consult with a dietician - key lessons learne

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

i know the topic of EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES is hugely debated on MFP! =), but he agrees it is very important, and suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-workout nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.

This is so terribly wrong, i don't see how the guy has a job.
    Yes you should eat back excercise calories.
    But the whole eating it back during post workout is also a myth. Digestion is an all day thing. The window of opportunity after weight training is much closer to 24 hours than 45 minutes.. eating 300 cals worth of carbs at 1 pm before your workout or at 7pm after your workout is still the same. Eating is before doesn't mean it stores as fat.
    This guy is a quack. If you take 20 minutes to do some research you can see that he's feeding you BS.

I can eat a 2000 calorie breakfast. Then eat 600 calories after my workout. and it would be the same for me if I ate 2600 cals spaced throughout the day provided I hit the same macros (fat/protein/carbs)

Does anybody have any references, from either side of this argument? This is the first time I'm hearing anyone going against the idea of post-workout nutrition. If I google all I get is tons of information promoting it. The high GI carbs post workout things comes up over and over again.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's sad to think that this "dietician" is getting paid for his advice.

That "window of opportunity" has been disproven time and time again. That information is years old. There is no anabolic window after lifting where you need to rush home and down a protein shake.

We call that broscience.

bmontgomery, I was hoping you could provide some of the studies you are referring to that refute this information. I'm looking for it but I can't find any. I've found quite a bit on post exercise glycogen recovery and muscle recovery, but I'm always open to alternate takes on a topic. For reference, here's a few I've found just by doing a quick ajcn search.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/61/4/968S.full.pdf+html?sid=267e31da-5881-4fd3-b3a2-3e1e3d60bcf9
    (take special note of the section called: Timing of carbohydrate ingestion after exercise

http://www.ajcn.org/content/72/1/106.full.pdf+html?sid=267e31da-5881-4fd3-b3a2-3e1e3d60bcf9

http://www.ajcn.org/content/49/5/944.full.pdf+html?sid=cd1d81cf-3cc4-4de1-ad13-93fc1942670e

This is an area of study that today's science hasn't mastered yet, they're always finding new and different things that are going on in our bodies, research and studies find out a new chemical reaction on almost a weekly basis, so I don't doubt that you've read research that contradicts what that dietitian said. I will say this though, most nutritional literature that I've read follows pretty closely along with what was stated above. And I hesitate to denounce it without seeing something that would prove it wrong. That being the case, personally, I'd hedge my bets against calling them a quack, that's just my opinion.
  • Skinnyme87
    Options
    good info!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    GREAT advice, all of it! I am sharing for sure.
  • kels67
    kels67 Posts: 41
    Options
    bumo :)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have any references, from either side of this argument? This is the first time I'm hearing anyone going against the idea of post-workout nutrition. If I google all I get is tons of information promoting it. The high GI carbs post workout things comes up over and over again.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing all of this info!
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I will come back and reread this later.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    3) NET CALORIES
    ryan agreed with having NET calories be above BMR, so that i can lose weight in a healthy way.

I think you're getting NET calories mixed up here. I think most here on MFP consider it as follows

NET Calories = Total Daily Caloric Intake - Calories Expended by Exercise

So NET calories should be BELOW BMR for weight loss...NOT above
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this information. It answered a lot of the questions I have had.
  • cabbie461
    cabbie461 Posts: 23
    Options
    :noway: This is totally opposite to what I am doing and I am confused.:flowerforyou: When confused i get stressed. When stressed i eat. So to stop my stressing can you explain to me how eating more calories that your BMR (mine is 2337) allows you to lose weight. Are you saying that I should be eating above my BMR. I always thought that you are what you eat. More in than you are using = gain in weight. Less =Loss.

Balance is the most important and i do take on board the importance of fish oil in a Western diet. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    3) NET CALORIES
    ryan agreed with having NET calories be above BMR, so that i can lose weight in a healthy way.

I think you're getting NET calories mixed up here. I think most here on MFP consider it as follows

NET Calories = Total Daily Caloric Intake - Calories Expended by Exercise

So NET calories should be BELOW BMR for weight loss...NOT above

no no, BMR is not maintenance, you can still be above BMR and lose weight. In fact, as you approach a healthy fat level, you SHOULD be above BMR to keep the weight loss steady and healthy.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think a couple of you are confusing BMR with total daily calorie expenditure. BMR stands for basal metabolic rate. It is how many calories your body would burn "while in a coma". The moment you get out of bed, brush your teeth, go about your daily activities, you are burning more than your BMR. Even a sedentary person burns about 1.2 times their BMR just from living their life.

It makes intuitive sense that if you give your body less energy than it burns while in a coma, you are depriving it of vital fuel and nutrients. If you ate exactly your BMR, you would still be in a calorie deficit and would lose weight.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This was really interesting. I find myself naturally wanting to eat closer to 1500 calories on days when I don't track as well. It is like that is where my body wants to be. I will review my BMR and all that, but this is great. I will come back to this again later, I am sure.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    thanks great info cant wait for the update
  • tj5000
    tj5000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - very helpful
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out. It was very informative.

Question though. How do I know if I am eating a high or low GI food? Is it on the label?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF SPORTS NUTRITION says:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2575187/?tool=pubmed

SUMMARY:
    The scientific literature associated with nutrient timing is an extremely popular, and thus ever-changing, area of research. Upon reviewing the available literature, the following conclusions can be drawn at this point in time:

• Prolonged exercise (> 60 – 90 min) of moderate to high intensity exercise will deplete the internal stores of energy, and prudent timing of nutrient delivery can help offset these changes.

• During intense exercise, regular consumption (10 – 15 fl oz.) of CHO/electrolyte solution delivering 6 – 8% CHO (6 – 8 g CHO/100 ml fluid) should be consumed every 15 – 20 min to sustain blood glucose levels.

• Glucose, fructose, sucrose and other high-glycemic CHO sources are easily digested, but fructose consumption should be minimized as it is absorbed at a slower rate and increases the likelihood of gastrointestinal problems.

• The addition of PRO (0.15 – 0.25 g PRO/kg/day) to CHO at all time points, especially post-exercise, is well tolerated and may promote greater restoration of muscle glycogen.

• Ingestion of 6 – 20 grams of EAAs and 30 – 40 grams of high-glycemic CHO within three hours after an exercise bout and immediately before exercise have been shown to significantly stimulate muscle PRO synthesis.

• Daily post-exercise ingestion of a CHO + PRO supplement promotes greater increases in strength and improvements in lean tissue and body fat % during regular resistance training.

• Milk PRO sources (e.g. whey and casein) exhibit different kinetic digestion patterns and may subsequently differ in their support of training adaptations.

• Addition of Cr to a CHO + PRO supplement in conjunction with regular resistance training facilitates greater improvements in strength and body composition as compared with when no Cr is consumed.

• Dietary focus should center on adequate availability and delivery of CHO and PRO. However, including small amounts of fat does not appear to be harmful, and may help to control glycemic responses during exercise.

• Irrespective of timing, regular ingestion of snacks or meals providing both CHO and PRO (3: 1 CHO: PRO ratio) helps to promote recovery and replenishment of muscle glycogen.
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great Post!!