Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    "Nightmare" first commute post cold

21kmh to work
    25kmh home (but that includes a huge downhill)

20mph winds, horseshoe shaped route.

Wheel sucker on the way to work along a nice flat straight with the headwind, and then some guy on a "sit up and beg" twiddled past me on the way home. (exaggeration, he was on a mudguard shorn road bike, but he really wasn't putting any effort into going a couple of kmh faster than me)

But on comparison with previous logged routes, it's about the same, so must just be feeling bad.

It doesn't take long to lose a little 'performance,' especially after illness...

You'll get it back (and some.) Don't beat yourself up about it :wink:
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Aye I know it comes back but still...
    It was this morning when I went for a quick burst standing up and discovered my left leg was a bit weak.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Is anyone joining me in National Bike to work day tomorrow? I try to ride twice a week. I'm hoping to see few more people tomorrow, so I don't feel like I'm the only one. There are supposed to be 75 checkpoints giving out refreshments and prizes in San Diego, are any other cities doing anything?
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Is anyone joining me in National Bike to work day tomorrow? I try to ride twice a week. I'm hoping to see few more people tomorrow, so I don't feel like I'm the only one. There are supposed to be 75 checkpoints giving out refreshments and prizes in San Diego, are any other cities doing anything?

I will be. Although I start my ride at 9:10 and end around 9:50 - 10:00 so I don't see many others out at that time.

We had an official one last Thursday with the refreshments stands, but I couldn't find the one on my route to work. It was at a college and I didn't want to search too hard.
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well I've had my bike for almost 6 months, and last night we went and bought my boyfrienda bike.. I havent been very encouraged to ride it alone at 10 o clock at night.. so now we are gonna be riding pretty much every night :D
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    My ride today:

Ride Time: 41:49
    Stopped Time: 0:00
    Distance: 12.87 miles
    Average: 18.47 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 25.61 miles/h

Mile 01 - Average 16.75 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 20.37 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 16.69 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 20.65 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 18.22 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 16.74 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 18.26 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 17.24 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 21.02 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 16.45 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 18.99 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 21.04 miles/h

:wink:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yesterday while I was cycling I got scratched on the neck by a low hanging tree branch. Guess which idiot had forgotten about it by this morning, yep that'd be me, although I got smacked round the head by it today, totally didn't see it coming! Any bets on the chances of me forgetting to duck under it again by Monday :blushing:
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Yesterday while I was cycling I got scratched on the neck by a low hanging tree branch. Guess which idiot had forgotten about it by this morning, yep that'd be me, although I got smacked round the head by it today, totally didn't see it coming! Any bets on the chances of me forgetting to duck under it again by Monday :blushing:

LMAO!!! :laugh:

Mind you, I can't talk, the other day I suddenly realised that a bramble sticking out of the hedge was about to smack me in the face, so I swerved to avoid it and nearly fell off!!!!

I did post before but no responses, can anyone recommend any really decent lady-specific padded cycling leggings - preferably 3/4 length or full length - I'm not a shorts person. I have recently noticed that I have some uncomfortably pinching going on in places where it shouldn't.....!! :blushing: My bike is due a service this weekend so while I'm there I plan to get the saddle tilted a little to see if that helps.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Today's ride...

Ride Time: 2:04:41
    Stopped Time: 0:44
    Distance: 34.85 miles
    Average: 16.77 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 38.93 miles/h

Mile 01 - Average 13.50 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 13.97 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 11.79 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 11.31 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 13.33 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 21.35 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 27.49 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 22.34 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 19.58 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 20.20 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 22.34 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 15.68 miles/h
    Mile 13 - Average 19.22 miles/h
    Mile 14 - Average 15.68 miles/h
    Mile 15 - Average 20.78 miles/h
    Mile 16 - Average 21.81 miles/h
    Mile 17 - Average 22.09 miles/h
    Mile 18 - Average 21.00 miles/h
    Mile 19 - Average 17.50 miles/h
    Mile 20 - Average 19.47 miles/h
    Mile 21 - Average 19.08 miles/h
    Mile 22 - Average 18.58 miles/h
    Mile 23 - Average 18.11 miles/h
    Mile 24 - Average 13.57 miles/h
    Mile 25 - Average 16.59 miles/h
    Mile 26 - Average 15.32 miles/h
    Mile 27 - Average 13.27 miles/h
    Mile 28 - Average 16.18 miles/h
    Mile 29 - Average 17.44 miles/h
    Mile 30 - Average 14.91 miles/h
    Mile 31 - Average 14.46 miles/h
    Mile 32 - Average 11.42 miles/h
    Mile 33 - Average 26.31 miles/h
    Mile 34 - Average 16.26 miles/h
  • BryanAir
    Options
    I did a short little ride to shake out any bugs from some adjustments I performed on my bike. I happened upon a community event where I got a free bottle of water and a nice brat that cancelled out the calorie burn from the ride. :tongue:
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I did post before but no responses, can anyone recommend any really decent lady-specific padded cycling leggings - preferably 3/4 length or full length - I'm not a shorts person. I have recently noticed that I have some uncomfortably pinching going on in places where it shouldn't.....!! :blushing: My bike is due a service this weekend so while I'm there I plan to get the saddle tilted a little to see if that helps.

