can I start a PCOS Vent your frustrations Thread? lol

Options

Replies

• angela360
    Options
    I just found this thread and I LOVE IT!!!

It is so nice not be alone in this war against PCOS. Sometimes I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall trying to lose weight and get pregnant. A year and a half of exercising every day, living on a restricted diet, surgery to remove scare tissue from the cysts, fertility treatments....with zero results. Through blood sweat and tears I managed to lose twenty pounds, but I'm not even half way there and I've been doing everything the doctors say to do.... ahhhh!!! Thanks for letting me vent. It's so nice not to be alone in this.

Please feel free to friend me for added support. Hugs!!
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just came across this thread, and I just HAVE to reply to it.

Dear Poly Cystic FREAKING Ovarian Syndrome,

First of all, thank you for making me feel like a freak of nature while I was a teenager. To have severe acne is bad enough, but to have hair on top of that acne? REALLY?! COME ON! Being on Accutane sucked, in case you were wondering. And remember the time I got my facial hair lasered off, and then it came back? Or when it grew in ten times worse the second time? Now, I get to pay $216.37 a month for the next year of my own hard earned money to get rid of the hair you have so graciously given me A SECOND TIME. Now that I am getting it removed, I won't have to hide my face with hoodies or sweaters in social situations to cover up the hair. AND, I won't have to shave my face along side my husband in the morning anymore. (P.S. Thanks for the hair on my stomach and in my cleavage too)

The doctors didn't think I had PCOS while I was a teenager because I wasn't overweight, but OH HEY, I guess that was just something you were saving for later.

The only thing I can TRULY thank you for is that I haven't had any actual cysts in my ovaries. (Thank the Lord)

Now, I am on Metformin and Safryl (birth control) just to keep the symptoms under wraps. I pray EVERY DAY that when me and my husband want to have kids, that you haven't taken that away from me too. My future son, Zephaniah, will be the most beautiful little boy, whether you think I deserve him or not.

Most of all, YOU DON'T CONTROL ME. I will live a happy and fulfilling life despite your best efforts to keep me from such luxuries.

Thanks for nothing, JERK!

Yours truly, Raina
  • ke11ysue
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better! LOL.
    Dear PCOS,

Thanks for the excess facial hair, the incessive worrying about when/if i'm going to have a period and the lack of buns baking in my oven.

Love,
    Elaine

;) LOL
  • ke11ysue
    Options
    I noticed that when I do have periods I lose weight but when I don't, I don't. I gain instead. Fortunately I've been off birth control since April (trying to have babies) and so far so good on the cysts and the periods and now losing some weight. I'm sure I'll plateau as usual soon..
    Wow, I had no idea that this thread was out there! I am so glad I'm not the only one any more!

I've been on birth control for 10+ years, and have been officially diagnosed with PCOS for 2 years (though it's in my family and has been suspected much longer than that...). I recently came off birth control, as my hubby and I are planning on having kids some time in the next few years (ha!), but since then I CANNOT lose weight! I am working my butt off and nothing is happening! I can't be definite that the two are linked, but it does seem weird that the two coincide... I've never had problems losing weight in the (birth-controlled) past when I've put my mind to it...

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
  • ke11ysue
    Options
    I absolutely love this post! Thank you to whomever (sorry forgot your user name) set this up. None of my doctors that I've had in the past has any idea of what to do or give me any kind of advice about PCOS. I'm still learning about the disease and now since I know I'm not the only one out there (I never thought I was but this is just perfect). I can now come in here, read your stories and hopefully learn more, get advice and hopefully we can find a solution to our weight problem.

I remember when I was diagnosed and I asked my doc how I'm supposed to get the weight off and she said well, lets just say that being on the "Biggest Loser" is all you need. No life, no job, just working out 8 hours a day and eating exactly what they say.. we all know life isn't like that whatsoever. Then she said good luck and you can find out more about it on the internet...So sad!

2006, I quit drinking pop, lost 5lbs! Stopped eating out to fast food restaurants lost NOTHING! Ugh.. I thought I was doing good with the 5lbs. 5 years later, I was still 160 until recently I was just under a lot of stress and now I'm at 166, I just hope this isn't going to last long!

Anyway, I can't wait to read all the stories, get some ideas from y'all and hopefully can share some of my stories..

Kelly
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Just checking in on all of you wonderful strong women with a mission! Don't ever give up! No matter what!
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    I hate my family doc....he is so uneducated on pcos I feel like I have to school him on why im insulin resistant and why I lose weight slower than normal people while doing even harder workouts....its ridiculous. My gyn. On the other hand is amazing and highly informed on pcos. So I get good comments from her...on weightloss....but as for family dr....he tells me I must be eating too much and not working hard enough because im not losing fast enough...ugh!
    I absolutely love this post! Thank you to whomever (sorry forgot your user name) set this up. None of my doctors that I've had in the past has any idea of what to do or give me any kind of advice about PCOS. I'm still learning about the disease and now since I know I'm not the only one out there (I never thought I was but this is just perfect). I can now come in here, read your stories and hopefully learn more, get advice and hopefully we can find a solution to our weight problem.

