Pregnancy 2011 - April

Options

Replies

• hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    hkystar I don't wanna stress you out (and I may be completely wrong), but I'm pretty sure part of the Federal shutdown is that you won't be able to take any leave for pay (as well as get any funds out of your TSP-thrift savings plan if you do that). Active duty military will continue to work and get payed but Civilian contractors will be furloughed 'In a shutdown, all paid leave during a furlough is canceled because the necessity to furlough supersedes leave rights. The Antideficiency Act (31 U.S.C. 1341 et seq.) does not allow authorization of any expenditure or obligation before an appropriation is made, unless authorized by law. Paid leave creates a debt to the government that is not authorized by the Act. Therefore, agencies are instructed that during a lapse in appropriations, all paid leave during a furlough must be canceled and employees must be either (1) at work performing excepted activities or (2) furloughed."

Since I am a contractor (and not a federal employee), its up to my company to determine the pay issues. But it appears I will be allowed to use already accrued leave (since the company has already been paid for those hours by the govt as part of the price I am "rented" out at). But if I chose to not use my leave, I will go unpaid for the whole week. My company is not being very forthcoming with policies and procedures (I think cause they are hoping for a last minute solution to be worked out).

AnneElise- sorry MS came back. Mine has yet to actually go away. Its better than it was through week 21 but I still throw up a few times a week. My dr told me it was normal for some women to be sick the whole time.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    AnneElise- sorry MS came back. Mine has yet to actually go away. Its better than it was through week 21 but I still throw up a few times a week. My dr told me it was normal for some women to be sick the whole time.

uhg. We must be the lucky ones. :wink: I hope yours goes away for you soon! Have you found any tricks that help you?
  • sarahgallienne81
    Options
    Hey Girlies, Hope all are well.

My name is Sarah im 29 and am trying to lose the weight to be able to conceive, i have been dx with PCOS.

Hubby (36) and I started TTC back in Nov 2009, but have stopped for now until we are both comfortable and healthy enough.

Hope to speak soon xx
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Had a great doctor appointment! Baby still has a good strong heartbeat. She didn’t tell me how many beats per minute but she said everything sounded great, and I measure perfectly for how far along I am. I gained four pounds since my last appointment but she didn’t say anything about it so at this point I’m not going to stress out over it. I’m just going to continue to try to make good food choices and stay as active as possible.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

Ron- That sucks about the strike! It sounds like they are asking for a lot. I am the vice president of my union at work, and I work for the municipal government. I dont know if the rules re: strikes are the same for you, but the entire body would have to vote to strike... do you think that people would really be willing to strike and lose out on pay??? People have mortgages, etc, ya know? I bet most people would vote it down. Who knows though... good luck, hope it works out!

Our office has gone on strike in the past but not since I’ve worked here. From everything that I’ve heard my co-worker say if it comes down to a strike there should be no problem getting the majority to agree with it (there’s a long list of things they want to cut from us that I didn’t go into). We do have a strike fund so that we would get some type of pay, but it won’t be near or normal paychecks. But considering that two years ago we were forced to work for almost two months without pay, most of the employees learned the hard way to be prepared for that. I’ve still got my fingers crossed that we can come to an agreement and not strike. Negotiations just started and as I’m sure you know they always present the worst options first, so right now we just wait. :ohwell:

Welcome Sarah!!!
  • sthorp1179
    sthorp1179 Posts: 104
    Options
    Welcome everyone, this is a wonderful place to make friends and get support and advice, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :smile:

I'm currently in my 5th week of pregnancy but I'm still not feeling much in the way of typical symptoms, sometimes I have been feeling tiredness but i've found if I keep moving and pottering round the house doing chores I can pretty much overcome this and feel much more energetic than I ever have with previous pregnancies. No real MS as of yet, have had a bit of a lack of appetite at times and getting into a lot of spicy food and foods with lots of flavour, yum! :laugh:

Lack of symptoms has got me wondering if everything is going to plan in there but I guess there's no bad symptoms either so I will just have to wait 6 more weeks to find out for sure! :ohwell:

Hope everyone is having a good day today, the sun is coming out here so that has really cheered me up, I think I will go for a walk with my little ones :)
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Had a great doctor appointment! Baby still has a good strong heartbeat. She didn’t tell me how many beats per minute but she said everything sounded great, and I measure perfectly for how far along I am. I gained four pounds since my last appointment but she didn’t say anything about it so at this point I’m not going to stress out over it. I’m just going to continue to try to make good food choices and stay as active as possible.

