Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant!

Options

Replies

• AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Oooh the group is growing...just like our bumps!

Back from cruising. What a blast! What I couldn't drink in booze at night I sure made up for it in dessert calories. As of this morning though I'm only up a pound which is what I should of gained this week to stay on track for healthy pregnancy gaining. I owe it all to my working out - it's keeping my metabolism reved, I'm sure.

Can't believe I'm 16 weeks - although with my pregnancy so close behind my last one I think I look like I'm about 20 weeks pregnant. I'm OK with that tough - I love a nice bump! People definitely noticed onboard the ship - they weren't shy about commenting (I rest assured they knew it was a baby bump, not a possible fat gut!).

Heather you're doing fantastic! That happened to me in my first pregnancy - about 9 pound gain in the first trimester... Then I held at that number for a number of weeks. Don't sweat it. Eat when you're hungry. You're burning tons of calories. You need it. Your diary looks like you're making some great choices!

Nice to read up on everyone's pregnancies thus far. I look forward to following this group!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad you had a blast on your cruise! I'm hoping to go on a babymoon sometime at the end of summer, maybe a nice little Florida vacay. That is pretty impressive that you only gained a pound. Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm hoping I do the same and just maintain for a while. Again I'm glad you had a blast!

Hope you ladies are having a good day. :)
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well today I find out I am 6 weeks and one day and my due date is November 28th. A possible Thanksgiving baby!!
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Had an acute care appointment today because I told the doc I felt pressure when I went to go pee. Well it was negative. Anyways. Saw my baby kick and dance around, doc pretty much was the second person to say they think it was a boy but can't confirm because I am only 17 weeks.. But it was really obvious.. boy parts.. lol soo.. ITS A BOY :)

Anyways I went running today. This is the first year i have ever had to deal with allergies. There is a LOT of oak pollen in the air (apparently, as per allergy.com) but I didn't know that this would make me wheeze terribly after 2 miles of running. Horrible horrible experience. Now that I have been in Texas for about 9 years, I have officially developed an allergy. The valuable lesson I learned is meds before symptoms. Of course I knew this before, but the worst I have ever gotten was itchy eyes. No wheezing. Kinda scary.

Tomorrow is my last clinical day in the mom and baby unit (I am a nursing student) so that's exciting. 3 more weeks till finals :) I am taking a semester off because we don't have help for when baby gets here (we don't want him in daycare too early) and my advisor for school was looking at me like I wasn't coming back... COME ON... I have A's and B's.. do you really think I would throw away my last two semesters because of an unexpected baby??? lol. IT WAS THE DOCTORS FAULT HE TOLD ME I CAN'T HAVE KIDS!!! lol. ahhh man it's too funny how they look at me like I am crazy taking a semester off... If they only knew what was in my head, and how hard I have worked to make amazing grades to eventually get my masters.. they would understand.

Ok. That is all ladies. :) Oh, and my "bump" still hasn't grown... I am kinda jealous about all y'alls bumps :(
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Lexi that is fantastic! Congrats on baby boy! Was your hubby excited? And yeah those parts just don't disappear in 3 weeks so I'd say it is safe to say it is a boy too if you saw parts! lol! Yes definitely take your meds prior to running. :) And with the whole nursing school thing...they probably just see your potential and worry that once baby gets here it is harder to restart something you know is hard. I'm sure you are focused and have your goals, just know that many of a an awesome nursing student fell victim to dropping out forever because life happened! I say prove em wrong! ;) Did you like mother and baby? When I started nursing school I wanted to be a Nurse Midwife...until I did L&D rotation and realized that was sooo not me! lol! I ended up going into pediatrics though and beside the massive stressor of worrying about killing somebody's baby...I loved my job! My hubby got a fulltime instructor pilot position about an hour and a half away from the hospital so I ended up quitting and working at an eye surgery center (which was bleh and I hated it. the hours were great, but everyday was groundhog day...so boring and I don't care for adults...kiddos are my thing). So now I am a stay at home soon to be mommy! :) So you can tell me you'd rather not talk about it...but I'm just curious as to why a doctor told you that you couldn't have kids when obviously you can?! The only reason I ask is you are not the first person I've heard this from. I have at least 2 friends where the doctor said they couldn't have children for one reason or another and then they ended up getting pregnant without any medical interventions at all.... Me on the other hand the doctors kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me and I should be able to have a baby and it still took me over 7 years to conceive!

