C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 2

Options

Replies

• lbfrueh
    lbfrueh Posts: 87
    Options
    This sounds like something I'd enjoy. Can someone give me how it works or what consists of each week?
  • lbfrueh
    lbfrueh Posts: 87
    Options
    Actually, I googled it and found the information. Glad I found this forum topic. This program and all of your success stories are a great motivation!
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    I got fitted for my first pair of official running shoes at the advice of this site. I am excited to get to try them out tomorrow. I walked around in them a lot today to get the feel for them.

Oohhhh... I want new shoes, too. I have a friend who's a serious runner and I think I'm going to ask her to take me shoe shopping!

Good luck with your new shoes and let us know how they felt!

Thanks! I actually tried them out today! I did W3D1. What a difference good shoes make... I hope that you get some too.. You will love them!
  • lisa_ace
    lisa_ace Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I know these are mostly week 2 and week 3 posts, but I started Day 1 of Week 1 TODAY!! I can't believe how fast the time went by. I'm really excited about doing the program. I even want to do Day 2 tomorrow, but will take the advice of the program and put a day in between runs. I also downloaded the C25K app on my phone and I LOVE IT!! It makes it so easy to know when to switch from walking to jogging/running. I am completely out of shape, so i'm really hoping that this program will help me out.

Me and my friend also just joined this website today and so far i'm loving it. So many people with the same goals. Please feel free to add me as your friend, would love to hear about everyone's progress and success stories!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My W3 D1 run yesterday was good. No real issues, but my ankle was a little sore so I put ice on it. Then, when I woke up this morning, I was in total pain (I could walk and everything, but it was just annoying and really sore). I don't think I'm gonna run tomorrow (and I'm glad about that because it's gonna be 19 degrees F outside!!), and maybe even not the day after that... I think it was due to improper form (because I got sloppy from the tiring 3 min runs), and possibly because of Zumba on Monday, cause I remember my ankle hurting a little then too. Happy (pain-free) running everyone!! :drinker:
    I also downloaded the C25K app on my phone and I LOVE IT!! It makes it so easy to know when to switch from walking to jogging/running. I am completely out of shape, so i'm really hoping that this program will help me out.
    I KNOW! I love running while listening to an mp3 of the program! It's so convenient! I thought I was gonna have to make one myself until I found some great ones for my iPod!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 DONE!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: I can't believe I ran (well, jogged) 5 minute intervals!! My calves are hurting already. I'm probably gonna pay the next few days. :tongue: Oh well, it was worth it. Next run for me will be Saturday afternoon, should be enough time to recover.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How did your breathing and chest feel Kath? I just did wk4d1 and it was killer. I really had to mentally push myself. My legs hurt but more I felt so puffed and like I was going to have a heart attack. :laugh:
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I also started on week 2 just yesterday. I'm so excited! :smile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    How did your breathing and chest feel Kath? I just did wk4d1 and it was killer. I really had to mentally push myself. My legs hurt but more I felt so puffed and like I was going to have a heart attack. :laugh:

My breathing and chest felt o.k. I'm really taking it very slow. My jog is just a 1/2 mph faster than my walk. :tongue: I'd rather take it slow and be able to complete the intervals than to try to push the speed too soon. Everyone seems to say you can always increase your speed once you complete the intervals.

I did have a nasty cramp in my stomach, though. Not sure if it was dinner, or just a cramp. It eventually went away after the first couple of intervals.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I did have a nasty cramp in my stomach, though. Not sure if it was dinner, or just a cramp. It eventually went away after the first couple of intervals.
    I get cramps whether I do or don't eat before I run. I think it has a lot more to do with my breathing.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Thanks! I actually tried them out today! I did W3D1. What a difference good shoes make... I hope that you get some too.. You will love them!

Hmmm... I might have to get shoes sooner than I thought. My sneakers I'm wearing to run are more than one year old !

Week 1 is in the bag and I realized that the first day I had been letting my dog set the pace, which was TOO FAST for me. So I 've been making her slow down and boy is everything easier :love: I have one part of me that hurts when running. The back of my leg between my calf and my ankle gets sooo tight that I stop once or twice to stretch it out during a walking segment.

I'm starting Week 2 after work and am really excited to get out there.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Get the Shoes Bif. I am so glad. I did Wk3 D2 today and was great! I am wondering if it is ok to do this almost everyday. I love this training. I just don't want to over do it.....
    Have Fun!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 was completed last night. And it was great and I'm actually looking forward to running tomorrow. This is sooooo unlike me!

