New Rules of Lifting for Women group?

Options

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, Pixie! I can't wait to see what weights I'll be lifting at the end of phase 1!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Latest blog post from http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com/

Last night we did our last round of the New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Stage 1 set A. Insanity tonight and then Stage 1 set B tomorrow... and we'll FINALLY be done with Stage One*. This is the longest Stage in the NROLFW and boy, oh boy, does it feel like it.

BUT! We doubled our Squats**, from 50lb to 100lb (Scott felt like he could have gone up a teensy bit); doubled our Bent over rows, from 40lb to 80lb; I'm doing multiple full sets of standard pushups and Scott's on to decline pushups.

Am feeling pretty darned good about it, about now... and wondering if we couldn't have pushed ourselves that little bit further.

*We're skipping the "Special" set because we want to stay on track with the NROWFIZS schedule, but had taken a couple days off.
    **Yes, I know I said no more squats until I have left/right parity... but I just couldn't resist doing one set. :D
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Hello all - wanted to get some info on protein powder without throwing out the question to the entire mfp masses.

For those of you who use it, what kind/brand to you use and why? And when? Just after working out?

Those of you who don't use any, why not?

I appreciate your opinions!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ok...ordered NRLW, Anatomy of Women for Strength and Fitness, and a pair of lifting gloves. Then I told my DH what I planned to do. Anyone else get the deer-in-the-headlights look after stating your intentions to lift?

He then proceeded to tell me how old I am...yes, I know this. And that the female bone structure isn't built for lifting...umm, and you got this information from what reliable source? And that he wouldn't stand in my way, but wouldn't support me either...meaning that he's secretly rooting for me to fail so he can say "I told you so".

Why does this make me even more determined to see just how strong I really can be? So, watch for me...I'll be reading and studying NRLW while I finish Supreme 90, then here I come!

Well, he is a victim of the same misconception that a lot of women have about "bulking up" and weight lifting. Show him some pictures of jillian michaels or whoever and see what he thinks :). And as for the age thing (well, I am 42...), the older we get the more important it is that we keep our muscle mass as this will help us retain our bone mass as we go through menopause and beyond. This is more effective than taking calcium for avoiding osteoporosis.

Starting week 2! Am hoping that this will be the week that I actually lose some weight.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Hello all - wanted to get some info on protein powder without throwing out the question to the entire mfp masses.

For those of you who use it, what kind/brand to you use and why? And when? Just after working out?

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate (I don't vary flavors much).

Why? It's the best tasting of the affordable & good quality powders (imo). It's only $17.24 for 2 lbs with Amazon Sub & Save (inc. shipping). It's a good, easy way to get my protein numbers up where I want them when my daily intake is otherwise low.

When? After working out to make up those burned calories. As an actual protein supplement on low protein days. As a smoothie / ice cream additive (instant chocolate, low sugar flavor).
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Just started using it recently. My son bought CSN Syntha-6 before he left for the military, and I'm trying it.

I use it after my early morning Supreme 90 workout. From what I've read, it's good because it contains both whey (fast) and casein (slow) proteins, plus a little fat and carbs. It tastes really good in Silk Light Soy Milk.

It's quick to prepare...I just shake it in a bottle. I used to go on to the shower and get dressed for work before I would eat. By the time I got food fixed and eaten, I had quakes and fatigue. Now I get a shot of this before my shower and I stay energized.

Edit: I think it is Rich Chocolate Shake flavor.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I bought some Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in Mocha Cappuccino, Extreme Milk Chocolate, and a small tub of Vanilla Creme. I know it's ideal to use it right after a workout, but I almost always tend to drink them before a workout. I usually hit the gym with a few friends, and we tend to go right after work, at ~5 or 6pm. By this time I am usually getting hungry for dinner - I get hungry like clockwork. If I drink the protein shake before the workout, I'm able to better focus on the workout instead of getting distracted by being hungry. Then it's not so bad if I don't get dinner until 7 or 8pm. :)

I also use it on non-workout days just to supplement my protein intake. I've added it to oatmeal (delicious if you add the chocolate with some peanut butter...mmm), and to greek yogurt (that's what the vanilla flavour is for).
  • elizabethblake
    Options

I use Jay Robb's Whey Protein, 26 grams of protein, about 100 calories. I add a scoop to 1 cup frozen strawberries, some water and about 1/2 cup greek yogurt for my morning smoothie. Get it from Whole Foods, pretty expensive, but it's unflavored which keeps the calories down.

I've just bought 100 calorie milk muscle for a recovery drink. Haven't tried it yet.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have settled on Designer Whey. I sometimes get the chocolate kind but usually I have French Vanilla. I like that I can find it at any big grocery store. It's got a decent amount of protein per 100 cal scoop (18 g). I'm not as good as I'd like about having it for a post-workout protein boost (when I really have it together I mix nonfat powdered milk with a scoop and a half of the protein in my shaker bottle for right after my workout). I use it daily for rounding out my protein intake for the day mixed in with my nightly Greek yogurt-based concoction.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new here. I've been lifting for almost a year and half. I did the whole NROLFW, loved it. Then did a few routines from NROL (the original for men). Lately I've been doing Stronglifts 5X5. Now I'm training for a 5K and trying to maintain on weights a few times per week. I need the cardio back and a little less intensity on weights because I've gained weigth (also hypothyroid and I think that is off too, just got my blood drawn today to see). So I've not hit on the right mix yet for weightloss, but I'm very happy with my strength gains. I had much bigger gains w/lower body than upper, which has frustrated me to no end.

But I'm squatting 145 (for a 5X5), DL 125, bench press 55, overhead press 45-50, barbell rows 60. These are the exercises in Stronglifts 5x5.

I started lifting weights because I wanted to be able to lift my 55 lbs son. Now I can pick him up and hold him!

I'm 45 and stronger than I have ever been!

After my 5K I'm considering NROLFAbs, the new book. My other fitness board gives it rave reviews.

Carry on!

Shari
  • kensky
    Options
    Hi Shari! I am leaning toward Strongliftts after I complete this program. It's good to have you on as another who has completed the program and can vouch for it's benefits.

I am really enjoying my active-rest (aka all-cardio) week unlike the last few times I've attempted this sort of thing. I am excited to start the LAST stage on Monday though.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Hey yall! I just purchased the book over my lunch break today and cant wait to get started with the program this weekend. I've been battling these last 12 lbs for the longest time and I think this is just what I need to drop them. I look forward to meeting some of yall and having a support group of ladies who lift heavy weights!

Happy Friday,

Cass
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Hey Cass! You look really fit already, from your profile pic!

Today was the third workout of L1A for me, so I upped my weights and did more prone jackknives. I could really feel it, I'm looking forward to taking the weekend off to recup!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new here. I've been lifting for almost a year and half. I did the whole NROLFW, loved it. Then did a few routines from NROL (the original for men). Lately I've been doing Stronglifts 5X5. Now I'm training for a 5K and trying to maintain on weights a few times per week. I need the cardio back and a little less intensity on weights because I've gained weigth (also hypothyroid and I think that is off too, just got my blood drawn today to see). So I've not hit on the right mix yet for weightloss, but I'm very happy with my strength gains. I had much bigger gains w/lower body than upper, which has frustrated me to no end.

But I'm squatting 145 (for a 5X5), DL 125, bench press 55, overhead press 45-50, barbell rows 60. These are the exercises in Stronglifts 5x5.

I started lifting weights because I wanted to be able to lift my 55 lbs son. Now I can pick him up and hold him!

I'm 45 and stronger than I have ever been!

After my 5K I'm considering NROLFAbs, the new book. My other fitness board gives it rave reviews.

Carry on!

Shari

Nice lifts!! I think I am doing Stronglifts next...I'm starting the second round of 6 workouts in stage 7 then I am done!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Rachel Cosgrove "Female body breakthrough" workouts? Not that I am anywhere near being done with NROLFW, but I had heard that her workouts might be really good for fat loss.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had a friend send me a copy of his book of the NROL. Since I can't find the book anywhere to download and I can't afford a hard copy is this OK for a women to use? I really like the writing style.

I've been told a number of times on here that machines are bad. I'm terrified to walk over to the free weights where the men are and do free weights. I'm scared I'm going to hurt myself!
  • baisleac
    Options
    I had a friend send me a copy of his book of the NROL. Since I can't find the book anywhere to download and I can't afford a hard copy is this OK for a women to use? I really like the writing style.

I've been told a number of times on here that machines are bad. I'm terrified to walk over to the free weights where the men are and do free weights. I'm scared I'm going to hurt myself!

The original NROL are fine for anyone. My husband is doing the NROLFW with me. When we're done with it we'll both be moving on to the NROL workouts.

The machines aren't bad, per se, but they can lead to bad habits (and some truly are bad. Smith Machine, I'm lookin' at you).

My best advise is to either just suck it up and head over to the free weights (you might be surprised how willing the guys will be to help you) or get a personal trainer for a session or two to walk you through the proper forms.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Just finished Stage 1 (plus Insanity mixed in for Cardio- http://nrowfizs.blogspot.com). Results!

Start date July 5

Weight - down 3.2 lbs
    BF% - down 2.85%
    LBM - up 2.04 lbs
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Before I go to any new gym, I'm always sort of terrified of it. I usually get a guy friend to come with me the first time. After that, I'm fine. Maybe you could rope a friend (male or female!) to come with you to make the experience less intimidating.

I also think baisleac is right on: getting one of the gym employees or a trainer to show you around would probably be super helpful - they can show you where things are and probably answer any questions about how to perform the moves. If you go during off-peak hours, there likely won't be too many guys in the free weight section, so that might take some of the "scariness" out. :)

And then once you know where everything is/how to use everything, you'll be golden! I actually never feel intimidated or scared in the weight room any more. Yes, there are lots of burly guys who lift crazy heavy, but I know I'm not competing with them, and they know they're not competing with me, hehe. Good luck!!
  • kensky
    Options
    I just ended my "active rest" week and started on my first workout of Stage 7. Ugh. I mean, yay! I am trying to cultivate the mindset that when it starts out this hard (high reps are not my thing) then I will be ultra-super chuffed toward the end when I start to rock it. Today just involved lots and lots of sweating. One thing I need to do next time is probably lower my weights by 5 lbs or so. I thought I lowered them enough but I was probably clinging to the last few Stages heavy weight/lower reps poundage and I was feeling it. The deadlifts were going to kill me!

Lozze, machines ARE bad! Hah, really now they might not be bad (better than just sitting around, I'm sure) but free weights are so much better. I was intimidated when I first started but the thing that really helped me (to the point of chin out cockiness) was noticing how many of the big dudes monopolizing the squat rack are doing inexplicable things like variations on a bicep curl or using awful form whilst attempting to bench press a zillion pounds when it would be far better to leave half the plates on the rack and actually use proper form. I may not be able to lift much now but my form is pretty great and it shows. Or at least, it's starting to!

baisleac, I wish I'd done a better job documenting my progress. That is on my list of Things I Must Do when I get to the my next round of whatever I am doing. Your progress has been great!

Duckpond, one of my fitness gurus is Krista Scott-Dixon of the stumptuous blog/site and she thinks very highly of Rachael Cosgrove. I'm looking to do more of a straightforward powerlfting-ish weight program next go around but I bet her plan is pretty amazing.