I hope you ladies have a fantastic day!
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies and welcome newcomers!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Lexi - a boy! how fun. I can relate with the running allergies. Well maybe not completely relate as I don't think mine are as severe as yours. We get lots of pollen in the great Pacific Northwest and it makes me wheeze too. Those several weeks of the year are always miserable for my runs. I've had lovely rain to run in the last few days. Good luck with the finals coming up. I'm sure you will rock them!

My 20 week ultrasound is next week and I can't decide if I want to know or not! My husband is an RN so we've been wondering if we will be able to figure out the sex without being told. Time will tell.....

Amy - how nice that you got a chance to get away. Did your son travel with you or was it just a parent's getaway? My husband and I are traveling to Europe in a few weeks for our last big trip before baby arrives. We've had this planned for a couple years so it worked out perfectly that I will be 24/25 weeks while we travel. I'm sad I won't be able to enjoy all the wonderful wine, but I figure I will make up for it with the fantastic food :-)

Heather - I thought my three year journey was crazy and you dealt with seven! Extra congratulations for you.
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies,

Welcome New Mamas!

Smilegirl, I know your dilema about finding out the sex of baby. We did not find out with #1 and it was THE BEST surprise EVER (especially nice after 46 hours of labor). I would totally find out what this one is but my husband is dead-set against it. I'm ok with that. I'll be thrilled when baby is born either way. I've got my 18 week ultrasound in a couple of weeks. Guess we'll be telling them "we don't want to know".

We brought our son with us on the trip. He travels great! Brought him to Maui when he was 5 months old as well. Just a lot of stuff to pack but otherwise no problem at all. Luckily he'll take his naps in his stroller when we were out and about so that was a nice discovery... was worried about that one!

That's great news about your Europe trip! Fantastic timing for sure. How exciting. Hubby and I did tons of traveling prior to marrying (SE Asia, Australia, South America) and we hope to continue with our growing family. We did a 'babymoon' to NYC with #1 which was unforgetable. Yes, eat away! Enjoy that food!
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Hello ladies,

i was supposed to have my 1st appt today but it got bumped to tomorrow. I'll be 9 weeks on Sunday. I can't believe I haven't even seen the doc yet. I guess they figure it's my 4th and if there isn't a problem than I'll know what to do lol.

Really hoping this nausea subsides soon. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not. Been very tired today and yesterday. If I sit on the couch at all between 3 and 5 pm, I am pretty much toast.

I had a dream last night that I had sextuplets LOL :noway: At first they told me triplets then when I had them there were 6 and they said, "oh we meat triplets of twins." In all my other pregnancies I NEVER dreamt so much about the baby this early. It's been twin girls, a boy twice, and then 6 boys and girls lol. So funny.

So far I've gained about 4 or 5 lbs and my bump is starting to stick out a little. My smallest jeans are getting a little snug. I need one of those belly band things. Anyone use one? My sister said I could borrow hers. Hopefully I can get some more time out of my jeans! I hate the thought of maternity clothes right now...
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Melissa - My doctor didn't want to see me until the 9th week either. I thought it was very strange and too long for a first time pregnancy. I kept wondering, am I really pregnant?? Is everything okay?? Needless to say, I made it to that point and am now cruising along in the 19th week. :-)

Don't hate me, but I didn't have any morning sickness so I cannot really relate. I know from friends that it can be horrific so I hope it goes away soon for you. Just another month and hopefully the fatigue will wear off too and the energy will return. I have found that I am not so exhausted during the day, but I have been sleeping around nine hours on the weekends and I am sure I could go longer if I didn't get myself up!

Sextuplets! Oh my, can you imagine?? It is funny how dreams can be so realistic sometimes.

A friend gave me a Bella Band - I love it. I still haven't moved into maternity clothes because of it. That being said, my bump is starting to be a little more obvious :-) and I have a feeling I will need the maternity pants soon.....

Hope you have a nice appointment and happy Saturday to everyone!
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    My appt got canceled AGAIN! Now b/c I am going away to Maryland for a pastor's wives retreat this week I won't see the doc until next Friday. I'll be almost 10 weeks. I'm not worried and don't feel the need to see the doc but I'm aggravated that this is how this office works. You would think w/ 7 drs they would coordinate an oncall doctor for appts when one has to go out for emergency surgery. I suppose it's a job with lots of unexpecteds...

I'll be away for 3 days and hoping to have plenty of time to jog and walk. I'm looking forward to not cooking and having all my meals served to me. HOpefully I can restrain from overeating them lol.
  • __flexylexi
    Options
    I am sorry about that! I didn't get seen by the doc until I was 12 weeks LOL but that is the military for ya. Tricare! YEAA!! <-- Sarcastic.

Smilegirl- I only threw up 4 times in my first trimester and got my energy back by 10 weeks. They say hyperemesis happens more with girl babies, I guess it makes sense that I have a boy? doesn't always work out that way though I am sure.

Heather - My period has only occurred naturally less than 5 times, if that The first one did and lasted almost 2 1/2 weeks. We tried for a little over a year when we first got married and decided it was a blessing not to have one because I wanted to go to nursing school so we held off again. I have been on birth control since I was 13 because I wouldn't get my period for 8 months, then provera for a week, then I would get it, then I won't have it for 14 months, so they just put me on regular pill When we were trying, I wasn't ovulating at all so doc said when we were ready the first thing we will try is Clomid and go from there.
    So anyways.. imagine my surprise when I get off nuva ring november, have my regular birth control off week period, then find out I was pregnant! lol it was crazy. The plan was to get off birth control so my body somewhat tries to regulate in the next few months then start clomid in the summer time so I can conceive around aug/sept and have the babe after graduation in May 2012.. Obviously things didn't work out that way lol
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Finally had my 1st appt. I wasn't expecting it but I got to see the baby on ultrasound. So adorable. It was wiggling all over and its heart was strong. I didn't get a heart rate (or a due date for that matter lol). It was a strange appt. I guess when it's your 4th they figure you've got it figured out. I'm just happy to know everything looks good. I've been super nauseous the last few days and I am really hoping that subsides soon!

I hope you ladies are all well!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    That is absolutely wonderful Melissa!!! I'm so glad your appt went well and you got to see your little one!

Lexi sounds a lot like PCOS...did they ever give you a diagnosis?

Amy have you gotten back into your workout groove post cruise? I'm trying to figure out how to swing a babymoon down in Destin, FL at the end of August...I miss the beach!

Well I've been keeping up with my workouts and still gaining weight...I'm just starting to come to the conclusion that my body is going to do what it is going to do. I still eat healthy and have a treat (in moderation) from time to time. I just want to have a healthy pregnancy and the ultimate goal of having a healthy baby! My hubby is going to be gone a lot longer than we initially thought...he will be home when I turn 20wks. Needless to say I'm bummed but this is what I signed up for so I'm supportive of him and I will just stay as busy as possible. At least he will be home to find out the sex of the baby and the birth!

