Starting Couch to 5k - want to join??

Options

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I finished week 3 yesterday. I'm actually more worried about week 4 than 5 for some reason.
  • wthornton0206
    Options
    Sure, I'll join. Running is the form of exercise I'm most familiar with as I ran 3 miles in 15 minutes in high school EVERY DAY. Since then, I've gotten kind of lazy, but I want to get back into shape. Count me in!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I finished week 3 yesterday. I'm actually more worried about week 4 than 5 for some reason.

Week 4 was ok, I'm worried about week 5 - you go from 5mins to 8mins to 20mins I think. eeeek.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Alright, so even though I have only finished Week 3, I ran my first 5K today. I'll put up my official time as soon as its posted.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Week 4 was ok, I'm worried about week 5 - you go from 5mins to 8mins to 20mins I think. eeeek.

The twenty minutes is not bad if you have done the previous weeks and if you did day one and two. Week six day three is 25 minutes. I just finished it and both of them worried me some but was able to do them. In fact I got the 3.2 miles or 5k in the time of the podcast. As Ollery says, you can do it.
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    I'm glad you said that. I did week 5 day 1 today and it was fine. 3 x 5 mins - I'm not getting knackered or stitch which is great, but my shins hurt a smidge.

2 x 8 mins on Wednesday.

So you managed to run 5k in less than 30 mins. That's good as that is my aim in May.

Panda-Jack - well done. How did you do?
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    W4D1 yesterday. I think I may be repeating week 4. Or maybe it was just the Monday blues but I did NOT enjoy it!
    And I too am patiently awaiting Panda-Jack's results...
  • tbwife1
    tbwife1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've heard about this from a friend, and was wondering exactly what a starting couch to 5K run is..could you tell me more about it? I saw the guys at the gym running, and I was envying them, thinking,"I wanna run like that!" I've gone from 227lbs, to 179lbs, and already hit the treadmill at 3.5-4.3 miles per hour for about 30 minutes at a clip..I'm looking for another level to push myself towards.Tell me more!
  • soon2bmrsc
    Options
    I am a little late with this thread, but I would LOVE to join!! I need something to motivate me to start running regularly. What do I need to do?
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No still getting them - I think its because I'm running every other day they don't get a chance to heal really.

What are you using?

I nearly lost my foot in 2002 to gangrene (crushed my heel- orthopedic surgeons operated, placed it in a cast, the rest is history) So after 6 major operations, I've managed to salvage what was good of my foot, but have lots of plastic and metals in it. Since it's distorted from it's natural state, I get blisters all the time (even on a normal day- let alone RUNNING!)

So, I use this almost every day; it's called moleskin. You can buy it from any drugstore. Cheap= $3.00!

Basically, it's smooth like velvet, and is a sheet of bangage looking stuff. You can use it two ways:

If you have a blister, cut a section from the sheet that you want to put around your blister. (I cut a 1x1 inch piece). Now, cut a hole the size of your blister in the middle of that piece, then place on your foot. The hole means your blister doesn't receive friction during your exercise.

To prevent blisters: Place a piece in the area you commonly get blisters.

I have been using this faithfull since I took up running and haven't had a blister since. IT WoRKS MIRACLES!!!!!
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Thanks WP - I haven't heard of that - I'll have to ask at the chemist if its called the same thing over here. Sounds like good stuff though.

Well done for keeping up running with all your foot problems. That must take real commitment as you could have just thought "sod it, I'm injured."
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    I am a little late with this thread, but I would LOVE to join!! I need something to motivate me to start running regularly. What do I need to do?

Couch to 5k - is a program you follow when you start running and aims to get you running continuously for 30 minutes or 5K (however fast your run) - its based on interval training - so firstly running a minute walking a minute and over 9 weeks it increases your fitness as you increase the time running.

I am doing week 5 this week and today - day 2 - was walk 5 mins, run 8 mins, walk 5 mins, run 8 mins, cool down. It was ok although the last minute of the last run felt like an hour but I did it.

There are loads of websites that do it - If you are in the UK the NHS do it on their website and I'd suggest using the podcasts as 'Laura' tells you when to walk/run/warm up etc and she gives you tips as you go along. It has music suitable for which part of the program you are doing. The music isn't what I'd normally listen to but its varied and ok really.

If you aren't in the UK - google C25K or couch to 5K and I'm sure there are plenty of other websites that will do the podcasts as well.

Good luck.
  • Panda_Jack
    Options
    Sorry I haven't checked in yet. My first 5K 34:18. :smile:

Also completed W4 D1 on Monday and it was brutal. This is the first week I've struggled with finishing the jog portions but I'm thinking it may have been because I was still sore from the 5K on Sunday. I've got day 2 today so I'll let you know how that goes.
  • Eviesmum
    Options

Also completed W4 D1 on Monday and it was brutal. This is the first week I've struggled with finishing the jog portions but I'm thinking it may have been because I was still sore from the 5K on Sunday. I've got day 2 today so I'll let you know how that goes.

Well done PJ - that's a great time seen as though you haven't even finished the training program yet.

I agree with you about your W4D1 issues, if you did it on Monday then you were probably still recovering from your race. I looked at your profile and you've booked in to do lots of races haven't you - great motivation to keep running. :smile: Well done.

I did Week 5 Day 2 today and its 2 x 8 mins - It was ok apart from the last minute or so (that felt like forever :laugh:) but I managed it - still really nervous about W5 D3 :sad:

Hope everyone else is getting on ok. :flowerforyou:
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Way to go!!!
    I am struggling with W4 and I didn't run a race last weekend! Today was W4D2 and I had a tough time. Think I may be repeating this week, we'll see what happens on Saturday...
  • Panda_Jack
    Options
    Way to go!!!
    I am struggling with W4 and I didn't run a race last weekend! Today was W4D2 and I had a tough time. Think I may be repeating this week, we'll see what happens on Saturday...

W4 D2 - yeesh worse than D1. Finished the first half, but ran out of gas on the third and fourth jog portions and just couldn't finish. Looks Like I'll be repeating this week.
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Holy crap - I've just done week 5 day 3 and I RAN for 20 minutes non stop. I can't believe it.

I was shocked when 'Laura' said I'd only got 2 minutes left.

Roll on week 6.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

:bigsmile:
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm also late to this thread. I just signed up for 5k june 4. Gives me 2 months to get some legs. I've been running on treadmill past 4 months, but believe thats completely different than the real thing. Want to surprise my daughter and tell her I entered us in the father daughter team competition. She is on high school cross country and track team. She can run it in 21 minutes. Winning combined time last year was 50 minutes, so I am going to try and get in shape and do my part by running under 30 minutes. Wanted to run today, but it was raining. Snow predicted tomorrow. excuses excuses.
    I figure April 1 is as good a day as any to begin.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    Did I mention I hate running
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that may have to repeat week 4. I think I'm doing it at the wrong time of day. I was doing it in the evening and on an off-day, I decided to see how long I could run without stopping. I managed to go for 15 minutes. Lately I've been doing it in the morning and I'm really struggling with it.