What's your favorite recipe with Black Beans??

Options

Replies

• llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump.
  • riskay26
    riskay26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    BUMPING
    Thanks for all of the yummy posts
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of black beans but........ these are AWESOME

Black Bean Brownies (2 WW Points each!)
    1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Makes 20 brownies-- 2 Weight Watcher Points each!

These are pretty rich and fudgy, and DH couldn't tell that they weren't "regular" brownies. They have lots of protein and fiber, too.

Just made these. They're fabulous!! I cut mine into 16 brownies and put a dollop of light cool whip on top. Yum!!!
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    TOMATO BLACK BEAN SALSAIngredients

3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
    3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped*
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley

1/4 cup lime juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    Baked tortilla chips

How to make it

In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 4 cups.

Nutritional Information(per serving)

Calories: 80
    Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 0mg

Sodium: 318mg
    Carbs: 15g
    Protein:
  • kitikat
    kitikat Posts: 15
    Options
    Black Bean Soup
    This is so simple. When I make black bean soup and there is never any left over. I cook them over night in the slow cooker.

dice 1 onion
    dice couple cloves of garlic
    1 bag of dried black beans
    1 box low sodium chicken broth
    1 cans tomatoes & chiles (rotel)
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    Cook until beans are soft. Use slotted spoon to scoop out beans and place in mixer (food processor) Blend til smooth.
    Be very careful blending hot beans
    I like to blend most of the beans and leave some whole. My kids like it smooth.
    Return beans to pot and mix with broth. it will thicken

Serve with green onions, low fat sour cream or cheese.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I made a delicious omelet this morning with 1/2 cup Eggbeaters filled with 1/2 cup rinsed black beans, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon feta and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Then rolled it and topped it with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1/2 packet of wholly guacamole. Soooooo good!! Only 253 calories and kept me going all morning long.
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    saving these for later:smile:
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup salsa
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1 (19oz) can black beans (undrained)
    1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1 (4 oz) pkg crumbled goat cheese
    8 flour tortillas
    1/2 cup sour cream

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic - saute until translucent. Stir in beans, salsa, cumin & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Mash mixture slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro & goat cheese.

Spread bean mixture over 4 tortillas - top each with 2nd tortilla. Heat tortillas on a skillet (with or without oil).

Serve with sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do you blend the lettuce too, or serve it with the lettuce? This sounds yummy, just not sure about the lettuce.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump, i love black beans!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Burgers (simple)

1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained well
    2 slices of bread, crumbled (I use Sunbeam whole wheat at 60 cals a slice)
    1/4 cup flour
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 onion, sauteed

I chop the onion and cook it in 0.5-1 tbsp olive oil. Meanwhile mash the beans and mix with bread crumbs, flour, and seasoning. Once the onion is cooked mix that in and form 6 patties. I cook them altogether in the skillet with 1-1.5 tbsp olive oil until firm. My daughter and husband both love these!

Cals: 142 Carbs: 20 Fat: 5 Protein: 6 Sodium: 123

Black Bean Quesadillas

1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed
    1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I don't like spicy, so I get no salt added diced tomatoes)
    2 garlic cloves minced
    2 TBSP cumin
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    4 fajita size tortillas

Cook beans, tomatoes, garlic, and cumin in a large skillet until juice is cooked off. On a large cookie sheet place tortillas, folded in half. Add 1/4 of the bean mixture to the inside of each tortilla and top with 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Broil for 5 mins, watching to be sure they don't burn. Flip and broil another 2-3 mins.

Cals: 364 Carbs: 49 Fat: 14 Protein: 18 Sodium: 683
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Here are a few suggestions:

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/homemade-bean-burgers

http://www.catcancook.com/black-bean-brownies/ (google black bean brownies - so many options, this is just one recipe of many)

Mex-I-Can Poached Eggs

Ingredients:
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1-2 jalapenos, diced (depending on how spicy you like things)
    3 gloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp ground cumin, or less to taste
    2 tsp ground coriander, or less to taste
    1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (most of the juice drained), or 2-3 large tomatoes diced with juices
    1 cup of cooked, rinsed black beans (I use canned)
    1 cup frozen corn
    60 grams (2 servings) crumbled feta
    2 cups baby spinach, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
    4 large eggs

Spray the sauté pan with a little cooking spray, and on medium-high heat, add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno peppers and stir often. Once they have softened, about 5 mins, add the garlic and sauté for another min. Add in the ground cumin and coriander and stir to coat, cook another 2 mins. Add the partially drained tomatoes and lower the heat to medium. Allow the mixture to simmer for 10 mins or so, until the tomatoes thicken. Add the black beans and corn to heat through, 2 mins. Add the feta, spinach and cilantro, and fold gently to combine. Create 4 small divets in the "stew" and fill each with one egg - use a ramekin to avoid breaking shells into the dish and try not to break any yolks! Cover tightly and let the eggs poach soft, until the whites are solid but the yolks are still runny, approximately 5-7 minutes. And then serve, with either a wrap, pita or just on it's own!

Use the "search" function on the forums for "black bean" and you'll return thousands of great ideas. Just search through them and find stuff you like! They are great with chicken, salad, corn, and veggies in the crock pot too!
  • tangoterry
    tangoterry Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Black beans are the bomb! Saving for later. Thanks!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend. Consider it the recipe box of the world: that's how I find most of my recipes these days. A few of my faves:

Martha Stewart Spicy Black Bean Cakes: http://www.marthastewart.com/261977/spicy-black-bean-cakes

Rachel Ray's Black Bean St-oup (more like a black bean vegetable soup than a tradtiional one): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/black-bean-stoup-and-southwestern-monte-cristo-sandwiches-recipe2/index.html

I also love to make refried black beans. I can't find the exact recipe I use, but this one is very similar. The thing that is missing from this recipe that I use is some ground chipotle in adobo: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9429?section=
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fan of black bean quesadillas.
    I guess you can make it somewhat healthy if you find wheat tortillas and some good cheese.

I practically lived off of these when i was a vegetarian.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump