Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant!

Options

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Welcome new ladies! Pam you can lurk here anytime you want! :) Can't wait for you to be here for good!

Aida you are welcome. Unfortunately no cream, lotion, or potion will decrease your stretch marks. Use your mother as a barometer of how many stretch marks you will get. It is for the most part hereditary. A little lotion never hurt anything though! And I'm not a doctor, but without a doubt I can tell you that your friends are wrong. No offense. Unless you are doing extreme heavy lifting (we are talking 100+ pounds) you won't miscarry from weight lifting. It is actually really good for you to continue to do your weight lifting routine while pregnant.

dmcohee welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I know I'd be depressed if I couldn't workout every day! 3lbs though is awesome. You probably feel like it is 15 because your ab muscles after 3 babies are less likely to hold in like they used to. I highly recommend Tracy Anderson Method for upper body. She uses 3lb weights at the most but it is the hardest arm/back workout I've ever done! You should google her arm routine. I do it every single day!

Nichole my doc said I can do anything I was doing before. Some doc's say no kickboxing cause they are under the impression you are going to get kicked/punched. They don't it is just like aerobics with fun moves...but I don't blame you for following doctor's orders!

Sooo....just got back from my 12wk prenatal appointment. She found the baby's heartbeat with the doppler (barely but it was there) and it was in the 150s. She assured me there is no rhyme or reason to the heart beat and the gender of your baby. I wish it were though...Oh well. I also poured my heart and soul out to her about my frustrations with my weight gain. (I've gained officially 10lbs). She said it is without a doubt the Prometrium (Progesterone supplement) I've been taking since ovulation to try and avoid a miscarriage. My Progesterone levels were very low with my miscarriage before so they wanted to try and see if that would help. Well evidently high Progesterone levels make you gain weight and the weight gain is due to the medication and not my lack of eating healthy and working out! I am soooooo relieved! I've been beating myself up so frustrated and all along it was my medication. She said she is not concerned at all. What a relief! I also talked to her about my desire to follow The Bradley Method and do a natural birth. She was excited and said she loves doing natural births. I love that we are on the same page with that. So many Physicians want to do as much as possible and she is the exact opposite.

All in all it has been a good day!
  • AidaR
    AidaR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your help... my mom had strech marks during her pregnacies with me and my brother but at the same time she was very very petite (i got my dad tall/big genes lol) plus she had my brother around the time the war back home started so i'm sure all the stretch marks and spending days/months in the basement with no activity might have had something to do with it also lol...
    I'm very happy for you Heather great news!!! all your hard work will pay off
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh stretch marks. I know they said you can't prevent it but I am a believer in non scratching (silly maybe - but hear me out lol) When I gained a LOT of weight, I did NOT have stretchmarks until ONE day, my tummy was SO itchy, and i scratched the hell out of it. My scratches left red marks. I didn't mind them, figured they would go away. 3 weeks later they are still there... and months later (now) the marks are still there. Not as big as the scratches that made my skin red, but it left stretch marks in the middle. of the scratch where i dug the most. Other than that, I don't really have other stretch marks except barely visible ones on my legs..

My mom and sister have stretchmarks but they also didn't do ANYTHING while pregnant. Tradition where I came from was for the pregnant woman to be very very sedentary. After you have the baby they don't even let you shower for 30 days so you had to stay in bed in the AC all day for a month.

I am very active, drink a lot of water so I am hoping I don't get any. I am still smaller waist wise now than I was when I was heavier so thats good :) 10 lbs gained at this point.

I got a fetal doppler today (I am blaming it on knowing too much from maternity nursing) and my baby's HR stays at 160 I swear!!! This is a boy though and they said it is higher early on so we will see.

