after next. I hope things can be worked out so I can start some leg and knee exercises with this pilates. I also am thinking about dancersising (sp)? I think that would be my number one best exercise. I love to dance, and when I was in my early teens a few of my friends and I had the best sets of abs and buttocks around because of that. I am wondering if I can at least achieve a good bit of fat lose and strengthen my core muscles in a more invigorating way. Any comments: please speak up.

Another thing I was wondering about is; music, am I hearing that there are CD's that are mixed for just that purpose, dancing? I do not have a TVor other video equipment so I am to rely on music.

Twink is on my case to feed the babe's, so I will end here, have a great day ladies and don't be hungover tomorrow!:laugh:

Marilyn
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Marilyn: Your computer should have free music that you can play to dance or whatever you want to do. Why don't you look for some? You can download songs from Amazon to your computer, too. They cost from .99 to 1.29 each. And it's easy. That way you only have to listen to what you like!!

Maddie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Marilyn, try Pandora.com, I think you can get it there too. I love it, free music, and you choose the singer/band, whatever, and tey play similar music to that, as well as the singer you chose.
    Laura, you just need to hit plain old reply and it will post on the board. We will all read your message, but thats ok, Barbie will be one of the ones who reads it! LOL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options

Laura, when I got my pedometer I had to figure out the length of my stride and put in that information along with my weight and set the clock then i put it in my pocket and it counts steps and resets itself at midnight.......it also tells me about aerobic steps and calories burned and distance traveled but I pay attention primarily to the number of steps.....it also remembers a week's worth of steps so I can compare just by pushing a button and looking at the pedometer......there may be a cheaper model that doesn't have the computer hook up but my husband bought me this one and now that I can keep track of the data on the computer, I love it.

:flowerforyou: we went out for corned beef and cabbage today......there was a special luncheon at the place we want to move and the manager invited us to come.....we got to meet a lot of people and enjoy a meal that was exactly what I had visualized......except for too much Irish soda bread, I ate sensibly...fortunately, I ate it without butter :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

2039447muiw50f41m.gif
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all. Last night I took Neil to a hockey game. My nephew was playing in a band (drums) between periods and before the game started so I knew it would be extra special for Neil. Unfortunately he had 3 seizures during the game. Not bad ones but enough that it left him with a headache so we left about 10 minutes early. When we got there it was still melting and we came out of the arena to a blizzard. I told Dave that I nearly killed us twice!! A little exaggeration but it was close!! I was very glad to get home and remembered why I don't drive at night. Darn night vision or lack of it! I was glad that I didn't know about the weather while the game was on. It was a fun evening.

Dave is out helping our oldest son with his bathroom renovations today and likely tomorrow. It will put us behind a couple of days but I was glad he helped him. I am not sure how confident he was with some of the stuff he was doing. So I am here without a car so can't go to the appliance guy today. I will go in with Dave in the morning tomorrow so I can take Neil to his appt. and then will do my stuff in the afternoon. Now I am debating on a new fridge. While I don't feel like we need a new one I am afraid if we wait we won't be able to find one to fit into the space we have for a fridge. Fridges are huge now. I always thought mine was big but wowzie!! There are some disadvantages to having appliances built in I am finding.

Marie -- Neil's voice is getting stronger all the time. Tomorrow he sees the speech therapist so anxious to see what she says. He still seems to need the liquids thickened for drinking. I really would like to try without but I don't want him scared if it doesn't work out. I think I will make an appointment for him to see the throat Dr. again. He just puts a tube down to see what is going on and it doesn't seem to be too difficult for him. He doesn't like it but he only complains for a few minutes!

Barbie -- I had no doubt that you would eat sensibly!! I hope you enjoyed it. I love corned beef and cabbage.

Lynn -- It sounds like you made a lot of juice!! I hope you enjoy it. Some of it sounds yummy, some --- not so much! :wink: Thanks for the support!

