Support/Accountability for 300+ gals (sorry guys)

Options

Replies

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I haven't started exercising yet, but I plan to ride my bike every morning before work. Maybe starting off with 10 mins, then working up from there...
  • dnthaveasn
    dnthaveasn Posts: 113
    Options
    I always wanted to do bike riding. I think I will get a bike soon:bigsmile:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Got my bike today!! I'm so happy! you can see it here if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/cypress.st.w/3919/36573/

My amazon.com order arrived today as well. So now I have my bike, my helmet, lights, reflectors, and lock so I'm good to go.. Now if this RAIN would only stop!
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    BTW. This bike was recommended by two different bike shops for those of us who are 300+ pounds. It's super comfy and the seat is wide, I don't even think I'll need to get a special seat.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Today is Super Saturday and I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

Is everyone ready to start the new exercise challenge tomorrow?!? Remember 3500 calorie burn. Be sure to drink plenty of water while working out so you don't dehydrate your body. Dehydration holds weight and we don't want that!

Have a great day - I will check back in later today.

:heart: tami
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    I love my bike. I could only do 20 minutes because my butt was in too much pain to do any more. I also couldn't keep a good cadence because I had to keep coasting so I could lift my butt off the seat to rest it. BUT it was still fun. All the bike "experts" say that I should develop a "tuff butt" within a week or two of riding. The good news is that my legs and lung power was great and I felt really good in that department.

I'm super excited to start the 3500 calorie challenge Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll walk/bike ride to get my burn and then on Monday I'll have to make a trip to the library and check out some new workout DVDs.

So what are you all planning to do in order to hit your burn this week?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'll be brutally honest. The burn challenge concerns me.

I have been increasing my movement this last week, but I personally wouldn't call it exercise, and the idea of working to burn 3500 exercise calories in one week feels to me as if I'll be setting myself up for failure. I've been playing around with the exercise diary and it's not helping in the concern area.

My logical side is saying that really it's a small number to strive towards and I should be able to do it, and even if I can't, well, any exercise is a good thing. But my emotional side, which is presently being heavily bombarded by other stress is saying 'no no no no no, too much, not yet, I can't do it, I can't face failure yet'.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Familiar- We can only do what we can do! If you're not to the point where you can do 3500, then I'd love to see you still participate in the challenge with us but do it on your own terms. I participate in things on my own terms all the time. When I go to an exercise class do you actually think I do the jumping jacks? OH heck no! I just sort of squat down and raise up my arms. I'm still participating, but I'm doing it in a way that won't give me an aneurism! If you want to participate in the challenge then you can just set a different number that you know you can reach if you work hard...

Of course there are times when we're emotionally depleted and we simply can't deal with anything extra. If that's the case with you then there's nothing wrong with sitting this one out as you work on other things. We'll all still be here to support you no matter what.
  • idahogirl71
    Options
    Familiar please DON'T stress over the exercise challenge!! As missjules said, set a realistic goal for yourself. Then the next week increase from there. We will all be at different fitness levels and this is supposed to be fun and encouraging. If you would like to post your goal and your progress with it that would be great. But please, please, please don't stress over this!! That is not what this challenge is about! If I can be of one on one support to you let me know :). And believe me when I started this journey in January I thought 3500 calories burned in a week was going to kill me.

Everyone be sure to post your weights tomorrow (if you are comfortable in doing so). We haven't had any updates recently. And let's all get prepared for doing some movement this next week.

tami
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    MissJules... Idahogirl... thanks. I appreciate it. Believe it or not I'm struggling with a perfectionist mindset. I'm one of those who when I set a goal for myself I'll near kill myself to reach it. It's a great way to be in some respects but when it comes to things like this it's always led, in the past, to my becoming overwhelmed and giving up.

I've thought about it and I'm going to be a little less structured in the numbers and use the challenge for setting a baseline. I honestly have no clue what my body can do at this point, so daily exercise, to my honest limit. After the first week I can see what I can do and work towards upping it.

Kind of like what I'm doing with my food diary, which at present still needs a lot of work even though my calories are good.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Between a 55 minute morning walk and 70 minutes on the Wii (35 afternoon & evening), I burned 922 calories on 5/22. However, I have barely moved all day today. Need to do something about that ASAP!
  • rainbowdiva39
    Options
    Count me in! I need this type of support group!

