C25K & C210K support group...

Options

Replies

• MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90x as my main training program and doing C25K so that I can go for a run with a friend of mine this summer ;)
    What does everyone do on the days between C25K to workout?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I love the C25K app (iphone) - you can import a playlist or individual songs it and it will shuffle them while you run, and beep in to tell you when to walk / run. I tried the program years ago with a watch, but have had way more success this time around.

Now that I'm up to the straight runs with no intervals, I use Runmeter (like Runkeeper) - and set it so that it notifies me of my time, distance, and pace every 5 minutes (you can do 10 minutes or whatever you like).
    Similar for me, I can run multiple things at a time on my droid. So I have my workout play list shuffling while c25k is running, I also use wireless headphones now....so wonderful! No need to even mess with the phone or anything, out notifies me when to run and when to walk and I click a button on my headphones to skip a song or change the volume-with no cords!! :)
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    what app does everyone use? I just got the runkeeper on android. Any good? If not tell me what you use?
    I use RunKeeper to keep a log of my runs. For the actually timing of intervals, I downloaded and listened to music podcasts (free) from http://runningintoshape.com

My hubby thinks i'll wimp out so even more incentive to do it!
    Us guys are used to being wrong. Don't let this be an exception!
  • artvandalay
    Options
    What does everyone do on the days between C25K to workout?
    I am doing ChaLean Extreme along with C25K. So some of the c25k days are on the same day and some of them are on a separate day. :-D I also spin somedays-when I can make it Gold's :-D I always have at least one day of NOTHING though!

I have been trying to do 30 Day Shred. I want to do some sort of weight training on days inbetween C25K.

I didn't even realize there was a Bridge to 10K... now I'm intrigued!

I just finished Week 3 and will start Week 4 this weekend.

If any other c25K'ers want to add me as a friend, I can use the support!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    W5/D3 of c210k (running portion) 1.46 mi 23 minutes 15:45 pace
    W5/D3 of c210k (walking portion) 1.75 mi 35 minutes 20:00 pace

It still amazes me how much of running is a complete and utter mind game! The last 2 (running) days have been a psychological battle during the first few intervals. Once I get going, I'm good, but man those first few minutes are rough! On a good note, I was able to pull out my fastest time yet on the last interval (slow for most, but fast for me!!) YAY ME!

Make sure to log in your runs so we can cheer you on! *where's the cheerleader smiley?*
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Hey all...I am looking to start the C25k and I live in Florida...it's really too hot right now (and would kill my knees) to go running outside, so I am wondering how many of you do this on the treadmill?

I just feel like on a treadmill you will constantly be adjusting your speed, especially starting out. Is it possible? Or is it just really annoying?

I did the whole program on the treadmill and it's just now getting nice out so I'm working on getting outside to run a couple of times a week too.
  • jilld76
    Options
    Ok so im going to start next week.
    few questions,
    what app does everyone use? I just got the runkeeper on android. Any good? If not tell me what you use?

My hubby thinks i'll wimp out so even more incentive to do it!

I downloaded podcasts with music and they tell you when to walk and run. If you google C25K podcasts some should come up. I have them from a few different people, some of them I don't really love the music, because it's not my kind of stuff, so some weeks I would just use my own music and keep track of when to switch (I was on a treadmill so it was pretty easy)

But I also downloaded runkeeper to start using on my outside runs and I love it! I'm all done with the program, so I don't need to know when to run & walk, but I think there is a way to set that up. I love how it tells you your distance and pace periodically.
  • Flocker1979
    Options
    Hey, everyone!
    I am on week 2 day 2 of my C25K.
    Last night I did day 1 week 2 after a binge on Tuesday and feeling horrible all yesterday.
    I really had to push myself to do it, but I not only got through it, but realized I did a bit more than I was supposed to according to the printout I had failed to read before going to the gym.
    That made me feel great!
    Anyone have problems with shin-splints? I've been lucky this time, but doing a lot of exercises trying to stave them off.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    C25K W1 D3 1.75 miles walk 3-3.5 mph run 5-6 mph worked a hard sweat out of me. Finished total fo 2 miles.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i went for a "fun run" today, on an off-day for C25k...i know i should have probably rested but it was soooo nice out! i ended up doing 1.35 miles in 14.45...for a run pace of 11 minutes a mile! I felt so proud of myself! i know i won't win any trophies with an 11 minute mile, but for me that's progress!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey all...I am looking to start the C25k and I live in Florida...it's really too hot right now (and would kill my knees) to go running outside, so I am wondering how many of you do this on the treadmill?

