can I start a PCOS Vent your frustrations Thread? lol

Options

Replies

• elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    METFORMIN users????

It would seem that after a few days of taking a day time dose I keep getting stomach upset by late afternoon, painful too, just want to check is this, normal? ( from what I read it is) will it get less if I perceiver??? If so how long will it take to feel better?

I never had problems with stomach pains or nausea with metformin, but that is a very common side effect! If you are getting bad stomach problems the medicine, don't ignore it or try to persevere – I doubt it will get better and you could get make yourself sick. My doctor prescribed me the time release pills from the get-go (Fortamet), which is supposedly easier on your stomach...so if you weren't on time release, talk to your doctor about that.

Also, ask your doctor about Glucophage – that's another brand/version of Metformin, and my doctor mentioned that as an option if I had a bad reaction to Metformin... I think it's supposed to be easier on your stomach!
  • mrzligg
    mrzligg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if i have pcos,but the more i read about i think i do, of course facial, im overweight, and haven't got pregnant yet. Docs say its because of my weight so.. here i am!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if i have pcos,but the more i read about i think i do, of course facial, im overweight, and haven't got pregnant yet. Docs say its because of my weight so.. here i am!
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I was just diagnosed with PCOS last week and it makes a lot of sense all the sudden. I'm really struggling to come to terms with this especially since my husband and I were thinking about trying to conceive sometime within the next year. Now I doubt that will even happen... Anyway, I was already trying to lose weight even before I was diagnosed, but I'm really struggling to lose weight even though I'm working REALLY hard, so I think PCOS may have something to do with my difficulties.

How has PCOS effected weight loss for you ladies?

I guess I'm just looking for information, advice, and support. Thanks ladies.
  • bcopeland2005
    bcopeland2005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't officially been diagnosed with PCOS but I have a couple of the symptoms. No period without birth control and I have been that way since I was probably 16. I have acne but it's the occosional here and there not too terrible. Although it's super annoying. I am just now starting my weight loss journey so that is to be determined soon I am sure. I did loose about 8.2 pounds in August when I started regular exercise and eating right. I fell off that wagon on the 24th and up until now I gained back about 4 pounds. It is hard to loose weight I feel like but I think that's just that "I have changed now where is my magic wand results??" I do have slightly darker patches of skin under my arms and I feel like its on my neck as well... but my hubs says he can't tell. So... opinions?? suggestions?? I have been going to the same ob-gyn since I was about 18. This really sucks.. but no one said this life would be easy. So I guess I will deal with it!! Ohhh... I have also had the internal ultrasound and no cysts... that's why the diagnosis kinda lingers I guess. Is there any other tests that you guys have had that would be a yes u have it or no you dont kind of answer?? Thanks!!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

How has PCOS effected weight loss for you ladies?

I'm thinking it's the PCOS that's just making it really difficult to lose weight and super easy to gain weight...
  • kellymarie516
    kellymarie516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor and have them run blood work to see if you possibly can have PCOS. I have PCOS and didnt know for 4 years and didnt understand why I continued to gain weight. Evenutally my doctors figured it out but its something that needs to be checked and not pushed to the side!
  • kellymarie516
    kellymarie516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctors did a full blood work up to see if I had any elevations. I would talk to them about have blood work done.
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I was casually using myfitnesspal until the other day when I realised I have to commit.

I hate hate hate that understanding food and how my body will react to it perplexes me so much and regular workout/caloric advice just doesn't work.

I hate that none of my clothes fit anymore (yet I refuse to give up the hope that I will get back in them... even if it was just 5 lbs, then just 10 lbs, then just 15, then just 20...)

I hate that I can't eat chocolate like I used to! All I want to do is bake again...

Any PCOSers with nutrition/workout advice or just to vent - please add!
  • gloomygurl
    Options
    I love this thread!! :heart:
    I also have pcos! I can't believe how many people on here have the same condition!:noway: I'm here to loose some weight and then hopefully my periods will come back too :sad: I hate pcos :angry: IT's literally ruined my life, I fell pregnant but sadly lost the baby at 23weeks because of this horrible disease, I'm on the up and up now though..and it wont beat me!!!
    I'd love for some of you to add me and share your stories on battling the pcos induced bulge:smile: xxx
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    PCOS, YOU ARE SO CONFUSING!!
    You got me running in circles trying to figure you out. I've been to 7 doctors and none of them know how to treat you. And 2 of them has never heard of you...smh!
    You made me think for 9 yrs that I could not have anymore kids and BAM I got pregnant!! Yes, I was happy but why wud you make me wait that long???
    I hate the fact that I workout for hrs a wk only to find out that NO WEIGHT was lost!!

