The most common mistake women make!

Options

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Wow you apoligised and critisized at the same time. If you'd like to "educate the public" then get a degree in nutrition and become a certified trainer. On here you are just somebody else trying to make sense of what is right for you. Everybody is different.
    If you go offended then I am sorry, you took it personally and it was not intended as an attack it was intended to be an eye opener, which usually means that you are or have made these mistakes and are not ready to admit it.. I am not out to criticize or put anyone down I am out to educate people. What you should be offended by is society as a whole who through misinformation has done more harm to us as a whole.

Wow calm down, no one was criticized.

What started out as a thread of advice and ideas has now become an argument over nothing.
    Chill out ladies.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Ok people I decided to write this one for the women as they seem to make this mistake all to often as well as some men, but more so the women.
    1) When they join regardless of how much they weigh or their stats they instantly go for that golden 1200 cal/day minimum.
    2) They workout as much as possible and eat as little as possible.
    3) They totally starve the body for fuel and nutrition this way and either have 0 weight loss or have a great start until the body adapts and then stops them dead in their tracks.

Now I know what you are thinking, less in + more out = greater fat loss and to some extent that is true until you factor in the bigger picture here. I also know that there are the naysayers who have lost lots of weight doing just that, well here is a news flash for those women I bet you may have lost fat but the bulk of what you lost is the muscle girls, slowing the metabolic rate down to a snails pace. Now I can sit here and preach all day long about diet and advice but I am not going to do so in this post, short and sweet I will give you the condensed version in an analogy that is deadly accurate and gives you a crystal clear overall picture.

Think of it like driving a car, you have a limited amount of gas before the car starts to break down. The calories or fuel that mfp gives you will get you to your destination driving at 80 mph. Now think of exercise as getting you there at 120 mph but not stopping for fuel means that the tires get worn down faster, the car will break down easier and in the end will explode. The body is the car, the calories are the fuel, the tires are your muscle without proper fuel they break down and in the end the body feeds off itself. The point of the exercise is to increase the metabolic rate (the speed at which you can safely drive) not to burn off the fuel (calories).

Cardio burns fuel off in the short term, weight training raises the overall metabolic rate and increases your fat loss but neither will do you any good if you are not fueling the body right. All that hard work, sweat, tears in the mirror when you are not seeing results are because you are your own worst enemy. Work with your body and not against it. You can choose to be a prius or a "insert fav exotic or muscle car here", does not matter which, but the "fav exotic or muscle car" is a lot more fun and that is the one who feeds their body right and rips down the road of fat loss blowing right by you like you are standing still.

You've described me to a "T". I am not offended at all. I've heard this time and again...am sure there is much truth to it. Just have to get the courage to change it up. One key point you did miss, is the type of calories you take in - not all calories are created equal!!
    Lighten up people, he was trying to be helpful. Take it for what it's worth and leave the rest.

BTW...I want to be that sexy BMW, rag top convertible. :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I am baffled that anyone is offended by this. I saw nothing that a) isn't true and b) was in any way sexist or a stereotype. He is simply pointing out an issue that many women have. And the issue is seen among women FAR more than men. I wish people would stop looking for ill-intent where there is none and start accepting that women and men encounter different issues - especially with weight loss. We are built different and our bodies work different - and many have different perceptions of and attitudes toward health and body image and diet/exercise because of societal pressures and the way media works. Therefore, we have different stumbling blocks.

And I didn't see anywhere that he portrayed himself as an expert. And, frankly, just because he's on this website doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable about weight loss or nutrition and exercise. There are a lot of people here that have mountains of knowledge - and still struggle because it's not always easy to apply that knowledge to one's self. And I know a whole lot of people with degrees or certifications - that are still idiots. One doesn't need the title of "expert" to learn, gain knowledge, study, research, and attempt to help others. Personally, I take information I read or see and then research it for myself. I take it all with a grain of salt - but I listen and then try to learn more. And assuming that he doesn't know anything about issues women encounter because he's a man....well, isn't that sexist?

