Fit For Future Families - April 2011

Options

Replies

• AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Jalara-Hope this is your cycle! I am about 1.5 weeks behind you.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Ivy - I think, if they've already checked the tubes, you're probably still good. They tend to close after either a traumatic experience or an STD (unless they were always that way), either of which would have been noted by your doc and you'd already be getting re-tested. It could be lots of things - knowing all the things that can go wrong with an embryo makes me wonder sometimes about the ability of humans to reproduce in general. Only about 1 in about 2 fertilized eggs even get past that stage into embryo - sometimes they "arrest". They aren't sure why.....sometimes it could be genetics, sometimes it could be environment, sometimes it could be stress.....there are lots of possibles and no definites. As for the weight loss, definitely try more small meals through the day and I've found upping the protein helps a lot (just don't up the sugar and fat like I did this last week as well!!! LOL) Things will fall into place when they are meant to....I know that's horrible to hear - I'm sure you've been told a million times, but.....it's the only reason I can think that we've been waiting so long.......I know it'll happen for you!!! With PCOS, avoid soy in anything....soy is a xenoestrogen that can throw your hormones out of whack - so try and opt for other choices :) While doing my HSG, the doctor felt that since I was "classic" PCOS that it was time to bring in all the interns and the U/S staff and show everyone what PCOS looked like.....LOL but no one has ever told me whether or not it's been a long time since I've ovulated....so that's still confusing to me....I thought cysts interfered, not completely blocked ovulation (especially if you temp and all the hormones act normally - they don't tend to do that if you don't ovulate)...heh....learn something new every day :)

HMKan - 4 months is really not that long - if we ovulated every night, that would be a long time, but you've only had 4 shots at it :) That's still learning in my books - there is also so much to learn about it that I'd be surprised if you knew it all :flowerforyou: I have a few charts up on fertility friend (ignore my current cycle....LOL It's horrible) http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/165835 Hopefully that will help with whether you're doing it right or not - are there any specific questions? I definitely know that devastated feeling :cry: The only thing I can say to help is try and find something else to focus on right now, besides the charting and the rest of it.....at this point, you've done all you can this cycle so it's time to try and relax (which if there is a fertilized eggie, is the best thing to try and help it stick)......if you enjoy photography or crafting or reading or anything, now's the time to really engage in it....PS. you were never the annoying kid.....LOL

Crabin - Good points on the Clomid!! Notes on the Robitussen - make sure not to get the kind that helps clear a runny nose....LOL that will have the opposite effect on the CM (dry it up, like it does for nasal mucous). I've heard good and bad things about baby aspirin, so definitely check with the doctor before trying it again. They also recommend it to people with cardiovascular disease to help thin the blood - it has a similar effect on the uterine lining (or so I've read). If you want to try herbal remedies, definitely do your research, but vitex is supposed to be stellar as far as regulating cycles goes. Personally, I'm trying to remove the sugars from my diet (completely unsuccessfully it would seem). I know sugars mess with insulin levels and since I'm insulin resistant (my body overreacts to sugars being input into the body by over producing insulin) with PCOS, the insulin levels then mess with the levels of the reproductive hormones all of which leads to irregular cycles........hence the prescription for most PCOSers trying to conceive of Metformin (an insulin stabilizing drug).

AFM: Phew, that was a major brain dump......LOL now all I have left is sympathy and encouragement :laugh: I watched Jamie Oliver Food Revolution last night and I kind of wish I hadn't......"sigh" The pink slime that is chicken nuggets is apparently allowed in most ground beef, up to 15%. I stopped eating McNuggets after seeing the slime and now...ground beef (especially the finely minced stuff) is off my list....so much for the rest of the lasagna in the fridge......From now on, I'm going to watch my butcher grind up fresh steaks......my pocket book will hate me, but I absolutely can't do it......This clean eating stuff is really tough........BTW, I re-added the old ticker.......thanks for the suggestion Jalara :)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took me awhile to post my weigh in. I am down one pound- Not splurging paid off and I’m very happy!

Pam- I’m sorry your body is being funky and not showing what it should! You have done a great job this week so try to not let it bother you- maybe next week will show all the work you are putting in.

Jalara- Congratulations on the loss this week that is awesome!

MrsHinds- What is the name of the yoga tape? Sounds like a winner. I’ve been thinking about starting yoga but don’t have the courage to join the class at the gym because it is always the same ladies and I would stand out like a sore thumb. Starting out with a tape is more me.