Ellie -- You have me very curious about your microwave. I haven't seen anything like that in all my travels. Perhaps we don't have it here yet.

Sheesh! I know there was more I was going to say but brain has gone to sleep I think. It is nearly time to watch Tennis!

I wish all of you who are unwell to get better soon. We will miss you. The jokes make me smile.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla Vivian :heart:
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou: for the pedometer info. My WW pedometer that I've had for several years says I took 9700 steps today but only walked 1.7 miles. Yes, I need a new one and I'm going to look for the one you suggested.

Had a wonderful day today with my friend, Joy, who is also my son's MIL so we share grandkids. She had a stroke last April....we almost lost her....but she's recovered with minimal damage. Today she ran me ragged! :tongue: It was wonderful! :bigsmile: I showed her MFP and she signed up. She's really excited about tracking food and exercise and I'm hoping eventually she won't fear the computer and find a forum or two.

Marie A (there's a Marie here, and my nextdoor neighbor is Marie B - so many Marie's in my life!), the gal I'm helping who has seizures is back from visiting her daughter in Costa Rica, so I'll be working with her again next week. Her hubby got her WiiFit+ so we're going to start doing some things with that. It will be fun! She was gone two weeks and I really missed her!

Time for me to say good night. I'm going to sleep well tonight thanks to Joy! :yawn:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello and good night see you all on Part 2 tomorrow
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Can't remember everything, but the Costco/purina joke was priceless, as was the other one that I laughed at and now can't remember:ohwell:

Xyla, Good luck with your surgery. I am sure you will be glad to have it behind you.

Buzz, Your nutritionist sounds like she knows more about food and nutrition than she does about how not eating enough to support your body can result in a lowered metabolism, which equals no weight loss, and possibly even a gain. There are some threads on MFP related to eating your exercise calories. I think you should search some of the info on starvation mode out and use it as a basis for discussion with your nutritionist. Even if you are paying her, if she is giving advice that could actually be detrimental to weight loss......well..you get the idea. The foregoing is IMHO, so you can do as you please, of course, but I just want to make sure you have all the info you need to make the best choices for you.

Gayla, I think you will be happier with the stainless steel appliances, and there is much to be said for two ovens--now you can bake two dishes at the same time that require a different temperature. THAT should come in very handy if you have a houseful of people for dinner.

To everyone I didn't address by name, it is not for lack of interest, just lack of brainpower.

BFN

Barb
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Dee, try the cycling on Wiifit + it's addictive.

Recipe for piri piri chicken here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/piripirichicken_72310 It was scrummy :smile:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well, here I am again. I walked for two days in a row and my back hurts, my shins are screaming and I'm smiling bigsmile I've had a lot of pain in my life but this is pain that I EARNED.....and I'm going to enjoy it!! I might even go out and try to get me some more!! Take that!!

Dancing helps anything, anytime of the day or night. Of course, you can't worry about people thinking that you're nuts when you break out in the grocery store! Remember Elaine from Seinfeld?

FEEL GOOD SONG OF THE DAY: YOUTUBE.COM "Flashlight" by Parliment

animated_elaine.gif

Maddie
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

It's a beautiful day in Centra PA! Like Maddie, I'm headed out to walk, but first I wanted to share something yummy and healthy with you.

I'm reviving some WW recipes from the past. I'd forgotten about this one and it's so easy and yummy that I want to share it with you. It's called Vanilla Ricotta Creme - 1 cup lowfat ricotta, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 pak sweetner (I use 1 Tb honey instead). Mix together well. I use 2 Tb of it on a rice cake for a delicious snack. This can be the base for whatever you want to do with it. I also make Peanut Butter Ricotta Creme by adding 4 Tb peanut butter to the base and mixing it well. For a fruity approach, just spread a Tb of your favorite preserves (mine's strawberry) on the rice cake and put the Vanilla Ricotta creme on top. YUM! Enjoy!

If you want more old WW recipes, just say so and I'm happy to share. :happy: