April 2011~No Late Night Snacking!

Options

Replies

• smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Today is only April 2nd. I will joint. My cut off point will be 8:30 p.m. and no wine. That only make me snack more. Blew it last night at a card party but I am actually only joining today.
    smwert
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    yesterday, I thought I did really well. I did have a snack last night, it wasn't very late. And it was only a nutrigrain bar, so I consider that a success.

me 1, LNS 0
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good day today, nice to be of work, had my 'cheat' morning but ...

Me:2/LNS:0

Hope everyone's having a fab weekend x
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    You may have noticed I changed my profile pic to me as a little kid. Remember what it was like to grab a group of kids in the neighborhood and play baseball in the field? Tag? Hide and go seek? Jump rope? Relay races? Riding bikes? All awesome exercise without us even knowing it. What about the days off no bills, work, stress? Let's embrace our childhood and change our pics (for atleast one week).
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @steph_135: everyone's body is different, of course, but my doctor told me that I should *always* eat some protein right before bed. Your metabolism is always working at some level. If it wasn't, your heart would stop beating and you'd stop breathing and you'd be dead. Or a zombie, whatever, I don't judge what people do with their afterlives...

Anyway, your metabolism does still have work to do while you're asleep. So normally, it just burns stuff it already has. Which is good if you want to lose fat, but bad if you don't want to lose muscle. The chemical formula that creates energy requires three parts fat to one part protein. So if you don't eat enough protein, your body harvests what it needs from your muscles and you lose muscle mass along with the fat.
    Now remember, the more muscle mass you have, the better and more efficient your body is at burning calories. So the last thing you want to do is lose weight by losing muscle. 'Cause that just makes it more difficult to lose any more weight. It becomes a vicious cycle (and we're back to horror movie territory...)

Like I said, everyone's body is different. Mine doesn't process insulin properly, so I need to manually control the process by not eating carbs and by eating protein every three hours. This makes sure everything keeps going at the same steady pace. I've only been doing this for 2 1/2 weeks now, but I saw an immediate improvement in my attitude & happiness (no more "crashing" and feeling exhausted all the time) and I've lost seven pounds. And I'm also sleeping better than I have in years, so I'm pretty sure the thing about "if you're digesting food you won't be able to sleep" is a myth. Sugary foods & carbs, yes, possibly, they spike your metabolism so I could see them keeping you awake. But personaly I've had no problem with proteins.

Also, if someone tells you anything will ferment in your stomach, I would question their knowledge of biochemistry. Your stomach is full of very strong acids, so there's no way anything could "ferment" in there. You're right that your metabolism slows down a bit while you sleep, so it's possible that food could take a bit longer to be absorbed, I don't know. But the fermentation process takes days, weeks or even months. Ask anybody who makes wine or beer as a hobby. So anyway, even if your stomach *wasn't* filled with acid, your food still wouldn't ferment just from being there overnight. Hope that puts your mind at rest. One less thing to worry about. :-)
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This is one of my biggest downfalls.

So, April 1 i succeeded. Today, Fail.

ME: 1, LNS: 1
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Me: 2 ~ LNS: 0
    What about the days off no bills, work, stress?
    That was MY favourite part!

AdAstra47... Thanks for the info! I wish I could eat more protein, but I refuse to eat too much of it unless it's grass-fed free-range animals. If I just eat protein, I'm hungry within an hour. And just a fun fact: if I eat before bed, I get nightmares. Maybe "ferment" wasn't the right word, and I'm not claiming to be a scientist. I'm just recalling things I've read. Everyone needs to stay as informed as they can with their information.
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Me: 2 ~ LNS: 0

Smwert & aquasw16-Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Teamleela-Those were the good days!
  • juliee77x
    juliee77x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I so need this goal! I eat good during the day and of course, it's sort of a self-sabotage!!!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    WOW, what a happy and chatty team this month :happy:

In spite of AdAstra's posts, I will still challenge myself this month to stay away from food for at least 2 hours before going to bed. I don't have time to read all the info right now, but I know this much: my tummy deserves a two/three hours break after each meal :smile:. Time to process the food I eat without being bombed with new one, hehe.

So I'll go for 9 p.m.

So far, I had a good start and then a sort of fall (but I don't plead guilty) last night, so
    Me: 1 - LNS: 1
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Me: 1
    LNS: 1 (had wine at my writer's group! It's practically required...)
  • hyper_stitch
    Options
    Getting my butt to bed before I break! It's 10pm in the UK ...

Me 3/ LNS 0
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Count me in. My cut off time is 8:00 p.m.

Me 1 Lns 1
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    This is the first weekend in a long time that I didn't overdo it, at night, or any part of the day. I go to the doc tomorrow and I know I have to weigh. I'm not as scared as I would have been in the past though. I also think this challenge is helping me because I would have to come on here and admit that I gave it to late night snacking!

Thanks for the support.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Me 3/LNS 0
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Happy to report: Me: 2 - LNS: 1
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This challenge totally saved me last night! I started pushing myself off the couch toward the kitchen three separate times and stopped all three when I remembered the challenge!

Me: 2
    LNS: 1
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Me: 3 ~ LNS: 0
    This is the first weekend in a long time that I didn't overdo it, at night, or any part of the day.
    Great job Leela!! :drinker:
    This challenge totally saved me last night! I started pushing myself off the couch toward the kitchen three separate times and stopped all three when I remembered the challenge!
    That is excellent!! :drinker:
  • hyper_stitch
    Options
    loving the challenge, keep it up everyone .....

Me 4 / LNS 0
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Me 2 LNS 1