I just feel like on a treadmill you will constantly be adjusting your speed, especially starting out. Is it possible? Or is it just really annoying?

I live in FL too so I know what you mean! There are seriously only a few months out of the year I can stand to run outside. I'm on week 2 day 2, and I've used the treadmill everyday except one... I ran outside one night (super late- at like midnight) because the weather was awesome and it was definitely more enjoyable. But you get used to changing the time on the treadmill though. I walk at 3.5 and run at 5.0... I start bumping the speed up/down 5 seconds before the interval changes. It's actually a distraction from the pain of running because you're focused on the time and when you change your speed.

On a side note- I notice that everyone seems to say that running outside is harder on their knees, ankles, etc. I actually experience the opposite... I have weak ankles and have sprained both of them a couple times at least. I find that running on the treadmill is much rougher on my ankles than it is when I run outside/ around the track. I think it might just be bad form but I don't know! Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice on how to lessen the pressure on my ankles..?

Also- a lot of people say the treadmill is easier than outside b/c of the propelling motion of the motor, etc.. tonight I decided to put a slight incline on the treadmill just to simulate a more realistic running surface. I only added a .5 incline, but it made it so much harder! Are you guys using an incline, or just keeping the treadmill flat? Has anyone completed the c25k program strictly on the treadmill and then experienced difficulty running a 5k outside?

Thanks!
  • TS65
    Options

I live in FL too so I know what you mean! There are seriously only a few months out of the year I can stand to run outside. I'm on week 2 day 2, and I've used the treadmill everyday except one... I ran outside one night (super late- at like midnight) because the weather was awesome and it was definitely more enjoyable. But you get used to changing the time on the treadmill though. I walk at 3.5 and run at 5.0... I start bumping the speed up/down 5 seconds before the interval changes. It's actually a distraction from the pain of running because you're focused on the time and when you change your speed.

On a side note- I notice that everyone seems to say that running outside is harder on their knees, ankles, etc. I actually experience the opposite... I have weak ankles and have sprained both of them a couple times at least. I find that running on the treadmill is much rougher on my ankles than it is when I run outside/ around the track. I think it might just be bad form but I don't know! Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice on how to lessen the pressure on my ankles..?

Also- a lot of people say the treadmill is easier than outside b/c of the propelling motion of the motor, etc.. tonight I decided to put a slight incline on the treadmill just to simulate a more realistic running surface. I only added a .5 incline, but it made it so much harder! Are you guys using an incline, or just keeping the treadmill flat? Has anyone completed the c25k program strictly on the treadmill and then experienced difficulty running a 5k outside?

Thanks!

I'm just keeping the TM flat at this point. Once I'm ready, I'll move it up to a 1% incline. Right now, I'm just trying to get through the workouts. LOL!
  • artvandalay
    Options
    I'm using a 1% incline everytime I use the treadmill because someone told me that is what mimicks outdoor running.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I'm using a 1% incline everytime I use the treadmill because someone told me that is what mimicks outdoor running.
    My incline is usually set to .5% or 1% as well.

Today quad is sure from my plyos yesterday! I was planing circuits and running today...I may just run since circuits would best my quad twice as much! And I need to get week2 started!!! It needs to be completed by tuesday....
  • jilld76
    Options

Thanks!

I finished a few weeks ago and did the entire program on the treadmill. I didn't use an incline because I hadn't heard about doing that until almost the end and I wasn't going to start on the 28 minute runs with an incline, lol!

I just started my outside runs about 2 weeks ago and it's definitely been harder, mostly I think because of the hills. The roads I have the option of taking in my neighborhood are all hilly, some much more than others. If I were running a fairly flat run outside, I think I would be fine, having gone from the treadmill to outside, but because it's constantly changing it's definitely harder on your muscles and to maintain your breathing.

So I guess I would say it depends on where you'll be doing your runs outside. Today I did my 3rd outside run and it's definitely getting better, I was able to jog for 34 minutes today nonstop, which is 4 minutes more than I was doing 2 weeks ago.