I hope you all are doing well!
  • __flexylexi
    Options
    They never gave me a diagnosis, but they did check for PCOS and my ovaries did not have cysts. That's what I thought at first too.
  • __flexylexi
    Options
    I feel horrible and guilty. I accidentally took a Claritin D instead of regular claritin.. Hopefully one pill won't hurt. I am also getting to that point where I feel so bad if I am getting a good sweat.. I feel bad that I am hurting the baby (although I know I am probably not, I am just paranoid)

I have this thing now too where the allergies in the air is causing me to have difficulty breathing, to the point of wheezing for at least a couple days. It is horrible. It has only happened twice but I feel bad that if I am gasping for air my baby will be hurt if he isn't getting air too. I mean I am still able to breathe but it was just hard. :(

I think just reading posts on babycenter about them losing their babies I just get sooo paranoid now. So bad that I just want to go to the ER just to see if baby is okay. I won't, but hey. :( My big US isn't until May 16... Ill be 22 weeks ish... and hubby will be there finally. He leaves afghanistan in 9 days!

WHY AM I SO PARANOID it is driving me crazy :(
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Girl I found that Babycenter was the source of all of my anxiety! All I ever read was horror stories of women losing their babies after they'd seen the heartbeat or at 20wks or something...looking at the statistics this is very very uncommon but I still couldn't help but freaking out...so I've stopped going on that site and looking at any posts that I know might scare me!

I would say you and your baby are completely fine. Is there any way you can do your workouts indoors so your allergies aren't such an issue (or are you having the same problems during indoor workouts?)?

And you are paranoid cause you are human and a mother! Being a mommy is a big job and we do everything in our power to protect our babies, even when they are inside of us! You are normal!

I'm so happy to hear that your hubby is coming home soon! How long was his deployment? Mine gets home the end of June when I'm 20wks. I am grateful he is not deployed and even though I'm bummed he will be gone for half of my pregnancy, I still feel blessed that he will be home for the important stuff. You and your hubby will be in my thoughts and prayers! Pray that he gets home safe and quickly! :)
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Lexi, I think the anxiety is a normal part of pregnancy. We are mothers now and it's natural to be concerned and want the best for our little ones. Your allergies sound pretty extreme right now and I agree with Heather in that maybe you could find something indoors to do until the pollen levels decrease. I am a total outdoor workout girl myself, so I know how challenging it can be to bring it inside! In my opinion it is okay to get sweaty as long as you are staying well hydrated and don't feel light-headed. I know my own body (and I am guessing you know yours!) so if I ever feel like I am over doing it, just pull up, slow down or stop.

I had my 20 week ultrasound on Friday. It's always reassuring to see that little one and see the heart beating strongly. I'm still pretty little (although I gained 5 pounds in the last two weeks - yikes!!). The ultrasound technician was funny when I laid down. She said, "are you sure there's a baby in there?? you are incredibly small!" We asked to have the sex of the baby written and placed in a sealed envelope just in case we decide we want to know. I still want the surprise, my husband could go either way. The baby was actually very uncooperative in that department anyway, didn't want to open its legs. Made me think maybe bambino wants us to be surprised too! The technician said she normally feels like a 95-97% accuracy on her sex prediction, but she didn't feel like she could go over 90% with us.

My husband and I went baby shopping (really just looking) last weekend. Cribs, car seats, strollers etc. and wow, did I get overwhelmed. There are so many things I know we need to be buying and it made me realize how much I don't know about having a baby. Luckily, I have lots of support and advice from friends who have done this recently so I know we will be just fine, but it's overwhelming all the same!

Lexi and Heather - I pray for the safe return of your husbands. Although mine is here, he's been on evening shift lately so we rarely see each other. He gets home around 12-1a and I am sleeping. I get up at 445a Monday - Thursday, so we are just like ships passing in the night! The nice news is he is off next Saturday and Sunday so we can have a nice Easter weekend. Yeah!

Amy - I keep reading about your moving activity. I know how much work it is to move, but usually so worth it once it is all done. Did you get a new place or just moving into an addition or remodel?

