consult with a dietician - key lessons learne

Options
pandafoo
pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
today i had my first meeting with a dietician named ryan, and i'd like to share with you some things that i learned. there are of course other differing points of view and numerous nutrition resources, but i think these topics are worth exploring/researching... so that we can make the most informed decision about our health. :)

the 3 things that ryan emphasized the most are:

1) POST WORKOUT NUTRITION

after any workout, whether cardio or strength training, it is important to refuel our body with the right nutrients. this way, we can recover more effectively, replace our muscles with glycogen, build muscle mass and burn more body fat, and see results faster.

he recommended:
- something that's easy to digest (NO fat or animal meats, and ideally liquid)
- carbs are most important - a food with a high-glycemic index (GI) is best, so it can be absorbed quickly
- easy-digesting protein - he recommended whey

examples are:
- a 20-oz orange/fruit punch gatorade with one scoop of whey powder (whey protein is most easily digested) - supposedly, it will taste like a creamsicle
- milk/yogurt (e.g., chocolate milk)
- fruit

his top pick was a mixture of gatorade/whey protein - which is absorbed most quickly. after exercise, you want a spike in insulin from simple sugars, because it will cause the body to revert to an anabolic state and help you gain muscle. in contrast, you do NOT want a high GI food during other parts of the day, because the spike in insulin will make cells more sensitive to fat absorption. so if you do eat a fruit during the day, be sure to accompany it with a handful of nuts, an ounce of cheese, etc. to avoid the insulin spike

the TIMING of post-workout nutrition is also critical. he said the "window of opportunity" is 45 minutes (reference is a study by Drs. John Ivy and Robert Portman), and ideally it should be taken within 15-30 minutes post-workout. beyond the 45-min window, your muscles become less sensitive and efficient at replenishing glycogen stores. ryan also recommended a full meal within 60-90 minutes post-workout.

i know the topic of EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES is hugely debated on MFP! =), but he agrees it is very important, and suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-recovery nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.

2) FISH OIL
ryan is a huge advocate of fish oil, a source of omega-3 (linolenic acid) EPA. omega 3s are instrumental in reducing inflammation in our bodies, which is associated with CVDs, cancer, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, etc. given that my mom has cancer right now, this really made me pay attention.

ideally, the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in our diets should be 2:1 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909). i agree on the importance of trying to be close to this ratio - my daytime job is managing the similac infant formula business in international markets, and the ratio of similac's omega 6 to omega 3 is around 2:1. if this is good for infants, why shouldn't we also consider it seriously as adults?

however, with Western diets, the ratio is around 16:1. omega 6 is readily found in corn oil, safflower oil, and other sources. to make the ratio close to 2:1, it is important to supplement our bodies with omega 3. i asked ryan about flax seeds, which i have a bag of sitting in my fridge. he said that's a source of alpha-linolenic acid, which the body will need to convert to omega 3. however, the conversion rate is under 10%, so it's best to get omega-3 straight from fish oil.

i'm averse to any type of pills, so he said if i didn't want to take them, another option is a fish oil supplement made by a company named Coromega, and it comes in gel form in flavors such as orange and lemon/lime. it's actually in the top 10 vitamin/supplements in amazon.com, so i just ordered 2 boxes - will let you know how that goes! :)

3) NET CALORIES
-another debate on MFP is the net number of calories to eat. some people think it's totally okay to eat 1200 calories or fewer, and/or not eat back exercise calories at all. my approach has been to try to have my net calories be above my BMR. to me, it makes the most sense. BMR is what my body would be burning if i did nothing all day. i felt like if my net calories were consistently below my BMR, then my body would feel it's not getting enough fuel to get by. ryan agreed with having NET calories be above BMR, so that i can lose weight in a healthy way.