Jenyfur1 - (love the name - and I see furry things in your ticker - what kind of dog do those feet belong to?) I think I'll go this weekend looking for shoes. Thanks for the advice and push :flowerforyou:
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I still haven't done my W3 D2 run. I was thinking to do it today, but it's still -13 degrees out (8.6 F) and I refuse to run in it!! It's getting up to 5 (41 F) again in a couple days, so I will run then, and give my ankle a little more time to feel better.
    _________
    I'm starting Week 2 after work and am really excited to get out there.
    Good luck!! :drinker: That's kind of funny that the dog was making you really run!
    I am wondering if it is ok to do this almost everyday. I love this training. I just don't want to over do it.....
    If you are running PERFECTLY with good form and you aren't feeling any pain, then I think everyday would be fine. Still, I've always heard that you shouldn't stick to just one form of exercise like that. Especially running, because it is a higher risk for injury. I personally wouldn't push it more that 3-4 days per week.
  • christmasbow
    Options
    Started on a new project at work, so haven't been on. Even though I was tired after work, I managed to do w2d3 on Tuesday and it seemed to help with the stress of work!! Then last night I did W3D1. I've noticed since starting on Week 2 my legs hurt from right above my ankles in the front to mid-way up my calves, even though I stretch before and after. Does anyone have any specific stretches for that area? Could this be just because I've started back on the C25K program? It does not bother me when I am not on the treadmill though, so that is a good thing.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Started on a new project at work, so haven't been on. Even though I was tired after work, I managed to do w2d3 on Tuesday and it seemed to help with the stress of work!! Then last night I did W3D1. I've noticed since starting on Week 2 my legs hurt from right above my ankles in the front to mid-way up my calves, even though I stretch before and after. Does anyone have any specific stretches for that area? Could this be just because I've started back on the C25K program? It does not bother me when I am not on the treadmill though, so that is a good thing.

I've historically had problems with my shins, too. I'm just about to start week 6, and after each run, I have some tenderness right where you describe. however, it goes away in a day... so it's not still sore as I'm getting ready for my next run on the program.

My understanding is that a number of things happen in the process of strengthening your lower legs, so that you don't get hurt. Your muscles improve, and that takes care of some of the problem. But, your bones strengthen, too -- and supposedly, that takes a little while! So, hang in there, and stay confident -- your body is already starting the process of getting stronger from your workouts, and it should be able to handle this, too!

Good luck!!!
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 was completed last night. And it was great and I'm actually looking forward to running tomorrow. This is sooooo unlike me!

Jenyfur1 - (love the name - and I see furry things in your ticker - what kind of dog do those feet belong to?) I think I'll go this weekend looking for shoes. Thanks for the advice and push :flowerforyou:

Thanks Bif! The feet belong to my, recently passed Great Dane, Lillian , her sister, Fiona is clomplng her on her tail while she is trying to eat her dinner..

I ran W3D3 today and was really good. I ran for a few more minutes after the walk before the cool down because I felt really good and then cooled down... Week 6 looks scarey! Oh My... I hope I am ready for the long runs by then.
    I hope you get your shoes Bif.
    Steph, I can't blame you. Is there a Y or something like that you can pay for one day or a 2 week pass so that you can use a treadmill??
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Steph, I can't blame you. Is there a Y or something like that you can pay for one day or a 2 week pass so that you can use a treadmill??
    Jenyfur... I wouldn't pay for another gym pass. That turned out badly last time, and I'm not into public exercise. Besides, I have a treadmill, but it's in storage. The guy downstairs kept banging on the ceiling when I would run, because it's so clunky. :laugh: I'll be find waiting a couple more days for the nice weather.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Gotcha! We had snow in VA.... Craziness I tell ya! I hope it is pretty soon. Good luck. I start Wk4D1 tomorrow...:)
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    WOW! Wk 4 D 1.. It was a little harder than I thought it would be. I feel like I have accomplished something. I was just going to sit on the couch feeling sorry for myself that I went over my calories and pout... Then I thought I would just walk... So while walking, I thought, Hmmm , you are here so you can just do this... WOW! I am glad that I did... I feel much better now.... No more pouting.... I am no longer stuffed and over my calories!