Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I wanted to take a minute out to post to this thread.

You, sir, the OP -- I would like to install you as Grand Overlord of the World.

Couldn't agree more (I loved Lawn Jarts/Darts!).

I'm saddened to see people getting softer and softer. School buses that stop at every block. People scurrying from one climate-controlled environment to another. I see people quickly whip out their car's sun-visor to the driver's side window when the sun has barely come over the horizon.

I've even seen someone on a "news" program all but recommend an entire second kitchen exclusively for cooking chicken.

Humanity is starting to live in self-made bubble.

Over-sterilization does a disservice to our immune systems. My friend had a baby and when I was about to hold him, out came the hand sanitizer. "Wait! Use some of this before you handle the baby!" Hand sanitizer? People need germs to help their immune systems get stronger. I played in mud all day long. My mom kicked us out of the house and said "disappear!" so she could have a cup of coffee with the neighbor. That would be child abuse today. Kids are made to wear helmets and pads to walk to the mailbox. My mom would put us on the counter, dress a gaping bloody wound, and send us off to play and get thrashed again, all while talking to a girlfriend on the phone. Maybe people today don't have enough real problems so they're making problems out of things that don't need to be. If there was such a thing as hand sanitizer when I was a kid, we probably couldn't afford it. haha!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just remembered another one.

When I finally got old enough to sit on the porch with the grown ups, I over heard some ask of the kids playing in the yard, "Shouldn't some tell them they're playing in poison?" to which some one replied,"Nah... they'll learn."
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I grew up in the country and had no problem riding my bike on a gravel road at top speed - all without a helmet! We also rode dirt bikes in the woods and jumped fences on horses. And I can't count the number of times my dad would have us in the yard picking up leaf and stick piles, which usually had ants in them. If we complained, we got to do it alone while the other kids did something else.
    For fun, we picked berries off the side of the road and ate them on the spot -all without washing them first!!! yikes! We swam in ponds, put on shows, went fishing and had a great time.

Oh, how times have changed...there's no way I'd let my son go exploring on his bike all day now. My parentsdidn't have to worry about child molesters and kidnappers, but sadly, I do.
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For fun, my Dad would take us up on the hill to pick up a truckload of rocks. This was a particularly good way to cure my (then 17 year old) older brother of a severe hangover.
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    I have thought this a million times as an adult, and particularly as a parent: My mom wanted me dead.

I won't repeat the many, many things that have already been listed that my mother put me through, but I will mention that when I was 4-5 we lived on the borders of a forest. A real forest. An old-growth forest, up here in WA state. There was little underbrush, but there were all sorts of animals out there that could have eaten me, there were rivers to drown in, poisonous plants, miles and miles to get lost in. My mother would tell me to go play in the woods, and I'd stay in the woods, by myself, from the time I got up until the time I could barely see through the dark to get out of the forest--in the summer, and in the snow. So deep into the woods, that no one would even know where to start looking for me if they wanted to. Looking back on it, this was neglect for sure, even by the standards of those times. When I got hungry, I'd eat the fat, green clovers the grew on the forest floor. When I had to go to the bathroom, behind a tree I went. And I just made believe.

One one hand, I think it's sad, and I feel sad for Little Me. On the other hand, I will never forget that place or how much a part of it I was, so long as I live.

I really, really love this thread.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This thread is SO funny (and true:grumble: )

A few off the top of my head:

I remember riding in the camper with my brother every weekend to the campground while Mum and Dad were driving :huh: .

Dad teaching me how to ride a 2 wheeler by pushing me down a hill and yelling, "PEDAL!" with no helmet . A steep hill and I was 5! I didn't make it :frown:

Dad grabbing me from the front of the car (I was in the back seat) when he went around a corner and the door flew open and OUT I was going and then saying, "I told you not to lean on the door! Like it was my fault!

Playing with friends and Mum and Dad having no idea where we were for the whole day but if we weren't home for dinner, we were up the creek (again starting around age 4!)

Catching the bus all by myself at an early age to go to my activities that my parents just picked me up at and never watched :indifferent: .

Mum and Dad smoking in the house and in the car with the windows rolled up. Not to mention the teachers at school billowing the smoke out of the staff room!
  • Dang... that was hard times...
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    This is the best thread ever!! Hilarious.

My dad use to encourage me to smoke his cigarettes when I was about 4-5 yrs old to 'scare me off it' but I ended up getting addicted. I'd hide behind the sofa taking quick puffs because I thought it was cool. That was until he taught me to inhale it deeply and I choked my guts out. bleugh
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have thought this a million times as an adult, and particularly as a parent: My mom wanted me dead.

I won't repeat the many, many things that have already been listed that my mother put me through, but I will mention that when I was 4-5 we lived on the borders of a forest. A real forest. An old-growth forest, up here in WA state. There was little underbrush, but there were all sorts of animals out there that could have eaten me, there were rivers to drown in, poisonous plants, miles and miles to get lost in. My mother would tell me to go play in the woods, and I'd stay in the woods, by myself, from the time I got up until the time I could barely see through the dark to get out of the forest--in the summer, and in the snow. So deep into the woods, that no one would even know where to start looking for me if they wanted to. Looking back on it, this was neglect for sure, even by the standards of those times. When I got hungry, I'd eat the fat, green clovers the grew on the forest floor. When I had to go to the bathroom, behind a tree I went. And I just made believe.

One one hand, I think it's sad, and I feel sad for Little Me. On the other hand, I will never forget that place or how much a part of it I was, so long as I live.

I really, really love this thread.

