Starting Couch to 5k - want to join??

Options
nickiben
nickiben Posts: 117 Member
Hey!! Im starting the Couch to 5k programme tomorrow - anyone want to start too for some support?? New to this site so feel abit of a loser with no friends...:cry::smile:

Replies

• ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    OMG I was just talking about this yesterday with my boyfriend...I want to do the Susan G Komen 5K race next year...I am so determined to lose the weight and increase my exercise until I am able to compete...Is that what you are talking about? I am so envious and yet inspired by everyone on MFP who has accomplished this....I will do it!

Add me!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I have been tossing around the idea of starting a program like this. I just keep chickening out. I really don't feel like I can run. I will try to join you. As long as I don't talk myself out of it before tomorrow:wink:

My son runs cross country for high school (5K). I know I won't ever be able to keep up to him but if I could finish without being last by an hour or more:huh: They do hold one in my area in Sept. maybe I can be able to do it.

Add me as a friend if you like:smile:
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'll join you if you like, I started last Sunday so I'm still only on week 1. I've done 2 runs this week already and 3rd one will be on Sunday.
  • Manda_H
    Manda_H Posts: 80
    Options
    Yes! in fact I just signed up for my first 5K yesterday. My $20 is paid and therefore i am commited now! 99 days until my race day! feel free to add me as a friend cause i am not in shape or ready for a race at all! From my facebook computer chair to 5K is me
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I'm running Cancer Research 5K in May hence why I've started now.
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am super intimidated by this! But I really really really want to run. I used to do it years ago, then ended up nearly losing my foot to gangrene (after a bad break involving surgery) and was told I'd never run again.

I miss it soooo much but am afraid of the pain and possible re-injury. It''s been 7 years; I am strong and have healed, and I think I am capable of it. But fear has held me back.

This freaks me out, but I'm thinking it's time. Time to fight the inner demons and "go for it."
    Good luck everyone. :)
  • mkofalt
    mkofalt Posts: 1
    Options
    That is exactly what I did last Friday. Was looking for motivation, so I signed up for Flying Pig 10k. Paid the money so now I'm committed.
  • nickiben
    Options
    OMG I was just talking about this yesterday with my boyfriend...I want to do the Susan G Komen 5K race next year...I am so determined to lose the weight and increase my exercise until I am able to compete...Is that what you are talking about? I am so envious and yet inspired by everyone on MFP who has accomplished this....I will do it!

Add me!

Im just using the Couch to 5k app that someone suggested, just want to run 5k for the run of it to start with!!

Well we all seem to be scared by this, so Im sure we can all suceed!!!!
  • nickiben
    Options
    Hi. I am super intimidated by this! But I really really really want to run. I used to do it years ago, then ended up nearly losing my foot to gangrene (after a bad break involving surgery) and was told I'd never run again.

I miss it soooo much but am afraid of the pain and possible re-injury. It''s been 7 years; I am strong and have healed, and I think I am capable of it. But fear has held me back.

This freaks me out, but I'm thinking it's time. Time to fight the inner demons and "go for it."
    Good luck everyone. :)

You sound so brave and inspirational!!! But from what Ive seen of the plan, it starts you off really slowly, so you can try and see how you feel? Jillian Michaels said on her podcast that fear can hold us back, buit trying and achieving is the best feeling in the world!!!
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will join you! I'm trying to join a local group (Santa Rosa, CA) and their first run is tomorrow but I missed their info meeting because of being sick all week so now have to wait and see if i'm allowed to join. If not, I'll do it on my own!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am up to 2.0 miles and have just started running it everyday. I would like to be in. What di i need to do?
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I was just looking into Couch to 5k today! I think I do want to join :)
  • nickiben
    Options
    There is a Couch to 5k app you can download, or follow the programme on the website. Then we can keep encouraging each other on here. For me, if I think everyone else is doing it then I wont give up!! Feel free to add me as a friend - we can keep each other motivated!!!
  • mluersen
    mluersen Posts: 1
    Options
    I am interested. I have the app as well, but found problems with it starting over from the beginning after it had already started, but I'd like to try it again.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I will join! I have NEVER liked running, but have started this past week and love it. Right now I am kind of following the couch to 5K prgram but not entirely. I am running 45 seconds every 1 1/2 minutes. Sometimes I will run 60-90 second sprints if I am feeling up to it though. So I think I am on my way! What do I need to do to join with you?
  • nickiben
    Options
    I will join! I have NEVER liked running, but have started this past week and love it. Right now I am kind of following the couch to 5K prgram but not entirely. I am running 45 seconds every 1 1/2 minutes. Sometimes I will run 60-90 second sprints if I am feeling up to it though. So I think I am on my way! What do I need to do to join with you?

So if we all start from the beginning of the programme tomorrow, then keep updating each other on here. Lets see how we get on!! Im in UK, so will maybe one of the first people tomorrow??? I feel nervous!!!!
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yikes- I'm nervous too! I'm sure I could find a plethora of excuses to bail on you all. But I really want this....
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I tried it the other day and could only do 15 of the 30 minutes but I am gonna try again in a few weeks when I have hopefully dropped a few more pounds... it is a goal that I have set though. I want to be able to accomplish it before the end of June, since it is a 9 week training I think that is a reasonable goal!
  • Srobe
    Srobe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need some help. I want to join. I definitely want to do a 5 k but I am older so I don't know how well I will do.:smile:
  • Caroline9252
    Options
    I love this app!!! The couch to 5K app is great! I use it all the time. I just did a 5K on the treadmill in 33 MIN - and I am thanking this app!!!! Its great! I would love to join! I want to keep doing it so I can get faster. FUN!!!! ;)