C25K & C210K support group...

Options

Replies

• paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming up to the end of week 2 of C25K. I get the impression there are different versions of C25K out there. I'm using the podcasts from NHS Direct which provide 'inspirational music' and an audio coach egging you on and giving tips. You get a days break between running day which means the weeks aren't in synch with the real world so I'm going to be running an extra day at weekends ie Saturday and Sunday. I'm using the runtastic app to check my calories, speed and distance but I'm not really concerned about the second two at this stage.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    it is a little harder, physically...the treadmill offers a little more "bounce-back" then the road, so it's harder on your joints...just make sure you have good shoes and i try and stick to only doing it a few days a week outside so i have time to recover. i make sure to warm up my knee and ankle joints before i go and stretch good after. But it is soooo much more enjoyable outside! you have passing scenery and your music and time goes faster for me. plus, if you chart your miles, it gives you a much greater sense of satisfaction and success! i use this website, you can map out your route, plug in how long you went and it gives you your pace time!
    www.dailymile.com

I'm on DM too (Tori B.) - you should add me as a friend there. Another good site is mapmyrun.com. You can figure out routes - it shows elevation, etc. (so you don't map something and end up running up some mountain! LOL!) I've been playing with it in hopes that I'll get out there some day!
  • TS65
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone! I am going to stick with 3.9MPH for walking and 5.5 building up to 6.0 for running (so I can get in that 10 minute mile).

Completed W1D2 and it was a breeze.

Good Job! Enjoy that breezy feeling while it lasts. *insert evil laugh here!* :laugh:
  • TS65
    Options
    so I'm going to be running an extra day at weekends ie Saturday and Sunday.

Be careful with running on days you aren't supposed to. There are reasons for the rest days. Even if your heart/lungs can handle it, your bones, joints and ligaments need time to recover between runs (from the new pounding you are putting on them). Doing too much, too quickly can lead to injury that can sideline you for a LONG time.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I use map my run too! It's neat for hiking too! :).
    it is a little harder, physically...the treadmill offers a little more "bounce-back" then the road, so it's harder on your joints...just make sure you have good shoes and i try and stick to only doing it a few days a week outside so i have time to recover. i make sure to warm up my knee and ankle joints before i go and stretch good after. But it is soooo much more enjoyable outside! you have passing scenery and your music and time goes faster for me. plus, if you chart your miles, it gives you a much greater sense of satisfaction and success! i use this website, you can map out your route, plug in how long you went and it gives you your pace time!
    www.dailymile.com

I'm on DM too (Tori B.) - you should add me as a friend there. Another good site is mapmyrun.com. You can figure out routes - it shows elevation, etc. (so you don't map something and end up running up some mountain! LOL!) I've been playing with it in hopes that I'll get out there some day!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Oh! I just found this group and I really need to join. :flowerforyou:

I've been doing the C25K and I'm not that successful. I got to W3D1, then got sick and went back a week later and couldn't do W3D1, so the next time I tried doing a W2 a couple times but couldn't make it through there either. I can't believe one week off would push me back so far. So yesterday, I just sucked it up and restarted at the beginning. W1D1. .. I made it all the way through! Maybe I'll do it one more time and then switch to W2 again. Has anyone else had that problem?
  • TS65
    Options
    Oh! I just found this group and I really need to join. :flowerforyou:

I've been doing the C25K and I'm not that successful. I got to W3D1, then got sick and went back a week later and couldn't do W3D1, so the next time I tried doing a W2 a couple times but couldn't make it through there either. I can't believe one week off would push me back so far. So yesterday, I just sucked it up and restarted at the beginning. W1D1. .. I made it all the way through! Maybe I'll do it one more time and then switch to W2 again. Has anyone else had that problem?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just consider it a practice run. :wink: You might have still been be a little compromised from being sick.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming up to the end of week 2 of C25K. I get the impression there are different versions of C25K out there.
    There are a couple of at least--one for treadmill (time-based) and one for distance. I used a podcast similar to what you use, with music and motivation, that was made for use on a treadmill. As such, I finished the program not quite able to do a full 5K distance (running), but able to run for 30 minutes. This week, I'll bridge that gap and actually run 3.1 miles.

You get a days break between running day which means the weeks aren't in synch with the real world so I'm going to be running an extra day at weekends ie Saturday and Sunday.
    I took the weekends off, and did not feel any decrease in readiness for my Monday runs. In fact, I felt refreshed and very ready for them. That being said, it might be better to use the weekends to do some cross training rather than squeeze in an extra run for which you will not have a recovery day after. The rest days are important!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Hi, I'm planning to start this in the next day or two and would love to join in here :)
  • TS65
    Options
    We'd be glad to have you! Welcome!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    W1 D2 1.75 miles walk 3-3.5 mph run 5-6 mph it felt good and worked a hard sweat out of me really have gotten way out of shape. Finished total fo 2 miles in 34.5 mins
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just Re-Started C25K today. I had started back in January but my knee started acting up. I'm starting again this week by completing W4D1. It wasn't too bad, 2.4 miles walking @3.5 Running @5.2-4 (started upping my speed towards the end to get some more distance :wink: )
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What does everyone do on the days between C25K to workout?
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do Stroller Strides one day a week, which is basically a baby-friendly boot camp-style class, generally I consider that and the 3 days of running good. Sometimes I'll do a 5th day, either a dance game for the Wii or a boot camp (circuit training) DVD, but I don't stress about it.

I finished W1D2 of the B210K and it was already easier than day 1! The only downside was I chose to nap with my daughter this morning so I didn't get to the treadmill until after 8 PM, but hey it's over and done with.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I am doing ChaLean Extreme along with C25K. So some of the c25k days are on the same day and some of them are on a separate day. :-D I also spin somedays-when I can make it Gold's :-D I always have at least one day of NOTHING though!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Ok so im going to start next week.
    few questions,
    what app does everyone use? I just got the runkeeper on android. Any good? If not tell me what you use?

My hubby thinks i'll wimp out so even more incentive to do it!
  • TS65
    Options
    I use the c210k iphone app by Felt tip (brown icon with a 10 in the center). They also make a c25k app with a big 5 in the center. goth are good. Both start from the couch.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i just use a website to figure out what i'm doing each day and then use a watch to time myself...a lot of people use an app on their cell phone, but i prefer to run listening to my ipod...
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K app (iphone) - you can import a playlist or individual songs it and it will shuffle them while you run, and beep in to tell you when to walk / run. I tried the program years ago with a watch, but have had way more success this time around.

Now that I'm up to the straight runs with no intervals, I use Runmeter (like Runkeeper) - and set it so that it notifies me of my time, distance, and pace every 5 minutes (you can do 10 minutes or whatever you like).
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I do Crossfit at least 3 days a week, and try to do an olympic lifting class 1 day a week. I only run twice a week since Crossfit usually includes several 400 m repeats in at least one workout a week...