Heather, yay for the tickets, and considering your PCOS and glucose problems, I think you look great. You are also doing a good job keeping up with workouts so just let your body do what it is supposed to do :) eat ice cream hehe :) not too much though!!! And come on nurse!!! You got me thinking here you gained this weight from eating, but now that you say you're on progesterone supplements it makes soooo much sense now that you are gaining weight!!!! LOL don't be so hard on yourself :)

Husband is finaly in Manas base in Kyrgyzstan -- I am excited because this is the first base he has been on that has Wifi... If any of you guys are familiar with the documentary Restrepo, that province is where my husband was at the past 13 months. No wifi, attacked every day and nerve wracking, with the highest death rates in units deployed in Afghanistan. I had nightmares for forever about dress greens showing up in my apartment. Thank God he is almost out. I told him on the phone that we will get to skype and he gets to see my fat face LOL and he told me "But I will still love your fat pregnant face" hehehe :) love him so muchhh!!!!

AidaR - Nursing + baby is so doable, so many people in my nursing class have kids but they also have help, so I hope you have a really supportive surrounding! And yes I try to keep up with my workouts but they have been difficult to keep up with. That is also one of the reasons why I caved in and got a doppler rental because I always get nervous when I work out so I wanna always check on baby after, just till I can feel him kick regularly :)
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Lexi thanks girl. I never even considered the weight gain being from the Prometrium. It just never crossed my mind that it could be making me gain weight. Clomid is also known to make people gain weight as well and sure enough that is what it took to make this baby. So the combo obviously messed me up from the get go! Hopefully being able to stop the Progesterone my weight will drop or just plateau for at least a few weeks or so.

On another note, I read your post about your hubby being where they filmed Restrepo and I immediately teared up and my heart went out to you. I know I complain about missing my husband, but it is nowhere near like what you've been going through. I can't even imagine how you've been feeling or have gotten through this with him there. You are an incredibly strong women! My husband was shot at daily and actually gave his seat in his Apache helicopter to a ground soldier that was shot in the face and other places to save his life....but we met a few days after he had returned so I never had to go through the pain and agony of knowing the person I love so much is in daily danger. I'm overjoyed that he is coming home safe and sound to you and baby! I'm sure he can't wait to see your face. I'm sure the vision of your face is what got him through each day. I pray that he gets home safe and very very quickly! I'm so excited for you! :)
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    So many new pregnant moms. It's so exciting!
    I have finally started feeling better and even went on a hike today w/ my hubby!!! It was glorious. I haven't really worked out at all in about 2 weeks due to tiredness and nausea but finally did today!
    I haven't weighed in in about 2 weeks or more either so we'll see....
    I can't say that my eating has been stellar the past few weeks. Just whatever makes me feel better and easter was a sugar fest. Lemon raspberry whoopie pies. Gluten free, but still wayyyyy too sweet.
    Weather is finally nice here today and I am off to the park with my other kids!
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Our group is growing by leaps and bounds. Welcome to all the new moms!

Heather - so glad your 12 week appointment went well. I am also glad that your doctor, husband and mom are all helping to be supportive of your frustration with weight gain. I still think you are doing awesome. I think you and I are similar in size?? I am 5'7 and was 145 or so pre-pregnancy. I have been hovering at 17/18 gained at this point. I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow, so still more than I'd hoped at this point, but on track for a healthy gain.

Melissa - yeah! you are starting to feel better and you got sunshine today. Yeah! Yeah!

Lexi - how much longer until your husband makes it home? Happy to hear that he has moved to a safer location. My heart always goes out to you and Heather. It is very tough to be a military wife.

Nichole - my doctor too felt that everything I was doing for exercise prior to pregnancy was okay to continue. I run four days a week, do light weight/strength training and yoga. My run time has slowed by a minute per mile and I've cut back on my longer runs, but I am continuing to move. I truly believe that your body will tell you if you are doing too much - just make sure to listen to it!

AidaR - I worry about stretch marks too. My breasts are getting sooooo large......I don't know how I will not end up with some stretch marks. Granted I wasn't a small gal to begin with but I am gigantic now! And I think they are going to keep growing?? Any feedback from current moms?