Name: Rainbowdiva39
    MFP start date: May 12, 2011
    MFP start weight: 347
    Current Weight: ? (been traveling; haven't weighed in yet but I will be this Thursday)
    Goal Weight: 130
    #1 reason to lose weight: To live a long and healthy life and to be active with my 8 year old daughter!
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Weighed in yesterday 1.8lbs down! So that was exciting considering I went to a cookout this weekend and pretty much ate whatever I wanted...Im worried it will creep up on me this week so Im glad for the exercise challenge!

I am still finding it hard to resist temptation...this morning they had panera bagels at work and instead of eating the healthy breakfast I brought I went ahead and had a bagel...I'm kicking myself for it but am just going to try harder to eat better through out the day...I figure at least I got it out of the way early in the day :)

I start summer semester classes tonight so I wont have time to actually go out and exercise today but I am thinking about coming home after class and playing some Wii bowling or something just to get a little bit of activity in today! :)

Hope everyone is having a great week so far!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Exercise check in
    Sunday 5/22 - 125 minutes, 922 calories :happy:
    Monday 5/23 - 20 minutes, 150 calories :grumble:

I've already got a walk in today, though, so I'm off to a better start than yesterday.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Firstly, Welcome RainbowDiva

Ug, so I didn't do ANY exercise on Sunday or Monday, because I had a stomach bug. I feel better today but still have that shaky feeling. I'm going to try to get 500 burn today and then make up the rest during the remainder of the week. I CAN DO THIS CHALLENGE!
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Ok, due to my hubby's schedule and mine conflicting, I'm unable to work out Mon-Wed, but Thurs-Sun, I'm riding my bike. On Mon-Wed, I'm just trying to park a little further from work, so at least I've got that going for me. :huh:

I upped my water intake last week to where it's supposed to be and just started seeing the results yesterday (potty every 1/2 hr! LOL)...but from yesterday morning to this morning, I lost 2 lbs, so perhaps the extra water is working.

I also took my before pics and measurments yesterday, so we'll see. Good luck everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    Well, the exercise didn't pan out well. I took a shot at it, apparently overdid it, and have suffered ever since. Pain. Pain. Pain. And since I have to be on my feet a fair portion of my work day that's not a viable option. So... what I've done this week is added movement to my days. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Actually climbing the stairs for no other reason than to climb them. Adding walks around the warehouse when I can.

I have no clue how I would count any of this in calories, but I'm not really worried about the cals I'm burning as much as I am trying to increase how well I get around. Right now a flight of stairs has me huffing and puffing and red faced. I know the red faced is going to continue, especially as summer kicks in fully, but the huffing and puffing is what I'm working on making go away.

A recent customer of mine, who happens to be a trainer/bodybuilder gave me some tips on proper breathing. I'd never really thought about breathing as being something one would have to work on, but it kind of makes sense.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Weigh in is tomorrow... i have gone over quite a bit on my sugar but still under my calories. I have yet to ever be over on my calories which is a huge accomplishment for me. Tomorrow is 1 week since i last weighed in. I weighed in at 366.7 on May 22nd. Wish me luck tomorrow. Oh yeah i found out i am addicted to subways orchard chicken salad but i get it on wheat bread a 6" sub and no condiments nor cheese. My sodium intake is rarely under 2,000 but my bp is really good! On 5/10 it was 112/70 on 5/16 110/70 and on 5/25 108/70 my bp has been going down a lot with the weight loss. I haven't been able to exercise much because i only 3 weeks post-op but i walk around walmart, etc when i go out.
  • idahogirl71
    Options
    Hello all,
    Sorry I had gone missing this week! My husband and I have been having some issues in our marriage and he decided he wanted a separation rather than work on things together so he left last night. The 6th of June would have been our 6 month anniversary. Needless to say I have been under an incredible amount of stress over the last week and have gained a few pounds. I slept better last night (after crying myself to sleep) because though he walked out at least the fighting and yelling at each other has stopped. I didn't log my calories, but I did get in a LOT of exercise. I guess being stressed and needing time away does do some good! I burned over 8000 calories this week so I am happy with that!!
    Anyway, I am looking forward to the scale moving back down. I know it will now that my stress level will be less intense (or at least I hope it will be). If he ever decides to be a man and take responsibility for his part of the problem in our marriage then maybe, just maybe, we can work things out. Only time will tell!! Have a Super Sunday everyone!!

Tami
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Oh Tami, I'm so sorry to hear that! Especially after only being married for 6 months. :cry: Had you guys been together for a long time?

Anyway, I'm glad you got your exercise in. It's a good way to get out aggression. :wink: You started this group, so you know you've got our support. You'll see that scale go down. You've GOT THIS!!! :happy: