17 Day Diet

Options

Replies

• Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have done this. A coworker of his does it and has lost nearly 70 pounds. Hubby has lost nearly 20. I lost 12. Then I got bored. I am NOT creative in the kitchen, and I do not enjoy cooking, so trying to find different ways to quickly and easily prepare chicken or turkey was driving me nuts. Personally, I got very bored. I did do it with him through the first 3 cycles and when we went back to cycle 1, I quit. I just could not handle any more chicken or turkey or fish, even if it was only for 17 days.

And, yes, I had even bought their cookbook for ideas and inspiration, went to various websites and we made a 3-ring binder of recipes and ideas, etc. But I despise cooking and it was not fun or easy for me to experiment in the kitchen.

I've seen the success. I've seen the sustainability. I've seen the changes. But, for me as an individual who would prefer homes come without kitchens, anything requiring me to find 100 different ways to prepare chicken isn't for me. Sure, we did find a few recipes that have become family favorites, but otherwise, I can't eat another salad or more chicken/turkey.
  • bluebelltinkerbell
    bluebelltinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could go without fruit after 2pm and that is for starters. You could possibly end up in hospital suffering with dehydration and starvation mode if you went by this diet but if you eat properly you can lose the weight

please explain how you would go into starvation mode by eating????
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of comments on here from people who have obviously not looked into the actual diet. It is not just for 17 days. It is 4 cycles of 17 days. There is a cleansing section but basically it is teaching your body how to do without the processed crap food most people are use to having. This diet helped me to learn what I needed and didn't need. It may not be for everyone but there is nothing dangerous about this.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    all I will say is this ..

any diet that says you can't eat carbs after 2pm is designed by someone that has a PHD in Broscience, from the University of Brolandia...
  • slimer_kim
    slimer_kim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There are at least two reports in this thread of people getting ill from this "diet". As far as anecdotal evidence goes, it doesn't sound good.

Why not just, I don't know, eat at a deficit of calories and not bother with jumping through the hoops of fire?

Don't come in here with all your "logic", such things are not welcomed here :noway:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Interesting that all the posters who had great success with this diet are starting it again...

Tells me it doesn't work in the long run.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I did it after baby #5 and usually I am against these get skinny quick diets as I believe eat healthy and workout but I tried it and lost weight so fast it was kinda crazy but I have to say its low carb in beginning and a lot of water weight is what you lose first but if u stick with it u will have results. I no longer do diet to a T but use some stuff I have learned but its crazy to limit life to one way of eating just not liveable for me! I have kept weight off but workout a lot & eat healthy most of time. Reason people gain weight back is they go off and body reacts holds onto carbs for dare life lol, that's why I do not do low carb ever. Its a jump start diet for sure not life long!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Interesting that all the posters who had great success with this diet are starting it again...

You start back over if you start gaining weight or need a boost. Most everyone has those times when they need a little jumpstart. You can remain on Cycle 4. I am not saying it is for everyone. I have modified it myself to make it work better for my lifestyle. I am saying that people commenting on it being for only 17 days have not researched it enough to comment.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

You start back over if you start gaining weight or need a boost. Most everyone has those times when they need a little jumpstart. You can remain on Cycle 4. I am not saying it is for everyone. I have modified it myself to make it work better for my lifestyle. I am saying that people commenting on it being for only 17 days have not researched it enough to comment.

I have and read the book. It's not something I agree with, but to each their own.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 18? Does it involve gaining it all back?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

any diet that says you can't eat carbs after 2pm is designed by someone that has a PHD in Broscience, from the University of Brolandia...

This.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options

I have and read the book. It's not something I agree with, but to each their own.

agreed!
  • JaymeQ
    JaymeQ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For all the people that say this "diet" is BS, I disagree. Some people need the strict schedule to help them get started into a "healthy lifestyle" of eating. This "diet" does just that! I myself, need strict programs like this to help me get into the routine. Otherwise I screw up royally :-) I am starting this tomorrow!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Considering what the word "fad" really means, yeah, this is a fad diet.

There's no shame in taking a little advice from the book to incorporate into your new lifestyle, but the loss is not from the food you're eating...it's the lack of food, or caloric deficit.

Simple.
    interesting considering I did it lost 28lbs and have kept it off due to this "fad". That was 7months ago. There is no lack of food in this diet I was not hungry ever. I still follow phase 2 loosely but it has a maintenance phase I just don't feel like doing 40 mins of cardio everyday nor do I have the time.

And it's hard to create a lifestyle without some structure to start it and this gives you the structure.

She's not saying that you can't lose weight on a fad diet, but it is hard to argue against this being a "fad" based on:

- Severe limitations of types of food, including healthy foods (only fish and poultry for protein? There are plenty of lean meats out there that dietitians everywhere support as part of a weight-loss eating plan. Don't even get me started on the fruits that are not allowed because of their sugar content. And where are the nuts??)
    - No fruit or grain after 2 (it has been proven time and time again that this really is an unnecessary restriction. Actually, where are the grains in the first wave at all?)
    - Requiring green tea with every meal
    - 17 minutes of exercise (What is with this random number?)

I do appreciate that it doesn't give you a ridiculously low number of calories that you have to stick to, but it also doesn't really seem to offer much structure with the protein. You could easily down enough salmon and chicken to gain weight if you're not paying attention to how much you're taking in.

To be fair, I'm sure this method is very helpful to people who need this much structure in order to stick to a plan, but I promise you don't have to cut grains and meat out of your life in order to lose weight.

Congrats to all of you who have been successful with it. You clearly have a lot of willpower.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    For all the people that say this "diet" is BS, I disagree. Some people need the strict schedule to help them get started into a "healthy lifestyle" of eating. This "diet" does just that! I myself, need strict programs like this to help me get into the routine. Otherwise I screw up royally :-) I am starting this tomorrow!

This tells me you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I used to think that I had to eliminate trigger foods, but I just learned to eat smaller portions of them. Did it suck at first? Yes, but I still get to eat my favorite things. I won't eliminate food groups to lose weight because I know at some point I'll want them again. And I'll want them again at the quantity I used to eat them. Then I'll pack on the pounds because, with fads like these, I'll have never learned portion control by "eating as many egg whites as I want."

Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with eating a lot of protein, but the idea of "bad" food groups (carbs) is what I don't agree with.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

Don't knock my alma mater! I got my masters in Brologic (majored in Brochemistry with a minor in Broliterature) from U of Bro. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    Options

its really that hard to log calories and eat in a 500 cal deficit????

I mean, its not like we are asking someone to prove Einstein's theory of relativity here or something...