from his POV, my BMR and total metabolic rate should determine my weight loss goal. using my numbers as an example, my BMR is 1447 and my total metabolic rate is 1881 calories/day. with my BMR, he said my goal should be no more than 0.5 pounds per week. this would keep the deficit at 250 calories, and help me stay above my BMR. he recommended that i eat 1500-1600 calories, and try to be closer to 1600. he emphasized more than once that my goal should be to eat a net of 1600 calories NO MATTER WHAT.

i then asked, "what if i'm not hungry?" there are many times i've thought, "i should eat more so that my net calories are above BMR" but i won't because i'm not hungry. i've also seen the "i'm not hungry" rationale many times on mfp. he said that i can add healthy fats such as nuts and avocado to my dishes. he also pointed out that as i realize how much food i can eat, and still lose weight, it will give me some freedom in enjoying food, instead of feeling restricted by "a diet." i have to admit, he has a point. head knowledge wise, i know i could eat a lot more to reach my BMR, and still lose weight, but then fear of gaining weight or stalling my progress takes a hold of me. it would be awesome to have freedom in enjoying food, and more of it.

many of us (myself included) want quick results, and would rather go with a 1000 calorie deficit or more. so i can see why the idea of having your net calories be above your BMR, with the possible tradeoff of having a smaller weight loss rate, will not appeal to some people, and that's okay. progress can be achieved thru many avenues. if you happen to be plateauing, however, try upping your net calories to be above BMR, and see what happens. for me, i've come to realize that losing weight in a healthy manner is the most important, so i'm wiling to go with a smaller weight loss each week.

ryan also said that a diet of 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat would be good. finally, i asked about a good book i could read about nutrition, and he suggested "cracking the metabolic code" by james lavalle. i just downloaded it onto my kindle, and based on the initial scan, it mentions many things that ryan talked about tonight.

so that's a summary of my 1st consult with a dietician. i decided to go with 3 more sessions with him, with the next one being tomorrow. will share more as i learn! :) i also look forward to learning from you, and your experiences/successes with post-workout nutrition, general nutrition info, etc.

here's to our health! :)

Replies

• fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the info. Really, really interesting.
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. The information was most helpful.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Spot on!

:smile:
  • hollycurran
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, Especially the information about GI foods, and that we need to have low GI during the day (Except for after workout). I have just started replacing my high GI snacks throughout the day with low GI, and I really can tell a difference! I used to be so starving during the day that I kept reaching for my special K bars, and all of my other high gi snack foods that i thought were healthy. I feel so much better now that I'm eating low gi foods, I just stay nice and satisfied throughout the day.
  • PrincessPoma
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I've shared it with several friends! :smile:
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • locomotion
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, some great info there! :flowerforyou:
  • katierg
    katierg Posts: 42
    Options
    Spot on!

:smile:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for all of that info. i know that i am not eating enough cals but am one of the ones that are afraid to eat that much. i think that since i have so much to lose that i am ok for now. once my daily goes down, i think that i will have to start eating some of my exercise cals. we will see. thanks for the info and i look forward to your next post!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hsin! Really informative! I need to look at eating more now I think...
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, Hsin! Really interesting useful info, and it always helps to have things like that reinforced.
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Thanks SO much for sharing! :)
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Very helpful & answered questions I didnt even know I had.
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - helpful to know about the post workout eating.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Great post Hsin! Thanks for sharing. I already see some things I need to improve in my own diet.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for taking the time to send this out- I can use all of this information!! :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Great information. I can see a couple of changes that could help me out a bit. Thanks for sharing.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    GREAT information, friend. I learned several things. and will be putting this advice into practice starting TODAY!
    i know the topic of EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES is hugely debated on MFP! =), but he agrees it is very important, and suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-recovery nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Really good info. My trainer has taken many nutrition courses and has me on what most would could consider high calorie compared to the food intake I see on here. I eat all day long and never feel hungry or full for that matter just always satisfied. I'm doing 40/40/20 ratio at this point. My goal is to gain lean muscle and eventually lose 11% body fat but it is a slow process. Interested to hear everything else you learn over the course of your appointments. Thanks for sharing!