The most common mistake women make!

Options
Ok people I decided to write this one for the women as they seem to make this mistake all to often as well as some men, but more so the women.
1) When they join regardless of how much they weigh or their stats they instantly go for that golden 1200 cal/day minimum.
2) They workout as much as possible and eat as little as possible.
3) They totally starve the body for fuel and nutrition this way and either have 0 weight loss or have a great start until the body adapts and then stops them dead in their tracks.

Now I know what you are thinking, less in + more out = greater fat loss and to some extent that is true until you factor in the bigger picture here. I also know that there are the naysayers who have lost lots of weight doing just that, well here is a news flash for those women I bet you may have lost fat but the bulk of what you lost is the muscle girls, slowing the metabolic rate down to a snails pace. Now I can sit here and preach all day long about diet and advice but I am not going to do so in this post, short and sweet I will give you the condensed version in an analogy that is deadly accurate and gives you a crystal clear overall picture.

Think of it like driving a car, you have a limited amount of gas before the car starts to break down. The calories or fuel that mfp gives you will get you to your destination driving at 80 mph. Now think of exercise as getting you there at 120 mph but not stopping for fuel means that the tires get worn down faster, the car will break down easier and in the end will explode. The body is the car, the calories are the fuel, the tires are your muscle without proper fuel they break down and in the end the body feeds off itself. The point of the exercise is to increase the metabolic rate (the speed at which you can safely drive) not to burn off the fuel (calories).

Cardio burns fuel off in the short term, weight training raises the overall metabolic rate and increases your fat loss but neither will do you any good if you are not fueling the body right. All that hard work, sweat, tears in the mirror when you are not seeing results are because you are your own worst enemy. Work with your body and not against it. You can choose to be a prius or a "insert fav exotic or muscle car here", does not matter which, but the "fav exotic or muscle car" is a lot more fun and that is the one who feeds their body right and rips down the road of fat loss blowing right by you like you are standing still.

Replies

• writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post and very well said / explained!
    I must admit I do like to eat, so I am not one of these exercise-to-the-max-and-eat-very-little woman, however, it's still great to have a wee reminder we do need to fuel our bodies to get the best from them!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Well said!
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So true!! Thanks for sharing!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    When i read some of your topics yesterday, i thought you sounded like you had some good advice , now i'm not so sure !

YOU have just offended 90% of the female population on this site!

For starts "The most common mistake women make" Just as many men, work out to hard and eat to little..

secondly we are not GUYS!

Your welcome to look at my diary , i don't starve myself..

I go to body pump twice a week , i know i don't do cardio , but i think i should do some...

Please if you are going to write post , for or about women , speak to some first!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Nice job on the message, makes you think if we are doing it right.
    For me 1200 calories is too low. I started that way and I was
    starving. So I upped the calories and started losing.
    Thanks for this thread, food for thought.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    YES! I think it's also important for everyone to be taking measurements along with weighing ourselves. It helps keep things in perspective. For example, I was thrilled about my recent weight loss, but was concerned that it might be coming off too fast. When I took measurements today, sure enough, I'm down a lot of pounds but hardly anything in inches, which leads me to believe that I've been losing muscle instead of fat. So now I'm changing my strategy for this week to see if I can preserve the muscle I have and burn fat instead. It's not always about losing the pounds as fast as possible -- it's about doing so in a healthy way so you can end up looking and feeling GREAT instead of just being "skinny."
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    If you go offended then I am sorry, you took it personally and it was not intended as an attack it was intended to be an eye opener, which usually means that you are or have made these mistakes and are not ready to admit it.. I am not out to criticize or put anyone down I am out to educate people. What you should be offended by is society as a whole who through misinformation has done more harm to us as a whole.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The most common mistake women make.....told by a man:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

im just messing with ya:flowerforyou:
  • littlemuffin
    littlemuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for dumbing it down so all us females can finally understand how to lose weight! If only I had a penis, I would have know this already! God what was i thinking!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    wow thanks for dumbing it down so all us females can finally understand how to lose weight! If only I had a penis, I would have know this already! God what was i thinking!

that made me spit coffe everywhere :laugh: :laugh:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    For starts "The most common mistake women make" Just as many men, work out to hard and eat to little. - I did say men make it as well in the first bit but they do not make it as commonly as women do.

secondly we are not GUYS!- fixed this

Your welcome to look at my diary , i don't starve myself.-I did not say that you did.

Please if you are going to write post , for or about women , speak to some first!- I do
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I guess I'm in the 10% of women on this site NOT offended.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ok people I decided to write this one for the women as they seem to make this mistake all to often as well as some men, but more so the women.
    1) When they join regardless of how much they weigh or their stats they instantly go for that golden 1200 cal/day minimum.
    2) They workout as much as possible and eat as little as possible.
    3) They totally starve the body for fuel and nutrition this way and either have 0 weight loss or have a great start until the body adapts and then stops them dead in their tracks.

Now I know what you are thinking, less in + more out = greater fat loss and to some extent that is true until you factor in the bigger picture here. I also know that there are the naysayers who have lost lots of weight doing just that, well here is a news flash for those women I bet you may have lost fat but the bulk of what you lost is the muscle girls, slowing the metabolic rate down to a snails pace. Now I can sit here and preach all day long about diet and advice but I am not going to do so in this post, short and sweet I will give you the condensed version in an analogy that is deadly accurate and gives you a crystal clear overall picture.

Think of it like driving a car, you have a limited amount of gas before the car starts to break down. The calories or fuel that mfp gives you will get you to your destination driving at 80 mph. Now think of exercise as getting you there at 120 mph but not stopping for fuel means that the tires get worn down faster, the car will break down easier and in the end will explode. The body is the car, the calories are the fuel, the tires are your muscle without proper fuel they break down and in the end the body feeds off itself. The point of the exercise is to increase the metabolic rate (the speed at which you can safely drive) not to burn off the fuel (calories).

Cardio burns fuel off in the short term, weight training raises the overall metabolic rate and increases your fat loss but neither will do you any good if you are not fueling the body right. All that hard work, sweat, tears in the mirror when you are not seeing results are because you are your own worst enemy. Work with your body and not against it. You can choose to be a prius or a mustang, does not matter which, but the mustang is a lot more fun and that is the one who feeds their body right and rips down the road of fat loss blowing right by you like you are standing still.

If I have to be compared to a car I want to be a Ferrari! :laugh:
    Seriously very well said.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Although the post makes total common sense I am thinking there is a reason behind the post other than just as the title reads 'the most common mistake women make'
    Maybe the title should have read 'the most common mistakes PEOPLE make'

Thanks for the info but I agree, coming from a man about advice for women you looking for a fight man :wink:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why is it such a problem that this post was written by a man? I was thinking the exact same thing -- would you have been as offended if I had written the post as a woman? It's true. When men want to lose weight, many of them want to build muscle, so they go that route, where women just want to lose weight, period. Of course it's not true for ALL men and ALL women, but it is a noticeable trend. I notice a lot more of my female MFP friends working out too hard and not eating enough, where most of my male MFP friends are more balanced about it. It's not because they're smarter or anything, it's just because we have different viewpoints -- men want to be beefy and strong, where women want to look like slender supermodels without bulking up. So the men do strength training and eat more, and the women do cardio all day and eat less. It's pretty common around here.

Lay off the guy. He's not wrong.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I guess I'm in the 10% of women on this site NOT offended.

im not offended
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol, ferrari, it is then. I should put in "Insert fav exotic or muscle car here"
  • littlemuffin
    littlemuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Why is it such a problem that this post was written by a man? I was thinking the exact same thing -- would you have been as offended if I had written the post as a woman? It's true. When men want to lose weight, many of them want to build muscle, so they go that route, where women just want to lose weight, period. Of course it's not true for ALL men and ALL women, but it is a noticeable trend. I notice a lot more of my female MFP friends working out too hard and not eating enough, where most of my male MFP friends are more balanced about it. It's not because they're smarter or anything, it's just because we have different viewpoints -- men want to be beefy and strong, where women want to look like slender supermodels without bulking up. So the men do strength training and eat more, and the women do cardio all day and eat less. It's pretty common around here.

Lay off the guy. He's not wrong.

It's not the fact that it was written by a man, its that the post is so sexist. If a woman had written it I would have been just as offended. He has some good points its just a shame that its laced with sexist remarks!
This discussion has been closed.