Ivy- yes I remember you…Hawaii that is my home (well, where I was born and raised). Have fun I’m very envious!

Crabin- baby asprin? Really? I’m going to read up on that and maybe give it a try.

AFM- I’m sick!!! Went to the doctor today after work and confirmed that I have bronchitis. Second time this school year so very bummed and hoping my z-pac works quick so I can get my energy back. I’m also having some early cramps so not sure if AF is arriving early or…(I know better than to get my hopes up at this point, but this is not normal for me.) All in all feeling really crappy today, at least I lost weight this week.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    crabin - thanks for the thoughts! I also hope this is your cycle!!! I also wanted to add that aspirin is really dangerous to take, even baby aspirin - that really needs to be under physician supervision, and there are A LOT of conditions that aspirin can harm - it's not even supposed to be used as a regular headache treatment anymore.
    I only say this because I have found that TTC forums can be taken too seriously, and methods can be adopted by anyone without them really looking into it or talking to their health care team - just the advice of a student nurse!

HMKan - I do agree with Pam that 4 months isn't that long, but when I was at the 4 month mark someone else scoffed it off and told me not to be upset.... so I will NEVER do that! 4 months can seem like forever, but I want you to know that it does get easier and there really is only a small chance each cycle. I recommend looking up The Great Sperm Race on youtube (there are 5 parts, if I remember right) - it's very eye opening! Also - I've got some skills at reading charts, so let me know if I can help you out :) I think you'll find a lot of support here.

MrsHinds - I love the approach you're taking (nutrition wise) - sounds like you're headed for success!

Ivy - ovulation, by definition, is releasing an egg, but you can have your period without ovulating - many women do - it's called an anovulatory cycle. a cyst is a egg that developed, didn't release and didn't get reabsorbed. They can be a little dangerous for some people, but not a big deal for others. Considering that you were on Clomid though, they're a very common side effect - one of the worst. One of the ways that Clomid works is that it not only stimulates ovulation, it also stimulates the maturing of "better quality" eggs which is what leads to progesterone (but you need to ovulate for that). SO from what you've told us I would say you must have ovulated when they did your progesterone test, but that you are either a) not ovulating each cycle, or b) maturing more than one egg due to the Clomid.
    Sorry - I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all!

I hope I answered everyone!

Also - they can tell if you ovulate with ultrsound - but they have a VERY small window to catch it.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Luki - bronchitis is the WORST!!!

Jalara - I remember catching the great sperm race on CBC when it came on tv......fascinating!!!! Definitely worth watching. Great points!!!!

AFM: bedtime......night all :)
  • AutumnisBSB
    Options
    Of course anyone going to take medication while ttc or pregnant should ask their dr. I know many women who baby aspirin was the key to them being able to carry the pregnancy to term. Just like everything I am sure there is controversy over it. Just letting everyone know what worked for me and others I know.

The best robitussin is actually just the generic guaifenesin. The hospital I work at (I am a nurse) is able to get a brand but I haven't seen it in the stores.

Since I am new here I do not know how much people know or don't know regarding TTC, medications etc. So if I say something that someone doesn't know about I hope they ask questions here, do research or talk to their dr before doing it.

Jalara-One of our doctors here says some new research shows that 650mg of aspirin is one of the best treatments for a migraine. I dunno.

Luki-Hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • ivygirl11
    ivygirl11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ivy, my doctor said that doing small meals throughout the day is the best way to lose weight, especially if you have PCOS. It's also good to focus on plant protiens like beans and nuts and try to avoid carbs. I've been doing it for about a month now and my clothes have already become loose! I haven't actually weighed in yet because I dont have a scale at home but I'm planning on getting one soon :) I actually combined the PCOS weight loss efforts and my efforts to get pregnant by looking up specific nuts, beans, veggies, etc. that promote fertility. It's been fun trying new things and I'm starting to see results!

Thats funny you mention this. I was watching Chelsie lately the other night and her traditionalist was on the show as her guest. I thought she looked really good with the weight she had lost and how tone she was. So I ordered his book called "Body Confidence" and its all about eating something every 2-3 hours... I CANT wait for it to come. I know that i am not eating enough throughout the day. I just will eat someting light and then have like a big meal later, lets just say thats not working out for me. I cant wait to try this. (actually tried it today). I felt like i was constantly eating but they were lower calorie type things that were still filling (nuts, cheese etc.)... Anyhow i just have to retrain my body :)
  • ivygirl11
    Options

Ivy - ovulation, by definition, is releasing an egg, but you can have your period without ovulating - many women do - it's called an anovulatory cycle. a cyst is a egg that developed, didn't release and didn't get reabsorbed. They can be a little dangerous for some people, but not a big deal for others. Considering that you were on Clomid though, they're a very common side effect - one of the worst. One of the ways that Clomid works is that it not only stimulates ovulation, it also stimulates the maturing of "better quality" eggs which is what leads to progesterone (but you need to ovulate for that). SO from what you've told us I would say you must have ovulated when they did your progesterone test, but that you are either a) not ovulating each cycle, or b) maturing more than one egg due to the Clomid.
    Sorry - I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all!

I hope I answered everyone!

Also - they can tell if you ovulate with ultrsound - but they have a VERY small window to catch it.

You totally didnt sound like a know it all. Im glad someone knows lol! I get a little overwhelmed with all of the doctor talk and then i loose all of what they told me, so sometimes i have to "re-ask" the question lol.

This last time when we did the IUI they did do an ultrasound to see if i ovulated and i did. But with the other doc. he didnt do things like that. He was just super basic.

So from what i was understanding he said cysts are eggs that had not been released with your period. With the number of them that i had in my ovaries thats how he gathered that i had not dropped an egg for so long. But he wasnt concerned that those cysts were dangerous or anything...

I appreciate you answering all of my questions, i hope im not too much of a bother :)
  • AutumnisBSB
    Options
    Pam-I have been on metformin for about 6 years now. Also have insulin resistance. PCOS is just such a lovely syndrome. :(
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I"ll try to keep it in perspective. I agree, hearing that it's only been 4 months is tough, because it's been forever in my book. It's 4 missed opportunities. I don't have anybody to talk to about this in my real life because I'm not ready for people to know we're trying (I'm terrified of failing at this so I'd rather wait until I know I can get pregnant before we tell people).

As for right now, I've had sort of pms cramps since Sunday, but no period yet. I'm due for my period on Friday. I've never had cramps this far in advance. I realize this isn't technically baby-related advice, but has anyone else experienced this?
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    Luki, I ordered my yoga DVD on amazon.com :) Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OVFAA4

I'm super interested to see how it works! But hey anything where I can combine weight loss with improving fertility is worth a shot!!! :)

I also ordered a book about foods to eat when trying to concieve that is really interesting. Some of their theories are common knowledge and others suprised me. But its based on years of studies and is a pretty good read :) Here's the link to that one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071627103
  • jalara
    Options
    HMKan - yeah - once I started to pay attention I realized that some months I get cramps like 3 days after ovulation! It doesn't mean much at this stage in my experience, but some women swear they know by the cramps. Sorry - there's nothing with TTC that's a straight answer it seems! The whole "every body is different" is a pain in the @ss!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I came across this forum and figured I would join in, if thats okay :smile:
    My husband and I have just decided to start trying after AF comes along ( due this weekend). I have been wanting this for awhile so I am so excited that my husband is finally ready! Eating healthier and exercising mean even more to me now knowing that it can help in my chances of conceiving!
  • jalara
    Options
    erileah - welcome! We're happy to have you!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Hey guys - just a quick post.....I totally fell apart after lunch today. I booked in my lunch and dinner and realized that even with a FULL dinner, my day would only be 600 cals, so I splurged at lunch (and then again at dinner! YIKES)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    MrsHinds- Thanks for message and the info on the yoga tape!

Just a quick post to say WELCOME to erileah!

After spending the whole day in a school district meeting I have decided I'm calling out! This think some sleep and another day of meds will do me good and get me back on my feet.
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey, I would love to join your group, My husband and I are TTC our second child. I had my IUD taken out January 24, 2011 and had a 5 day period 4 days later and nothing since, hope it works it self out soon! If I don't get my period this month I am making an app to see my doc.
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Sorry I haven't kept up lately. I hope everyone is doing well and moving that scale!!

ASM ... I've broken through my plateau and lost 3 lbs!! I increased my water intake and that seemed to be the magic trick. I don't exactly get how that helps, but I'm drinking water like crazy and visiting the ladies room an obscene number of times a day, but it's well worth it!
  • ivygirl11
    Options
    I fail... got subway on the way home from work today :(... why do i have to pass so many fast food joints on the way home...
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Sorry for not being here for ages but I do have some news. I tested today (at 11 DPO so AF isn't due for another 4 days) and got a BFP!