911girl - I am thinking of you for Wednesday. I know it will be a tough day.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
  • AidaR
    AidaR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good morning girls,
    When did you start getting morning sickness or did you not have any at all? I'm getting into week 5 now and no morning sickness at all but for some odd reason I feel sick around 2 or 3pm and that’s when most of my meetings at work are so you can imagine I always sit close to the garbage can and the door just in case LOL, my coworkers don't know I’m pregnant and I’d like to keep it that way until 1st trimester t least.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Hello ladies... Today I have decided to make a plan..... I am so tired all I want to do is close my eyes but I know if I dont push through this it will never end. Im going to the gym tonight. 30min on the treadmill and 20min of upper body work them going to hit the pool for some streching and laps. I hope to report how well it went.
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    smilegirl- breasts were the only place that I didn't get stretchmarks, and they definitely got A LOT bigger that first time around. I went from a small C to an E. I'm sure everyone is different but it seemed that my skin was a little more elastic in that area. Also, they do bounce back after nursing. They'll seem "deflated" for a bit when you are first done nursing but they come back after a year or so :)

Aida- I started getting nauseous around 5 weeks and "morning" sickness is a very very inaccurate term. I almost always felt most sick in the afternoon and evening. Everyone is different but for me it lasted until about 3 days ago and I am 11 1/2 weeks now. Never had it w/ my other 3 but this 4th one...nausea city.

Off to enjoy the beautiful weather again!!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Hope all of you ladies are doing well today and making lots of healthy choices! :) I got in my hour of Tracy Anderson Method toning and then did 30 mins on the treadmill and 30 on the elliptical. It was hard to get started.....this weather is making me less than energetic that's for sure. I'm hoping tomorrow's warmer weather and sunshine will perk up my mood and my energy levels. Last night was the first night in months I got a full nights sleep without getting up to pee at least once or twice. It was nice. :)

Melissa glad you are starting to feel better and glad you are having nice weather!

Doty1 you go girl! Stick with your plan and you will feel so proud of yourself and I bet your energy level will begin to get better. It sounds counterproductive but the more we move/exercise the more energy we seem to have. Sounds like a great workout! You should try and get a workout buddy. Mine has been a lifesaver especially when I'm exhausted! She pushes me and holds me accountable.

Aida I'm like Melissa and did not get "morning" sickness but instead started feeling ill after lunch. Sipping on Sprite Zero (I'm not a soda drinker at all but it got me through) and snacking on crackers really helped me. My nausea only lasted from week 5 until week 7...I know that I am lucky and that is pretty abnormal. I think staying active and working out helps a lot of women. Also make sure you eat small meals throughout the day instead of 2 or 3 big meals. If you get too hungry that is a sure bet you are going to feel ill.

Smilegirl yes we are about the same. I am 5'6.5" (gotta add that half an inch! lol!) and started off weighing 146lbs. Before the couple rounds of Clomid and the 2 miscarriages this past winter I was around 140-145lbs. I felt great at that weight. My body fat at 145lbs this past July was 18% which is in the athletic percentage. I still wanted to lose 5-10lbs..but don't we all. I am very relieved to know that I wasn't doing anything wrong and the weight gain is a side effect of the medication (which I'm happy to say I stopped taking yesterday). I'm hoping to plateau out and slow down this weight gain.
  • spring12peanut
    Options
    hi ladies!!! i wanted to join this thread as it looks super supportive and really informational!! currently i am not pregnant...but we've been trying!!! so hopefully soon i can contribute to the talks...mainly 'lurking' (loved that reference before) to stay in touch!

congrats to everyone!!
    -jessica
  • spring12peanut
    Options
    PS...what type of 'code' do you select for the tickers outside of MFP?
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lexi and Heather, I don't know how you do it with military husbands. I give you both a lot of credit especially during this time when we are at our most emotional. I pray they both keep safe!

Aida- I mostly only feel sick if I let my stomach get too empty. You may try bringing some crackers to your meetings. I have to eat a couple crackers before I get up in the morning otherwise I feel sick. I've even woke up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous. Crackers really seem to do the trick. Good luck!

