Want real peanut butter for fewer calories?

Options

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mixing pb and greek yogurt. I melt the pb for a few seconds in the microwave before mixing so it is easier to stir in. I also add a touch of honey and cinnamon.

you all MUST try this as a dip for apple slices and baked sweet potato fries. YUM

Also, you can use this as a 'dressing' for fruit salad. If you dress grapes and banana slices with the pb/yogurt mixture, you have PB&J SALAD.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    forgive me but this is like "Want real beer for fewer calories" take one bottle of beer and add 4 bottles of water :sad:

I see where you're coming from.

Dilute the PB flavour a bit? Because I usually mix my PB with cottage cheese or oats.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    Seems like it's less about diluting the flavor, although that is probably a byproduct, and more about diluting the calories. I love pb but I stay away from it because it is SOO very high in calories and fat. I think I might try that PB2 though.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    interesting. thanks!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Do you think regular non/low fat yogurt would work? I'm not convinced about the greek yogurt hype, and it's 2x the price of regular yogurt! (at least in my area!). Has anyone tried this with the normal kind?? Thanks!! :laugh:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good!! Thank you =)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    oh how ive missed the pb
    Missed it?! I eat nuts EVERYDAY and I still eat peanut butter... especially in my oatmeal!

It is not something you have to give up... the fat is healthy and the protein gives your body a variety of protein.
    This does sound like a really neat idea... but I also think peanut butter, the good clean and all natural kind is an essential part of the diet.... why should we say good bye?

Also, my personal trainer has suggested a tablespoon of all natural non sugar added peanut butter before bed to avoid catabolic state. I am not someone who has EVER given anything up... this food is loaded with nutrients... why take it away?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have never heard of Greek Yogurt. Where do you find it? Is there a brand name I should look for?
    Greek yogurt is LOADED with protein and it is really good for you! :-D I personally eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with fresh berries. I sometimes add a stevia packet if I want it dessert like.
    Greek gods, Fage and Chobani are all great Greek yogurt brands.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Do you think regular non/low fat yogurt would work? I'm not convinced about the greek yogurt hype, and it's 2x the price of regular yogurt! (at least in my area!). Has anyone tried this with the normal kind?? Thanks!! :laugh:
    lol what aren't you convinced about? it's like 3x the protein and usually less carbs. ;) of course it completely depends on the brand.

That's a bummer it costs so much more there. :-/ do you have a trader joes or Costco? I know they both carry it for not too much money.... :-D

I LOVE IT!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I LOVE mixing pb and greek yogurt. I melt the pb for a few seconds in the microwave before mixing so it is easier to stir in. I also add a touch of honey and cinnamon.

you all MUST try this as a dip for apple slices and baked sweet potato fries. YUM
    with apples, that does sound good... and it is probably more saucey .... instead of sooo thick? I may like it will apples as I try to avoid high fat with high carb at snacks. This could be pretty tastey!
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    Also, my personal trainer has suggested a tablespoon of all natural non sugar added peanut butter before bed to avoid catabolic state. I am not someone who has EVER given anything up... this food is loaded with nutrients... why take it away?

Oh that's interesting! I eat the 100% organic peanut butter (I'm Canadian what can I say! Many of our pb's don't have sugar/salt!). I often eat 1 tbsp right before working out, and it drives me through the workout without feeling bloated or full. It's 100 calories, and I think 7-8 fat. But the only ingredient is squished peanuts! Love it! :heart: Interesting that you eat it before bed.. I might try that! :bigsmile:
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    lol what aren't you convinced about? it's like 3x the protein and usually less carbs. ;) of course it completely depends on the brand.

That's a bummer it costs so much more there. :-/ do you have a trader joes or Costco? I know they both carry it for not too much money.... :-D

I LOVE IT!

I'm not convinced that it's so AMAAAAAZING, lol. I generally watch my protein so I'm not too concerned about it. I wish we had trader joes! All the american MFP users make me jealous! We have a costco, but it's far away. I may check it out though, I do have a membership. :smile: Is it lumpy though? 'Cause I hate lumpy! Or is it just like normal yogurt?
  • lyrad63
    lyrad63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, i will have to try this!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

I LOVE IT!

I'm not convinced that it's so AMAAAAAZING, lol. I generally watch my protein so I'm not too concerned about it. I wish we had trader joes! All the american MFP users make me jealous! We have a costco, but it's far away. I may check it out though, I do have a membership. :smile: Is it lumpy though? 'Cause I hate lumpy! Or is it just like normal yogurt?
    no not lumpy... Fage (i usually eat plain or vanilla) is SUPER smooth and thick and creamy!

Chobani offers great fruit flavors in 0%, 2% and full fat.... all very creamy.
    Or, my favorite and most purchased is plain nonfat greek gods which I add berries to and use for smoothies.
    You watch your protein? as in you eat enough or try not to eat too much? I don't eat greek yogurt everyday, but it is one of the dairies my PT encourages because it is high in protein and not too high in carbs for a dairy.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Oh that's interesting! I eat the 100% organic peanut butter (I'm Canadian what can I say! Many of our pb's don't have sugar/salt!). I often eat 1 tbsp right before working out, and it drives me through the workout without feeling bloated or full. It's 100 calories, and I think 7-8 fat. But the only ingredient is squished peanuts! Love it! :heart: Interesting that you eat it before bed.. I might try that! :bigsmile:

OH yeah, I prefer Adams' chunky peanut butter myself!
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump :tongue:
  • awb_lrb
    awb_lrb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds wonderful!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am so going to try this!