can I start a PCOS Vent your frustrations Thread? lol

Options

Replies

• DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    PCOS never affected my ability to have children, despite not having regular periods for a decade, Ive managed to be pregnant 6 times with no medical intervention.

But I have a beard, am losing the hair on my head, dark patches between my legs....horrific acne, bacne ( despite my NEVER having either as a teen) never mind the merry-go-round of disappearing & re-appearing ovarian cysts.... and though for the past 24 months, Ive been getting my period on time like clockwork, the physical feeling of passing clots as if I am having another miscarriage several times that week leaves a LOT to be desired.... Oh and I will lose this weight!!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    the physical feeling of passing clots

I've never had a period without birth control and thought this feeling was normal and that all women feel it.... :-/
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have fairly normal cycles now that I've lost some significant weight, but I've also noticed my metformin side effects flaring up...maybe i need a lower dose? ugh i dunno... anyone else experience this? And yea...now that I have normal periods....I realize I DID NOT miss the pain and bloating that goes along with it...lol
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

I've never had a period without birth control and thought this feeling was normal and that all women feel it.... :-/

Oh God NO!!!
  • Melroxsox
    Options

Oh God NO!!!
    Clots are HORRIFIC....................ugh..........:explode: :mad:
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I never had the clot issue but my toms were extremely painful. I would miss school and such bc I would be doubled over constantly. They were extrememly heavy at first and would last anywheres up to 6 months at a given time. The pain felt as if someone was shoving their arm up to their elbow and ripping out my insides. Vicadin and morphine wouldn't even touch the pain. But now not havin a tom id give anything even take the pain to have one.I refuse to take provera so my chance of endometrial cancer has increased. I'm hoping with each pound I lose the closer I am to having a normal cycle.
    Question anyone expeirence when you were able to ovulate severe pain during that time?
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

Thank you for letting me gain 100 + pounds in 3 years, and making it nearly impossible to take it off (especially without metformin--too bad the side effects are so brutal that I've nearly *kitten* my pants too many times to count and have had some of the most embarrassing experiences of my life because of it). Thanks for being so difficult to understand and diagnose. Those 3 years I was gaining all that weight? I went to several doctors and had some tests run but was never diagnosed. Also, I appreciate the acne. The BCP's seem to help A LITTLE, but the acne is what killed my self-esteem. Thank you for that slice of humble pie. And let's not forget the facial hair that I wax and pluck on a near-daily basis. My life would not be complete without a beard. The cherry on top? Thank you for the high cholesterol. The several years worth of build up gives me oh-so-pleasant dreams of strokes and heart attacks--fantasies of an early death!

And I REALLY, REALLY can't thank you enough for not being a good enough "excuse" as to why I'm fat. I mean, seriously, when someone thinks I'm pregnant when I'm not, or thinks I'm fat, I can't say I have a metabolic disorder. Because EVERYBODY who is fat "has a metabolic disorder," right? Haha! Joke's on me.

The Luckiest Girl in the World,
    Angela

P. f*ckin' S. Thank you for stealing the dreams of people I love, my cysters, who have been TTC for over a decade. Thank you for letting them suffer through several heartbreaking miscarriages, painful and costly fertility treatments, and for generally snatching their prayers from god's sight.

Also, ifiwasurvampire, are you getting a hysterectomy to remove your cyst-riddled ovaries in attempt to "cure" PCOS, or is it for other reasons? I know that's a personal question, but if you're trying to cure PCOS by getting rid of your ovaries, you may want to do some more research. Cystic ovaries are a SYMPTOM of the disease, NOT the CAUSE. I say this because I care, and I don't know what you know. I'm not trying to be a miss know-it-all. I say this because I care.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My dark patches are still there 47lb down, but maybe I just happen to be unlucky, if they go it could be a sign of the insulin resistance being done away with or under control? (since they can be related).
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive if it was the birth control or losing weight, maybe both, just glad to not have them anymore

PCOS causes the dark patches because that is where your body is storing isulan it can't use...or won't use. Sigh....mine are fading though.

Dear PCOS,

I beat you by having a child they said I would never have...you beat me when you took away the 2nd one I was carrying at 5 months. I hate you, but you will not win!

Thanks but no thanks
    ME
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried taking Oil of Evening Primrose? Its a supplement that balances hormones. I've been taking it for years and it really does help, especially with acne. I know we all have different symptoms of varying serverity, but massive red ugly spots was my worst.