I have 3/4 pair of Gore that got from Bike Nashbar that are really good. They come about 2 inches past my knees. You can also get shorts that come almost to your knees. I have some that are the Pearl Izumi Quest shorts and they are my favorites. I have 3 pair!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I just found this thread. I am biking now in training for my first sprint tri in June. I HATED it when I started this past winter, but now I really enjoy it. My legs have gotten strong enough for me to make up the hills around my town (I live in a town COVERED in hills!) so I can actually go for a nice long ride now. I am on my old MTB for now. My dad is an avid cyclist and I will be using his roadbike in my tri (with some parts changed out of course).

I am considering doing a duathlon in July, run 3 mi, bike 15 mi, run 3 min. Has anyone here done a duathlon before?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Road bike or hybrid? I'm so torn on what to choose. I want to be able to ride around for fitness, but there are some nice gravel paths that could be a lot of fun to ride on. I'm still reading about it, but for the moment I have discovered spin class at the gym. It's the first group exercise class that I have really enjoyed and not felt embarrassed trying to keep up in.

Now I need to get some bike shorts or leggings. I'm afraid some will be too tight on my fat thighs if they fit my waist and hips. Any recommendations? Thanks!

What about a cyclocross bike? I have thought that the next time I buy a bike it will be a cyclocross bike which will replace my road bike and my mountain bike. I started mountain biking early on when there were only rigid bikes so that doesn't scare me. Seems like a good choice to me for your purposes.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Has it been windy enough for everyone (in the UK anyway?)

Haven't been out on my bike since Saturday and beginning to become grumpy :grumble:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Road bike or hybrid? I'm so torn on what to choose. I want to be able to ride around for fitness, but there are some nice gravel paths that could be a lot of fun to ride on. I'm still reading about it, but for the moment I have discovered spin class at the gym. It's the first group exercise class that I have really enjoyed and not felt embarrassed trying to keep up in.

Now I need to get some bike shorts or leggings. I'm afraid some will be too tight on my fat thighs if they fit my waist and hips. Any recommendations? Thanks!

What about a cyclocross bike? I have thought that the next time I buy a bike it will be a cyclocross bike which will replace my road bike and my mountain bike. I started mountain biking early on when there were only rigid bikes so that doesn't scare me. Seems like a good choice to me for your purposes.

Seconded on the Cyclocross bike! I'd like one for the winter commute instead of using my carbon road bike!
  • BryanAir
    Options

Haven't been out on my bike since Saturday and beginning to become grumpy :grumble:

I rode into work into a 25 mph wind. It was only 6 mph when I left my house but quickly started building. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll be driving.

I have to drive in anyway because I'm getting a set of bicycle tools and a stand delivered to my office tomorrow. I look forward to learning everything I need to know to keep my bike running in tip top condition. I am trying to ride 5000 miles on my bike (over 1/10th of the way there) and I imagine that will take a bit of maintenance.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I wound up buying a Specialized Ariel hybrid with a lockable front suspension fork and hydraulic disc brakes.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52723&scid=1003&scname=Path/Gravel

I've ridden it for a couple rides so far (5 and 8 miles) and it does great on the mixed paved and gravel paths around here. Most of the cyclocross bikes seemed to be more expensive, and I'm still a novice. I guess the main point is that I have a bike, and have really enjoyed riding it thus far. :bigsmile:

I'm still working on my fitness and getting used to longer times in the saddle. There are hills everywhere, even if I am not trying to tackle the big ones yet. Pushing up the low grade by the creek had my heart rate well into the higher zones, just like spin class. The worst is the steeper ride up my own street on the way home. Granny gears are good!
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Ever so slightly lol My commute has been in slow motion these past few days, the rain + wind yesterday was extra fun ... oh and the killer geese protecting their babies on the tow path :bigsmile:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I wound up buying a Specialized Ariel hybrid with a lockable front suspension fork and hydraulic disc brakes.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52723&scid=1003&scname=Path/Gravel

I've ridden it for a couple rides so far (5 and 8 miles) and it does great on the mixed paved and gravel paths around here. Most of the cyclocross bikes seemed to be more expensive, and I'm still a novice. I guess the main point is that I have a bike, and have really enjoyed riding it thus far. :bigsmile:

I'm still working on my fitness and getting used to longer times in the saddle. There are hills everywhere, even if I am not trying to tackle the big ones yet. Pushing up the low grade by the creek had my heart rate well into the higher zones, just like spin class. The worst is the steeper ride up my own street on the way home. Granny gears are good!

YES! Agree with the "main point;" enjoy!!!
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    Robin, that sounds like my rides too! I have a Specialized Expedition and yes, the granny gears are good for the steep hill up to my house! I've had this bike for three years now and I'm definitely itching for a road bike.

I'm looking at the Cannondale Synapse right now...anyone have one? Pros, cons?