The most common mistake women make!

Options

Replies

• daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Although the post makes total common sense I am thinking there is a reason behind the post other than just as the title reads 'the most common mistake women make'
    Maybe the title should have read 'the most common mistakes PEOPLE make'

Thanks for the info but I agree, coming from a man about advice for women you looking for a fight man :wink:

Yeah, good info but totally offensive title!! You really shouldn't have aimed it towards all women...... ouch! We're not all like that thank you very much.

He didn't say "mistake most women make." He said "most common mistake women make" ... which means that IF they make a mistake (which we men all know is rarely) that this is the one that would come up.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a man and I find this to be poorly worded and yes offensive to go out of your way for no apparent reason to single out women! If you disagree that is fine but it makes your comments no less offensive. It's just too bad you do not seem willing to concede that point.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Im not offended! I do weight loss the correct way and aim for 1-2lbs a week with healthy eating and excecise. Yes I eat 1200 calories a day but that is what is recommended for me.

So count me in the 10% lol
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    Seriously? I am baffled that anyone is offended by this. I saw nothing that a) isn't true and b) was in any way sexist or a stereotype. He is simply pointing out an issue that many women have. And the issue is seen among women FAR more than men. I wish people would stop looking for ill-intent where there is none and start accepting that women and men encounter different issues - especially with weight loss. We are built different and our bodies work different - and many have different perceptions of and attitudes toward health and body image and diet/exercise because of societal pressures and the way media works. Therefore, we have different stumbling blocks.

And I didn't see anywhere that he portrayed himself as an expert. And, frankly, just because he's on this website doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable about weight loss or nutrition and exercise. There are a lot of people here that have mountains of knowledge - and still struggle because it's not always easy to apply that knowledge to one's self. And I know a whole lot of people with degrees or certifications - that are still idiots. One doesn't need the title of "expert" to learn, gain knowledge, study, research, and attempt to help others. Personally, I take information I read or see and then research it for myself. I take it all with a grain of salt - but I listen and then try to learn more. And assuming that he doesn't know anything about issues women encounter because he's a man....well, isn't that sexist?

Anyway, good OP and very relevant info. Thanks for putting it out there (and enduring the unwarranted attacks.)

Very well said. And I've seen post and replies ruder (not that I think it's rude) than this.
  • Taras630
    Taras630 Posts: 85
    Options
    Love the post. I think it was very well said. Why in the world would anyone be offended??
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lol, keep the comments coming I am loving it.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    **waving hands*** Not offended :flowerforyou:

