Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• MaynardMonster
    MaynardMonster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey guys im Maynard! i love riding bikes!

I ride fixed because i cant afford gears or brakes!

:D
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I didn't ride to work yesterday as I usually do and am feeling pretty sluggish today. Have an appointment to go Mt. biking before work tomorrow, so it's all good.

Plus this Friday is Critical Mass in San Diego, so I can't wait!
  • MaynardMonster
    MaynardMonster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't ride to work yesterday as I usually do and am feeling pretty sluggish today. Have an appointment to go Mt. biking before work tomorrow, so it's all good.

Plus this Friday is Critical Mass in San Diego, so I can't wait!

sweet! were having our first (in years) Orange County Critical Mass tomorrow!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    sweet! were having our first (in years) Orange County Critical Mass tomorrow!

The one in San Diego is a pretty big deal. We have at least 600 people every month! The weather should be nice, so there should be more.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Hmmm.

Is it just me or is there a real gap in the market for "nice" ladies cycling gear?

I mean, I'm not a girly-girl by any means, but why is it that just about every single set of leggings/shorts is black??? Can't we have blue or purple or red or something - or I am just not finding the right brands?! Also in the interests of visibility you'd think that black would not be the first choice of colour...!

Does anyone know if there is nice ladies stuff out there anywhere - not black LOL - preferably in the UK????
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

Is it just me or is there a real gap in the market for "nice" ladies cycling gear?

I mean, I'm not a girly-girl by any means, but why is it that just about every single set of leggings/shorts is black??? Can't we have blue or purple or red or something - or I am just not finding the right brands?! Also in the interests of visibility you'd think that black would not be the first choice of colour...!

Does anyone know if there is nice ladies stuff out there anywhere - not black LOL - preferably in the UK????

What about the DHB stuff at Wiggle?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=dhb+2011/

Nice bright tops! You are right though; most if not all the bottoms are black!
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

Hmmm yeah all of the leggings/shorts I own are black. As already mentioned Wiggles always worth a look, I recently bought a few tops from Dare2b sale and am really pleased with them got a nice blue one and a pink one.

My struggle is ladies padded shorts, I just can't get along with them at all!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Missed my weekly spinning class yesterday because I've had the stomach crap. Pretty bummed because I know how quickly you can backtrack on progress. Last Saturday I had a lonely solo ride but I climbed my nemesis hills (5 straight miles of tough climb) into a headwind. I never stopped and and I never felt like I couldn't do it. Progress! It felt great even though I had to cut the rest of the ride short at 10 miles. Felt great to climb those damn hills. Last year I couldn't do it at all.
  • marwoz
    marwoz Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a cycling nut; have been for 20+ years. I ride a Trek 5000 carbon frame right now. I used to ride a lot more than I do now. There are so many things that get in the way. When I do ride its mostly with a group of 6 to 15 people and we ussually go 36 miles or so in the morning. Our average speed is in the upper teens - 18 to 20 mph.
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    I just signed up to do a century (my first!) in the Adirondacks this fall. It's a charity ride for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. One of my friends recently found out her son has leukemia so I'm riding for him.

What's really cool is they train you for 18-20 weeks so you can definitely finish it! Training starts next week, I think. Looking forward to seeing the numbers on my weight ticker increase too!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I just signed up to do a century (my first!) in the Adirondacks this fall. It's a charity ride for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. One of my friends recently found out her son has leukemia so I'm riding for him.

What's really cool is they train you for 18-20 weeks so you can definitely finish it! Training starts next week, I think. Looking forward to seeing the numbers on my weight ticker increase too!

That sounds like it will be a nice adventure .Be sure to update this thread with your training progress. I currently ride >100 miles a week, but I know a century would kill me if done all at once.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I'm chuffed to bits...

I smashed my time for getting into work this morning :smile:

Ride Time: 39:46
    Stopped Time: 0:00
    Distance: 12.89 miles
    Average: 19.44 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 26.50 miles/h
    Ahead of Best Ride: 1:39

Mile 01 - Average 17.98 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 22.84 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 19.02 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 22.98 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 19.73 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 19.99 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 19.96 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 15.56 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 22.95 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 17.34 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 19.74 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 19.51 miles/h
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Well done - that's cracking! :drinker:
  • Lanfear
    Options
    What about the DHB stuff at Wiggle?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=dhb+2011/

Nice bright tops! You are right though; most if not all the bottoms are black!

Hmmm yeah all of the leggings/shorts I own are black. As already mentioned Wiggles always worth a look, I recently bought a few tops from Dare2b sale and am really pleased with them got a nice blue one and a pink one.

My struggle is ladies padded shorts, I just can't get along with them at all!

Thanks both, will have a look and see what I can find. I don't know how to quote more than one person on this site!

I currently don't have any ladies-specific cycling bottoms, I am currently using my OH's spare pair of leggings :smile: Feels like I have a mattress down my pants LOL!!

Part of the problem is I still don't really see myself as a "cyclist" so I feel a bit daft in all the gear, if that makes sense, like I'm an imposter or something!!!! :laugh: But I guess if the padded bit saves my tender bits then it's worth it LOL.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Part of the problem is I still don't really see myself as a "cyclist" so I feel a bit daft in all the gear...

Oh, I hate cycling; I just like dressing up in all the spandex :laugh:
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    I started cycling (well I bought a second hand bike) last year and cycled three times then stopped. This year I've put in a bit more effort and have just bought a Scott Contessa CR1 and have completed one sportive around the Dales with another one tomorrow in Richmond, North Yorkshire
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is I still don't really see myself as a "cyclist" so I feel a bit daft in all the gear...

Oh, I hate cycling; I just like dressing up in all the spandex :laugh:

Aye, I only do it for the retro team jerseys from Prendas
  • Lanfear
    Options
    Oh, I hate cycling; I just like dressing up in all the spandex laugh

Aye, I only do it for the retro team jerseys from Prendas

LMAO!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I started cycling (well I bought a second hand bike) last year and cycled three times then stopped. This year I've put in a bit more effort and have just bought a Scott Contessa CR1 and have completed one sportive around the Dales with another one tomorrow in Richmond, North Yorkshire

Ooooh, I have a Scott - a Contessa Speedster 35 :smile: She's gorgeous!!!!

Can anyone tell me how to double-quote please, it's really annoying!!!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hoping for a rain-free day so we can do our first family bike-ride of the year! One of my absolute favourite things to do as a family! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just been out on my Dawes Sardar tourer, bit windy today and was going for a hilly route so with a few weeks off thought this would be best option.

2 hours either directly into the wind or climbing between Wormit and Strathmiglo via Newburgh, followed by a 2 hour respite as I got a massive shove across the Howe of Fife, up Cults hill, down to Kennoway and Leven and a long the East Neuk to Crail, then hit the wind again all the way home.

6hrs. 42mins and 30 seconds
    19.9kmh average
    57kmh max (was holding back on the hills due to road conditions and the wind causing handling issues)
    133.44km total
    And the calculator I use reckons 267 Calories

Off for a bath I think, no chance of me standing up in a shower.

(GPS failed a couple of times so going to need to stitch the route together)