What's your favorite recipe with Black Beans??

Options

Replies

• breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Great thread I LOVEEEE black beans. I make my quesadillas with them included. :-)
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My black bean chilli:

One can black beans (not drained or rinsed)
    One can fire roasted tomatoes
    One pound ground beef, turkey, or soy crumbles
    One diced red bell pepper
    Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to taste

Brown meat in skillet
    Once browned combine with all other ingredients in large pot on stove, cook till heated.

:)

OMG, THAT IS HOW I MAKE MY CHILLI! lol, it is super good.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    My black bean chilli:

One can black beans (not drained or rinsed)
    One can fire roasted tomatoes
    One pound ground beef, turkey, or soy crumbles
    One diced red bell pepper
    Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to taste

Brown meat in skillet
    Once browned combine with all other ingredients in large pot on stove, cook till heated.

:)

Love this. You can also add corn and dark red kidney beans (also a little cumin for a more Southwestern taste)
  • nicholjl
    nicholjl Posts: 9
    Options
    I like to make a black bean "soup," although sometimes I make it thicker and it's like a side they used to serve at Don Pablo's restaurant (before they closed). Recipe @ http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/recipe.html?recipeID=&isSearch=2&searchFor=black+beans&whichpage=16
    It does call for some brand-name ingredients, some of which I bought, but I make this over and over and will make it up on a Sunday and eat it througout the week, so it was worth buying them. I use any white wine and don't buy the special cooking wine listed; all the other Goya products I found right in the international aisle together. The Sazon is very salty and strong (kind of like Ramen noodles seasoning packet), so I only use 1/2 of the amount. It's sooo delicious!
    I found this recipe for the PF Chang's menu item: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/525/PF_Changs_Chicken_with_Black_Bean_Sauce45476.shtml
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Veggie Burgers
    1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    Directions
    1.If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
    2.In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    3.In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    4.In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    5.Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
    6.If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

I have used as a burger without bun and topped as I normally would or I crumble over lettuce, tomato, avocado and top with salsa, makes a great taco salad! I have also substituted the chili sauce with chopped jalapenos and actually make it only this way now.

do u know the nutritional facts for this? it sounds delicious!
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Not a fan of black beans but........ these are AWESOME

Black Bean Brownies (2 WW Points each!)
    1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Makes 20 brownies-- 2 Weight Watcher Points each!

These are pretty rich and fudgy, and DH couldn't tell that they weren't "regular" brownies. They have lots of protein and fiber, too.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    OMG
    All of this sounds so delicious!
    But can we get the nutritional facts too. There seems to be a lot of carbs that go in!

And I love my black beans in a salsa based salad.

Here's my quick fix recipe

Rojo's - All Natural Salsa Pico De Gallo, 2 tbsp (Not the best, but low on calories!)
    Ready Pac - Garden Salad, 1 cups
    Generic - Bell Peppers, Raw Chopped, All Colors, 1/2 cup
    Safeway - Black Beans, 3/4 cup (Try getting the dried ones and make them yourself, lower carbs that way if you want to lose some weight)
    La Costena - Green Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, 1 peppers
    Thai chili - Finely chopped, 1 chili

Per Serving: Calories = 254 Carbs = 47 Fat = 1 Protein = 16
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite Crock Pot Recipe with Black Beans in It, its wonderful:

Slow-Cooker Latin Chicken with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
    * 3 pound(s) bone-in skinless chicken thighs
    * 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
    * Salt and pepper
    * 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika, or 1⁄2 tsp. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    * 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
    * 1 cup(s) chicken broth
    * 1/2 cup(s) salsa
    * 3 clove(s) (large) garlic, crushed with press
    * 2 can(s) (15 to 19 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 2 pound(s) sweet potatoes, peeled cut into 2-inch chunks
    * 1 jarred roasted red pepper, cut into strips (1 cup)
    * 1/3 cup(s) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    * Lime wedges

Directions

1. Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add chicken thighs and cook until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Remove skillet from heat.
    2. In same skillet, combine smoked paprika, allspice, chicken broth, salsa, garlic, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin.
    3. In 6-quart slow cooker, combine beans and sweet potatoes. Place chicken on top of potato mixture in slow cooker; pour broth mixture over chicken. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs, on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours.
    4. With tongs or slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces to large platter. Gently stir roasted red pepper strips into potato mixture. Spoon mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

Nutritional Information
    (per serving) (Makes 6 servings)
    Calories 415
    Total Fat 6g
    Saturated Fat 1g
    Cholesterol 107mg
    Sodium 875mg
    Total Carbohydrate 61g
    Dietary Fiber 12g
    Sugars --
    Protein 36g
    Calcium --
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    I make black bean burgers quite often. In a food processor I combine black beans, onions, garlic, and brown rice. Once it can form a patty I cook in some EVOO in a skillet. Wicked good!! I don't really measure though, I just add the cooked brown rice a little at a time until it gets to the correct consistency.
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to be trying one of these recipes for dinner tonight, thanks!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    1 onion, peeled and halved
    3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
    1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    5 teaspoons salt
    1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
    9 cups water
    Directions
    1.Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
    2.Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 139 | Total Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

This is from all recipes I use 1/2 pinto half black beans make a lot but can freeze super easy and tatse like eating at your fav mexican place
  • natashamots
    Options
    A friend of mine made black bean brownies for me recently and they were delicious! Very healthy dessert with low fat and high fiber. Here is a link to a recipe I found:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-Brownies/Detail.aspx

I know it sounds strange but really, they were very good!
  • epikes1
    epikes1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorites from the Food Network. Very easy and perfect for snacks!

Black Bean Hummus

Ingredients

* 1 cup cooked black beans
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges

Directions

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Hope you like it!

I meant to take out the iceberg lettuce. That is for the dipping. Obviously you wouldn't want to blend it with everything else.....that would just be a little weird.....
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Veggie Burgers
    1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    Directions
    1.If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
    2.In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    3.In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    4.In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    5.Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
    6.If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

I have used as a burger without bun and topped as I normally would or I crumble over lettuce, tomato, avocado and top with salsa, makes a great taco salad! I have also substituted the chili sauce with chopped jalapenos and actually make it only this way now.

do u know the nutritional facts for this? it sounds delicious!

I got this from the website where I found the recipe. I entered the recipes into my recipe when I made my own and the numbers there were just slightly lower, I imagine because Idk what kind of bread they used. I used Sara Lee multi grain 45 cal. It just takes one slice for whole recipe.

Serving Size 1/4 of a recipe
    Servings Per Recipe 4

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 198
    Calories from Fat 27

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3g 5 %
    Saturated Fat 0.7g 4 %
    Cholesterol 53mg 18 %
    Sodium 607mg 24 %
    Potassium 515mg 14 %
    Total Carbohydrates 33.1g 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 9.8g 39 %
    Protein 11.2g 22 %
    ** Sugars 2.1g
    Vitamin A 15 %
    Vitamin C 32 %
    Calcium 12 %
    Iron 44 %
    Thiamin 31 %
    Niacin 31 %
    Vitamin B6 16 %
    Magnesium 21 %
    Folate 53 %

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is my dad's recipe, and the beans are a-freakin'-mazing! They freeze well, and you can portion it out into single servings and take them with you for lunch. Sorry, don't have specific nutritional info, but it is very low-cal and pretty much awesome for you. Just go easy on the salt :) You can also add some chicken or other meat to it if you want some extra protein.

P.D.s Vegetarian Black Beans (Serves a Small Army)

Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup+ chopped onion (1 large yellow onion)
    • 1 each red, green, and yellow bell peppers (they sell these together
    in a package now) diced.
    • 2-5 large garlic cloves, finely minced
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 cup of fresh cilantro chopped finely
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    • 1 bag (size is up to you. If you use a big one, you will have to up
    many of the ingredients to compensate for more beans) of black
    beans cleaned and soaked over night. It takes at east 3 hours to
    cook these after soaking. I drain off most of the liquid from the
    soaking but leave enough to cover the beans. Most recipes say to
    drain off all the soaking liquid and replace it with water. Do
    whatever seems best to you. You’ll definitely have to add water
    once the beans begins cooking. Don’t forget them or they will dry
    out and burn. I usually put 2-3 inches of water on top of the beans.
    Cook them soft or almost soft before you add the rest of the
    ingredients. You can also use 3-5 cans black beans.
    • 2 (10-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes with green chilies, with
    their liquid (or regular tomatoes petite diced and the chopped green
    chilies in separate cans).
    • 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, or a cup of oj.
    • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or lime juice (you’re basically
    adding something like a mojo taste with the juices)
    2 Tbls of soy sauce
    2 Tbls. of balsamic vinegar
    • 1/2 to a whole teaspoon red pepper flakes- depending how much
    heat you want.
    • 4 cups al dente rice (Basmati tastes the best, but for brown rice is better for you, can also serve over quinoa)
    • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish as well as a dollop of sour
    cream if you wish.
    Directions
    Soak beans overnight (18-24 hours is best), then cook until tender.
    Heat oil in medium-size Dutch oven over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add onion, peppers, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are limp, about 5-8 minutes.
    Add the beans, tomatoes with chilies, cilantro, soy, balsamic vinegar, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, and hot pepper flakes. Bring to boiling, adjust heat so mixture bubbles easily, cover, and simmer 10-30 minutes. If there is not enough juice on the beans, I use chicken broth to soup it up– I find that I almost always need this since I make my beans soupy.
    Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Serve with yellow rice sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
    I add:
    2 Tbls of soy sauce
    2 Tbls. of balsamic vinegar

**Comes out to around 185-200 cals per serving, without the rice.

YUM!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love making black bean enchiladas!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute onions, garlic, and whatever veggies you want (spinach, zucchini, green or red peppers, and even sweet potatoes work well) until onions are soft. Add black beans, some pepper, chili powder, cumin, and other spices you want.

Heat low-cal tortillas in the oven for just a couple of minutes. Then take them out, fill with about 1/4 cup or a bit more of black bean and veggie mix, roll carefully, and place seam-down in a baking dish. You want the tortillas to be packed in pretty close to each other. Top with salsa or homemade enchilada sauce* or salsa and then low-cal cheddar cheese.

*For a good, quick, homemade enchilada sauce, oven-roast garlic, onion, and one large tomato for each of two enchiladas you are making. So, if you are making eight enchiladas, roast four big tomatoes or five or six medium ones. After about fifteen minutes, take out veggies and throw into a blender with chili powder and cumin to taste. I have also thrown some thawed birdseye pepper stiryfry mix in this sauce and it was terrific!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This Topic just made my day. I love mexican food and have struggled to find healthy recipes but this is loaded with them. Thanks to all!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    bump