Doty1- Good luck, I hope you make your goals today!

spring12peanut: looks like you figured out the code thing for your ticker. Hope you get to join soon:0)

smilegirl - That's great that you are still running! I love getting inspiration from all of you. People forget that we were all really active before getting pregnant and say just enjoy relaxing and not having to workout. I hate that. I'm definitely not going to stop taking care of myself now. Plus exercise is good for the baby too. People kill me.

AFM- I did my hour Zumba class this morning and felt great. I felt a little less coordinated for some reason, haha. I made sure to eat a really good breakfast an hour before and then had a hard boiled egg right after.

I have been really bad. My family was vising over the weekend so the only working out I did was some walks. I also ate a lot of bad food. I gain weight so easy if I don't workout. So I am hoping to nip this in the butt starting today. So far so good:0) I hate when people say they can't seem to eat enough calories. I can't seem to stop eating. Every 2 hours my stomach acts like it's starving. I just need to make some better choices. I stocked up on healthy stuff yesterday so that should help a lot.

What are your go to healthy snacks?
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Oh Nichole I knew I liked you...and now I really like you even more! lol! It kills me when people use pregnancy as an excuse to be lazy...you are pregnant, you don't have cancer! Sheesh. I was once told in the TTC board from another member that she would be surprised if I kept up working out because she never knew of anyone that continued with their workouts while pregnant.....well watch out ladies cause unless something devastating happens and I'm at risk of miscarriage, this mama is gonna be sweating and burning calories all the way to the delivery room! Of course I've been tired....but I sleep at night, and rest for an hour during the day, but there are a lot more hours in the day I find to do my workouts. And to date I've managed to workout 6 days a week and I'm 12 weeks pregnant! If you weren't active before it is still recommended you workout, maybe not to the extreme some of us ladies are at...but exercise is amazing not only for your pregnancy and delivery, but babies from moms who exercise are known to be less fussy, more easy to console, more relaxed, less likely to have colic...all kinds of wonderful amazing things. I say...exercise...it is natures prozac! :) I'm so glad you had a good workout this morning. And don't worry...a few days won't set you up for disaster. Just jump back into your routine and you will be on track again. You rock way too much to lose that motivation and fire you have in you!

Welcome Jessica! Hope you get to join us as well. There is also a TTC board with lots of supportive women who are going through the same steps as you. Fit for Future Families.
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am so with you ladies on no excuses! I found out over the Christmas holidays that I was pregnant - my parents were staying with us and knew how long we'd been trying so we couldn't hold our excitement and told them right away. I then headed out the door to run and my dad said, "you're still going to run?" My response was something like "I'm pregnant, not ill! Of course I am going!" I have also heard and read that active moms have babies that sleep and adjust better. I am also hoping that keeping up with my exercise routine will help make the delivery process smoother.

Doty1 - good luck with your goals - you can do this.

Aida - no morning sickness for me - sorry I don't have any advice. I can understand not sharing at work yet - I'm 22 weeks now and still haven't told them. I have one more week of work and then two weeks vacation, I plan to tell them on my return.

Nichole - some of my go to snacks include almonds, string cheese, apples (I love Pink Ladies!) and bagel thins with natural peanut butter. I also have fresh veggies as snacks - snap peas, peppers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots.
  • spring12peanut
    Options
    Welcome Jessica! Hope you get to join us as well. There is also a TTC board with lots of supportive women who are going through the same steps as you. Fit for Future Families.

thanks Heather!! I will defintiely be lingering around here...but will totally check out the Fit for Future Families thread!!

hope everyone has a great day!!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am worried and maybe you gals on here can help. I had every intention to keep exercising ( I was running on my treadmill EVERYDAY!) and I miss it. I am 9 weeks right now. I was so nauseous from about 5 weeks up until recently. It made me even sicker to exercise and I want to start exercising on a regular basis again but I'm afraid. What does everyone think should I just hop back into my old routine or should I just stick with walking now? I want to be one of those cute pregnant ladies. I didn't have that opportunity with my last 2 because I just let myself totally go.
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Good morning everyone! We have lots of storms coming our way. Seems to be that way in lots of places in this country right now! I hope you are all in safe places! Up here in NE we generally don't get tornadoes, just bad thunderstorms but I am so fearfully amazed at the devastation that is going on down south and praying that it stops soon!

I finally decided to get on the scale today. I haven't in about 2 weeks. I was delightfully surprised that i was only up .4lbs and that could definitely be water b/c I had soup last night which had a decent amount of sodium and made my fingers a little puffy this morning. I am planning to actually step foot in the gym today. I haven't been in over a month!!!! That is so terrible. I've done some walk/ jogs / hikes outside (which i much prefer to the gym anyway) but I need to do a little toning on these flabby muscles! I feel like my arms keep waving for a few minutes after I stop kwim?! :noway:

I'm starting to get an overwhelming feeling of the need to clean and organize my house. I have about 6 months to get it done and it will probably take most of it lol. I don't mean tidy up and vacuum. I mean go through every closet, the entire basement, the attic etc. I feel like my house is shrinking due to all the stuff we accumulate. I'm ready to cleanse and purge. I also set some other goals for the summer. One of them is to type the Bible curriculum that I wrote and get a step closer to publishing...the others are to spend as much awesome time w/ my "big kids" as I can doing things that might be a little challenging w/ a baby like going to the movies and day trips to the lake, camping etc. I am also going to read as much as possible. I finally started reading for pleasure again 2 years ago when my babies were not all babies anymore. I have a feeling I'll be hard pressed to find time to read again after the baby is born. I'm starting to get so excited I don't know if I can wait 6 months. Packing in all these goals will make it easier.

Some of my healthy snacks are apples, almonds, chobani yogurts, lara bars, and I've been loving grape juice lately although I generally try not to drink my calories.

Have a great day everyone!
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am worried and maybe you gals on here can help. I had every intention to keep exercising ( I was running on my treadmill EVERYDAY!) and I miss it. I am 9 weeks right now. I was so nauseous from about 5 weeks up until recently. It made me even sicker to exercise and I want to start exercising on a regular basis again but I'm afraid. What does everyone think should I just hop back into my old routine or should I just stick with walking now? I want to be one of those cute pregnant ladies. I didn't have that opportunity with my last 2 because I just let myself totally go.

Don't fret!!! :) Drs put me on uhh.. no exercising/getting your heartrate up precautions while they tested my kidneys (and etc), because when I was overweight, I developed hypertension, had to take meds. My BP was really bad that they wanted to see if there was any damage that would predispose me to preeclampsia because if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to work out. It took 4 weeks to get the results and that, on top of the fatigue I experienced from about week 5-12 really put a damper on my workouts. When they gave me the OK to work out around 13 weeks, I started running again. I went from 1 to 5 miles in one week (although 5 is my max now, I am getting bigger and it is getting harder and harder to run).. It is still half of what I used to do (I was running 8-10 milers when I didn't know I was pregnant and until they told me to stop) but now, I still try to get in at least 2 5 milers a week with elliptical workouts and lifting weights. Don't be scared, and listen to your body. It's not like if you stop at this point you won't be able to run at all when you get your energy back. Several long distance runners that I have talked to on different forums say that they barely worked out or let alone ran in their first trimester, but got back on it in the second tri! So listen to your body :)
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Hi ladies just real quick post. I had another ultrasound today and it was incredible. What had been just a blob on the screen 4 wks ago is now an actual baby! The very first shot was of the baby laid back with its feet propped up sucking its thumb! It was adorable. Then the baby wouldn't stop dancing around. It waved and did flips. It was just the most incredible feeling to actually see MY baby and it having such a personality already! After it was all over and they were finishing up the baby laid back down, lifted its arms behind its head and propped its feet back up like it was laid back in a hammock. Oh it was so funny! Well I'm on cloud 9 tonight for sure. Hope all of you ladies had a great day. I will catch up tomorrow! :)