New Rules of Lifting for Women group?

Options

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options

Try it again with the protein powder and without the agave syrup. I have a frozen strawberry smoothie with a whopping spoonful of greek yogurt and a scoop of protein powder (26 grams) every morning and it keeps me full for at least a couple of hours. No added sugars - but I have been putting in a handful of spinach this week and like it fine!

Does the protein powder have any "sweetness" to it (mine hasn't shipped from amazon yet)? Because I was using 6 ounces of the plain greek yogurt and without sweetening it, it'll make your cheeks pucker!!

Oh! I rolled the thread!!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Try it again with the protein powder and without the agave syrup. I have a frozen strawberry smoothie with a whopping spoonful of greek yogurt and a scoop of protein powder (26 grams) every morning and it keeps me full for at least a couple of hours. No added sugars - but I have been putting in a handful of spinach this week and like it fine!

Does the protein powder have any "sweetness" to it (mine hasn't shipped from amazon yet)? Because I was using 6 ounces of the plain greek yogurt and without sweetening it, it'll make your cheeks pucker!!

Woo thread rolling! :)

Whether your protein powder has sweetness or not depends on what protein powder you've ordered. I have the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard ones in Extreme Milk Chocolate, Mocha Cappuccino, and Vanilla Creme, and they all have sweetness to them (I'm assuming it's artificial sweetener, but that doesn't really bother me).

I think most protein powders usually have some sort of sweetener to make them palatable, but I know you can get the unflavoured kind, too.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Yay, new thread!

And I did 1B2 last night, and I'm STILL able to walk today! Hooray! Of course, I did NOT increase my weight on lunges, and I actually only did 12 reps each set, not 15, because I just didn't think I could push out any more. I'm thinking that next B workout, instead of increasing weight and doing 12 reps/set as the program says, I'll leave the weight the same and just try to make it to 15 reps this time.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I was wondering why that lock appeared!

The protein powder I use doesn't have any sweetness, because it's 100% Whey Protein Isolate. If you bought a flavored protein powder, then it probably does have sweetness added. Honestly, the strawberries I put in my smoothie are sweet enough! It's like having a shake every morning, I love it!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Phew, found the new thread :).

Do you guys do any warmups? I have a confession - I am lazy and just walk around for 5 minutes first and then jump right in.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options

Do you guys do any warmups? I have a confession - I am lazy and just walk around for 5 minutes first and then jump right in.

I "fake" jumprope for a minute or two (fake b/c if I tried it with a real jumprope I'd fall on my a**). and then I do the stretching things in the book.

So do you all do the "pre-lifting" stuff he says to do? Lifting with 50% weight before you start? I only do it on the first lift of the routine. then i forget all about it.

the protein powder I ordered is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in some kind of chocolate.

Oh - and the health food store was out of Ezekiel (sp?) bread. Do they sell if in regular grocery stores? If so, anywhere special in the store?
  • duckpond11
    Options

I "fake" jumprope for a minute or two (fake b/c if I tried it with a real jumprope I'd fall on my a**). and then I do the stretching things in the book.

So do you all do the "pre-lifting" stuff he says to do? Lifting with 50% weight before you start? I only do it on the first lift of the routine. then i forget all about it.

the protein powder I ordered is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in some kind of chocolate.

Oh - and the health food store was out of Ezekiel (sp?) bread. Do they sell if in regular grocery stores? If so, anywhere special in the store?

Do you have a whole foods or something like that in your town? They sell it there, and in some regular grocery stores if they have a natural food section. It is refridgerated, so look in the refridgerators.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I don't lose the new thread!
  • duckpond11
    Options
    I did 12 good 30% incline pushups today in my first set. The second, I could only do about 8 or so, but I am seeing definite improvement in pushup land. yay! I think in a few weeks I might be ready for real deal pushups.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    whew found the new thread...

i'm not sure if i missed the responses to my question at the end of the last thread but:

Does anyone have any pointers on doing dead lifts properly? I seem to have to put my feet farther than shoulder width apart and turn my toes slightly out so that i can squat down low with out my heels lifting but then my knees/arms get awkwardly in the way...is this okay? It hurt my lower back a bit and i'm not sure if this is just weak muscle or a sign im doing something wrong.

