C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 2

Options

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Did W2D3 today and everything went very well! :bigsmile:

Felt like I could have done some more, but I don't want to push it and get injured so early on. :wink:

So I think W2D2 was rough for me because I didn't give myself enough time to recover after the Pilates workout, as my calves were very cooperative today. :wink:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    W2 D2 was good. I did it today, and it feels like forever ago! It was much much better than the last run!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    W3D1 today.

Screaming calves again! :grumble: :mad:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why. :sad: I really thought that my breathing was thing that was going to be tough--not my calves. But I'm chugging along breathing just fine.

Maybe I need to warm up longer. Guess I'll try that on Tuesday and see if that helps.

Oh, AND, my C25K app decided to stop halfway through. So I restarted it and just ran intervals until it got through the warmup and then did the whole thing. So I did today's program 1 and a half times. :embarassed: Didn't really see any other option though.
  • christmasbow
    Options

My HR has always been around 170/180 when I run and I've never been able to figure out how bad that is. I can still breathe okay, though I probably wouldn't be able to have a conversation like they say you should be able to. I know it's close to if not a bit over my max HR, hmmmmm.

To get your maximum heart rate you should be able to subtract your age from 220. I'm 53 so my maximum heart rate is 167.
  • christmasbow
    Options
    I did W2D2 today and it felt pretty bad. I don't really know why cause when I did W2D1, it felt fine. If W2D3 feels this bad, I'll repeat week 2. It felt like I had a bowling ball attached to my rear!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I did W2D2 today and it felt pretty bad. I don't really know why cause when I did W2D1, it felt fine. If W2D3 feels this bad, I'll repeat week 2. It felt like I had a bowling ball attached to my rear!

Sorry it was rough today, but good for you for sticking with it!

Sometimes it's something really simple, like being mildly dehydrated, or not having rested those muscles enough since the last workout, not enough warmup, etc.

If it's any consolation, mine was an absolute grind today as well. But we did it!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm doing runnersworld.com's beginner runner training program - similar to c25k, but 30 minutes each day.

I'll be starting week 3 Sunday morning, and giving my new Merrell Training Glove shoes (barefoot style running shoe) another go. Really loved them the first time I used them last week.

At this point, I have been working out for over two months, so the running doesn't seem to be overly taxing...but I'm still building up slowly as is recommended everywhere. My biggest problem is trying to keep my heart rate lower when I'm running. I slowed my pace quite a bit last time to make sure my heart rate didm't get too high. Worked fine, but the pace sure did seem slow. Ran on a treadmill last week (first time ever on a treadmill), and I ran/walked for a full 5k. I would have preferred to run more, but my heart rate kept hitting 160 when I ran, so I would go back to walking and take it easier.

I wish we had a track around here - the neighborhoods are ok, but the concrete/asphalt is tough, and the grassy areas are very uneven ground.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I ran W2 D3 today. D1 was the hardest, D2 was reasonably easier, and today was the best and fastest. Looking forward to W3, but also kind of (really) scared.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I am finishing week 1 tomorrow! Does anyone know good stretches to advoid that stitch in your side? I have such a hard time with it
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I am finishing week 1 tomorrow! Does anyone know good stretches to advoid that stitch in your side? I have such a hard time with it
    I've been getting that too. I'll let you know if I find anything. I know I have an old book that talks about what to do, but I haven't read it in so long. I'll share what it says when I get to it! One thing I read, was to "breathe on the opposite foot". When we run, we tend to inhale on the same foot, so the idea is that if you switch the foot that you inhale on, then that might relieve the pain. I'll get back to you.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Saw this link about side stiches in another running thread:

http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/f/sidestitch.htm

I restarted C25K this week and did day 1 on Thursday and the whole way through I felt like I was full of lead. It just took so much effort to MOVE. I really thought it would be easier since I now have an inhaler for exercise induced asthma. Using the inhaler is helping when I do 30 Day Shred so much that I thought running would be easier, too. Heck, it was way harder than it was the very first time I tried week 1 and that was a couple of weeks ago. Certainly I'm in better shape now than I was then... I'll be back at it today, though and I'm hoping it goes better...
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    Well, I did W1D2 today and everything was soooo much better. Remembered to use the inhaler, ate half a banana and a cheese stick and two glasses of water 45 minutes before heading out and felt fantastic ! I actually ran an extra interval just because I felt like it. I'm going to try to make sure to eat something before hand every time. I generally run after work and before dinner, so I'll have a snack before leaving work...

I'm actually looking forward to the next run - and that's unbelievable ! :laugh:
  • kbg1
    kbg1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Stick with this program. I did and moved on to the Bridge210k program. They have a FB page and you can download their podcasts from there! Just finished that program and can now run 60 minutes straight!! Some runs are better than others! I am now looking into finding another program for a 10mile goal. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear about them. Good luck with c25k!
  • kbg1
    kbg1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I get that on occasion too. I read somewhere that it is your organs rubbing together. Not sure about that. But it did say to alter your breathing pattern to try and alleviate it and also to put pressure on the area. Hope it helps.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Heck, it was way harder than it was the very first time I tried week 1 and that was a couple of weeks ago. Certainly I'm in better shape now than I was then... I'll be back at it today, though and I'm hoping it goes better...
    Thanks for the link! It's difficult to get into running if you haven't done it for a while (or ever!). W2 D1 was especially difficult for me, but I got through it, and so will you! See... You're already showing off with an extra interval! My lungs BURN when I run, and I am usually coughing, and it feels like a tickle in my throat for hours afterward, when I finish a run.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Hey there! I am doing the C25K and am starting Week 3 tomorrow. I got fitted for my first pair of official running shoes at the advice of this site. I am excited to get to try them out tomorrow. I walked around in them a lot today to get the feel for them.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    I got fitted for my first pair of official running shoes at the advice of this site. I am excited to get to try them out tomorrow. I walked around in them a lot today to get the feel for them.

Oohhhh... I want new shoes, too. I have a friend who's a serious runner and I think I'm going to ask her to take me shoe shopping!

Good luck with your new shoes and let us know how they felt!
  • meganmorrison25
    Options
    I completed the C25K about a year ago! GREAT program!!! Once I join a gym again and have a running track, I might start it up again! Good luck to everyone!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3 DONE!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: I even ran an extra minute at the end. :bigsmile: Feeling great, ready for week 4!!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3 DONE!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: I even ran an extra minute at the end. :bigsmile: Feeling great, ready for week 4!!

WOOHOO! :bigsmile:

Did W3D2 today and it went pretty well. My calves and I are still not friends, but we are at least on speaking terms now. :laugh: I was absolutely shocked when i got the cooldown chime, as I still felt pretty good!