What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Jachnoon... its a childhood meal that basically consists of rolled dough and butter. The best thing since sliced bread. Or even before sliced bread. I used to eat 2 pieces a weekend, easy. Then I found out it had over 1,500 in a small piece. Bummer.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    when i started to pay attention to my sodium, i was shocked to see how much sodium is in everything. i didn't realize just how bad all that processed stuff was for me. and if you eat out, forget about staying under your sodium goal unless you do some research beforehand and are VERY careful and selective!

Absolutely!!

I am also amazed at the high calorie content of a banana, BUT they are incredibly sustaining. I honestly don't much like bananas but as a busy working mom on the go, I have been taking one with me for mid-morning snacks because they will get my metabolism back up, and hold me out for a long time. Worth the calories to me.

Truthfully, I am shocked at any calorie count in restaurant food. I love to cook, so I make things at home, take careful note of everything I add, put it in the recipe calculator and it's a fraction of what it would have been out. My most recent shocker was the Spinach and Artichoke Baked Egg Souffle I had at Panera today. Almost 600 calories? WHAT?? :noway: I looked it up after I ordered it (which I know better than to do) but had an impatient line behind me. So I only ate half. How absurd!!
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm so shocked by calories in walnut halves. Apparently 14 halves are 185 calorie! Thank goodness I only had half of that.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants have very good choices but then BAM I find that one of my favorite meals has anywhere from 1200 to 2000 calories! Christ.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This was actually prior to MFP, but I LOVE the pecan crusted chicken salad at TGIFridays. Thought that this was a really good choice with chicken and salad...The author of "Eat This, Not That" was on a TV show and said it was better to have a cheeseburger and fries because the salad had 1400 calories and something like 80 grams of fat!! I was devastated!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado has 15g of fat. FIFTEEN.
    :frown:

And it's a very good fat to have. Not that other nasty kind of fat.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Just about everything at Chilis....one of my favorite restaurants....and it just seems there isn't anything low calorie there....ick....

As someone who used to work there I have to agree! If it wasn't for running around like chickens with our heads cut off most servers would be extremely overweight. Just as a side note the healthiest thing there is the margarita chicken I believe. All their nutritional info can be found online and we used to always try to find "healthy" ways to eat menu items there.

I always have the margarita chicken there. It's excellent! But high in sodium like everything else when u eat out.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday's Smokehouse burger... 1219 calories! Holy moly! Although I get it plain, no mayo, lettuce etc... Of course i do get the bbq sauce though and the onion straws and pickles... No ketchup or mustard though... The only condiment I do is bbq sauce ever... Not really too fond of their fries though...

the count in almost all veggies surprised me as well. very very low. Good thing I love them so much!

Oh, and a long time ago I used to eat a whole order of their cheese fries by myself as my meal... shocking that it is lower in calories than the burger to eat that whole appetizer...