Also, I increased my calories since i've been hungry lately...did anyone else need to do this after staring the program? Success with it?

and lastly, does anyone have any progress pics from stating/finishing the program?
  • elizabethblake
    Options

I do 5 minutes on the elliptical to warm up. I've been doing one set of warm-ups for squats (with 2/3 of the weight, less reps) but not the other exercises and I'm going to start - my second set is usually easier and my form is better, so I'm going to take the time to do warm up sets for every exercise. I'm like Bif - I forget about the warm up sets after the first one!

Today I do the fifth workout of Stage 1A! That means three sets, which means less cardio time. Keeping the faith that I'll still be burning fat...
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    whew found the new thread...

i'm not sure if i missed the responses to my question at the end of the last thread but:

Does anyone have any pointers on doing dead lifts properly? I seem to have to put my feet farther than shoulder width apart and turn my toes slightly out so that i can squat down low with out my heels lifting but then my knees/arms get awkwardly in the way...is this okay? It hurt my lower back a bit and i'm not sure if this is just weak muscle or a sign im doing something wrong.

Also, I increased my calories since i've been hungry lately...did anyone else need to do this after staring the program? Success with it?

and lastly, does anyone have any progress pics from stating/finishing the program?

I wish I could help! I follow the instructions in the book for dead lifts and haven't had back issues. I don't do that much of a squat picking up the dead lift, well, maybe I do, but it doesn't feel like I'm really doing a squat. Hmmm...

I increased my calories at the start of the program and I usually eat about half my exercise calories, more if I'm hungry. As long as it's good, healthy food, if I'm hungry, I'm going to eat it!
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I watched some online videos for the dead lifts and am hoping it'll help. I just think my back is really weak so hopefully this will strengthen it.

I think increasing calories was the way to go, i have way more energy now and feel good. The scale is up but i'll give my body a few weeks to adjust to heavy lifting before I change anything else.

Work out B #2 is tomorrow...man do I hate rest days!
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I watched some online videos for the dead lifts and am hoping it'll help. I just think my back is really weak so hopefully this will strengthen it.

I think increasing calories was the way to go, i have way more energy now and feel good. The scale is up but i'll give my body a few weeks to adjust to heavy lifting before I change anything else.

Work out B #2 is tomorrow...man do I hate rest days!

Ha, me too! I'm always happy to come back to work/the gym on Mondays!

Re: increasing calories - I don't feel like I want to kill someone any more. The more I read, the more it makes sense to not go below your BMR - ever! We aren't working this hard just to cannibalize our muscles.

My back has been sore too but I think it's from the prone jackknives. Stabilizing the core is something new to me! It's been my lower back and sides that are sore, which is good because that means I'm working those areas.
  • duckpond11
    Options
    I did 3 sets of 10 good pushups today (30% incline)! To quote my daughters potty training book, "I'm so proud of me!" :).
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I did 3 sets of 10 good pushups today (30% incline)! To quote my daughters potty training book, "I'm so proud of me!" :).

And you should be!!!

Do you have a favorite workout - A or B? I'm partial to A, probably because I've been squatting longer than lunging. I had knee problems when I started working out and it hurt to lunge, but didn't hurt to do squats. However, lunges don't hurt any more, yay! Well, other than the soreness...
  • duckpond11
    Options
    I don't think I have a preference. I like the squats, rows, and pushups of A, but the step ups and prone jackknifes kill me. I dislike the deadlifts in B, but like the shoulder press and lat pulldown. Lunges I dislike, crunches I like. I am looking forward to moving to stage 2, although it will be a little bit longer for me since the first couple weeks I was only about to strength train 2x a week instead of 3. Tomorrow I do stage 1, workout 5B.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I'm not that much ahead of you! Are you planning to do that two special workouts at the end? I am, just for giggles.
  • AggieCass09
    Options
    i prefer a to b due to the squats included in a and dead lifts NOT included in a. dead lifts are evil. Now that ive confirmed that i'm not pregnant, i'm gonna hit it hard today after work with Work Out B #2! I haven't lifted since Sunday and am looking forward to keeping up the toning!
  • duckpond11
    Options
    I'm not that much ahead of you! Are you planning to do that two special workouts at the end? I am, just for giggles.

I don't know yet - we'll see.

Next week is going to be challenging. Holiday on Monday (is my gym even open, I don't know...), then out of town for a few days for work. Hopefully the hotel has a decent gym.