Must be a New Moon or PMS :indifferent: :laugh:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I'm a man and I find this to be poorly worded and yes offensive to go out of your way for no apparent reason to single out women! If you disagree that is fine but it makes your comments no less offensive. It's just too bad you do not seem willing to concede that point.
    we are all entitled to our opinions, I did concede that I could have worded the title a little better but it does not take away the validity of the statement.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm loving your posts lately, Dan, even if you do come equipped with a penis. :drinker:
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I have to admit that I find it amusing how some read things a certain way and how others read it. It just goes to show you how different our interpretations are on things that are put to words.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I'm loving your posts lately, Dan, even if you do come equipped with a penis. :drinker:
    lol thanks you made me choke on my coffee.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I read your post wrong but I'm finding it hard to eat my normal calories let alone eat back my exercise calories as well.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat at most 1200 calories per day. My goal is set at 1050, because I'm sure I undercalculate certain things I eat. Then when I work out, I list exactly what my HRM reads as my caloric burn without taking into consideration what my body would have burnt regardless of me working out or not. However, I'm 114 soaking wet. My goal is only .5lb per week with my goal weight being 108, which is in the middle of my healthy BMI range (92-123lbs). So 1200 calories for me is definitely not starving and I always eat back my exercise calories. People are too general on this site and often too willing to give unsolicited advice.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I don't know if I read your post wrong but I'm finding it hard to eat my normal calories let alone eat back my exercise calories as well.
    well I do admit that this can be hard to do, I do not eat back all of them mostly because I tend to not eat extra cals until post workout, however what I did start doing was spreading them out more over the day so that it is easier to make the goal. The bottom line though is that this is a tool like any other to educate yourself and find what works best for you. I just do not want people to continue with the illusion that they can eat like crap, work like crazy and expect things to work right without taking a look at it from a nutrition standpoint.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Well, I eat at most 1200 calories per day. My goal is set at 1050, because I'm sure I undercalculate certain things I eat. Then when I work out, I list exactly what my HRM reads as my caloric burn without taking into consideration what my body would have burnt regardless of me working out or not. However, I'm 114 soaking wet. My goal is only .5lb per week with my goal weight being 108, which is in the middle of my healthy BMI range (92-123lbs). So 1200 calories for me is definitely not starving and I always eat back my exercise calories. People are too general on this site and often too willing to give unsolicited advice.
    true and nowhere in my statement did I aim the point towards you specifically, I advocate finding what works for you as an individual, hence the reason why I made a broad statement as opposed to singling out any one body type. If they are not well aware of the fact that if you are small and require less than what most do then they are misguided.
  • laurawhite12
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised to log in and see your message. I had lost 6.5 pounds since Jan. 2011 and 3 came back to haunt me. I might not be eating enough. YES, i put down 1200 calories for a goal, but I walk walk walk all the time. Maybe I need more food? I am not offended by your comments and don't find it sexist at all. I do find it very informative and helpful. So, thank you Mr. Man!!!!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I asked this on another one of your threads, what makes you an expert; most of your threads are just repeats of what others have said and some of the information you “give” is just plain wrong. I see you have lost 13 pounds, and your profile gives no indication you have any expertise in the health or weight loss fields.

I do love the irony of a man telling women what they are doing wrong.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised to log in and see your message. I had lost 6.5 pounds since Jan. 2011 and 3 came back to haunt me. I might not be eating enough. YES, i put down 1200 calories for a goal, but I walk walk walk all the time. Maybe I need more food? I am not offended by your comments and don't find it sexist at all. I do find it very informative and helpful. So, thank you Mr. Man!!!!!

If the walking is not included in your exercise, it should at least be included in your lifestyle activity level. You may need to eat more, especially if you are burning a lot more than you listed in your goals.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    Oh soooo true! Most people forget that weight loss is 90% intake. If you increase your excercise, you must provide the right fuel to keep losing. For most people, you just have to find what works best for you. I did, and here is what my plan consisted of -- Counting calories, lower carb, king-prince-pauper rule, no simple carbs after 4PM and lots of exercise (cardio and weight training 6 days a week). Also, very important, take one day a week to cheat and eat whatever you want. I followed this plan for 6 months and lost almost 40 lbs in that time period.

Specifics:

Calorie counting, lower carb + no simple carbs after 4PM - I kept my carb count under 70 grams per day and no bread, flour, rice, pasta, potatoes after 4PM, period. I religiously tracked everything I ate and all exercise on this site and followed the calorie guidelines the site suggested. Typically you can take your weight x 10 and that should be your base caloric intake. If you want to lose more quickly, drop the calorie count by 100 to 200 calories.

King-prince-pauper rule - Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner. This means you get the bulk of your calories early, when your body is best equipped to burn them off.

Cardio + weight training - I exercised 6 days a week. Two days a week, I weight train. The remaining 4 days were typically cardio intervals alternating between running, cycling, stairmaster, step mill, jump training, power walking, etc.

One day per week cheat - eat whatever you want! Then get right back on your diet the next day. This seems to trick your metabolism!

It worked for me, but I had to figure it out. Once I saw consistent weight loss, I stuck with it. I feel great and have attained my weight goals!

Good luck everyone! Stick to it -- diet and exercise produces results!!!!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think it is sexist that some woman just can't take GOOD advice from a man without complaining about it, so there :P

On a serious note, to the OP- thanks for the great advice
This discussion has been closed.