As for weight loss, I really have to work at it, but its coming off slowly.

No sign of the black elbows going tho :grumble:

Good luck everyone. Try the OEP! Metformin didnt do anything for me.

:flowerforyou:
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

I hate that you took away any feelings of femininty I had.. and helped to make me obese with such a struggle to lose it.
    I hate dealing with your symptoms daily.. it's tiring and sometimes exhausting. I hate you for making me so uncomfortable in public and so much less social than I used to be!

Juls

PS- I never even realized I had PCOS. It took me a year and a half to get pregnant with first child, who was born 3 months premature. When he was 4 we decided to try again.. took 7 years this time. I never tried anything.. never went to doctors to find out why it never happened. I thought I had one who was lucky to survive so if I had another fine, if not at least I had my first. So now I am about to hit 40 and have a 14 year old and a 3 year old! And hubby has a vesectomy just in case.. cuz those pregnancies were tough and wore me out!
  • ifiwasurvampire
    Options
    [/quote]

Also, ifiwasurvampire, are you getting a hysterectomy to remove your cyst-riddled ovaries in attempt to "cure" PCOS, or is it for other reasons? I know that's a personal question, but if you're trying to cure PCOS by getting rid of your ovaries, you may want to do some more research. Cystic ovaries are a SYMPTOM of the disease, NOT the CAUSE. I say this because I care, and I don't know what you know. I'm not trying to be a miss know-it-all. I say this because I care.
    [/quote]
    Thank you for the concern. Thankfully I do not have cystic ovaries so that is not the reason. I have chosen to have a partial hysterectomy bc 1 I am fixed, I can not have any more children. 2 I am sick of taking provera in order to have a cycle and I do not want to relie on this medicine for the rest of my life. And 3 I am removing my uterus to decrese my chance of getting endometrial cancer, the longer you go without a cylce the higher the chance. My gyno is a life saver, so far the only one that seems to care what I want and not say I'm too young. Hell I've had my tubes tied since june 27th 2008. 7 days after I turned 21! There's no point in keeping the uterus if I do not need it. Plus ill love not worrying about even getting a cycle. Don't get me wrong I hate doing this and I'm terrified of being put under. But its the best choice right now. If my cycle becomes normal before june then maybe ill cancell the surgery, but that most likely won't happen. Even with normal cycles for me comes severe pain where I can't function to care for my disabled daughter. This surgery was the last resort for me. I am sick of under going laparscopic surgeries, saline ultrasounds, vag ultrasounds and uterine biopsies. Ahhh I'm rambling. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I absolutely despise pcos!
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you for the concern. Thankfully I do not have cystic ovaries so that is not the reason. I have chosen to have a partial hysterectomy bc 1 I am fixed, I can not have any more children. 2 I am sick of taking provera in order to have a cycle and I do not want to relie on this medicine for the rest of my life. And 3 I am removing my uterus to decrese my chance of getting endometrial cancer, the longer you go without a cylce the higher the chance. My gyno is a life saver, so far the only one that seems to care what I want and not say I'm too young. Hell I've had my tubes tied since june 27th 2008. 7 days after I turned 21! There's no point in keeping the uterus if I do not need it. Plus ill love not worrying about even getting a cycle. Don't get me wrong I hate doing this and I'm terrified of being put under. But its the best choice right now. If my cycle becomes normal before june then maybe ill cancell the surgery, but that most likely won't happen. Even with normal cycles for me comes severe pain where I can't function to care for my disabled daughter. This surgery was the last resort for me. I am sick of under going laparscopic surgeries, saline ultrasounds, vag ultrasounds and uterine biopsies. Ahhh I'm rambling. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I absolutely despise pcos!

To be completely honest, I would do the exact same thing if I were in the position you seem to be in. My best wishes to you. I have hear A LOT, and I really mean A LOT, of women who think that getting hysterectomies will cure PCOS. OH.MY. GOD. I wish it were only that simple. I'd be under the knife ASAP.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Dear pcos,