I remember when I was diagnosed and I asked my doc how I'm supposed to get the weight off and she said well, lets just say that being on the "Biggest Loser" is all you need. No life, no job, just working out 8 hours a day and eating exactly what they say.. we all know life isn't like that whatsoever. Then she said good luck and you can find out more about it on the internet...So sad!

2006, I quit drinking pop, lost 5lbs! Stopped eating out to fast food restaurants lost NOTHING! Ugh.. I thought I was doing good with the 5lbs. 5 years later, I was still 160 until recently I was just under a lot of stress and now I'm at 166, I just hope this isn't going to last long!

Anyway, I can't wait to read all the stories, get some ideas from y'all and hopefully can share some of my stories..

Kelly
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My busy summer schedule is absolutely horrible for my workout regimen.........arrrrg!!!!!!!!!! And dieting alone just has no effect at all...in fact I still gain weight if Im dieting....nice......
    I've noticed the same thing with myself. (34, PCOS, Insulin Resistance and Hypothyroidism here.)
    I know many women can watch what they eat, and will lose weight, without daily exercise. But for me? No go! I really do think that for many of us with PCOS-related insulin resistance, *daily* exercise is VITAL to losing weight/inches. Doesn't have to be rigorous, so long as it's consistent and for at least 30 minutes. Makes sense, as exercise is known to lower insulin resistance. I just can't do without it.
  • bookyeti
    Options
    I see lot of women diagnosed with PCOS suffering from irregular periods, facial hair, over weight due to PCOS ..
    Do you know of anyone who had these problems and went back to normal life eventually?
    If so what did you do ..?
    Did anyone get rid off PCOS and the symptoms after loosing weight ?

Myself and my younger sister were diagnosed with PCOS and are suffering from past couple of years ...
    Doctors are not of much help ..
    I was on provera for almost an year and I am missing periods even after that ..
    I am really frustated ..
    To praveena555-- I don't think anyone answered your questions back on page 12 of this thread (unless I missed it - if so, don't mind me! hehe!), so I hope you don't mind if I do...

Unfortunately you will never be PCOS-free. There is no cure for this syndrome, and once you have it, you will always have it - regardless of your weight. The good news is that with daily exercise, clean eating, and medication, if necessary, you can *control* your PCOS/insulin resistance symptoms.

Metformin has really helped me cope with my insulin resistance. It allows me to lose weight like a 'normal' person (someone without I.R.), coupled with daily rigorous exercise and clean eating. It has also helped reduce the PCOS symptoms I've struggled with in the past. I'm not advocating Metformin for everyone with PCOS, as I know everyone reacts differently to medication - but it has been a very helpful aid for me, personally.

Does losing weight alleviate PCOS symptoms? Yes, most times it will. This is because as you lose weight, your body will become less resistant to insulin. Unfortunately, I don't believe that losing weight will reduce Testosterone levels (don't' quote me on this); thus, the symptoms related to your high testosterone levels may be more difficult to deal with.

Doctors usually throw the BC pill at PCOS'ers because it 'masks' the symptoms, and it does lower Testosterone. It does not, however, cure PCOS... and, unfortunately, can *worsen* insulin resistance. It's been known for quite some time that birth control pills decrease insulin sensitivity. While this isn't a serious concern for most women, if you already have a problem with Insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes, it can totally wreak havoc on your system (which is what it did to me). Thankfully, I have been off the BC pill for almost 4 years now, and wished that I had never gotten on the pill to begin with!
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Yes it is Definitely that way for me. I could eat low cal for the rest of my life and actually gain weight doing that...lol Thats why I get upset when people are like...oh you must be eating too much...or you must not being working out enough...In reality I work my TUSH off when I work out! I'd like to see them try some of the workouts that I've been doing. lol Now days I just smile and say graciously..."Thanks for the advice"