You are evil!
    You make me so sick!!

Hate you always,

Syreeta
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Dear PCOS, thank you for the 2 miscarriages, countless invasive procedures and general infertility. Thanks for the Insulin resistance that has developed into Diabetes. It's a real laugh.

Thanks for the facial hair. Thanks for the extra weight that just won't go away, and thanks for making it soooooo difficult to shift!

That is all :explode:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Dear PCOS:

I found out about you in 1998 and was not diagnosed until 2003 because the doctors I went to told me I was just being fat and lazy. I did the 1,000 calorie, low fat, high carb diets the doctors gave me and exercised for hours on end, only to gain more weight.

I hate that I went from a body building 125 pound fit woman that was in the Army to a 280 pound raving lunatic in less than 6 months time.

I want to thank you for the countless miscarriages, including the 2 that I had under IVF. Thanks for the beard under my chin and the hairy stomach...............

I started to beat you once in 2003 when Dr. Bersinger (one of the greatest doctors on earth) diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on the Atkins Diet. I was gaining control of you PCOS and had lost over 100 pounds until that fateful day in 2008 when I got into a bad car accident while on a business trip and nearly lost my life.

PCOS - Did you have something to do with this car accident because you were losing control of my body? As I lay in the hospital bed being fed a "Diabetic Diet" which caused me to start gaining weight again and the symptoms started coming back again...............

I am on my way again to beating you and this time I am going to knock your *kitten* out like Muhammad Ali used to do to his opponents.
  • melaniejames
    melaniejames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    PCOS

I am so sick of the woman with 5 kids on welfare, the woman who has a kid but never wanted one, so sick of trying and getting negative pregnancy test, the lack of ovulation and the struggle is ****, I am sick of people not understanding how not being able to conceive because of you makes me feel less like a woman, i am sick of the hair and the weight and the mood swings, not to mention that because of you I have food sensitivity migraines and so much more, you can just **** off
  • melaniejames
    melaniejames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    METFORMIN users????

It would seem that after a few days of taking a day time dose I keep getting stomach upset by late afternoon, painful too, just want to check is this, normal? ( from what I read it is) will it get less if I perceiver??? If so how long will it take to feel better?

I never had problems with stomach pains or nausea with metformin, but that is a very common side effect! If you are getting bad stomach problems the medicine, don't ignore it or try to persevere – I doubt it will get better and you could get make yourself sick. My doctor prescribed me the time release pills from the get-go (Fortamet), which is supposedly easier on your stomach...so if you weren't on time release, talk to your doctor about that.

Also, ask your doctor about Glucophage – that's another brand/version of Metformin, and my doctor mentioned that as an option if I had a bad reaction to Metformin... I think it's supposed to be easier on your stomach!

start on a smaller dose and work up to a larger dose as your stomach gets used to the meds, upset stomach, and the squirts are common with metformin or glucophage, i take only 1000 mg extended release daily not the recommended 2000 mg because even after years the urge to go means i got to go now, for me if i don't have the meds my insulin resistance takes over and i get sicker than a dog, i either take the meds and run to the bathroom or spend the day dealing with unbalanced blood sugars
  • stephqj
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 23 after having never had a regular period. I'm 39 and still really don't. I was clomiphene resistant and spent 18 months and hundreds of shots to get pregnant the first time. I weighed 254 when I got pregnant and gained 33 pounds. My second pregnancy (235/18) took one cycle of shots. I've done laser removal but am finding electrolysis to be better, honestly. It doesn't hurt that much more, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

I'm down 92 pounds now and about to break the remarkable 200 number. I was hypertensive and still took 2,000 mg of Met a day when I started. I came off it completely about 6 weeks ago. I see my endo again next month, but my fasting blood sugar is around 90 now. After 60 pounds, my triglycerides were *128*. They'd never, ever been below 200. No sign of fatty liver issues. No sign at all of the PCOS, except that my period is still irregular. My GYN says it will eventually resolve, but I honestly don't care now, as I'm done with the baby making.

I don't low carb it, but I'm generally very careful about what I eat. I exercise very regularly and do see a trainer twice a week for muscle build and tone. I eat very little refined sugar now, and I generally steer clear of sweets in general, so not even sugar free stuff. I drink diet soda, certainly, but I also still put sugar in my coffee. I eat 3-4 pieces of fruit every day.

