Fit For Future Families - April 2011

Options

Replies

• pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Pam! Big hugs to all of you who are having a tough time now, I think you've all held your composure better than I could!

We've been trying for just over a year now ( a year and three months). Didn't lose any weight htis week although didn't gain any either. I've done loads more exercise than usual so maybe that has something to do with it?
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Week 1 - 229
    Week 2 - 228 (-1.0 lb)

I'm going to do what you do Pam! I like the way you break it down :)

So good weekend on my end. We did our security clearances for the adoption today - will have everything else done tomorrow.

Now in major study mode for the next 2 weeks. No time to chat today, but I'm here if anyone needs me!

ETA - yesterday was final dose of Clomid for the month. Here we go again...
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Or at least hopefully a not too stressful Monday!

Pam Happy Birthday (a day late)! I see it went well, except for the burn. :)

Kah - Good Luck with your appointment!

AFM - DH and I made up. He called from work to apologize and said it was all his fault, no excuses, so that's all taken care of. :happy: Plus! Yesterday we went to Disneyland (we have annual passes) with another couple. We found out they have passes as well, will be spending more time with us, AND us girls are both on MFP and charting! She's TTA and I'm TTC, but still, it was nice to have someone to discuss calories all day with.

Also - DH and I have an opportunity for new jobs at a boarding school for troubled teens. Exciting! But we are visiting next week and I want to look my best! So towards that I have new goals for the week. I gained, but that may have just been too much sodium from Disneyland.

Drink 8 glasses of H2O daily
    Fit it 3 workouts
    Fast food less than 3 times this week

Fast food makes me feel gross. It's official. It needs to be gone from my life. Not really even treats - it makes me feel so bad.

Good luck with your goals everyone! Don't worry if you gained or maintained - you can do it!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    PIxie - yeah - if you work out more than normal, your muscles may be retaining water (to help them heal - when you work out you are actually creating little tears in the muscles) so that might well be the case :)

Thanks Jalara :) I like that I can see trends over a few weeks (and it makes it super easy to update, just find last Mon and copy and paste then add a week). A pound is awesome!!!!

Dragon - My Sisters walked in yesterday and said How on earth did you get burned??? LOL Goals look good.

That reminds me, I haven't set mine in a while, so for a new month, some new goals:
    1. Get 14 glasses of water (half my body weight in ounces) daily
    2. Eat half the amount of carbs in protein
    3. Exercise at least 3 times this week (135 minutes total for the week)
    4. Only eat out once all week (Thursday lunch)
    5. Spend 5 minutes twice a day reflecting on the positive things in my life
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

5. Spend 5 minutes twice a day reflecting on the positive things in my life

Love this!!!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Oooo, Pam, I like goal #5--I know I could use a bit more mindfulness of the good things in my life, right?

Well, today was the big appointment. (Long post ahead--I'm processing, so feel free not to read if you aren't interested.)

It went very well, all things considered. The Dr was very nice, and she explained stuff well. There are some more tests she wants me to have, including the dye in the tubes thingy-ugh, and hubby will be doing a SA. Get this-- they don't even have a "collection" room at the place we are going. They give everyone a take home "kit" and they said we have 2 hours to get the specimen to them. I think hubs was relieved. She did say that according to my test results and the bloodwork I had done before I started Clomid that she thinks I do ovulate sporadically on my own--not very strong, but that I do. So, that's something, right? Because of timing and all, and the tests I need to get done before we can start meds, this cycle is no good because I'm just about ready to ovulate/pretend I'm ovulating. Next cycle, I'll get the dye test done, and the other stuff, and then the NEXT cycle (June, I guess) we'll do treatment. She said that would relieve some of the time pressure and stress, and perhaps I'd come up with a positive on my own before we start treatment. (I was like, yeah right. I was impressed with her optimism though...I guess she has to be.)

