17 Day Diet

Options
Has anyone else tried the 17 day diet? I am on day four and have been following it as well as logging on here to track what I eat. Wanted to see if anyone else has tried it and what was the success after the first 17 days??

Replies

• paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    Haven't heard of it. What does it consist of?
  • ang_lovinlife
    ang_lovinlife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is on the 17 day diet. She lost 5 pounds the first week!! Suposed to lose another 5 to 7 in the 17 day period.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    My coworker is doing it. She has cheated a little bit but has stayed mostly true. Even so she has lost 4 pounds in a couple weeks.

She said it's difficult, as she's really hungry. I don't think it allows enough protein, but I think even if you do a variation of the principles it would be a good short term cleanse diet.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ang_lovinlife
    ang_lovinlife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    She actually sent me this:

Cycle 1 - Accelerate 17 Days

Diet will consist of lean proteins, vegetables, low sugar fruits, probiotic foods, and good fats. Starchy foods such as potatoes, legumes, brown rice, corn, and oatmeal are not permitted on this cycle, but remember…it’s just 17 days.
    Enjoy fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible. Frozen and canned verggies are fine, in moderation. They must be unsweetened though.
    Do not eat any fruit after 2pm. Fruit is a carb. If you eat carbs in the evening it’s harder for the body to burn them off bc you expend less energy in the evening. Those carbs may be stored as fat.
    Avoid alcohol and sugar in order to help your body eliminate toxins, improve digestion, and burn fat.
    Probiotics boost the immune system and promote gut cleansing bacteria. They are also thought to help burn fat.
    Eat slowly and until full, don’t overload your stomach.
    Drink eight 8oz glasses of water a day.
    Start off every morning, as soon as you wake, with a hot glass of water with juice from ½ lemon squeezed into to. This gets your digestive juices flowing.
    You can have black coffee (can sweeten with truvia) and tea. It’s actually recommended that you drink green tea with every meal to get in 3 servings, which is beneficial. However, you don’t have to do this.
    Exercise at least 17 minutes a day.

Lean Proteins: Protein stimulates the reduction of body fat. Eat all you want of the following proteins during this cycle.
    Fish (salmon, sole, flounder, catfish, tilapia, canned light tuna in water)
    Poultry (chicken breasts, turkey breasts, ground turkey, eggs)

Cleansing Vegetables: These veggies support detoxification in the intestines, blood, and liver, and offer protective antioxidants.
    Artichoke Asparagus Bell peppers Broccoli
    Brussels Sprouts Cabbage Carrots Cauliflower
    Celery Cucumbers Eggplant Garlic
    Green Beans Green leafy Kale Leeks
    Lettuce Mushrooms Okra Onions
    Parsley Scallions Spinach Tomatoes

Low-Sugar Fruit – 2 servings daily: These fruits are full of water, high in fiber, and low in calories.
    Apples Berries Grapefruit Oranges
    Peaches Pears Plums Prunes
    Red Grapes

Probiotic Foods – 2 servings daily: These help balance your digestive system.
    Yogurt (Greek style, sugar free fruit flavored, plain, low fat) 6oz = 1 serving
    Kefir: similar to a drinking style yogurt (ideal for smoothies)
    Low-fat acidophilus milk
    Yakult
    Breakstone LiveActive Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup – 1 serving
    Sauerkraut ½ cup = 1 serving

Friendly Fats 1-2 TBSP daily:
    Olive oil and flaxseed oil

Condiments: in moderation
    Salsa, low-carb marinara sauce, lite soy sauce, low-carb ketchup, fat-free sour cream, low-fat, low sodium broth, Truvia sweetner, sugar free jams, vegetable cooking spray, fat free cheeses (parmesean) fat-free salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, herbs, and spices.

You can have black coffee (can sweeten with truvia) and tea. It’s actually recommended that you drink green tea with every meal to get in 3 servings, which is beneficial. However, you don’t have to do this.

Example Meal Plan:
    Breakfast:
    2 eggs or 4 egg whites, or 1 serving of probiotics like yogurt
    1 fruit serving
    1 cup green tea
    Lunch:
    Liberal amounts of protein on the list
    Liberal amounts of cleansing veggies
    1 cup green tea
    Dinner:
    Liberal amounts of protein on the list
    Liberal amounts of cleansing veggies
    1 cup green tea
    Snacks:
    2nd fruit serving (eaten before 2pm)
    2nd Probiotic serving
    Additional:
    1 serving of oils on veggies or salad
  • Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would love to try that diet. Is it easy have you lost weight??
  • Tlkt1969
    Tlkt1969 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 3 pounds in the four days. First couple of days hungry but trust me I am eating a ton of protein!!!! Chicken and Salads a lot, cleansing veggies, 2 fruits per day and also have to get to probiotics in as well.

There are some days I don't get it all in oh and the real kicker lots and lots of water. I do lemon water all day long. Plus have to drink green tea with every meal.

Plus exersice 17 minutes per day.