What I did find on the Met, as far as stomach upset, was that it was especially bad if I over-carbed it in a day, especially if I had a lot of sugar. Lots of fiber, especially from vegetables will help. 30-40 grams a day was really, really ideal. It sounds like a lot, but a bowl of Kashi cereal has 7+, and a pear has 5. Fortamet was better, but it was so damn expensive. I stuck with Metformin XR.

PCOS sucks, no doubt. Really, I blame it for a lot of crap I've been through. But slowly but surely it's not running my life any more. Good luck, ladies!
  • aricaWTF
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was sixteen back in 2009. Because I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was about 7 or 6 my doctor said that the dark ring around my neck was caused by diabetes. I was a heavy weight girl my entire life. All I can think about is "what if this was treated sooner!!! I could be thin right now"

Back in 2009 I weighed 228 pounds that has been my heaviest, I am now 217. I don't know how I lost the weight because I was doing MFP then but my periods are starting to regulate I think... July and august they were the same exact dates. This month it's a little off. But I'm not complaining. I'm hoping this is a good sign, that I might be starting to control it.. My entire family picks on me about my weight except for 3 people, my aunt, my sister, and her husband. They don't understand PCOS. But they are supportive of me. My mom, and my dad think it's nothing to do with my weight I even showed them articles but the refuse to believe it.
    I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, loose weight, excersise, walk, be happy...eventually(:
  • gloomygurl
    Options
    I had a really good read through of this last night cause I want to start taking some med's that will -
    1. Ease symptoms
    2. Help me loose weight
    3. Fix my gross acne (I use an ointment called zineryt that worked when I first started but now it doesn't help much at all!)
    I've found this thread SO helpful!!!:love:
    I'm going to the walk in GYN clinic at the hospital tomorrow to talk with the doctor there (My doctor is impossible to see, You have to fight to see a nurse half of the time! And they're just rubbish tbh) I'm going to demand a scan cause I've only ever had one and that was years ago! My ovaries could be mush by now and I wouldn't know!
    Anyway I wanted some advice as to what med's to ask for!:indifferent:
    Will metformin combined with a healthy lifestyle actually help me to loose weight and keep it off? And what contraceptive pill is best for regulating periods and easing symptoms?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I had a really good read through of this last night cause I want to start taking some med's that will -
    1. Ease symptoms
    2. Help me loose weight
    3. Fix my gross acne (I use an ointment called zineryt that worked when I first started but now it doesn't help much at all!)
    I've found this thread SO helpful!!!:love:
    I'm going to the walk in GYN clinic at the hospital tomorrow to talk with the doctor there (My doctor is impossible to see, You have to fight to see a nurse half of the time! And they're just rubbish tbh) I'm going to demand a scan cause I've only ever had one and that was years ago! My ovaries could be mush by now and I wouldn't know!
    Anyway I wanted some advice as to what med's to ask for!:indifferent:
    Will metformin combined with a healthy lifestyle actually help me to loose weight and keep it off? And what contraceptive pill is best for regulating periods and easing symptoms?

Do you want to take chemical drugs such as Metformin???? I ask this because there are herbal supplements you can buy that are cheap that help way more than Metformin.

If your interested, please message me. I will forward you the information.
  • docsharp
    docsharp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

You have made my life a living hell Not only do I have PCOS, but I have so many food sensitivities I really cannot eat at restaurants without being in pain. Oh and thank you for making me need organic meats which I have sense given up entirely(No more meat for me). Thank you though for that, I do feel better and I do have regular periods eating vegan, butTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT back to the Vent. You do not like Carbs especially the bad ones and cause me to gain weight even if my food can be fairly healthy. I can lose weight and gain all of it back in half the time it took to take it off.

I am tired of being a slave to you. I do not want to fight with you anymore. If you do not like processed carbs I will do away with them even more so than I have. You do not like a lot of carbs, ok, I will do better.

I have found the key to quick weight loss for me and it is Raw Food but I do not want to eat 100% raw, we will figure this out. I can do Breakfast and Lunch raw so we'll go with that and a cooked vegan dinner... most of the time... I know the key to be carbs/sugar.

PCOS you will not rule my life, I will lose the weight and be thin for ONCE IN MY LIFE.......

I took pictures tonight and I look horrible, I could not believe it. Seeing is believing.

OK, I'm done!!!! Feel so much better.

T.