I think God watched over you. It's amazing that you weren't scared at all, it's a real gift to have that memory. I spent a lot of time alone like that as a kid. I just thought it was normal, except I'm still that way. Sometimes it was lonely but I kept busy exploring the "creeks" (waterways) around where I lived and collecting frogs and tadpoles.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha! My brothers had one of those wood burning play sets and they'd burn words into things of wood. Ooh, I remember I touched it when it was hot once. NEVER DID IT AGAIN. Always laid in the backseats without seat belts on long trips. Once we got pulled over and we all had to buckle real fast and then play asleep, haha!
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    just b/c you didnt get every thing you wanted as a child and did things you didnt want to do doesnt mean your parents tried to murder you or disliked you!! what child doesnt like raw cookie doe!! and who the hell wore seatbelts that long ago!?!?. all those things your complainging about are called CHORES which every child should have (maybe not soo many but tht was then and this is now) no TV after 8 sounds good to me. 9 was my bedtime. (lights from a tv/comp trigger your brain tht its NOT bedtime and wont be soon) stop feeling sorry for yourself and be happy you had parents tht raised you. BECAUSE NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU THINK YOU HAD IT, THERES ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO HAD IT WORSE!!. k.

Funny how everyone seemed to get the sarcasim and laughter out of this post but you seem to be the only one who didnt get it... LOL! that makes me laugh... you getting rude and making yourself look like an *kitten*.

it is funny right, how did i NOT notice everyone else's not soo upset comments!?. well obviously i DID nd didnt care :):) funny how everyone else saw tht this was a touchy subject for me but you my dear did not. quote and quote :):):) ''that makes me laugh... you getting rude and making yourself look like an *kitten*.''
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Mine too! They made me shovel snow on snow days. Expected me to get good grades and did not reward me with anything when I did. I even got my *kitten* beat when on the rare occasion I answered back.

Should of reported them to child protective services!

Dad said to go ahead and call someone... he was going whoop my behind until they got there :( But oh the memories , BB gun @ 4 years old, rifle the next year. Standing up on the bench front seat of the truck so I could see over the dash and being told to hold the wheel while dad hung out the window to shoot at a deer or hog. Riding on top of the dog box. Standing on a bucket to clean (scale and filet ) fish we caught that day. I owned shoes but dont recall wearing them often.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

My mom was a "progressive" liberal California hippie and she STILL paddled our *kitten* with the wooden spoon. What happened to true liberalism!?! If you so much as grab a kid wrong they throw you in jail. My bro took his kid to the bathroom for some butt-strokes in Target. The security guard said "what are you doing?" My bro said "if I don't do this now, he'll come back and steal from you in ten years. Do you want that?"
    [/quote]

Sweet jeebus jumping on a pogo stick. Your brother is my hero.
    [/quote]

Oh yes, I totally forgot the "do we need to go to the truck or bathroom threat" or the grip of death (hand on pressure point between neck and shoulder), It looked he loved me, but Dad was just daring me to mess up.... And what great comeback, it's soo true!
  • barbee55
    barbee55 Posts: 15
    Options
    *When I was growing up, we played with marbles and jacks (small objects that can lodge in your throat). We had BB guns(that could shot an eye out), we climbed to the top of the biggest tree we could find and made it sway from side to side.
    *When we went to the beach we'd get on our tire tubes, go out as far as we could go until our parents looked like ants on the sand. I remember one time the undertow took me down the beach, I was rolling and rolling with the water until it finally let me stand, I got us (took a breath) walked back to my parents, after telling mom what happened she said well go get a Yahoo (the drink), so I did and went back in to swim some more. That always made everything better!
    *We made our own sling shots out of shoe tongues, bicycle tires and just the right tree limb, then we had wars with china berry's from our tree, Dad taught us how to make our own bow and arrows using a knife to sharpen our arrows, pockets knives for a child was normal, we also played with a buoy knife by throwing it at a tree or the ground, sometime between the legs of one of our siblings to see how accurate we were with our aim . We knew to jump if it got to close to us.
    *We went trick or treating and ate food people gave us, like popcorn balls or candied apples, I don't remember anyone getting a razor blade.
    *We used a magnifying glass to start fires with leaves, wore our capes and jumped off the roof to see if we could fly. There were five of us so riding in the car was like sardines in a can. One would ride on the back of the back seat in the back window.....if you were lucky enough to get it first!
    *We walked to the store 10 blocks away to get penny candy. We'd race our bikes down the hill , skin our knees, get up and try again (No helmets).
    *We dug tunnels from one yard to another, I think my dad helped us once. HUMMM makes you wonder???
    *We had to pick our on switch when we got a spanking , if it had been reported to the authorities, they would have agreed with the parents that we needed it.
    *We drank from the water hose(what about the GERMS), chewed on weeds(could have be poison), and had a piece of white bread for a treat... we took the center out, rolled it into a ball before eating (think of the CARBS).
    How did we survive? Being locked out all day, no computer games, no texting, no phones, we had TV but only had 3 channels.
    Were our parents trying to kill us :) The kids today should be so lucky!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I've been away for a few days and I can't believe this thread is still going! :laugh: Another thing I remember is crossing the street with bare feet after the street had been tarred. The only way to get the tar off our feet was to soak them in gasoline.

Barbee, I also remember making bows and arrows, owning pocket knives, having to get out own switches (or find a belt) so Mom could spank us, popcorn balls and candied apples for Halloween (oooh, those were soooo good), using magnifying glass to start fires, and getting locked out of the house so Mom could watch her soaps. If we looked in the windows, she would close the curtains. It was clear where her priorities were, :laugh: :laugh: We only had one channel though. I remember those "rabbit ears" You had to get them adjusted just right in order to get a picture. I remember the tv repairman coming to our house to fix our tv. I also remember the picture man coming to our house (seems like it was late at night;, certainly passed our bedtime) to take a family photo.