Good Luck!
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi - Can I join you guys? I re-started the C25K programme today. I started it last summer but stopped when we went on holiday and then never re-started....I think I was on week 5 or 6.

So, 20 lbs lighter I thought I'd start again in the hope it might be easier (I was getting sore knees last time).

I did week 1, day 1 today and found it ok - not awful, but not easy.

I use the 'Getting Running' app for my ipod. I really like it - there is a lovely friendly sounding woman who tells you when you have 30 seconds, then 10 seconds to go! She's very encouraging!
  • TS65
    Options
    Hi - Can I join you guys? I re-started the C25K programme today. I started it last summer but stopped when we went on holiday and then never re-started....I think I was on week 5 or 6.

So, 20 lbs lighter I thought I'd start again in the hope it might be easier (I was getting sore knees last time).

I did week 1, day 1 today and found it ok - not awful, but not easy.

I use the 'Getting Running' app for my ipod. I really like it - there is a lovely friendly sounding woman who tells you when you have 30 seconds, then 10 seconds to go! She's very encouraging!

Sure! The more the merrier!
    321k Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi at the moment I'm on week 4 on C25K, up until this week i've been doing well and have liked my progress and really enjoyed it but week 4 is sooo hard. I'm on day 3 now and each time i've really struggled and had to push myself so much to finish each 5 minute jog to the point of feeling a bit sick, i'm dreading week 5. It feels like i'm not improving anymore. Did anyone else feel like this on week 4 and when will the 5 minute jogs get easier. Also should i go onto week 5 which will be in a couple of days or repeat week 4?
  • TS65
    Options
    Hi at the moment I'm on week 4 on C25K, up until this week i've been doing well and have liked my progress and really enjoyed it but week 4 is sooo hard. I'm on day 3 now and each time i've really struggled and had to push myself so much to finish each 5 minute jog to the point of feeling a bit sick, i'm dreading week 5. It feels like i'm not improving anymore. Did anyone else feel like this on week 4 and when will the 5 minute jogs get easier. Also should i go onto week 5 which will be in a couple of days or repeat week 4?

I did! It was at that point that I switched over to c210k. The workouts are an hour long, but the running segments are shorter with the recovery being longer (so it's an easier workout but twice as long). It takes 13 weeks vs. 9. I started on the same week I was on and did fine. I've been able to keep going (just about to start week 6). I really like that it's given me the ability to build up more endurance to do the longer runs.

Oh.. and there is an iphone app and podcasts out there for it too.

Here's the workout schedule:

W4/D1 - run 2 minutes, walk 3 minutes (11 times)
    D2 - same (9 times)
    D3 same (10 times)

W5/D1 - run 2:30, walk 2:30 (12 times)
    D2 - same (10 times)
    D3 (10 times)

W6/D1 - run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes (13 times)
    D2 - same (10 times)
    D3 - same (11 times)

W7/D1 - run 4 mins, walk 2 mins (10 times)
    D2 - same (9x)
    D3 - same (9x)

W8/D1 - run 5 mins, walk 1 min (10 times)
    D2 - same (8x)
    D3 - same (9x)

W9/D1 - run 7 mins, walk 2 mins (7x)
    D2 - same (6x)
    D3 - run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes (5x)

~ ~ ~ (HERE'S WHERE IT KICKS INTO 10K MODE) ~ ~ **not sure what 1 minute of walking in between accomplishes

W10/D1 - run 10 mins, walk 1 min (4x)
    D2 - Run 20 mins, walk 1 min, run 20 mins
    D3 - Run 22 mins, walk 1 min, run 22 mins

w11/d1 - run 25 mins, walk 1 min, run 25 mins
    D2 - run 30 mins, walk 1 min, run 25 mins
    D3 - run 40 mins, walk 1 min, run 10 mins

W12/D1 - run 45 min, walk1 min, run 20 min
    D2 - run 50 mins, walk 1 min, run 15 mins
    D3 - Run 45 mins

W13, D1 - run 50 mins
    D2 - run 40 mins
    D3 - Race your 10k
  • artvandalay
    Options

I did day two of Week 4 today. I did ok until the last 5 minutes. I really thought I was going to give up but I managed to finish. Week 4 is hard. Instead of doing one more day of week 4 and moving to week 5, I think I am going to keep repeating Week 4 until I feel ok with that last 5 minute run.