The finances are still a huge looming issue, but we think we can swing this first cycle based on the numbers they gave us, and hopefully we will qualify for a little discount since we don't make above a certain amount...then we'll have to see where we are if it doesn't work. After our talk today, assuming that all of our test results come back normal, I don't think hubs is invested in the IVF route if IUI doesn't work. I think he's thinking 2-3 cycles max (if we can afford it), and if that doesn't work, then we are a three-person family unless mother nature decides otherwise. I'm comfortable with that decision right now. Right now. We'll see where we are if it doesn't work...but we'll cross that bridge later, or hopefully NOT, right?

I will be taking ClomID again, so that's a downer, but since it probably won't be for another month or two, I figure I have the in-between time to try to get off a few more pounds. This past week is the first since I started ClomID back in January that I have felt a little in control of what I'm eating, rather than just trying to survive without eating a shetland pony or snapping someone's head off when they irritate me. We'll see how it goes. Funny story--the Dr asked me how I did on Clomid--I told her Clomid made me crazy. She got all worried--I forgot that some people actually do get psychotic on Clomid. I was like "Nonononononooooo--that's not what I meant. I didn't mean CLINICALLY crazy....just "I'm PMSing on steroids don't mess with me" crazy. She was like Okay...that's doable. So there will also be some inject-able meds and progesterone supplements to try to help. I am calling it "the works".

We talked a bit today after the appt...just processing and trying to figure out where we are. I was fine until I started talking about feeling guilty about this whole process. Then the tears started flowing....which normally is okay, but we were sitting in McDonalds. Ugh. I'm so sick of feeling guilty about this. I'm okay about feeling mad and sad about infertility and having to deal with this, and I'm even okay with my husband feeling mad and sad at me about this from time to time (He tries to keep it from me, but I know he does), but I'm sick of feeling guilty about it. We both know it's not my fault this happened, so I'm trying to let that go. So hard...but it's a goal. Mad and Sad are okay--guilt is not...it's not my fault, and it's not helping. Hubs tried to make me feel better--he said "Well, after my SA, I might be part of the problem". I told him that didn't really make me feel better, but thanks for trying.

So, all things considered, I'm going to call it a win that I was only over my calories by about 100 today. Especially when that included a Reeses McFlurry and Chicken McNuggets.

Night all...I'm going to bed early. Baby dust to all.....
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Andrea and Kah I was thinking the same thing...Pam I'll stealing you last goal!

Chii- Welcome!

I weighed in today and it was better than I expected after all that sodium this weekend. I'm down 1/2 a pound, but I'm not going to log it until it is a full pound (hopefully on Friday or maybe I'll just wait until next Monday).

I really issue O would get off of coming on Mondays/Tuesday because it doesn't work with my husband's work scheule....UGH!!!!! Very Frustrated! Of course, I know this comes with AF coming off schedule and I don't like that idea either :grumble:

My goal this week is to try to relax and not stress about Friday. Whatever the process is that is in front of us, it is better to know...right?
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Ive been TTC for a few months - finding it difficult because I dont O. I was on the pill for 10 years and havent had much luck since being off of it. Its been 5 months, seeing AF once. I am worried I may have PCOS.. I am hoping my body is still recouping from the pill. I am going to do my best to lose weight over the next few months. In November it will be one year of TTC and one year off of the pill. If things dont regulate Im going to talk to my dr and see whaat the next step is. Hopefully I will have lost enough weight that TTC is not as difficult.

Here is to a wonderful.. painful,... and worth it journey

future kiddies - cant wait to meet you
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Karen *hugs* You'll have answers soon and can take a few months off heavy duty trying.....My DH prefers that at home kit - just make sure you know exactly where that lab is. You have a certain amount of time to do it and they hve to be accepting samples at the time (ours is only for 30 minutes in the mornings). I know him saying that it could be him too didn't make you feel too much better, but let me tell you, it removes the guilt completely. We've noticed that since my cycles started regulating, he's been feeling more and more guilty because now it's mostly him (I don't feel it, that's him telling me why he is getting frustrated!) Until you do the dye, just relax. Focus on you - you need to be healthy and happy to carry a healthy and happy baby and so you are critical to the process :)

LUki - you got it :) Friday sounds like a long way away - why worry....just keep doing what you're doing (although drinking lots of water will help with the sodium and you'll see the results :)

Chii - What makes you think PCOS? It sure is a worthwhile journey - just wish it wasn't so long.....LOL

AFM: I stepped on the scale today and OMG!!!! I would like to think I'm going to wait until Friday to log (like Luki) and I don't officially weigh in here until Monday, but I'm out of the 230s....About Freaking TIME!!!!! I've been stuck between 230-240 since November. That means I hit 60 lbs lost!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO......I actually shrieked a little bit. Then DH got on the scale and Blam-o he was down under 260 for the first time in about 10 years........(but he's 6'4 so..........LOL he's only got another 30 or so to lose). It was a happy morning at our house....LOL YAY! I probably will log it, just because I"m so flipping excited!!!
  • jalara
    Options
    Chii - how do you know you don't ovulate? Do you chart?

Pam - congratulations! That's a great way to start the day! Super happy for you!

AFM - went to bed after a sigar fit last night - it was... embarrassing but I didn't get sugar, so okay. Then woke up a little cranky today. Hope this is hormones!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I need a big font to say HURRAY PAM!!!! That's awesome! Now don't go get a hot fudge brownie sundae to celebrate....stay strong!!! (That's what I'd be doing.)
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I need a big font to say HURRAY PAM!!!! That's awesome! Now don't go get a hot fudge brownie sundae to celebrate....stay strong!!! (That's what I'd be doing.)

I hadn't even thought of a hot fudge brownie sundae until now......LOL uh oh :noway: ......Just kidding......I'm having a hot dog for lunch (I'm not considering it "take out" because I get it outside.....LOL I"m not taking it out of anywhere....*sigh* I'm so weak.....at least I have to walk 10 minutes there and then 10 minutes back....

Jalara - you had a sigar fit?????? Is that Sugar or Cigar???? I'm thinking sugar, but just want to be sure :wink:
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    Pam-- CONGRATS!!

Chii-- welcome!!

So, has anyone else been crazy about all the extra fertility boosting stuff? Haha, I feel like a nut sometimes. I'm trying to drop about 60lbs, am taking prenatal vitamins each morning, just ordered my "yoga for fertility" dvd to go everyday, inquired about fertility accupuncture, and am starting to base my diet on the foods that are supposed to boost fertility. lol. The only diet suggestion that I'm wary of is changing all of my dairy products to full-fat, and compensating for those calories and fat levels elsewhere. Anything full-fat makes me very nervous!! What random "alternative methods" have you all used to boost fertility? How do you all feel about swapping your dairy products for the full fat equivelant?
  • jalara
    Options
    Jalara - you had a sigar fit?????? Is that Sugar or Cigar???? I'm thinking sugar, but just want to be sure :wink:

Oops - sugar. I had a sugar fit, and it wasn't pretty, lol. I was completely emotional because I wanted sugar at THAT VERY MOMENT. And as a cherry on top, my day today is sucking BIG time, so I'm feeling very angry and wanting to scream at the world.

Small example of my day so far: I need a pertussis shot for my nursing clinical placement, which is now given to adults (in Canada anyway). It's included with the Tetanus/Diptheria shot (all in one). But I had the Tetanus/Diptheria in 2005 so my family doctor refused me the Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis shot.... even though Public Health says I'm fine to take it. Ofcourse, this is after I waited an hour and 15 minutes past my original appointment time to even get called into her office.

Yup - I want to hit someone or something today.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Pam-- CONGRATS!!

Chii-- welcome!!

So, has anyone else been crazy about all the extra fertility boosting stuff? Haha, I feel like a nut sometimes. I'm trying to drop about 60lbs, am taking prenatal vitamins each morning, just ordered my "yoga for fertility" dvd to go everyday, inquired about fertility accupuncture, and am starting to base my diet on the foods that are supposed to boost fertility. lol. The only diet suggestion that I'm wary of is changing all of my dairy products to full-fat, and compensating for those calories and fat levels elsewhere. Anything full-fat makes me very nervous!! What random "alternative methods" have you all used to boost fertility? How do you all feel about swapping your dairy products for the full fat equivelant?

I hadn't switched them all - still doing 1% milk, but I did switch to regular yogurt, only because I realized that the low fat alternatives (Source, Silhouette) aren't really yogurt - they have no active cultures.....so aren't giving you the benefits of yogurt. I'm okay with that though - full fat stuff won't make you fat.....there are more calories in it though (and more nutrients) so you'll have to exercise more to eat the same or eat less BUT I only have 1-2 dairy products daily...I might switch to more milk fat in my milk though too...
  • fitterpam
    Options

Oops - sugar. I had a sugar fit, and it wasn't pretty, lol. I was completely emotional because I wanted sugar at THAT VERY MOMENT. And as a cherry on top, my day today is sucking BIG time, so I'm feeling very angry and wanting to scream at the world.

Small example of my day so far: I need a pertussis shot for my nursing clinical placement, which is now given to adults (in Canada anyway). It's included with the Tetanus/Diptheria shot (all in one). But I had the Tetanus/Diptheria in 2005 so my family doctor refused me the Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis shot.... even though Public Health says I'm fine to take it. Ofcourse, this is after I waited an hour and 15 minutes past my original appointment time to even get called into her office.

Yup - I want to hit someone or something today.

I totally feel your pain! I am sooooo proud that you didn't have the sugar (I have been known to cry because I'm not getting what I want right then....my DH is a STRONG man......) I have to let him control the sugar because I have no willpower there!!

As for the pertussis shot, is it only available in the all in one? They probably wouldn't stock it unless in all in one so have to special order it. Could you go to a public health location to take it instead? My old GP used to triple book all his timeslots so that was a regular occurrance (and if you didn't show up in time, you were pushed to the end)......
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you - do you take prenatal vitamins now? And do they make you nauseous? I figured I would take them as they have 100% of what I want in one pill instead of 3 or so, but if I'm not careful, they ruin my morning. Anyone else have this problem?
  • jalara
    Options
    Pam - pertussis is only available as part of a 3-in-1 shot. I'm still working on it. I talekd to someone at our local Public Health office, who put a call into Infectious Disease Control, and promised they'd have Infectious Disease straighten my doc out. Seriously though (and tell me if I'm out of line), isn't vaccination protocal amoung the basics of family medicine? My GP keeps making herself seem inept.

Dragonairis - PNV can make me ill sometimes - I'm sure to take my vitamins 30 minutes before I got to bed, that way I don't have a stomach full of water and they're out of my stomach by the time I wake up.
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    Dragonairis-- I've never had problems myself but I've had lots of friends who have. I've heard that taking it with a very-high protien meal helps. I personally can take it on an empty stomach and be fine, but maybe its the brand or something. Maybe try switching brands? It could be whatever they add to hold the pill together thats making you sick?
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Jalara - i know. My last family doctor didn't even do the vaccinations. My new GP has a lady on staff that does all her bloodwork and all her vaccinations and allergy shots......very happy with that.....but I don't know. I had my pertussis shot (right before I thought I had pertussis....LOL) Maybe it's time to look for a new GP.

Dragon - you should be taking them for about 3 months before getting pregnant (or so my old GP said - see note above though, I wasn't happy with him) so that your body is absorbing everything properly before getting pregnant and carrying a little bean. The most critical time for the prenatals to do their work is in very early pregnancy - from about 10 days to 6 weeks along so they say 3 months because many women don't know they're pregnant until Week 5-6 which is when they are most critical - that window is then missed. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I know a lot of people take theirs right before bed so they can sleep through the nausea the extra iron can sometimes cause.