Glad that your appointment went well! For where you're at in your pregnancy, 4 lbs is nothing to stress about, I think it's a nice healthy gain. Keep up the good work!
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Good! Glad to hear it! Now get back to enjoying this pregnancy. It's our first, remember :flowerforyou:
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    hkystar oh that is wonderful news for you! I wasn't trying to be a negative nelly. I've very happy for people that actually have choices/resources during this stressful time. I'm very happy to see that they announced that even if there is a Federal shutdown that our men and women in the Armed Forces will still get paid (may be late, but they will get a paycheck). Now just hoping they figure this out and none of us have to worry!

Ron so glad your appointment went well! Yeah for a healthy baby and a good strong heartbeat! :)

Carina didn't you say that you conceived soon after having your first baby? Just because you ovulated once unassisted doesn't mean you ovulate every month. Shame on that doctor for not at least trying the Clomid again! I got pregnant the first time last September with Clomid (and Metformin and all the other things I said before lol!) and miscarried in October. I had one regular cycle and then without Clomid became pregnant in November. I lost that baby in December. I tried for months after that to get pregnant and the doctor said that as soon as I was ready I could take the Clomid again. Evidently after giving birth and after a miscarriage we tend to ovulate (if we do ovulate) at irregular times many times. I took Clomid in February and became pregnant with this baby. I don't agree that the Clomid would be useless for you. It worked in the past! I wish you all the luck. How frustrating to have a doctor that follows what he wants instead of the other way around! The doctors are there FOR us, not the other way around. Sometimes I think they forget that.... SMEP is Sperm Meets Egg Plan (basically where you babydance every other day from day 10 until you get a positive on an ovulation predictor kit then you babydance every day for at least four days from a positive OPK....it is a LOT of work to say the least) and Preseed is AMAZING! It is a lubricant that is the same pH as your normal fluids down there and it actually helps the swimmers get to where they are supposed to go a little easier. That is what worked for me anyways. :) OH! And I almost forgot...to remember to take your Metformin why don't you put a section on your Food Diary called medications or something. That way you have to log it in so you will remember to take it! Just a suggestion.

Welcome newbies! I too have PCOS and it took me 7 years total to conceive. Finally diagnosed myself with PCOS about a year and a half ago and since then changed my diet (I followed the protein plan in The Diet Solution) and got on Metformin and took Clomid to conceive. Getting healthy was the very first step I took before I even knew I had PCOS though. I lost about 70lbs with lots and lots of exercise and watching what I ate. My weight will always be a struggle but it is possible! I wish you all the best of luck!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I weighed in today and lost 2 lbs, not sure how that is possible, but not unhappy at all, LOL.

Also, it rained! We haven't had much of any precipitation in over 60 days.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies.

Ron- SO glad your apt. went well. 4 lbs is just fine for a month!

Sthorp- at 5 weeks I wasn't feeling anything but tiredness either... my symptoms kicked in major about 7 weeks.

Annabelle- Yea for loosing two lbs :D

Heather- I have been watching/reading about this after you posted the first time. How frustrating for all people involved. The government needs to COMPROMISE. Like everything in life, compromise is needed. I am sorry for those of you this is affecting... As we know most republican governors are trying to cut so many things from teachers... we havn't taken a raise in two years already even though we are in one of the lowest paid states for teachers... and OUR republican governor is suggesting a pay RAISE for teachers starting next year... who knows if we will get it but he is going out on a limb to support teachers even though his party isn't. I was pleased and suprised.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @ Heather - yes, I have PCOS. I've already asked my OB for Clomid again. he says that b/c i have conceived unaided and while on Metformin, Clomid would be useless for me, since it appears i'm ovulating. I'm still taking metformin, but be darned if i can't remember to take my pills! Out of sight, out of mind. :grumble:
    I wish I could leave them out to remind me, but with children in the house, there is NO way i'd do that.

Why not do something like keep your toothbrush put away - bet you don't forget that every day! And if it sits on top of the pill bottle, you won't forget those either.

Or, is there somewhere else you can keep it than the medicine cabinet or wherever? Like - somewhere in the kitchen or laundry room that you open every day? Or get a suction cup caddy and attach it to the top of your bathroom mirror?

Or how about the good old sticky note reminder on the mirror?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 5th week of pregnancy but I'm still not feeling much in the way of typical symptoms, sometimes I have been feeling tiredness but i've found if I keep moving and pottering round the house doing chores I can pretty much overcome this and feel much more energetic than I ever have with previous pregnancies. No real MS as of yet, have had a bit of a lack of appetite at times and getting into a lot of spicy food and foods with lots of flavour, yum! :laugh:

I didn't even know I was pregnant until like 7 weeks. (Wasn't trying or not trying, so wasn't paying attention.) I was doing P90x doubles at the time and only thought maybe I was preg because I suddenly got so tired doing it around what turned out to be 6 or 7 weeks. 5 weeks in I was still going strong with no symptoms. Other than the fatigue and slight nausea nothing else kicked in for another couple weeks after that either.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Annabelle: Yay for 2lb loss!!! And isn't it so GREAT to smell rain after all the wind we've been having. So thankful for that. :)

Annelise: I'm sorry to hear your MS is back. I hope you feel better soon.

Ron/Heather: I wishing that everything turns out for the better for you.

Julie: Glad to hear you and baby are doing well considering. *HUGS* You're still in my prayers and thoughts.

AFM: Well exercising is up YAY! I've been walking about 25 minutes a day which is better than nothing i suppose but i'm happy about it. It has helped my round ligament pains BUT I experienced my first ever leg cramp last night. WOW! now i know what my husband goes through cause he does get them about twice a year. OUCH, although mine didn't last as long as his usually do. I immediately jumped out of bed and sat up and it went away, whew! Right now that leg has a dull ache. Anyone know how to prevent these? I really do not want them to get worse.
  • pmaria10
    Options
    Wow!! My ticker says that i have less than 100 days to go now. WOW!!!
  • sthorp1179
    sthorp1179 Posts: 104
    Options
    Annabelle: Yay for 2lb loss!!! And isn't it so GREAT to smell rain after all the wind we've been having. So thankful for that. :)

Annelise: I'm sorry to hear your MS is back. I hope you feel better soon.

Ron/Heather: I wishing that everything turns out for the better for you.

Julie: Glad to hear you and baby are doing well considering. *HUGS* You're still in my prayers and thoughts.

AFM: Well exercising is up YAY! I've been walking about 25 minutes a day which is better than nothing i suppose but i'm happy about it. It has helped my round ligament pains BUT I experienced my first ever leg cramp last night. WOW! now i know what my husband goes through cause he does get them about twice a year. OUCH, although mine didn't last as long as his usually do. I immediately jumped out of bed and sat up and it went away, whew! Right now that leg has a dull ache. Anyone know how to prevent these? I really do not want them to get worse.

Leg cramps are usually caused by a deficiency of Calcium or Magnesium.

Thanks for everyone putting my mind at ease, I guess I've got an overactive mind I'm just going to focus on the positives and que sera sera.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I get them, I take calcium and magnesium supplement.
  • pmaria10
    Options
    Oh wow thanks for the advise ladies. I will up my calcium intake and hope that helps.Thanks again!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Yay Ron, I am glad your apt went well. And 4 lbs. is not bad at all! You are doing great girl!

AnneElise- boo about the ms. That is the pits! I have been getting really nautious again, but I haven't thrown up for awhile. I hope that you will find relief soon!

Annabelle, that is awesome you lost 2 lbs. I bet that made you happy.

As of late I have been having issues going to the bathroom, tmi I know. But after it started happening my weight shot up 4 lbs. in a very short time... I am trying all sorts of things to be regular but I am not having a lot of success. I just hate that my weight may not be my actual weight. The last time this happened and I finally got it back to normal I went down about 4 lbs. So who knows. I know people threw out advice on this matter awhile ago, but because I wasn't having issues then, I didn't remember the info. Does anyone have any good advice? My daily intake on fiber is higher than the daily recommendation, I also take Colace.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the kind words about moving in. All is going well. Yesterday I got the kitchen put away and organized, our bathroom, and all of our clothes put away. So now I can go a little slower because I have the essentials taken care of. I just love being in my own place. It's funny, when I drop something or make a loud noise, my first instint is to feel bad because of people who live below me, and then I remember, "Duh, this is my house, no one heard that.." :happy:
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    As of late I have been having issues going to the bathroom, tmi I know. But after it started happening my weight shot up 4 lbs. in a very short time... I am trying all sorts of things to be regular but I am not having a lot of success. I just hate that my weight may not be my actual weight. The last time this happened and I finally got it back to normal I went down about 4 lbs. So who knows. I know people threw out advice on this matter awhile ago, but because I wasn't having issues then, I didn't remember the info. Does anyone have any good advice? My daily intake on fiber is higher than the daily recommendation, I also take Colace.

In the beginning of my pregnancy I was having issues too, and my Dr. recommended a daily stool softener, such as Colace. I also have a powdered fiber supplement that I add to my cereal or water.

How much water are you drinking? I know that for me, if I don't drink a significant amount of water the stool softener and fiber don't really help much at all.

I would try drinking more water, unless you're already drinking a lot. Otherwise, I would maybe try some power pudding if you feel really backed up, or it's been several days since you've gone.

1 cup applesauce + 3/4 cup prune juice + 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran. Mix together in a tupperware and it will have a pudding like consistency. Take one tablespoon in the morning followed by a glass of water.

Hope this helps!