Melissa - hope the horrible nausea is decreasing a little bit. Were you this sick with your previous pregnancies too?
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Smilegirl I have no idea how you have the patience to not find out! It is killing me now! I see all of these cute clothes I wanna buy but everything is either blue or pink! The nursery is going to depend on the sex of the baby as well...so we will definitely be finding out asap! :)

So I am almost 11wks and have gained probably about 8 or 9lbs...I know I said "my body is gonna do what its gonna do..." but it is REALLY bothering me! I feel like I do EVERYTHING right...I exercise an hour to two every day (most days is 2 hours and I do take of 1 day a week to "rest" which means cleaning/mowing the lawn/etc) and I stay within/under my calories most days. It is REALLY frustrating. I'm thinking about ordering What to Eat While Pregnant by the same people who created The Diet Solution (which is the plan I LOVE and followed before I got pregnant). I can't eat the high protein/low carb diet anymore though so that plan stopped working immediately following when I found out I was pregnant. I do have PCOS and gain weight very easily so maybe this has something to do with me gaining this much weight because I am eating a lot more carbs (even the healthy ones like pineapple/bananas/oranges are suggested in low quantities for women with PCOS). I don't know...all I do know is that I'm scared I'm going to gain 60lbs and be fat and miserable after the baby is born...and that is the last thing I want! Am I freaking over nothing?! What are your suggestions?
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Heather I have always said that I'd want to be surprised! I am old school that way I guess. I am also not someone who wants an overly girlish or boyish nursery so it doesn't affect my choices so much.

As for the weight gain - I have gained more than I wanted to at this point (17 pounds at 20 weeks). I've noticed too that I have eaten more carbs than usual and I also had a spurt for the past couple weeks where I didn't eat as clean as normal. When I look back on my food diary I see my sodium and sugar consumption was high and I am guessing that led to my 5 pound two week gain. I was never officially diagnosed with PCOS, but my doctor's guess was that I have it. I work out hard four days a week and pretty much just walk my dogs the other three. I have always been extremely conscious of my weight and so gaining has been a challenge for me, but I also am trying to look at it as a time in my life where it is perfectly okay. It's hard for me as well because I have wider hips and I think I am hiding the baby better than someone built differently. I am soooooo wide and thick through my middle and feel like I just look fat, not pregnant. I've not yet told my work about my pregnancy (long story as to why) and want to be able to hold off until we return from Europe. I have three more weeks until we leave so here I am thankful for not showing so much although I may be moving up to an elastic waist scrub pant in the next week or so! I would just encourage you to continue to workout, eat well the majority of the time and let yourself enjoy gaining a little weight. With your gain at this point, I think you are well away from the 60 pound mark. Continue to take care of yourself and the baby and know that your good habits will pay off after you deliver and I bet the weight will come off easily. Try not to freak out! You don't sound all that off track to me.

I just got off the phone with my best friend who lives far away. We have a very good friend who passed away five years ago and we are planning to run another marathon in her memory next spring or fall. It will be such good motivation for me to have something to train for after my bambino arrives. Very much looking forward to it ;-)
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend Smilegirl... That is great motivation to have something to work towards after baby! And where in Europe are you traveling to? I had lived in England for a few years in the early 20s and traveled to France and Greece and when I was a child we lived in Germany. I would love nothing more than to go on a European vacation with my husband (who has never been).

And I'm not so much worried about gaining weight...I have wanted this baby for so very long that if I were supposed to gain 100lbs I'd do it. I just know that how much I've gained is "too much" from everyone I've talked to and everywhere I've read. In the first trimester women either lose weight or gain all of 3 or 4lbs. I guess that is the frustrating thing...cause I'm doing everything right and I've gained DOUBLE that! I did end up ordering that plan so we will see if it helps any. I'm in the beginning so I'm not totally ruining my 25-35lb weight gain goal....

Hope you ladies had a great weekend and have a really great week!