My busy summer schedule is absolutely horrible for my workout regimen.........arrrrg!!!!!!!!!! And dieting alone just has no effect at all...in fact I still gain weight if Im dieting....nice......
    I've noticed the same thing with myself. (34, PCOS, Insulin Resistance and Hypothyroidism here.)
    I know many women can watch what they eat, and will lose weight, without daily exercise. But for me? No go! I really do think that for many of us with PCOS-related insulin resistance, *daily* exercise is VITAL to losing weight/inches. Doesn't have to be rigorous, so long as it's consistent and for at least 30 minutes. Makes sense, as exercise is known to lower insulin resistance. I just can't do without it.
  • bookyeti
    Options
    Yes it is Definitely that way for me. I could eat low cal for the rest of my life and actually gain weight doing that...lol Thats why I get upset when people are like...oh you must be eating too much...or you must not being working out enough...In reality I work my TUSH off when I work out! I'd like to see them try some of the workouts that I've been doing. lol Now days I just smile and say graciously..."Thanks for the advice"
    Ah yeah... been there! :-) I basically had an endocrinologist tell me that a few years ago. Waited almost a year for that appointment, drove 2 hours to get there, and it lasted all of 5 minutes. He was rude and dismissive with a god-complex. I turned around and walked out of his office while he was in mid-sentence (he spoke down his nose at me, and treated me like I had no clue what I was dealing with). Felt I was not exercising or watching what I was eating. I'm an easy-going person, quiet, and it takes a lot to get me steamed, and I somehow managed to bite my tongue --nearly in half!-- the entire time. Never went back to him. He was even put out that I knew so much about PCOS and insulin resistance. No thanks! I will not waste my precious time on "so-called" professionals who prejudge or who are unwilling to listen to facts.

Fortunately, my GP has been the greatest of help to me and he knows how hard I'm working to lose. And, yes, we DO have to work *doubly* hard!!
  • mikylovr
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

Thanks for the tease. Getting my period for 3 months at 13 and then going away. now at 32 i still got nothing, nada, zilch. I was not cursed with the acne or excessive hair but i was the same exact weight for 15 years regardless of how active i was. Thank you for the cycsts on my ovaries. they are a freaking dream come true. Kids, yeah thats another problem. been trying for a while an no luck so i will end this with a big "**** YOU PCOS"

that is all.
    Me
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Book yeti, are you taking anything that does what birth control does for PCOS women? I'm off right now since I'm trying to conceive (yay PCOS and your lack of ovulation and difficulty growing eggs), but I don't want to be on birth control for the rest of my life. Especially since iobviouslydont need it to control having kiddos. I'm not insulin resistant yet, but I'm trying hard to stay that way.
  • rochelly_belly
    rochelly_belly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Newby-HAVE TO REPLY

PCOS thanks for the horrible acne & comments from well meaning family members on the proper way to wash a face. And the fact that I never had carefree makeup free days in my 20s like all of my friends. Thank you for the 50 pounds(!) that I gained in 3 months due to a medication inflaming the Insulin Resistance that we didn't know about yet. Yes, you announced yourself loud and clear. And yes, I realize I am one of the lucky ones with SEMI regular periods. So thanks for making me pay for them with extra painful cramps. Oh, and thanks for the fact that when I am in bed for 2 days and someone asks me why and I say "cramps" , I get the oh-you-have-to-be-kidding look. Or tone. Especially hate the tone... I love for a doctor to tell me that pain during TOM is "normal"
    Thanks for the confusion BTW. Example
    (at a doctor that is NOT my OB/GYN)
    DR: any medications
    ME: iron, and migraine pills, and Metformin
    DR: METFORMIN!? YOURE DIABETIC? It's not it your chart!!
    (flips frantically through chart)
    ME: No, I'm not
    DR: (releived sigh) Oh, you are not diabetic, so you are NOT on metformin.. (this is not a question)
    ME: No, I AM on Metformin! It's-
    DR: So you ARE a diabetic. (again not a question)
    ME: NO - I have a hormonal imbalance tha-
    DR: YES but Metformin is for di-a-be-tes (insert Duh) so if you are on it...
    ME: ((SIGH))

Grr, I really HATE THAT!!!

Real gratitude goes to SoulCysters.net for teaching me about this 4 years ago when I was diagnosed. And thank you GI diet, with simple swaps that allowed me to lose 30lbs (with Met) and get rid of the dark splotches on my inner thighs (and ARMPITS!). Also helped stop the thinning of my hair on top and allowed my stubborn belly to go down a little. Take that PCOS!

GL everyone it IS manageable =)
  • rochelly_belly
    rochelly_belly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP forums and am so glad this thread is here! I just had a baby in June and am actually skinnier than when I got pregnant, so I am trying to keep the momentum going and lose some more. I had good results (about 30 lbs) with Met when I was first diagnosed in 2007, but didn't like the stomach issues I had with Met (READ: explosive diarrhea lol) so when I stopped dropping the weight I stopped taking it.
  • stephrivas84
    stephrivas84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hate having PCOS! Its so frustrating! The hair is the horrible! I hate taking a bunch of pills every day! AHHHHHH!!
    Thanks for the ability to vent.
  • mgravy
    mgravy Posts: 47
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

Thanks to you, I've spent an absurd amount of money on pregnancy test because my period never showed up on time. In addition, when my period decided to arrive, she stayed for 6 weeks at a time. When I am on birth control and it DOES show up on time, you have me so brained washed that if it's 6 hours late, I take a pregnancy test anyway. When I lost my health insurance for a few years, the BC pill costs me $60 a month to keep me "regular". On top of that, I've spent thousands of dollars on electrolysis because no woman wants a goatee and a hairy back in her 20s. Oh, and having to work twice as hard to loose every damned ounce was a nice touch too. To top it all off, now that I've lost some weight, for the first time ever, I'm experiencing break-through bleeding on the pill and have had my period for 20 days (so far).

Feel free to stop screwing with my live anytime now.
  • MonicaLee1982
    MonicaLee1982 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but after reading this thread (and learning more about PCOS from it than ANY of the drs that I have been to since being diagnosed) I have a question, and I hope some of you ladies can help me out. There's a blood test that helps in the diagnosis of PCOS? Could someone please tell me what it is so that I'll know what to ask for? I was diagnosed 7 years ago and have never been givien ANY blood work in regards to PCOS other than the test to check my liver function every three months or so, because my gyno says that metformin can cause liver failure? Also, she's never once checked my hormone levels. After reading all these posts, I find that odd, and am seriously thinking of trying to find another gyno. Feel free to friend me, I could really use some help here. I'd like to thank the OP of this thread! I was just about to give up hope in regards to ever feeling normal living with this disease, but after reading all the posts, realized maybe I'm not loosing my mind after all! :)
  • bookyeti
    Options
    Ok, I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but after reading this thread (and learning more about PCOS from it than ANY of the drs that I have been to since being diagnosed) I have a question, and I hope some of you ladies can help me out. There's a blood test that helps in the diagnosis of PCOS? Could someone please tell me what it is so that I'll know what to ask for? I was diagnosed 7 years ago and have never been givien ANY blood work in regards to PCOS other than the test to check my liver function every three months or so, because my gyno says that metformin can cause liver failure? Also, she's never once checked my hormone levels. After reading all these posts, I find that odd, and am seriously thinking of trying to find another gyno. Feel free to friend me, I could really use some help here. I'd like to thank the OP of this thread! I was just about to give up hope in regards to ever feeling normal living with this disease, but after reading all the posts, realized maybe I'm not loosing my mind after all! :)
    Monicalee1982 - Unfortunately there's not just ONE test that diagnoses PCOS. It is known as a "syndrome" because it's associated with several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together -- but they can differ from patient to patient. That's why it is often tricky to diagnose.

A gynecologist really isn't the person to diagnose you. My gyn didn't know much about PCOS at all, aside from a few basic facts. That is because PCOS is not a reproductive problem (the symptoms can be), rather it's a *hormone* disorder. While cysts on the ovaries are common with a woman with PCOS, it is not a requisite to be diagnosed (like myself). You can easily have PCOS without cysts. Get a referral to a specialist -- an Endocrinologist. PCOS is an endocrine (hormone) disorder.

The main blood test you'll want to have is Testosterone (Bioavailable) - it is almost always elevated in a woman with PCOS, and is often used in diagnosing. At the time I was diagnosed, I had no cysts on my ovaries (not necessary for a diagnosis, as it's only *one* of the symptoms of the disease), but my testosterone was double the highest normal range. I am also insulin resistant. After having an unrelated operation in Jan. of this year, it was confirmed I had typical PCOS-like ovaries - no cysts, but they were puffy and not 'normal' looking (something that wouldn't show up in a scan or ultrasound).

Also get your insulin/glucose checked and ask for a lipid panel done as well, which includes your cholesterol and triglycerides. Most women with PCOS with insulin resistance will have elevated cholesterol and/or triglycerides.

It is possible to have PCOS without insulin resistance... however, the majority of women with PCOS are inclined in that direction. Metformin really does help in this regard. I know it has helped me a great deal, coupled with daily exercise and healthy eating, to shed unwanted pounds, and regulate my hormones to a degree. Many women have found that it regulates their monthlies as well. But like all medication, it's not for everyone, and can affect people in different ways.
  • bookyeti
    Options
    Book yeti, are you taking anything that does what birth control does for PCOS women? I'm off right now since I'm trying to conceive (yay PCOS and your lack of ovulation and difficulty growing eggs), but I don't want to be on birth control for the rest of my life. Especially since iobviouslydont need it to control having kiddos. I'm not insulin resistant yet, but I'm trying hard to stay that way.
    I have never taken the pill for my PCOS. And my Endocrinologist never recommended them either. In my research, I had read early on that the pill can often-times make matters worse in a woman with PCOS-related insulin resistance.

I know that many women with PCOS are often prescribed oral contraceptives to help regulate an irregular or absent menstrual cycle. But I never had an irregular cycle - always 'on time.' That was one of the symptoms I never had.

I no longer require the pill for contraception because I had a hysterectomy in Jan. 2011 (ovaries still in tact). However, I went off the pill almost 5 years ago, and we relied on other sources of contraception.