I think what is helping me by staying on this is realizing I don't need all the junk I was eating before to get me to the weight I am now. Fingers crossed a friend of mine lost 20 in the first 17 day cycle.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have seen it over and over on Dr. Phil, I don't really get it. He's always been against diets, then promoted this. What I don't understand is, do you just keep doing it? Or do you do it for 3 cycles only?
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    My grandma did this diet and she did it to the tee. Didn't cheat for two months and dropped 20lbs which is a huge difference on her already small frame.

BUT it made her sooo weak she "couldn't hold her head up", dizzy, and slightly hard to be around from all the hunger pains. She was very strict with it and I'm glad she lost the weight but I can't imagine 2 months being so weak being any good.

So yes, you do lose weight but be careful because it is absolutely difficult to maintain that kind of eating!!
  • Becky1971
    Options
    See that was my thoughts, that it would be hard to maintain. So I was confused as to why Dr. Phil promoted it. At the time he promoted it, I started reading his Ultimate Weight Solution for the psychological aspect of learning to eat right, and I felt it was such a contradiction. I do like the aspect of shifting gears, but I don't think that needs to happen less you hit a plateau.
  • claeysm
    claeysm Posts: 85
    Options
    BUMP
  • sasschameleon
    Options
    I'm just starting this "diet" and I have high hopes for it. People who complain about it being hard to follow because they are SOOO hungry and whatnot are not doing it correctly. The first cycle says you can eat AS MUCH lean meat and vegetables as you want. There is no portion size. If they are feeling hungry, that's their own fault. I've been doing the diet for a few days now and my problem is trying to get my 1200 minimum daily calorie intake. I usually feel so full that I end up eating less than that (which isn't healthy).

As far as why Dr. Phil may have promoted it even though he's against dieting goes...well I think that's because this isn't really a diet. It's a Lifestyle change. Diets are quick fix fads that don't last because you go right back to the way you used to eat. This weight loss system teaches you how to eat what a healthy person should already be eating. There are actually 4 cycles. If you reach your goal weight after cycle 1 he has you skip to cycle 4 which is maintaining your new lifestyle (this cycle is much less restrictive than in cycle 1). Cycle 1 helps you kick your body into gear to start burning the fat and to cleans your body of toxins from all that junk food you've been eating. Cycle 2 lets you eat a wider variety of foods than in cycle 1. I haven't read through cycle 3 yet because I don't want to get ahead of myself. I glanced at it quickly to see what it entailed and everything in the book makes sense.

My advise to anybody thinking about trying the 17 day diet is to BUY the book or see if a friend has one they aren't using and browse through it. DO NOT try to do the diet off of "word of mouth". People are making comments that have either been misinterpreted from the book or are from things they've "heard" from people who tried the diet (the people may not have followed the book correctly which is why they didn't get the desired results). I'm using a friends book at the moment because we are doing the diet together but believe me, I'm asking for my own copy when Christmas rolls around! :happy:
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thanks for more information! So cycle 4 is maintenance and that's where you stay on going? On the show I saw that each cycle is 17 days and then you start over? As far as DIET, I would say it is a diet, and they consider it a diet since they named it the 17 day diet. Sounds to me like the title is misleading. But I know from reading Dr. Phils book, that he was referring to more than just the grape fruit diet or whatever other fad diets are out there, and it sounds to me like the 17 day diet has become a fad diet.
    I'm just starting this "diet" and I have high hopes for it. People who complain about it being hard to follow because they are SOOO hungry and whatnot are not doing it correctly. The first cycle says you can eat AS MUCH lean meat and vegetables as you want. There is no portion size. If they are feeling hungry, that's their own fault. I've been doing the diet for a few days now and my problem is trying to get my 1200 minimum daily calorie intake. I usually feel so full that I end up eating less than that (which isn't healthy).

As far as why Dr. Phil may have promoted it even though he's against dieting goes...well I think that's because this isn't really a diet. It's a Lifestyle change. Diets are quick fix fads that don't last because you go right back to the way you used to eat. This weight loss system teaches you how to eat what a healthy person should already be eating. There are actually 4 cycles. If you reach your goal weight after cycle 1 he has you skip to cycle 4 which is maintaining your new lifestyle (this cycle is much less restrictive than in cycle 1). Cycle 1 helps you kick your body into gear to start burning the fat and to cleans your body of toxins from all that junk food you've been eating. Cycle 2 lets you eat a wider variety of foods than in cycle 1. I haven't read through cycle 3 yet because I don't want to get ahead of myself. I glanced at it quickly to see what it entailed and everything in the book makes sense.

My advise to anybody thinking about trying the 17 day diet is to BUY the book or see if a friend has one they aren't using and browse through it. DO NOT try to do the diet off of "word of mouth". People are making comments that have either been misinterpreted from the book or are from things they've "heard" from people who tried the diet (the people may not have followed the book correctly which is why they didn't get the desired results). I'm using a friends book at the moment because we are doing the diet together but believe me, I'm asking for my own copy when Christmas rolls around! :happy:
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been on the 17 day diet since July 4th and I have lost around 34 pounds on it and am only five off my goal.

It is NOT a fad diet. People should read the book, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The first 17 days is cleansing so limited food lists, no carbs as such apart from fruit and veggies- UNLIIMITED protein, the next 17 days is introducing different types of meat then some complex carbs like potato, brown rice, oatmeal etc but only 2 servings a day and before 2pm-again UNLIMITED protein.

Cycle 3 is more like a Weightwatchers type plan ( I have done Weightwatchers too) you can have 2 servings of complex carbs every day and optional snacks-you add things like bacon, turkey rashers, skinny cow ice cream, bread, cereal etc and even alcohol. You can een eat these after 2pm if you wish.......... in this cycle the protein is limited to a certain size potion but with the complex carbs you are getting to eat on this cycle then it makes sense.....

You drink green tea, water and you ARE allowed diet sodas in moderation......milk is also allowed on cycle 3.

When you have finished all 3 cycles then you have the option of going through them again if you have more weight to lose or going back to cycle 2 or staying on cycle 3 until you get to your goal. Then you go on the maintenance plan-cycle 4.

Believe me when I say this way of eating is totally sustainable. I am very rarely hungry. Other posters who have had friends/relatives doing this diet andare saying they were starving and weak with hunger-Im sorry but they haven't been doing it properly. You should not be hungry on this diet-you can eat as much protein as you want..... in fact some days Ive struggled to eat enough to get myself up to 1200 calories per day.... and the diet encourages regular exercise, and increased exercise when you get to maintenance. I am so glad I found this diet, it has totally re-educated me about how to eat properly and how to avoid processed junk..... It was the best six pounds I ever spent after wasting years and hundreds of pounds at Weightwatchers.....
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! With the protein I don't see how people could be starving either. Doesn't sound like anything off the wall for sure, I don't think they really talked about maintenance on Dr. Phil, I don't remember it anyways, cause my thought was, you can't do a diet for so many days, and that be the fix all, and I thought it was crazy that Dr. Phil was promoting that. But I see how it works as a lifestyle change for sure. I probably won't read it, less I didn't have to pay for it, since I'm near goal and all.
    I have been on the 17 day diet since July 4th and I have lost around 34 pounds on it and am only five off my goal.

It is NOT a fad diet. People should read the book, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The first 17 days is cleansing so limited food lists, no carbs as such apart from fruit and veggies- UNLIIMITED protein, the next 17 days is introducing different types of meat then some complex carbs like potato, brown rice, oatmeal etc but only 2 servings a day and before 2pm-again UNLIMITED protein.

Cycle 3 is more like a Weightwatchers type plan ( I have done Weightwatchers too) you can have 2 servings of complex carbs every day and optional snacks-you add things like bacon, turkey rashers, skinny cow ice cream, bread, cereal etc and even alcohol. You can een eat these after 2pm if you wish.......... in this cycle the protein is limited to a certain size potion but with the complex carbs you are getting to eat on this cycle then it makes sense.....

You drink green tea, water and you ARE allowed diet sodas in moderation......milk is also allowed on cycle 3.

When you have finished all 3 cycles then you have the option of going through them again if you have more weight to lose or going back to cycle 2 or staying on cycle 3 until you get to your goal. Then you go on the maintenance plan-cycle 4.

Believe me when I say this way of eating is totally sustainable. I am very rarely hungry. Other posters who have had friends/relatives doing this diet andare saying they were starving and weak with hunger-Im sorry but they haven't been doing it properly. You should not be hungry on this diet-you can eat as much protein as you want..... in fact some days Ive struggled to eat enough to get myself up to 1200 calories per day.... and the diet encourages regular exercise, and increased exercise when you get to maintenance. I am so glad I found this diet, it has totally re-educated me about how to eat properly and how to avoid processed junk..... It was the best six pounds I ever spent after wasting years and hundreds of pounds at Weightwatchers.....
  • aprilvalenz
    Options
    Can you eat as many eggs as you want or just whites?
  • iretdk
    iretdk Posts: 2
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet and I also work out at least 5 days a week. In 10 days I lost 13 lbs, I struck to the diet for 17 days and I ate good.Lots of salad,veg,fruit on the list.Water and green tea is important.I am still losing and not have lost over 24 lbs.I started the Mon after easter.Lots of info on twitter and facebook.Keep you eye on the prize. I feel so healthy and lots of energy.
  • iretdk
    iretdk Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't really consider it a diet,it really changed the way I eat. You must eat on the diet or it won't work.Don't skimp.I eat lots of grilled chicken,fish,turkey burgers,I do eat on occasion lean gound beef or a good steak.Lots of veg.salads.I make by on dressing using flaxseed oil.Many recipes on the web.I also make smoothies with the acidolphilus lowfat milk.I sometimes use unsweented frozen fruit in them,1packet of truvia,tablespoon of plain yogurt and some flaxseed oil maybe a teaspoon.
  • carolinemcd123
    Options
    Bump
  • faphane2008
    faphane2008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this and see if I could lose the 15 lbs I wanted. Anybody want to join me in this journey, request me as friend so we could encourage each other.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump