HOLY TOLEDO!!! What's the biggest calorie shock you've had

Options

Replies

• mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Salads in general!!!! I thought they were supposed to be heathy! Yeah - if it's just lettuce and veggies!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My biggest shock was apple bees oriental chicken salad with dressing- 1310 calories and since its 2 for $20 meal we would split buffalo chicken-1160 calories.. SHOCKER!!!!

Also chili's crispy chicken tacos -1630 and I would ask for more sauce on the side.. that is just horrible!!!

;

My sister works at Applebee's and said that most people assume that because they're eating a salad, that means it's healthy. She said on the oriental chicken salad, the dressing doubles the calories and a lot of people actually ask for EXTRA dressing.
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden their soup, salad and breadsticks! Can't remember how many, but I do not darken that doorway anymore! Eating out is so hard. I try and stick to salads with grilled meat and no dressing. I also try and avoid the bread products...

Oh and Applebee's Maple blondie was around 900 for the whole thing. I thought I was doing good by only eating half! Lesson learned!
  • charity94
    charity94 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of mine was popcorn, but not because it was high in calories. I kept reading the label thinking, "this can't be right! I can eat the whole bag for only 60 calories?!" So now if I have a craving for chips or just want to munch during a movie I have 94% fat free popcorn.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My mom's homemade New York style cheesecake was a real slap in the pants yesterday!

I did pretty well limiting portions and making good choices during Easter brunch, so I decided to allow myself a sliver of my mom's fabulous homemade cheesecake. I still came in under my calorie goal, but that sliver of cheesecake was close to 600 calories.

I had no idea! But, lo and behold, when I put all the ingredients in the MFP recipe creator, the truth came out. It's a very good thing she only makes that cheesecake once or twice a year!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The calories of a 200gr plain chocolate easter bunny is 1088 calories! Seriously!

And I could EASILY eat the whole thing.
    But I'm not.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    - 500 cals for 1 serving of Olive garden salad + 1 breadstick. Their new soffatelli has 250% of the DV for sat fat!
    - Johnny Rocket shakes set you back 1000+ calories
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Outback steakhouse - cheese fries with ranch dressing. I think if you ate the whole order it would be around 3,000 - yike!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Agree you must eat!!

My shocker: Sonic Java Chiller 560 calories (WITHOUT the whip cream) HOLY MOLY!!

Haven't had one in over 6 months!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    My (ex) husband does a delicious cauliflower cheese - he makes adds potato, makes the sauce with a butter roux, and loads it with cheese.

After he tried to tell me it was healthy because it was "vegetables", I weighed the ingredients as he made it - even I was shocked to find that it came out at 1600 calories a portion!
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My friend works at TGIFridays and recently told me that with the new law going into effect where restaurants have to put their calories on the menu, Fridays has to redo their WHOLE menu. The reason behind this being they have absolutely nothing under 1,000 calories---even their "healthy choice foods!! She said the majority of the things are over 2,000 and they know that people won't order so they have to redo and find lower calorie foods.

That was a big shocker to me as I used to work there and would eat there a lot. Gained some weight but blamed it on college and it probably wasn't all college at all lol.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    Skyline 3 way chili. 1070 calories for one serving and I use to eat it several times a week.

Yup, ate homemade chili, full of beans, meat, homecanned tomatoes and cheese for dinner that night.

I LOVE Syline, I have even mail ordered the cans of sauce, I will have to watch that one! I had know idea! Thanks for the heads up!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    Steak and shake regular butter pecan milk shake 800 calories!!!!!!!

This is what I was thinking. My husband and I took the kids to Dairy Queen one night and I got a small carmel malt thinking it wasn't as bad as a Blizzard...Wrong! It was like 900 calories and one of the highest calorie items on the menu!
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    . Mexican rice is actually deep fried before it's steamed.

WOW I had no idea! Thanx for the heads up!
  • ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to learn that there's like 226 calories in ONE dinner roll at Texas Roadhouse. My husband and I used to go there several times a month and I would eat a good 4 or 5 rolls before our dinner even came out. Plus I had butter on the rolls.
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My biggest shock was the Buffalo Kickin Sandwich at O'Charley's = 1,180!!!! That wasn't even counting the sweet potato fries.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker was a SMALL scoop of Culver's flavor of the day -- 700 calories! Bring on the Fudgesicles instead (70 calories!)

I will have to admit that I am planning on having Baskin Robbin's June flavor of the month when it comes out. I think I will mow the lawn that day to earn it (over 1000 calories burned this weekend! )
  • luvslibby
    luvslibby Posts: 24
    Options
    That would have to be a tie between a medium-sized Dairy Queen blizzard and a pasta dish from a local Italian restaurant. It was enough to make a grown woman cry....
  • amzahn
    amzahn Posts: 5
    Options
    Those little Hostess Zingers are about 170 each. Now, mind you I discovered that after I ate too many of them. LOL
    :sad: :ohwell:
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My friend works at TGIFridays and recently told me that with the new law going into effect where restaurants have to put their calories on the menu, Fridays has to redo their WHOLE menu. The reason behind this being they have absolutely nothing under 1,000 calories---even their "healthy choice foods!! She said the majority of the things are over 2,000 and they know that people won't order so they have to redo and find lower calorie foods.

I think this is excellent, it forces restaurants to think about what they're selling too! What country is this?

No such law here in Ireland and I can't see it happening soon either, even though there was a small campaign going on about this a few months back. Going out for dinner really is a lucky dip it seems, I try to guess what's healthy-ish, but that's all I can do (nothing online either)