I have beating you twice now, I have two daughters, the eldest one will start school this year. If you had your way I would have given up after trying for nearly 15 years, and for ten of them I didn't even know you were hiding in the background causing me all my problems, I have the skin tags, the hairy chin ( it hurts lots when your child tells you she doesn't like your furry features as a mummy) I do actually shave more often than my husband!, the insulin resistance and the weight gain.
    I did need to use progesterone and clomid to beat you the first time, but dd1 brought a bonus with her, dd2 was our little miracle
    she came without any assistance from the drugs so there!
    I'm using metformin to beat you now, its taken me a while to get to grips with it, but having started on this journey to lose all the extra weight you dumped on me, I have found eating less fat has made my system more tollerent of the met,
    I have started reading up on what you can do to my body, and more importantly what I can do for my body to beat you, I have already lost two stone (28lb) thats about a third of what I need to loose, but I am loosing it so raspberries to you.
    Although I know when my dd's start school I will be one of the oldest mummy's there, I am determind to not be the biggest, nor to have them embarrised to acknowledge me as theirs - I may never be (or want to be) a yummy mummy, but I can and will be a real mummy that can play with her children!
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    dear PCOS,
    You are truly a DISEASE to women that are GOOD women that want the best for their lives.
    My personal experience goes like this gals.....
    I have never told anyone this....not even my own beloved husband.....but here we go:
    My story starts out as a regular normal child. My Birth father passed away when I was 14 . He unfortunately did not overcome the absolute horror of being diagnosed with a brain tumor. I was born april 2nd @ 8 :00 am. and my Father was diagnosed exactly 24 hours later. He was given 6 months to live.......and He actually lived until i was the ripe age of 14. I feel blessed that I was lucky enough to have my dad for that long...because i know that alot of people do not get this priveledge in life.
    He was just like me...Loved people no matter how mean and unloving they were to you.....but you still were always there for them....no matter what.
    He was always Non judgemental.
    I live my life like that always now. I know my father's death has nothing to do with my PCOS......but I would like to happily think that the HARD work i've bee n doing is for the greatest cause ever. FAMILY.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    DEAR PCOS<

AERRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH >>>>>>>>!>!!!!!>>!>!>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Fing GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and dont you forget it!
  • PoeticaL
    PoeticaL Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to MyFitnessPal. Not new to PCOS. I just wanted to say that a hyseterectomy will protect you from uterine cancer but it will not remove PCOS. Even a full hysterectomy will not do that. I'm trying my darndest to beat the ***** that is PCOS with diet and excercise and I'm also taking Victoza. Just got completely serious about it recently. Best wishes to all of you. It is a horrific disorder that no one but someone who has it understands.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    Options
    I'm new to MyFitnessPal. Not new to PCOS. I just wanted to say that a hyseterectomy will protect you from uterine cancer but it will not remove PCOS. Even a full hysterectomy will not do that. I'm trying my darndest to beat the ***** that is PCOS with diet and excercise and I'm also taking Victoza. Just got completely serious about it recently. Best wishes to all of you. It is a horrific disorder that no one but someone who has it understands.
    I am not trying to "cure" or quick fix my pcos. This is the best choice for me as I am fixed I cannot attempt to have more children and as I do not want to relie on provera for a cycle.
  • melodyrae33
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and it was a slap in the face. I finally decided to get back on the site and do something about it. I am told that for every 10% of my weight I lose, my symptoms will get better. Well, 1 more pound and I will have lost my original 10%... I do not see any signs of improvement.

I am really struggling with losing the weight. If I even "cheat" for a weekend I gain back any of the weight I lost for the week. I am told to treat myself as if I were "pre-diabetic". I have been severely limiting my carb intake. I hope to limit the amount of sugar next (one step at a time). I am not on any medications for the PCOS symptoms.

Any advice would help...

Thank you!!
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and it was a slap in the face. I finally decided to get back on the site and do something about it. I am told that for every 10% of my weight I lose, my symptoms will get better. Well, 1 more pound and I will have lost my original 10%... I do not see any signs of improvement.

I am really struggling with losing the weight. If I even "cheat" for a weekend I gain back any of the weight I lost for the week. I am told to treat myself as if I were "pre-diabetic". I have been severely limiting my carb intake. I hope to limit the amount of sugar next (one step at a time). I am not on any medications for the PCOS symptoms.

Any advice would help...

Thank you!!

Im sort of in the same boat....I've lost nearly 30 pounds and still haven't seen much improvement other than an ALMOST normal period cycle....it comes every 2 months...but other than that hardly anything different with my symptoms of PCOS...I keep thinking I just have to lose all this weight for anything to happen. So Im gonna keep on truckin! Don't give up either way!

ps...as for cheating...try not to if you can! If you do don't over indulge and only do it once a week....cause it really will set you back. PCOS is NOTORIOUS for doing this. You have to work out longer/harder just to get the same results or less as a normal functioning body:( Good luck to you!