What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry :laugh:

For me it's a large bowl of nachos with sour cream/salsa/guacamole/cheese. I used to eat these all the time, I looked on the menu last night and it was 1460 calories and 8.9 grams of salt (i don't know how to calculate the sodium but I know it's a hell of a lot). The only thing I can be thankful for is that I used to split it!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My "holy crap" moments (yes, moments in plural...) were:

1.) My husband and I went out with my mom, her husband, and a couple of friends and we ate Taco Bell. I got my (used-to-be) normal meal of 1 beefy 5-layer burrito, 1 regular bean burrito no onions and a soda and it was crazy calories!!!

2.) My other "holy crap moment" was when my husband and I got a large stuffed crust pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut and some breadsticks. I ate 2 slices of pizza and 2 breadsticks and it was over 1,000 calories WITHOUT COUNTING THE DIPPING SAUCE OF THE STICKS!!!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Beer! I knew it was high but I'm definitely a beer snob - most of the high end beers and barley wines I love and used to drink 3 - 4 of a weekend aren't even IN my diet any more because of it!

Also all of those granola/fiber one bars ... I bought a box the other day not paying attention and realized that they're 140 calories a piece! EEK!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    a golden delicious apple large (100 calories) REALLY!! then Pizza, I knew it couldnt be good but the real # blew me away!
  • celeste_xo
    Options
    I have always known that ranch dressing is high in calories and fat, but until I started tracking what I ate and how much ranch dressing I put on everything, I didn't realize just HOW MANY calories I was eating JUST from the ranch dressing alone! I'm slowly trying to overcome my "ranch addiction," but it isn't easy....

Omg, I'm the same way about ranch! I eat it on EVERYTHING! I had to stop eating pizza just because I always put so much ranch on it that it almost doubles my calories :( I cringe at the thought of how many calories I would eat before when I'd have like 3 pieces of pizza and breadsticks and chicken wings covered in ranch... oh noooo
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Pasta surprised me. I knew it was high in calories but I did not realize how high...especially compared to veggies.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like to cook from scratch and one thing that I treat myself to is homemade bread.

When working from scratch I put the recipe in through MFP database to see what the calorie per serving is.

I'm totally shocked at how many of the calories comes from the flour!!

I would have thought that for baked goods that the killer ingredients was butter or sugar, but flour is 1600 cals/cup!!
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. Yeah, I know. They're a big NO NO. I was way under my calories the other day and these frosted strawberry pop tarts were calling my name. I ate a package thinking they would be maybe a couple hundred calories. They were...each. One package of 2 pop tarts has 400 calories. Put me way over my goal for the day. :cry:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Just about everything at Chilis....one of my favorite restaurants....and it just seems there isn't anything low calorie there....ick....
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Definately Olive Garden's Salad...!!! Happy I checked BEFORE going!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5768506.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Avocado.

I actually expected MORE. lol.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    A cinnamon sugar cookie from Quiznos - 390 calories! I REALLY was shocked even though it was a cookie :)
    I can do one better. A sugar cookie from Potbelly's (and, MAN, are they delicious!) is 550 calories! After I found that out, I never had another one. This was prior to me joining MFP too.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I find that anything in a restaraunt is high. My real suprise was that most pizza places seem to have better calorie counts than a regular family restaraunt.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Walnuts at about 200 an ounce.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nuts ( especially cashews)
    Pizza
    Almost anything at a fast food place
    Subway cookies ( a small cookie is about 220 calories)
    Bagels
    Lara Bars
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just about everything at Chilis....one of my favorite restaurants....and it just seems there isn't anything low calorie there....ick....

As someone who used to work there I have to agree! If it wasn't for running around like chickens with our heads cut off most servers would be extremely overweight. Just as a side note the healthiest thing there is the margarita chicken I believe. All their nutritional info can be found online and we used to always try to find "healthy" ways to eat menu items there.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    Cafe Latte with low fat milk and no sweetener - over 200 Cals - never expected that
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado has 15g of fat. FIFTEEN.
    :frown:
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Last week I went at BOLOCOS and ate a delicious burritos. The SMALL one. My Wifi didn't worked so I only checked the calories after.
    ...and the effing burritos contained more than 700 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanted to die!

Ah and I was surprised at how small a portion of rice or pasta is. I measured them. It's insane. I used to eat 4 or 5 times that portion...eeeekc
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Ribs. They are mostly inedible BONES! A rack of ribs is 1200 calories or something.