Replies

• lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing, I'm taking notes! Very informative.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thanks !
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thanks !
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

i know the topic of EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES is hugely debated on MFP! =), but he agrees it is very important, and suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-recovery nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.

Thanks for sharing- I thought this particular part made a TON of sense. I had that "ah-hah" light-bulb-moment. :wink:
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing , very good tips in there.
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great info-Thanks!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    very informative :) thank you for taking the time to share that with us
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's sad to think that this "dietician" is getting paid for his advice.

That "window of opportunity" has been disproven time and time again. That information is years old. There is no anabolic window after lifting where you need to rush home and down a protein shake.

We call that broscience.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • Norma_24
    Norma_24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! very helpful and answered some of my questions..
  • SamanthaSteg
    SamanthaSteg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing what you learned! I'm definitely going to take some good information away from it and apply it to myself
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    today i had my first meeting with a dietician named ryan, and i'd like to share with you some things that i learned. there are of course other differing points of view and numerous nutrition resources, but i think these topics are worth exploring/researching... so that we can make the most informed decision about our health. :)

the 3 things that ryan emphasized the most are:

1) POST WORKOUT NUTRITION
    - a 20-oz orange/fruit punch gatorade with one scoop of whey powder (whey protein is most easily digested) - supposedly, it will taste like a creamsicle
    his top pick was a mixture of gatorade/whey protein - which is absorbed most quickly.
    2) FISH OIL
    ryan is a huge advocate of fish oil, a source of omega-3 (linolenic acid) EPA. omega 3s are instrumental in reducing inflammation in our bodies, which is associated with CVDs, cancer, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, etc. given that my mom has cancer right now, this really made me pay attention.

i asked ryan about flax seeds, which i have a bag of sitting in my fridge. he said that's a source of alpha-linolenic acid, which the body will need to convert to omega 3. however, the conversion rate is under 10%, so it's best to get omega-3 straight from fish oil.
    Thanks so much for sharing - definitely food for thought.

I've been using a post-workout/recovery drink made by tossing 2-3 Tbsp of orange gatorade powder along with a scoop of vanilla whey protein into a shaker with 12-16 ounces of water and while I realize it's purely anecdotal, I definitely noticed a significant decrease in muscle soreness in the days following hard workouts when I started using that blend. 2.5 tbsp of the gatorade concentrate mixes up as 20oz of "normal" gatorade, so this recipe is nearly identical to ryan's suggestion without the bulk (or environmental impact) of having to buy/transport/dispose of 20oz bottles. It's also delicious, and does taste very much like a creamsicle.

I would be interested in hearing his thoughts on flax oil v. flax seeds, as I have yet to find a fish oil supplement that I can both tolerate and which I trust to not be laden with heavy metals and pcb's... (if you visit him again and happen to think of it, I'd love to hear what he has to say there)
    Again, thanks for sharing!
  • Krystle_V
    Krystle_V Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

i know the topic of EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES is hugely debated on MFP! =), but he agrees it is very important, and suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-workout nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.

This is so terribly wrong, i don't see how the guy has a job.
    Yes you should eat back excercise calories.
    But the whole eating it back during post workout is also a myth. Digestion is an all day thing. The window of opportunity after weight training is much closer to 24 hours than 45 minutes.. eating 300 cals worth of carbs at 1 pm before your workout or at 7pm after your workout is still the same. Eating is before doesn't mean it stores as fat.
    This guy is a quack. If you take 20 minutes to do some research you can see that he's feeding you BS.

I can eat a 2000 calorie breakfast. Then eat 600 calories after my workout. and it would be the same for me if I ate 2600 cals spaced throughout the day provided I hit the same macros (fat/protein/carbs)
  • FreeToBeMeIn2014
    FreeToBeMeIn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful information. Thank you for sharing!!!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    bump

quit bumping this bad information. you're spreading myths to a large group of people. That's not doing them any favors
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I normally consume anywhere from 1600-1900 calories per day, with my net between 1200-1500, depending on how much exercise I get in. I'm pretty satisfied, and I've lost quite a bit of weight, so it's working. I like the suggestion for the post-workout drink. I get so freaked out about drinking whey protein because I'm afraid it's going to bulk me up. I'm almost finished with the gigantor pack of slimfast shakes I bought, and that's what I've been drinking as a post-workout drink for the time being. I look forward to trying the gatorade/whey mix to see how it works.