Anyway, good OP and very relevant info. Thanks for putting it out there (and enduring the unwarranted attacks.)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yes I admit that was left out but I did so on purpose, I have posted many many posts about the quality of the source of those 1200 cals but they seem to go unheeded for the most part and I get the 1200 cals is 1200 cals response from some. I used to follow that same idea until I switched to a clean eating diet a few months ago, and this time around it has been super easy for me to shed the fat. I advocate that same diet to many people on here as well as try to make sure that they learn the difference between good foods and bad foods (mainly carbs and fats).
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Well New if you are so informative then why when I asked for a good cardio suggestion you told me to run 2 miles on a 1 mile pier.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Well New if you are so informative then why when I asked for a good cardio suggestion you told me to run 2 miles on a 1 mile pier.
    self explanatory so you could swim the second mile lol.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

It definitly makes sense.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I don't start threads. Sheesh.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    When i read some of your topics yesterday, i thought you sounded like you had some good advice , now i'm not so sure !

YOU have just offended 90% of the female population on this site!

For starts "The most common mistake women make" Just as many men, work out to hard and eat to little..

secondly we are not GUYS!

Your welcome to look at my diary , i don't starve myself..

I go to body pump twice a week , i know i don't do cardio , but i think i should do some...

Please if you are going to write post , for or about women , speak to some first!
    If it doesn't even apply to you, why be offended? What a waste of energy. Maybe I just have a thicker skin but a lot of what was said in the original post is true. I've only been around the actual message boards since the beginning of January but I have seen a lot of what the original poster said. It's sad really.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol the idea was to stir the pot and get people talking, sometimes it takes that to get the point across, how it is received good or bad well that is up to the reader.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    It's sad really.
    yes it is sad.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    lol the idea was to stir the pot and get people talking, sometimes it takes that to get the point across, how it is received good or bad well that is up to the reader.

Well you're obviously nicer than I am.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think I would look rather good as a Bugatti Veyron.............
  • BlindFaith
    Options
    Good grief.

I'm a woman (last time I checked anyway) and I'm far from offended by Newfiedan's topic here.

In fact (and I've said this directly to him as well), I've taken it on board and instead of going nuts with the restricting and the punishing myself from going over what was a low calorie goal for the day; I'm relaxing and realizing that my body actually NEEDS more to keep running.

Personally, I'd like to say thanks to Newfiedan for the post and for another one that was made (with Michi's Ladder - loved that!) because they've opened my eyes a little bit and taking that and some of my research I've created my own plan, my own eating regime that I'm hoping will gain me some positive results without losing and gaining the same 7-10lbs.

I saw NOTHING sexist, condescending or patronizing in his post.
    What I did see was helpful comments that highlighted common mistakes that are made and how to avoid making them and falling into the trap of losing, gaining, losing, gaining, giving up.

To be honest, I was more offended by the sarcastic comments; the snide remarks and catty attitudes.
    I thought this site was created for people to help, advise and support - not to ***** and snipe when help and advice is offered.

Just my personal opinion and 2 cents, of course.
    :happy:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I would add is making the weekly weight loss goal 2 pounds a week when realistically it should be 1. This goes for men too...especially if you're only trying to lose 10-15 pounds. If you have a small amount of weight to lose you should not do it with large calorie deficits.

On a side note this post is not sexist. The guy was trying to help and has been shot down for no reason at all. This is the reason chivalry is dead people. I opened a door for a woman one day who went on to tell me thank God a big strong man was there to open it because she must have been too weak to do it. Sometimes we just can't win.

As a woman I want to SMACK women like that. :angry: I love when men open doors! It is a sweet thing.

Great advice New. I didn't take offense. It is very true. There is no way I can survive off of 1200 calories. :noway:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I found nothing wrong with the original post....it's pretty much what I say to my clients & friends that come to me for advice. So count me in the 10% of women not offended by this post either :laugh:
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later...
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As a woman I want to SMACK women like that. :angry: I love when men open doors! It is a sweet thing.

Lol...she was this little old lady too...I was in shock. I thought to myself...little old ladies are supposed to be sweet, gracious and friendly. Oh well I still hold the door open for women.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The most common mistake women make.....told by a man:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

im just messing with ya:flowerforyou:

Aint it always the way us poor girls don't know how to do anything:laugh:
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am not offended either. Can we get over the delivery and listen to the message? I think it is a good post and worth reading. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.