For all you oatmeal eaters out there

Options

Replies

• landksmommy02
    Options
    Organic instant, cook it with unsweetened vanilla soy milk and add a touch of cinnamon and brown sugar. OR some pure fruit preserves-so yummy!
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I eat oatmeal probably every other day for breakfast! I usually make one serving with protein powder (as opposed to sugar because I used to load it with sugar) and usually a cup of frozen fruit.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal now, with either raisins, apples or blueberries. An 8x8 pan makes nine servings at 161 cals each (plus milk or soy milk) and it freezes well. Just cut it before you freeze it, and heat it up <1 min in the microwave.
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I start almost everyday w/ 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats w/ dash cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, 3 or 4 prunes chopped, almond milk, 1/2 tbsp light agave and 1 Tbsp of walnuts
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Okay, I honestly don't get the instant oatmeal thing. Steel ground oats take a while, yes, but regular oats take about ten minutes. And you can put them on the stove and stir them just a couple of times. They are so easy and without the crap they put in instant oatmeal.

I will often put the water on to boil as I change the baby. Then I pour in the oats and put together my lunch or do my hair, stirring just a couple of times. And then it's ready. So easy!
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    one minute oats, raspberries and a little brown sugar :)
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning. 1/3 cup of large flake oats, 2/3 cup of water, throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes while i'm making my lunch for work. I keep bags of frozen raspberries, blueberries and cranberries in the freezer and often throw a handful in before i put it in the microwave, comes out sweet, never use sugar. Then i toss about a 1/4 cup of 0%fat Vanilla Greek yoghurt in (good protein) when it's done and voila...very filling breakfast. Sometimes i add a teaspoon of ground flaxseed .
    Keeps me full until my mid-day apple snack, but can last me til lunch if i get swamped at work!
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have Quaker Oats, cook in 3-5 minutes, but I just microwave for 1.5 minutes, add a little milk and 2 tsp brown sugar.
  • jjkriv
    jjkriv Posts: 42
    Options
    I work on the road alot so I don't really have the time to sit down and mix up oatmeal but I'll hit up McDonalds for some oatmeal,it's actually pretty tasty,it's just so weird going through a drive-thru ordering an oatmeal and bottle of water with all that temptation,I'll throw in a grilled chicken snack wrapper on some days for my meat fix.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Quick oats with almond butter and half a banana! I even crave it for lunch and dinner sometimes
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The best for you is the type that takes 5 minutes to cook; love it with raisins, a little smart balance butter, and a dash of soy milk. Yummy and filling!!! I have it most mornings.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are awesome!! :happy: Thank you thank you for all the great ideas, this will definately be on my grocery list for this week!! So many different ways to make it will keep it from getting boring, and I wanna like it because it's so good for you and keeps you full awhile. When I eat cereal or soemthing like that I'm more hungry than when I didn't eat anything. I will definately try oatmeal this week and thanks again for all the great replies!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    while steel cut and "regular" oatmeal is better for you than instant, i have to say the combination of Better Oats Lavish Dark Chocolate instant oatmeal and a 1/2 Tbsp of natural peanut butter is a verrrrry yummy breakfast or snack! ... I am going to have to go back thru all the responses to jot down all the fabulous mix-in ideas! Happy Breakfast everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I HATED oatmeal growing up. Did the same as you and decided to give it a try, again, while I was pregnant. Anyway, the way I found that I like it best is: maple and brown sugar or blueberry cream instant oatmeal made with 1/3 cup milk NOT WATER. It tastes a whole lot better with milk to me. I use 2 percent milk.

almond milk is the way to go :) yum!!
  • goodvibrations
    Options
    I like Coaches Oats from Costco...made with water, and I add a few blueberries, cinnamon and either splenda or a teaspoon of light agave syrup to sweeten. I also like mine chewy and thick. I'll make a batch partially cooked for the week and nuke a cupful each day with a little bit of filtered water. I find the instant too pastey and/or too sweet and not enough in each packet. There is a health food brand called Nature's Path that has double-sized packets and heartier oats, so its not so pastey tasting after nuking.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i cut up an apple and eat that in it. i like cinnamon (which helps breakd donw sugar and helps prevent cancer so eat lots of it) i add a tiny bit of salt if im making it on the stove.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Is instant ok? What brands and kinds are some favorites?

Watch the sugar on the instants oatmeal brands. (I do get trader joe's complete, because the sugar's not too bad & it's convenient for work)

My old roommate used to pour regular oatmeal in to a bowl of hot and stick it in the microwave before she went to bed then nuked in the morning when she was getting ready for work. Sort of the best of both worlds as far as convenience/low-sugar and health.

My sister makes the best oatmeal with MILK, WHEAT GERM and DRIED CRANBERRIES. Mine never turns out as good as hers i think there's something she's not telling me.
  • Joyceconroy
    Options
    Hi, I don't think you can beat Quaker Oats. And I have been told that the large flakes are the best to eat. I eat Quaker Oats "raw" with fat free yogurt when I want a breakfast that is filling and will "last". I am not a big fan of cooked oatmeal but to eat the Quaker High Fibre Wild Berry Medley (ther are other choices). It is easy - microwaves in 1 to 2 minutes. I make it with water and then add a little skim milk after it is cooked. 150 calories, 2 g fat, 29 g carbs, and 3 g protein.....
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Steel Cut Oatmeal. No funky stuff in it, comes frozen - three individually packaged servings each box for like $1.60 or so I think. You just put in the microwave from 3 minutes and enjoy!

I've never found any other oatmeal that I've like at all besides this one. I eat mine with either nothing or two tablespoons of milk in it.

Good Luck!

I too love the Trader Joe's Frozen Steel Cut Oatmeal. I add on or more of the follwing:

Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, chopped apple
    Walnuts, pinenuts or slivered almonds
    Dried cranberries, cherries or raisins
    Non-fat plain yogurt or Cottage Cheese
    Trader Joes chuncky apple sauce

If I'm splurging, I like brown sugar, butter, raisins, and milk.

Oats are pretty amazing for you! Enjoy.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    My favorite is old fashioned oats made with fat-free milk instead of water. I add about 6 grains of salt, and a hefty shake of both cinnamon and ginger. My microwave has an "oatmeal" setting so it doesn't boil over when I cook it. When it's done, I add a sliced banana. Yummy.